• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

meerak

Where do we vote? SFV would be my favourite fighter of the year, fo sho sons.

In fact...

It may be my favourite fighter of all time! Truly! I love SFV like I haven't loved punching people since TTT or something.

In fact, I love it so much that the other day, when my little bro (who just moved yesterday) dropped a hint he has been playing SFII at arcades, I went out and bought a PS4Pro for myself, gave him my old PS4 and SFIV TE stick and got him a copy of SFV (fucking hard to find physically, by the by) and BAM! A new challenger.

Where do we vote? SFV would be my favourite fighter of the year, fo sho sons.

In fact...

It may be my favourite fighter of all time! Truly! I love SFV like I haven't loved punching people since TTT or something.

In fact, I love it so much that the other day, when my little bro (who just moved yesterday) dropped a hint he has been playing SFII at arcades, I went out and bought a PS4Pro for myself, gave him my old PS4 and SFIV TE stick and got him a copy of SFV (fucking hard to find physically, by the by) and BAM! A new challenger.

You can't vote for it being best fighter, but you can vote for it being best E-Sports game

http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

petran79

Banned
I play the PC version with Vsync off, both in game config file and enabling fast sync in Nvidia panel. Much smoother experience. With vsync on, game is unplayable.

If I play against PS4 players, does PC add extra frame delay to match the PS4 version or do I have an advantage?

LakeEarth

I play the PC version with Vsync off, both in game config file and enabling fast sync in Nvidia panel. Much smoother experience. With vsync on, game is unplayable.

If I play against PS4 players, does PC add extra frame delay to match the PS4 version or do I have an advantage?

Not speaking from experience, but I believe the match will desync and become a jittery mess.

Skab

what am i reading

Onemic

SF5 actually got better as the year went on.
And that's a pretty big reason why he'll ALWAYS be a great character in which ever game he appears in.

Ryu, Ken and Chun-Li will never be allowed to be weak in any street fighter game since they're always the "big 3" characters for the franchise. Even Guile isn't as popular as those 3.

Chun was shit in SF4 for a long time.

I'd replace Chun with Akuma.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Unplayable because of the natural input lag or because vsync actively caused stuttering or slowdown issues or something?

petran79

Banned
Unplayable because of the natural input lag or because vsync actively caused stuttering or slowdown issues or something?

Input lag.

Fast sync eliminates stuttering. Though in games like Melty Blood and Arcana Heart it doubles game speed, so I have to let the application decide in that case. I think SFV must be the game with the most noticable difference with vsync off and on.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Input lag.

Fast sync eliminates stuttering. Though in games like Melty Blood and Arcana Heart it doubles game speed, so I have to let the application decide in that case. I think SFV must be the game with the most noticable difference with vsync off and on.
So what you're saying is that you can't handle something that virtually the entire playerbase can?

I don't deny there's a perceptible difference but if there's any chance it interferes with the integrity of online connections it's not worth it.

Csr

SF5 actually got better as the year went on.
And that's a pretty big reason why he'll ALWAYS be a great character in which ever game he appears in.

Ryu, Ken and Chun-Li will never be allowed to be weak in any street fighter game since they're always the "big 3" characters for the franchise. Even Guile isn't as popular as those 3.

Ryu wasn't that strong in later versions of sfiv though, Daigo was complaining about him and eventually switched to E.Ryu for this reason. It seems they tried to avoid making the same mistake this time.
edit: ah yes chun li wasn't that strong either.

Csr

So what you're saying is that you can't handle something that virtually the entire playerbase can?

I don't deny there's a perceptible difference but if there's any chance it interferes with the integrity of online connections it's not worth it.

There hasn't been any report that desyncs can be caused from disabling vsync or anything, i seriously doubt it affects anything other than local input delay.
Personally i had a lot of stuttering recently after i switched to a 60hz screen and it went away after i disabled vsync. Noone from my friends list has mentioned anything about the connection between us getting worse.

petran79

Banned

PC player base plays with lower input lag, if you count that the vast majority use PC monitors instead of TVs.

Wait till SFV is released on Xbox. People will fight as to which is the definite version.

I dont know what happens when PS4 and PC players match each other. In Killer Instinct case there surely existed parity between Xbox and PC netcode

Also years ago Blazblue Calamity Trigger crossplay between Xbox360 and Windows users was also smooth due to Arcsys netcode. I could even play transatlantic matches.

But Capcom does not even set a system requirement for PC netplay. You cant even see the rig grades, like in SFIV.

So I wonder whether SFV PC modifications affect gameplay.

Edzi

PC player base plays with lower input lag, if you count that the vast majority use PC monitors instead of TVs.

Wait till SFV is released on Xbox. People will fight as to which is the definite version.

I dont know what happens when PS4 and PC players match each other. In Killer Instinct case there surely existed parity between Xbox and PC netcode

Also years ago Blazblue Calamity Trigger crossplay between Xbox360 and Windows users was also smooth due to Arcsys netcode. I could even play transatlantic matches.

But Capcom does not even set a system requirement for PC netplay. You cant even see the rig grades, like in SFIV.

lol, there's just so much wrong with your posts here. For one, there won't be an Xbox version, though you probably already knew that. PC and PS4 have parity already, if you actually cared about having an equal playing field you wouldn't go through the trouble of modding the game to force less input lag than what the rest of the community plays on. Also, you'd be surprised how many PS4 player play on a monitor, especially if they're serious about competing.

Skilletor

Nobody would fight for the definitive version because it wouldn't change. In your hypothetical, the weaker console would run the game worse.

PC
PS4P (because in your hypothetical where an XB1 version exists, I also say a PS4P version does)
PS4
XB1

Neoxon

You do realize that Sony paid for the development of SFV, right? Unless Microsoft gives Sony money for SFV, it's staying on PS4/PC.

JayEH

wow.png

Csr

No need to gang up on the dude. Most people dont follow the game like we do

I assume they thought he was trolling or trying to start some console war crap which i don't think he was.

Petran79 it is hard to adjust to the lag in sfv after so many years of sfiv (or any other 2d fg now that i think about it) but you will get used to it eventually. Like i said i don't think there is any report of vsync affecting netcode and it doesn't make much sense that it would. If you intend to go to any offline tourneys or gatherings and you have a low input delay screen i would keep it on.
I disabled it because of the stuttering (and also vsync didn't appear to do anything, i had tons of tearing anyway, not sure what was going on there, it was a mess) but the monitor i am using now has noticeable lag anyway so disabling vsync didn't affect me negatively in that regard.

Marvel

could never
Wow lol.

Then when you get your account back you get pee'd on because you are at a level you shouldn't be at, thus losing ranks you paid for.

How bizzare.

Zackat

Wow lol.

Then when you get your account back you get pee'd on because you are at a level you shouldn't be at, thus losing ranks you paid for.

How bizzare.
People did it for arenas in WoW all the time. You did get cool armor and mounts though.

Marvel

could never
People did it for arenas in WoW all the time. You did get cool armor and mounts though.
True but that SF rank will slide quicker than a hiccup, unless they just want titles from ranked W's too.

It's the same with Destiny, people pay for Trials flawless but they get something perminent, armor and fancy ornaments.

GOD TIER
(These characters' V-Skills are essential parts of their respective gameplans)

Guile
Zangief
Chun-Li
Necalli

USEFUL TIER
(These characters' V-Skills are very strong but they can win without using them)

Birdie
Ryu
Laura
Balrog
Ken
Urien
Karin

SITUATIONAL TIER
(These characters' V-Skills won't see as much use in the neutral game but are nevertheless useful in some scenarios)

Rashid
Juri
Vega
Cammy

MEH TIER
(These characters' V-Skills aren't very good in any situation)

Nash
Dhalsim
Bison
Alex

"WHY WOULD YOU EVER USE THIS" TIER
(You will hardly ever see these characters use their V-Skills unless they're desperate for V-Meter or trolling)

R. Mika
Ibuki
F.A.N.G.

*This list is a combination of my opinion and the comments of various pro players. It is by no means ironclad!

GOD TIER
(These characters' V-Skills are essential parts of their respective gameplans)

Guile
Zangief
Chun-Li
Necalli

Chun's is essential?????? apart from corner cross up fuckery and after a super when is it ever used on purpose lol

Ibuki's is solid and should be used as much as you can to gain V-Meter tbh but I'm sleep

Fang too?

nah i feel for the bait i am asleep

JayEH

I don't agree with chun's being essential tier and FANG being useless either. You will see fangs throwing out the poison all the time because why not.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, no way is Chun's God Tier. I'd also disagree that Necalli's is in that tier, even if it does amount to what is basically a fireball.

No way is Dhalsim's "meh tier," either. It can be absolutely essential to use it depending on the MU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom