• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

Can I get a definition of mental damage please? I've only heard it a few times and I don't know what it is.
Mental damage is the feeling you get when you get thrown five times in a row and on the sixth wakeup you get counterhit and die.

Mental damage is when everything you do gets uppercut and every time you decide to block you get grabbed.

Basically its psychological damage throughout a match.

I'm not fantastic at this game but when I teach people how to play (which I'm sure many of us do when showing friends the game) I teach people to play like a wall. I teach them to stay on the ground, DP anti-airs, and poke at their opponent with fireballs, lows and pokes.

Is that a good way to teach someone the basics in the game?

My friend and I used to run an FGC in our City and as such it was super common that we'd have people who were new to the game and wanted to learn fundamentals. I'd often get them to play mini-games against me, like "I'm going to jump at you, and you're going to beat me only using that anti-air button", or another that we called "sweeps and throws" where you could only use the sweep button and throws, which was designed to teach footsies, whiff punishing and how to tech throws.

As I say, is this a good way to teach people how to play? The awkward thing is that I always got them to play as Ryu but I think the fundamentals translate to other characters. The footsies tutorials might not work well on characters with low walk speed though. I would also teach them some basic combos but always figured that's something they can learn in their own time. It's just muscle memory after all and there's not as much sense in being taught that outside of how links and cancels work.

I ask cause I haven't done this in a while and a friend wants me to show him how to play the game on the weekend.

You are basically showing them how to play the neutral game, so yes. Jumping and freaking out are like some of the worst habits to break and playing like a wall is a hard habit to start.

jett

D-Member
Mika, Nash (if they don't have any punishes down it's pretty much a get out of the corner free card), Gief because he can combo from it, Rashid's roll is useful too. The 10f start up ones (Chun, Ken and can't remember anyone else) are really good too.

Mika's is really strong and should be adjusted IMO. If it keeps the same animation and everything, just make it 0 or -1 on dash up afterwards and not +2 lol

Mika doesn't need nerfs.

Buff her vskill pls.

Mika just needs a change, not really a nerf or buff. Make her irish whip go triple speed. I don't care how much stupider it looks, just get that shit over with. Its the most annoying thing about fighting her.

Sayad

Sure it does. It's crap.
It need to be changed, giving Mika a viable grab damage increase v-skill would be way too good. Make the V-Skill her taunt, keep the damage increase too if you have to(but not the armor ;p). Even a shitty attack like Ibuki's would be better.

Holy shot thank you, Ive been using it as a taunt all this time
lol, be careful though, you make it safe by doing it at max range, and even then, a lot of characters can still punish it hard on block. And like every none special move Vega has, it can be canceled into v-trigger.

Marvel

could never
Really? Lol!

Kinda awesome, but yeah it's not super great but not quite useless. If you hold it down and hit someone be it on block or otherwise it's an easy v-trigger dmg or escape.

As Sayad said, use it at a safe distance if possible.

Maybe watch the demonstration explaining everything the characters can do next time. They literally spell it out for you.
f4fead497d.jpg

molnizzle

Hit a wall in Ultra Bronze so decided to really drill down a learn the fundamentals. Figured I might as well learn them with Ryu since most tutorial content online is based around him. Messing around learning his BnB's in training mode... motherfucker has a 314 damage 0-bar jump in?

O_O

mbpm1

Hit a wall in Ultra Bronze so decided to really drill down a learn the fundamentals. Figured I might as well learn them with Ryu since most tutorial content online is based around him. Messing around learning his BnB's in training mode... motherfucker has a 314 damage 0-bar jump in?

O_O

Welcome to the top tier

O_O

What combo is this? The bnbs I use with ryu never break 285.

Numb

RB outfit and Akumer prep good time to pick Ryu
Zero Shoto xp in this game tho but he seems easy to use
Still wish he had his donkey kick . Even as a v-reversal

Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but why is Chun's v-skill useful after CA? I've seen a number of people say this but I'm not sure I get it.

Palom

Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but why is Chun's v-skill useful after CA? I've seen a number of people say this but I'm not sure I get it.
It's timed perfectly with a quick rise. Depending on when you hit MK in the jump, it can be in the front or a cross-up. If they don't quick rise, you can use F+HK as you land to hop over their body as they rise for a side switch and meaty jab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom