• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadoken

I don't understand that Meh tier . Nash v skill is pretty essential against fireball chars. Same with bison and sim . Alex is essentially a damage buff every time you get a stun. Maybe Urien might fit this tier since his v skill is a big risk but even that has situational use.

Fangs is also useful while not great.

Akuma's Demon Flip V-Skill will be useless their because of Jab AA. The whole Jump in and AA need to be reevaluated. i tried to Jab AA the other day in USF4 with Decapre and ended up loosing corner control because of it and would normally go for a DP.

Hurtboxes on Jump in are too big and Jab AA normals Hitbox are too big that I don't understand outside of Cross Up why Urien's AA is considered weak. I connect Cr.HP every time online and juggle afterwards.

Roxkis_ii

What makes Chun's v-skill so bad? I do notice none of the high ranked Chun players ever use it or Chun's d. He crossover kick.

Marvel

could never
9CbpAUO.jpg

FluxWaveZ

Lets talk about the top tier v-reversals
Mikas is definately the best, right?

Hm. It might be, since it has a good amount of push-back making her safe even if the opponent blocks it, and on hit she gets a setup for it.

Cammy's is one of the worst, certainly.

Lets talk about the top tier v-reversals
Mikas is definately the best, right?

Mika, Nash (if they don't have any punishes down it's pretty much a get out of the corner free card), Gief because he can combo from it, Rashid's roll is useful too. The 10f start up ones (Chun, Ken and can't remember anyone else) are really good too.

Mika's is really strong and should be adjusted IMO. If it keeps the same animation and everything, just make it 0 or -1 on dash up afterwards and not +2 lol

Vice

What makes Chun's v-skill so bad? I do notice none of the high ranked Chun players ever use it or Chun's d. He crossover kick.

It is pretty slow, doesn't have many uses outside of the corner or post-super, and lightning legs is usually the better aerial option anyway. Plus her walkspeed is great so she doesn't have to take to the air very often. For someone with all of her other ways to approach it's just kind of pointless.

Best V-reversals are Mika, Nash, Rashid, Gief and Camnmy's.
Mika - Guaranteed stun loss of more than just the 200 every v-reversal shaves off. Sets up some nasty frame traps.
Nash and Rashid - Positioning is king and these two can eliminate a whole round of chasing them down with one badly timed button.
Gief - Destroys a lot of characters ability to frame trap Gief if he has super ready.Also sets up quite a bit of oki.
Cammy - Similar to why Nash and Rashid's are so good. But it's quite negative on block. But, her corner control is incredibly strong so her v-reversal is ridiculous even at -6 on block. It's worth the gamble anyway just for the corner escape.

mbpm1

Hm. It might be, since it has a good amount of push-back making her safe even if the opponent blocks it, and on hit she gets a setup for it.

Cammy's is the worst unless it's a guaranteed hit then the corner swap is good. Juri's might be the worst outside of that.

Producer

Not only that but her stun gauge reduces by like 50% because of how long the animation is. Its crazy good.

Cammys is bad yeah, it does have its uses. I think Juri is probably the worst

Best V-Reversal? Probably Mika or Dictator.

On Dhalsim's V-Skill:

The float is so important to a few aspects on 'Sim's game that it's mostly overlooked by people who don't play him. The float can be used for getting away,moving forward, or just changing the tempo of a match.

The options out of ground or forward float are pretty great, depending on how far away your opponent is. LP is extremely fast and has a 45 degree angle from where 'Sim is. MP is fantastic if you're poking over a fireball at medium range. HP and HK are obviously used close up and can be followed up with a combo. Those basic options are all really good, but there are some pretty cool tricks that can be used as well:
Drills are great out of float because they can get you to land exactly where you want to. With correct spacing, you can follow up a drill with b+MK - Flame.
Yoga Gale is crazy out of float. You're basically plus on block and are free to do whatever you want. Long range knockdown into forward float and then into Gale is a nasty frame trap.
Teleport sucks out of float unless you're doing it to bait some kind of anti-air.

Skilletor

Mika, Nash (if they don't have any punishes down it's pretty much a get out of the corner free card), Gief because he can combo from it, Rashid's roll is useful too. The 10f start up ones (Chun, Ken and can't remember anyone else) are really good too.

Mika's is really strong and should be adjusted IMO. If it keeps the same animation and everything, just make it 0 or -1 on dash up afterwards and not +2 lol

Her stun bar shouldn't start draining until the animation is over. That shit is so stupid.

meerak

I am biased but Vega's V-Skill is better than "situational" imo. There are a lot of fireballs and jump-ins in this game and his VS is a nice counter to both.

The MENTAL DAMAGE of dancing is crippling too, never forget that.

Producer

For Gief you mean his super right? Or can he combo other stuff too. Nash is good, even if you expect it, it can be hard to punish regardless.

Sayad

It's pretty surprising that that little hitbox on the jump will beat. Today I was trying to space out some medium tackles with Urien, and the Chun I faced somehow knew that the vskill hitbox would beat it. Very odd, I wanna look at the hitbox on the jump part of the vskill.
Urien's tackle is a very low priority move, hurt box extend far ahead of the hit box, it get stuffed easily and moves with long active frames like Chun's V-Skill are great for challenging it if you sense it's coming.

I've seen people start to just critical art it in recent tourneys

i know it's like -8 or whatever but I never see it get punished.

It doesn't even need to be raw CA. Using it on a -3 on block normal gives characters enough time to recover and punish the V-reversal after blocking it. Balrog and Bison even have enough range in their normal that prevents Cammy switching sides.

JayEH

so i bought the game this weekend , how's the online? and are we getting a pro patch?

there's no word on pro patch but it will almost assuredly be announced when the next season is. online has been better as of late overall for most people i would say.

I believe the line changes according to which strength chain he goes for, similar to how his command grab has different lines depending on which strength you used.

I'm not fantastic at this game but when I teach people how to play (which I'm sure many of us do when showing friends the game) I teach people to play like a wall. I teach them to stay on the ground, DP anti-airs, and poke at their opponent with fireballs, lows and pokes.

Is that a good way to teach someone the basics in the game?

My friend and I used to run an FGC in our City and as such it was super common that we'd have people who were new to the game and wanted to learn fundamentals. I'd often get them to play mini-games against me, like "I'm going to jump at you, and you're going to beat me only using that anti-air button", or another that we called "sweeps and throws" where you could only use the sweep button and throws, which was designed to teach footsies, whiff punishing and how to tech throws.

As I say, is this a good way to teach people how to play? The awkward thing is that I always got them to play as Ryu but I think the fundamentals translate to other characters. The footsies tutorials might not work well on characters with low walk speed though. I would also teach them some basic combos but always figured that's something they can learn in their own time. It's just muscle memory after all and there's not as much sense in being taught that outside of how links and cancels work.

I ask cause I haven't done this in a while and a friend wants me to show him how to play the game on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom