• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

I think ZtS is a shit poster and all around annoying fuckboy, but he's super legit at Tekken. He's probably pretty good at SF. Not sure what this is supposed to prove.

this gif reminds me of Karin

tumblr_ok1bfmL3Ll1re6nxeo1_500.gif

Like who?

Chris G went on a rant a few weeks about the game. PR Balrog constantly flipflops but that's due to salt usually. Chris 9-1 T gets angry but that's Chris T. And the pros make fun of 8/6.5 frames of lag, Laura/Mika tech, Alex/FANG/Nash. and a bunch more. Most of them aren't doing it to shitpost in a mean way though.

And to be fair, Chris G said he still likes the game more than 4 lol

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Pros used to talk a lot of shit about SF4, too. It's so funny to see how that has now become the nostalgic darling.

Pros used to talk a lot of shit about SF4, too. It's so funny to see how that has now become the nostalgic darling.

SF4 is like, the worst SF for casuals to start with too because of how many bad habits it develops for other games. I had a good enough time with 4 in its heyday and roster is still mostly excellent (when's Poison in SFV, Capcom?) but there's just something...off about that game that makes it feel less fun to play than 2, the Alpha series, 3 and 5.

Moaradin

It's the Zelda cycle, but it applies to Street Fighter as well. Pretty much every new entry since SF2 has been hated on when it came out.

Hyun Sai

Chris G went on a rant a few weeks about the game. PR Balrog constantly flipflops but that's due to salt usually. Chris 9-1 T gets angry but that's Chris T. And the pros make fun of 8/6.5 frames of lag, Laura/Mika tech, Alex/FANG/Nash. and a bunch more. Most of them aren't doing it to shitpost in a mean way though.

Chris G rant was not about the game, more about those players who download their Top 5 characters. He even admitted that Guile was SUPER good.

New002

Yeah SFIV is when I got really into things, and that game always felt like a game that people didn't necessarily love, but played because it was SF and it had been so long since Third Strike. Now it feels like we're going down the same path.

Shadoken

Xian, and every american player apparently

Oh lol , yea I seen that. I thought you meant wasting time shitposting on forums or something.

nded

Yeah SFIV is when I got really into things, and that game always felt like a game that people didn't necessarily love, but played because it was SF and it had been so long since Third Strike Super Turbo. Now it feels like we're going down the same path.

I think this is more accurate as far general FGC opinion goes.

Moaradin

SF4 at the highest level was amazing to watch. The last EVO for SF4 was one of the best video game tournaments, PERIOD. Though that game also had its fair share of boring ass matches. A lot of Ultra tournaments were boring as hell leading up to that final EVO. Elena had a lot to do with that.

I don't think there's anything saying SFV can't reach those highs once the game matures. We've had great tournaments like EVO and Capcom Cup.

I think this is more accurate as far general FGC opinion goes.

That's been the opinion of every Street Fighter, not just V. I also think social media plus more players in general exaggerates the negativity. I mean, shit, on GAF, people make topics about it all the time, but look what got voted (that shit should have been closer).

Same with tournament entries and viewers. Some people claim it's boring to watch, but that shit pulls in more viewers than ever before regarding the series.

But SF4 was fun to watch in its own right, because it had such crazy moments. SFV feels like it's more about "honest" but clutch moments. They are all tense, for all games, but for different reasons.

Nah, SFIV was shit. Always was and always will be, but it's a great spectator event compared to SFV.

I rather SF4 over 5, if PC was active i play that over 5, if Marvel and Tekken 7 kills SFV, i am hitting the uninstall and playing one of those instead..

Also, almost one year later and SFV netcode is pure utter shit, PC netcode for SF4 was great from day one, even on GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE...

I rather SF4 over 5, if PC was active i play that over 5, if Marvel and Tekken 7 kills SFV, i am hitting the uninstall and playing one of those instead..

Also, almost one year later and SFV netcode is pure utter shit, PC netcode for SF4 was great from day one, even on GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE...

Luuuulll you know that ain't true fam. That shit was bad but because everything was underwater or laggy instead of rollbacks and long loading times.

Luuuulll you know that ain't true fam. That shit was bad but because everything was underwater or laggy instead of rollbacks and long loading times.

I stand by that opinion, playing SF4 on PC day one, and the netcode was always been very good to me, maybe you got shit internet, i don't know, or a shit PC, but my PC ran SF4 at 180 PLUS frames per second i never felt any of the underwater shit..

Edit: I am taking about PC version of SF4, which anyone will tell you the netcode was better than console, in general PC version was the best version to play not consoles.. PC version you could skip load times, by simply pushing start when the vs screen showed up after character selections..

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
For me personally, SFV is more fun to play, but SF4 was more fun to watch. I think the pressure game and more comeback potential make V a little boring on the pro level.

Yeah that's just not true. I hated that input lag necode and take SFV's any day over that one.

I personally mostly stopped watching MvC3, BlazBllue, Skullgirls and other fighting game streams when I stopped playing those fighters I barely even watch Guilty Gear, KI, MKX and KI much at all since I don't play them. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only player who only tunes in a lot for games that I actually play. When you look at it like that it is no surprise that SF4 was a bigger spectator spectacle than SFV has yet to become. It just had stronger start, more characters and more talent competing in it at the time.

Such a shame Capcom had to rush SFV because it is the only SF besides 3S that I really enjoy. Compared to SF4 it controls and plays like a dream.
SF4 is like, the worst SF for casuals to start with too because of how many bad habits it develops for other games. I had a good enough time with 4 in its heyday and roster is still mostly excellent (when's Poison in SFV, Capcom?) but there's just something...off about that game that makes it feel less fun to play than 2, the Alpha series, 3 and 5.
SF4 is lucky SFxT came out and had the worst launch (and subsequent fuckups at first) of any Capcom fighting game. Next to that SF4 doesn't look so bad.

Moaradin

I put thousands of hours into SF4 PC online, and that shit ain't as good as SFVs netcode. Under the most optimal conditions, it felt pretty good. But most matches had input lag and that's almost never preferable to rollback.

Most of my matches in SFV are very solid. Most have no rollback at all, and some have slight rollback, but still perfectly playable and way preferable to any input lag. The really bad matches that teleport all over the place are very rare for me and even then it isn't any worse than the slow motion, under water matches that SF4 could have pretty frequently.

I personally mostly stopped watching MvC3, BlazBllue, Skullgirls and other fighting game streams when I stopped playing those fighters I barely even watch Guilty Gear, KI, MKX and KI much at all since I don't play them. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only player who only tunes in a lot for games that I actually play. When you look at it like that it is no surprise that SF4 was a bigger spectator spectacle than SFV has yet to become. It just had stronger start, more characters and more talent competing in it at the time.
I've always tuned in to competitive gaming when I feel I have something to learn to improve my own play. When I know my character isn't present, I only watch if it's Evo or I'm working really hard at procrastinating. If no one is doing anything new with my characters, I don't feel that I have a reason to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom