• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

Nash uses v-skill all the time to gain meter and destroy fireballs the hell

Dhalsim can use v-skill quite a bunch against footsie characters to stay in the air and away

Good to see the discussion this has spurred already, haha.

Chun-Li's V-Skill is super good for the ambiguous crossups it creates (it can totally steal matches) and it's a good tool for her V-Trigger and Stun combos but I suppose it's not an essential part of her gameplan per se.

I stand by F.A.N.G. and Ibuki's being terrible though. If poison were better than F.A.N.G.'s might be worth using but as it stands it's just filler that puts a hole in his pressure. I've seen a bunch of his mains echoing this sentiment too so I'm definitely not alone in that regard.

Good to see the discussion this has spurred already, haha.

Chun-Li's V-Skill is super good for the ambiguous crossups it creates (it can totally steal matches) and it's a good tool for her V-Trigger and Stun combos but I suppose it's not an essential part of her gameplan per se.

I stand by F.A.N.G. and Ibuki's being terrible though. If poison were better than F.A.N.G.'s might be worth using but as it stands it's just filler that puts a hole in his pressure. I've seen a bunch of his mains echoing this sentiment too so I'm definitely not alone in that regard.

What makes Fang's V-Skill annoying is that when you're zoning somebody you can bait them into jumping over it in some capacity then go for an AA. It adds to his mind game while zoning imo

Alright, revised it a bit based on the immediate comments.

GOD TIER
(These characters' V-Skills are essential parts of their respective gameplans)

Guile
Zangief
Necalli

USEFUL TIER
(These characters' V-Skills are very strong but they can win without using them)

Birdie
Ryu
Laura
Balrog
Ken
Urien
Karin

SITUATIONAL TIER
(These characters' V-Skills won't see as much use in the neutral game but are nevertheless useful in some scenarios)

Nash
Rashid
Juri
Vega
Dhalsim
Cammy

MEH TIER
(These characters' V-Skills aren't very good in any situation)

Chun-Li
Ibuki
Bison
Alex

"WHY WOULD YOU EVER USE THIS" TIER
(You will hardly ever see these characters use their V-Skills unless they're desperate for V-Meter or trolling)

R. Mika
F.A.N.G.

What makes Fang's V-Skill annoying is that when you're zoning somebody you can bait them into jumping over it in some capacity then go for an AA. It adds to his mind game while zoning imo

The problem is that poison's not nearly strong enough to make the opponent have to worry about jumping over it. And even if it does give him V-Meter, so what? F.A.N.G.'s V-Trigger is awful (again, due to how underwhelming poison is) and his V-Reversal is easily baited & grabbed so you have absolutely no reason to fear the V-Skill.

In most matches I see, the other player uses his V-Skill activation as an opportunity to gain some ground against him and will happily dash through the poison ball just to get at him.

Edzi

GGs man, glad I stole a set with Alex, though I've gotta vent for a sec lol. Ryu vs Alex feels like one of the most bullshit things ever, he owns Alex's soul from full screen, mid screen, close range, the air, everything. And that's on top of the typical Ryu top tier shenanigans.

I love this game, but man, Ryu and Chun demoralize me so hard since I don't actually see a way to overcome them.

FluxWaveZ

Anyone got any tips for comboing Nash's bMK with tragedy assault ? The execution window is so tight

It's actually not that tight. Are you sure you're doing the lightest version of Tragedy Assault? Because that's the only one that will combo (dunno about CH). It's kind of a weird motion, though, so maybe that's throwing you off?

emag

Alright, revised it a bit based on the immediate comments.

Why do you rate Zangief's V-Skill so highly? Because his other tools are so bad? Because his V-Trigger is good?

Taking white damage for V meter is a bad proposition for a character whose game plan is walking forward.

The God

It's actually not that tight. Are you sure you're doing the lightest version of Tragedy Assault? Because that's the only one that will combo (dunno about CH). It's kind of a weird motion, though, so maybe that's throwing you off?

Yeah I'm definitely doing the lightest one

Grifter

GGs man, glad I stole a set with Alex, though I've gotta vent for a sec lol. Ryu vs Alex feels like one of the most bullshit things ever, he owns Alex's soul from full screen, mid screen, close range, the air, everything. And that's on top of the typical Ryu top tier shenanigans.

I love this game, but man, Ryu and Chun demoralize me so hard since I don't actually see a way to overcome them.

GGs. I dunno that match well and don't have a solid gameplan yet. Lost to some Alexes recently in ranked thru their patience, spaced pokes, and jabs. Seemed to have options at all ranges and forced me to play close.

lupinko

Instead of saving up fight money for Rashid's stage, I bought it along with Rashid's Battle Costume with the $15 PSN rebate. The remaining money went toward GOWIIIR.

That stage is simply bananas in person and it's my default battle stage now.

Instead of saving up fight money for Rashid's stage, I bought it along with Rashid's Battle Costume with the $15 PSN rebate. The remaining money went toward GOWIIIR.

That stage is simply bananas in person and it's my default battle stage now.

that stage gives me a headache.

Wow, lotta people seem entirely incapable of taking the L tonight. I was running a Battle Lounge with FT3 sets and four times already the other player has quit once I get 2 wins. Idk why you'd even join a FT3 lounge if you only had the intention of playing 2 games but w/e.

Why do you rate Zangief's V-Skill so highly? Because his other
tools are so bad? Because his V-Trigger is good?

Taking white damage for V meter is a bad proposition for a character whose game plan is walking forward.

It's the flex that makes it so good. With the flex he has access to what's essentially an offensive parry, and if you get hit by it he gets a free 50/50 mixup between SPD and anti-air that you have 3 frames to react to at best.

It also builds V-Meter alarmingly fast since you get meter for both the armor and the flex, and because his V-Trigger is actually pretty darn good (it excels at creating even more 50/50 scenarios and can let him confirm his super off of pretty much anything) he benefits greatly from having access to it early on. It also fuels his amazing V-Reversal, which again forces a 50/50 and even combos into his CA in the corner.

Zangief's not the best character, but his V-Skill lets him appear to be much much better than he is in the right hands, and is 100% an essential part of playing him effectively.

Yup. His V-skill is situational but it's pretty darn good in that situation since worst case is that it accomplishes nothing but best case is that it hits which causes poison and builds a little v-meter.

If his poison was better then his v-skill and V-Trigger would automatically become better. Though I still think just having the poison always on is a good V-Trigger for him but that's just my opinion.

F.A.N.G's V-system is tied to the poison so obviously if the poison sucks ,then his V-system sucks.

mbpm1

That's.... actually a decent upgrade when he's in V-Trigger.

But again, the poison would need to be better for this to be even remotely scary/effective.

poison could stagger the enemy and increase startup for some moves.

maybe you could have different poison balls that would shut down/reduce effectiveness of specific buttons/button types

I'm just copying KI at this point but w/e

petran79

Banned
I assume they thought he was trolling or trying to start some console war crap which i don't think he was.

Petran79 it is hard to adjust to the lag in sfv after so many years of sfiv (or any other 2d fg now that i think about it) but you will get used to it eventually. Like i said i don't think there is any report of vsync affecting netcode and it doesn't make much sense that it would. If you intend to go to any offline tourneys or gatherings and you have a low input delay screen i would keep it on.
I disabled it because of the stuttering (and also vsync didn't appear to do anything, i had tons of tearing anyway, not sure what was going on there, it was a mess) but the monitor i am using now has noticeable lag anyway so disabling vsync didn't affect me negatively in that regard.

I did also follow the advice on reddit about fixed framerate in the ini (min framerate 5,max 60).
Together with Fast Sync, results are noticable and without tearing. Though I couldnt test it online against PS4 players. I played only against another PC player.

The lack of underwater matches is a bonus.

poison could stagger the enemy and increase startup for some moves.

maybe you could have different poison balls that would shut down/reduce effectiveness of specific buttons/button types

I'm just copying KI at this point but w/e
Is that Spinal lol?

A damage and stun buff could work. Also stop stun from decreasing until it wears off.
I actually proposed something similar, that when in V-Trigger the poison would cause the stun bar to decrease at a considerably reduced rate. It would be a bit too OP for non-VTrigger poison though, also I don't think it should stop the stun bar from decreasing full stop, since you're already taking damage from the poison.

FluxWaveZ

FANG should actually be one of the most annoying characters to face in the game. His poison should be really effective, causing opponents to take it very seriously when they're in that status.

He should be slippery as hell to get a hold of, making opponents panic and make mistakes just so they can get that one hit in to remove the poison. And when he decides to close in, even though he doesn't have great damage output, his frame traps and constant pressure makes it so that the poison lasts that much longer without the opponent being able to get a hit in.

It'd be a different form of offense than most (or all) other characters, but the one I think he needs.

^ EXACTLY.
As it stands, it's easy enough to keep an opponent poisoned but because it's just not worth the damage it currently does, I'm forced to go in and try to play a more offensive game in a lot of matchups, which is not what I want to be doing in those matchups.

It's exactly why his CA does the lowest damage in the game with less than 300 (but it varies a bit because of the poison)

His damage output through his normals and specials is fine, it's just the poison that's lacking.

I still think his poison damage should increase after a short amount of time has passed, and his combo damage scaling is noticeably reduced while in V-Trigger. Also, he should recover much more quickly from his V-Skill. None of that would break the game since at base he is a pretty honest character with obvious strengths and weaknesses. Every bit of damage you cause is well earned, considering quite a few of the other characters in the game.

FluxWaveZ

God's Beard!";224747982][URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvM86_y3oM0 said:
Critique this set against Ken please[/URL]

God I hate his air attacks.

At 2:53, you could have just ended the match there by cancelling into your CA and chipping him out. He didn't have V-Reversal to prevent it. Obviously, you then tried doing it a few moments later, which wasn't the right call.

At 5:22, you challenged Ken's V-Trigger activation when he is absolutely plus on his st.HK xx V-Trigger. Not good; you have to block that or V-reversal it at that point.

At 6:08, you did your second wakeup CA. Which didn't work. Just don't do that; it's not worth it 90% of the time, especially when your health is not at a critical state and neither is your opponent's (like at 9:40).

At 6:34, you missed a very crucial and very obvious SRK punish. Actually, there were several times when the Ken threw out a random SRK at neutral and you didn't whiff punish it. It's important.

Also, Nash is good at running away and all, but you're doing that a lot more than you're going in, even when the pressure is on the opponent. You'll press forward, throw a block string that might hit at the end with no confirm, and then back away to then have Ken try to get in on you. You have to make Ken force you away, not force yourself away when the advantage is yours.

At 9:19: a very important drop for what should have been a simple combo. Gotta practice those more.

Marvel

could never
I may be biased but I truly don't believe Bison's V-Skill is meh tier at all.

Parries physical mid attacks, projectiles and the ability to make a chouce to reflect or absorb depending on distance is quite nice. I use it a lot xD

Situational to useful pl0x lol

myco666

I will be online in ten minutes

Edit: I'm downloading the new PS4 update, send me your CFN, I will invite you.

cfn: -myco-

That's the "good" thing about having no wakeup, no mistaken inputs or nervous panic lol.

Rather be free on wakeup than have the temptation to mash reversal everytime.

Having garbage wakeup options is definitely eye opening after using a character that has meterless invincible reversal.

Spman2099

MEH TIER
(These characters' V-Skills aren't very good in any situation)
Nash
Dhalsim
Bison
Alex

Dhalsim can definitely use his V-Skill quite effectively. It isn't something to focus his gameplay around, but it definitely has utility.

Alex's V-Skill also definitely has uses, they just tend to be tethered to dizzying the opponent first.

Alex's V-Skill also definitely has uses, they just tend to be tethered to dizzying the opponent first.
I remember the first time I played a good Alex and he hit me with that max corner combo post stun, and my life bar was broken in pieces when I looked at it. Yeah, it has its place lol

myco666

GGs Punished_Snake! How was the connection on your end? I had few times where it became a laggy mess but overall it was fine.

myco666

Great! Yeah lets play again sometime. I have one tip for you. Bull Charge (the amored tackle move) is -7 on block and I think Ryu can always punish it.

Marvel

could never
Bison is training me to block fucking everything. This is both awesome seeing my progress and a challenge.

LakeEarth

Chuns Vskill seems pretty bad tbh

It's pretty surprising that that little hitbox on the jump will beat. Today I was trying to space out some medium tackles with Urien, and the Chun I faced somehow knew that the vskill hitbox would beat it. Very odd, I wanna look at the hitbox on the jump part of the vskill.

Why do you rate Zangief's V-Skill so highly? Because his other tools are so bad? Because his V-Trigger is good?

I disagree, I think the difference between a good Zangief and a great Zangief is how they use their v-skill. It's a risk, but risk/reward is the game Zangief players play. It's why he has all that extra health.

It makes the post-stun combo more dangerous, that's about all it is good for for 90% of the cast. Throwing it out during a match is only really useful against the slowpokes like Zangief, but even then you're sacrificing positioning for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom