• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvel

could never
Gonna go ahead and assume my boy Alex will have his jacket on by default with his classic alt, but with a button code to take it off :D

Scotia

Banned
Gonna go ahead and assume my boy Alex will have his jacket on by default with his classic alt, but with a button code to take it off :D

Yeah, that's how I think it's going to be.

Blanka's Pocket: Season 2 is cancelled!

Sneak peek:

man-tie-khakis-dress-shirt-belt-pulling-out-empty-pocket-half-portrait-isolated-white-background-33170113.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Whoever designed those air tatsu hitboxes should not work on this game anymore. They make no sense at all.

Been trying to anti-air different ones against a dummy and it's impossible. Everything trades, whiffs or gets beaten clean, there is no consistency at all.

mbpm1

Whoever designed those air tatsu hitboxes should not work on this game anymore. They make no sense at all.

Been trying to anti-air different ones against a dummy and it's impossible.

They're easy to anti-air if you dp
you don't have a dp? rip

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I have Karin's DP, but it's only invulnerable low to the ground and they can easily mix up the timing, so it trades a lot. And that trade does way too much damage, too.

ArjanN

Been trying to anti-air different ones against a dummy and it's impossible. Everything trades, whiffs or gets beaten clean, there is no consistency at all.

If you don't have a DP it kinda seems like guesswork yeah. Basically in that case I don't even try to AA it but just try to avoid it entirely by not being there by dashing or using V-Trigger or some other character specific move that moves you out of the way.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Maximilian's 5 changes:

- remove anti-air jab
- reduce frame delay
- improve/extend/add V-Skills/V-Trigger
- improve matchmaking and speed it up
- add arcade mode and hidden bosses

I mean...that's pretty much what everyone agrees on I would say. Nothing crazy. And hasn't he made pretty much the exact same video before?

Can't stand Max's videos, these 5 points took him 13 minutes

Hosting EU lobby, streaming it too, get in and fart about.
What's it called?

Hutchie

Im not up for adding selectable v-skills but can live with them being tuned. Would like additional critical arts, links n special cancellable moves

Vice

I like anti-air jabs. Game would be better if all of the cast, or at least most, had them. They would be a good universal option and help with getting new/worse players accustomed to anti-airing. Having a huge part of defense have no universal action/button is probably one of the bigger barriers for new players.

FluxWaveZ

I like anti-air jabs. Game would be better if all of the cast, or at least most, had them. They would be a good universal option and help with getting new/worse players accustomed to anti-airing. Having a huge part of defense have no universal action/button is probably one of the bigger barriers for new players.

The two main problems with them is that:

1. Characters who don't need AA jabs have very good ones (notable examples being Ryu and Necalli).
2. They're far too simple to execute and require loose timing.

Persona 4 Arena is a series where every single character has a universal AA input: down + B. It works in that game because each of those universal AA's still have notably different hitboxes, timings and functions. AA Jabs pretty much all function the same, and results in the typical air reset into 50/50 situation.

If it had to be a universal option, I would never want it to be with jabs.

JayEH

If they have selectable CAs or v triggers or whatever they can't do this favorite character matchmaking style anymore since everyone would want to change their load out dependent on the match up.

The pre-selection of character should allow for battle lounges where you're only matched up with opponents from a selection of your choosing, to help with learning matchups. I thought that was going to be one of the main reasons for that choice, alongside faster loading.

jett

D-Member
Anyone watch that top 5 changes for SFV video from Max? What do you guys think?

It's okay, but I don't think anything there will really bring back lapsed SF fans on its own. Aside from arcade mode, the best thing in the list would shorter loading times/menu management. Max didn't mention it, but you spend over 30 seconds staring at a winning pose/menu after a fight is over. That's idiotic. When it comes to presentation and general UI, Capcom needs to overhaul this motherfucker completely.

I insist, what Capcom/Sony need to do is create a new SKU that is more than just SF5 packaged with DLC. They have to double down and truly sell and market a new version of SFV, let people know this is really new and massively improved over what it was in 2016. New title, new moves, new modes, re-balanced, new UI, new stages, totally overhauled DLC/microstransaction business. Everything inside a shiny new package. Hyper Street Fighter V pls.

But sadly I don't think Capcom is interested in really putting in the effort or the cash. I'll never forget how the servers tanked during the launch of story mode as terribly as they did during the actual launch of the game. They never really fixed their servers, people simply stopped playing, lol. To rub salt on the wound, at this time loading times were absolutely horrible during story mode, because the game for some reason wanted to link to the servers between every match during a goddamn offline mode.

The Ummah

Banned
Bruhs, my copy finally arrived. Thank you, Newegg. I'm here to get rekt.

I've always been a casual fighting game fan, but I'm looking forward to actually studying a character and putting some work in. Not even thinking about jumping online yet, versus locally until I figure things out.

It's okay, but I don't think anything there will really bring back lapsed SF fans on its own. Aside from arcade mode, the best thing in the list would shorter loading times/menu management. Max didn't mention it, but you spend over 30 seconds staring at a winning pose/menu after a fight is over. That's idiotic. When it comes to presentation and general UI, Capcom needs to overhaul this motherfucker completely.

I insist, what Capcom/Sony need to do is create a new SKU that is more than just SF5 packaged with DLC. They have to double down and truly sell and market a new version of SFV, let people know this is really new and massively improved over what it was in 2016. New title, new moves, new modes, re-balanced, new UI, new stages, totally overhauled DLC/microstransaction business. Everything inside a shiny new package. Hyper Street Fighter V pls.

But sadly I don't think Capcom is interested in really putting in the effort or the cash. I'll never forget how the servers tanked during the launch of story mode as terribly as they did during the actual launch of the game. They never really fixed their servers, people simply stopped playing, lol. To rub salt on the wound, at this time loading times were absolutely horrible during story mode, because the game for some reason wanted to link to the servers between every match during a goddamn offline mode.

Much of that takes a lot of time and money to do and isn't guaranteed to bring in the casual crowd. Repacking DLC in and making things snappier along with more single player modes is the only way casuals are going to look at this game. The system can work on its own to keep it.

Additionally, a tutorial mode would be great as well to help out newcomers.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They actually put in work into the demonstrations, some explanations are pretty in-depth. I don't think many people watched/read them, though...

rocK`

Banned
Maximilian's 5 changes:

- remove anti-air jab
- reduce frame delay
- improve/extend/add V-Skills/V-Trigger
- improve matchmaking and speed it up
- add arcade mode and hidden bosses

I mean...that's pretty much what everyone agrees on I would say. Nothing crazy. And hasn't he made pretty much the exact same video before?

Can't stand Max's videos, these 5 points took him 13 minutes

What's it called?

I'd probably add (maybe even remove the improve/extend/add thing):

- Remove Crush Counter off normals

jett

D-Member
Much of that takes a lot of time and money to do and isn't guaranteed to bring in the casual crowd. Repacking DLC in and making things snappier along with more single player modes is the only way casuals are going to look at this game. The system can work on its own to keep it.

Additionally, a tutorial mode would be great as well to help out newcomers.

Like I said, I don't think Capcom is interested in spending the money necessary for it, especially since the only reason they made this game is because Sony funded part of it.

stn

You do NOT want to remove crush counters, will make the game just like SF2. Not that I'm complaining at all, just that would probably lose even more people.

Whales

Banned
I want to see others ideas? I just don't like his video style, not him personally.

I dont mind his style too much but I unsubscribed from him when his feed became literally full of clickbait bullshit

Which is a shame because a good portion of his content is good, but I can't support that bullshit

Like I said, I don't think Capcom is interested in spending the money necessary for it, especially since the only reason they made this game is because Sony funded part of it.

Well, I feel like adding new moves and things isn't going to draw in a new crowd to be honest. SFV is already doing fine from a hardcore perspective, now they need to loop more people in. The current DLC system is actually fine, if not maybe some more methods like Extra VS and giving a few more FM for beating people online.

That's not true, sf5 was coming regardless, the Sony partnership just sped it up.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Two changes that I would want and that would probably be a lot of work are

1) Spice up the neutral game. Right now the game is all about close-up pressure and fishing for buffers, CCs, dashes and jump-ins in the mid-range. There needs to be more whiff punishing and zoning. Not sure what's needed exactly to achieve that, but they could figure it out.

2) Change the input buffer to have 2 frame links. Right now links are atleast 3 frames and I think it made the game stale very quickly. You can watch top players and for the most part they do the same combos upper tier online players do and that is just awfully boring. There's a reason why Guile corner combos are so hype and 60% CC Ryu combos are not and it's because those are actually not easy to do. Removing 1 frame links was the right idea, but I think they went too far.

SSReborn

In hindsight the Sony partnership was the worst thing to happen to this game if that's the case.

I think in a sense it would have been better coming out later in the generation because you would have more examples to look at with regards to the release model they were striving for.

But as far as the issues with regards to how the game launched I would say that's still mostly on Capcom for wanting to get it out for the Pro Tour this year. They basically gambled with the casual audience that they strived to get so badly by releasing the game as it was; for a hardcore audience that would have likely ended up getting the game anyways.

JayEH

Two changes that I would want and that would probably be a lot of work are

1) Spice up the neutral game. Right now the game is all about close-up pressure and fishing for buffers, CCs, dashes and jump-ins in the mid-range. There needs to be more whiff punishing and zoning. Not sure what's needed exactly to achieve that, but they could figure it out.

2) Change the input buffer to have 2 frame links. Right now links are atleast 3 frames and I think it made the game stale very quickly. You can watch top players and for the most part they do the same combos upper tier online players do and that is just awfully boring. There's a reason why Guile corner combos are so hype and 60% CC Ryu combos are not and it's because those are actually not easy to do. Removing 1 frame links was the right idea, but I think they went too far.

Change 2 is just a change for viewing though. I don't think that's a good idea.

CC's are like the hypest thing in the game. Only way to make comebacks without meter/Vtrigger

Makes playing footsies against certain characters kinda stupid though. Especially if there's that normal priority system in place where stronger buttons will beat out the weaker ones.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Change 2 is just a change for viewing though. I don't think that's a good idea.
Well, not for me. Till the end of USF4 I stil tried to learn how to do certain Dudley combos, resets and frame traps I saw Smug do in tournaments and I never really mastered any of them. This gave me motivation to keep playing. I only very rarely have this feeling with V.

But it's probably a bad idea to change something like that a year after the game is out. Can't suddenly ask players to have better execution for the same combos.

Well, not for me. Till the end of USF4 I stil tried to learn how to do certain Dudley combos, resets and frame traps I saw Smug do in tournaments and I never really mastered any of them. This gave me motivation to keep playing. I only very rarely have this feeling with V.

But it's probably a bad idea to change something like that a year after the game is out. Can't suddenly ask players to have better execution for the same combos.

That's SFV's blessing and curse - you play against the person, not the systems. You'd grind out combos and links and shit in 4 all day. In V, you grind out match experience and human knowledge.

Mediking

Just got done fighting a Gold guy named Strokethis via Battle Lounge. He was crazy good. He destroyed me but I still managed to pull a few wins from him as Cammy. Reminder that I am Bronze and hate Ranked.

I also made up my mind to buy Cammy's DLC outfits! :D

Producer

Makes playing footsies against certain characters kinda stupid though. Especially if there's that normal priority system in place where stronger buttons will beat out the weaker ones.

Yeah true. Maybe the priority system was a mistake lol. Also when are we playing though

JayEH

That's SFV's blessing and curse - you play against the person, not the systems. You'd grind out combos and links and shit in 4 all day. In V, you grind out match experience and human knowledge.

I like that the execution barrier is lower since you're then getting into the fun part of fighting games (imo) which is the mind games. Having to worry about super tight execution gets in the way of that for me. I think execution is an important part of fighting games but something like Rising Thunder is way too low of a bar and that would bore me to death. SFV found a good balance imo. I might know how to do most of Balrog's biggest combos but getting to that point is that challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom