• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well gentlemen, I think I'm done playing for a long time. I've now dropped from ultra silver, 4 points away from gold, to ultra bronze in the course of a month. It's embarrassing, it's frustrating, and I'm rapidly falling out of love for this game.

I don't know what changed this month or what I'm doing differently, but it sucks.

FluxWaveZ

Well gentlemen, I think I'm done playing for a long time. I've now dropped from ultra silver, 4 points away from gold, to ultra bronze in the course of a month. It's embarrassing, it's frustrating, and I'm rapidly falling out of love for this game.

I don't know what changed this month or what I'm doing differently, but it sucks.

Do you look at your replays and take notes?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Stop playing for points until you feel better!

When I start losing in ranked I resist the urge to make up the points because whatever negative feelings my losses cause just compound and make me play worse. Once I lose confidence I get paralyzed and no longer trust my instincts and suddenly I can't process the game at the speed necessary to compete.

I've been on a few losing streaks that made me question whether I should be playing the game at all, but after a little time off I always climbed back up, usually a few hundred points at a time.

Today I went on a losing streak in casuals against people in my point range that had me thinking I am definitely not ready for gold and maybe I don't even deserve ultra silver. There's a lot of luck of the draw in the matchmaking. Some days I get tons of weaker opponents in a row, sometimes I get a series of better ones. Some days I'm "on" with complete focus and flawless execution and other times I can feel that I'm only playing at 50%. I try to manage my expectations for myself accordingly.

Do you look at your replays and take notes?
I do. A lot of it is just guessing wrong on wake-up. I also can't react as fast as I'd like to jump ins. I try very hard to avoid teleporting without covering my advance and my meaty game sucks. I've been using significantly fewer slides as they're unsafe.

Guessing wrong twice results in stun, guessing wrong three times is a KO. The amount of work I have to do to get damage is really inconsistent when a single jump in could mean 40% of my life. I've found that I don't follow patterns and I don't ever go into auto pilot.

FluxWaveZ

I do. A lot of it is just guessing wrong on wake-up. I also can't react as fast as I'd like to jump ins. I try very hard to avoid teleporting without covering my advance and my meaty game sucks. I've been using significantly fewer slides as they're unsafe.

Guessing wrong twice results in stun, guessing wrong three times is a KO. The amount of work I have to do to get damage is really inconsistent when a single jump in could mean 40% of my life. I've found that I don't follow patterns and I don't ever go into auto pilot.

Then your personal playstyle could inherently be counter to the character you choose to play. Otherwise, there are always measures to take to improve. If you're talking about Dhalsim and you have trouble AAing, that is one of the characters who you absolutely can't afford to be weak in that area with. He's got several tools to deal with those, too, so that'd be a specific area to focus on.

Marvel

could never
I've been there too Secret Character.

Hell I can't break out of Silver and yet to find a true main. Take a break it'll help you out a bit, the frame of mind you're currently in is an easy L at least from own experience (last nights rapid on-tilt league down from me)

Then come back and pick ken lol :p

Live in casual for a bit to get your groove back.

Vice

Maybe a different character would be better. Otnsounds like you're using Dhalsim, perhaps someone with a more straightforward gameplab would be a nice break.

Top tier, but also easy to use
Ease of use is not a problem. Execution isn't an issue for me, usually.

My character track record isn't great either. I started in the betas and at launch with dictator, then moved to Gief, and now I'm Sim. I don't like shotos or Chun. I might try Necalli out.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
None of those characters are "can't get into gold" bad, though.

Like I said, upload some videos!

Marvel

could never
Alex mirror matches are hilarious.

Me and a dude were messing with each other in casual doing that diving fist move from the air? like some sort of dance lmao. Parrying one anothers clothesline back to back also.

Great fun.

JayEH

"But looking at the big picture, it was a return to form, or resurrection of Street Fighter, and all of the things that we learned from IV are fixed in V, in terms of stuff like communication, the community or different events." - Gootecks

Lol

Edzi

"But looking at the big picture, it was a return to form, or resurrection of Street Fighter, and all of the things that we learned from IV are fixed in V, in terms of stuff like communication, the community or different events." - Gootecks

Lol

I think Gootecks just talks out of his ass now.

Kashiwaba

Anybody played Kmousess?? He is Canadian ryu with level 53 and level 53 ryu gold league

The thing is the way he plays feels very scripted seems like a bot or something like that just hold back and when they hit grab if ignore him just come toward me and do the same combo again and again, is it possibly to have a bot or anything like that in SFV?

Alex mirror matches are hilarious.

Me and a dude were messing with each other in casual doing that diving fist move from the air? like some sort of dance lmao. Parrying one anothers clothesline back to back also.

Great fun.
Mika mirrors are my favorite when the other person is willing to do the full promo with me. Once we're fully charged, it's like a game of chicken.
Anybody played Kmousess?? He is Canadian ryu with level 53 and level 53 ryu gold league

The thing is the way he plays feels very scripted seems like a bot or something like that just hold back and when they hit grab if ignore him just come toward me and do the same combo again and again, is it possibly to have a bot or anything like that in SFV?
I've fought him and yeah it's kind of bizarre. He just does the same shit over and over. Not very effective.

YOLO or cancel a normal into EX or HK Violence Knee to escape. Hope the Mika doesn't catch onto your shit because she'll knock you out of it if she knows what you're up to.

You can EX Headbutt, but if she blocks it, you're eating a crush counter.

Kill me. Mika is a certain type of hell for me. I'm finally getting used to Chuns but man, Mika just puts me on auto tilt.

What costumes would you have wanted to get? :V

There are maybe four left I have yet to buy? The Alex, Juri, Vega, and I think Necaili ones, I believe.

Kill me. Mika is a certain type of hell for me. I'm finally getting used to Chuns but man, Mika just puts me on auto tilt.
The Mika matchup became considerably easier for me when I learned to just hit her charged st.hk out of the air before it activates.

Then again, FANG probably would have a considerable advantage in this matchup if it wasn't for the low poison damage.

I'm happy that I'm finally going to get some DLC before they disappear! I was worried about it this whole time, since I had no internet for a good while, until yesterday. I was able to grind for the Halloween stage!

There are maybe four left I have yet to buy? The Alex, Juri, Vega, and I think Necaili ones, I believe.

If you only replied me 20 minutes ago, man. Lol

The Mika matchup became considerably easier for me when I learned to just hit her charged st.hk out of the air before it activates.

Then again, FANG probably would have a considerable advantage in this matchup if it wasn't for the low poison damage.

If I'm lucky I can get a tackle into AR and that just messes up her day.

I'm happy that I'm finally going to get some DLC before they disappear! I was worried about it this whole time, since I had no internet for a good while, until yesterday. I was able to grind for the Halloween stage!

If you only replied me 20 minutes ago, man. Lol

No biggie, I was only going to buy it because I like having everything regarding SF, but holiday costumes are easy to pass up.

FluxWaveZ

I don't know if you do this but I find that you find matches much quicker when waiting for them in the training room, I have no idea why.

I've done that before, but I can't say I noticed a notable change in matchmaking speed. And then there's the added load times after matches to go back into the mode.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Was there an interview with Mago at the end of the Asia finals? Would love to see it. Capcom Fighters only has actual matches.

Was there an interview with Mago at the end of the Asia finals? Would love to see it. Capcom Fighters only has actual matches.

It was in Japanese/Korean.

Then Mike Ross left the english stream and Mago showed up but Zhi was talking entirely in Japanese with him.

Then the cameraman showed up and the awkwardness began. Then the stream ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom