• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

The older backgrounds having 30fps assets is a design issue, not related to the hardware.

If it was hardware related then the PC version wouldn't have the same flaw and the new stages would still have 30fps assets (they do not, they are all 60fps).

RM8

Fuck it, I'm gonna bite the bullet and finally get Killer Instinct (if it goes on sale for black Friday)
I want to like it so badly, but the gameplay is definitely not my thing :( It's a great effort to revive the series and the developers have done a great job, but I don't find the combo system fun at all. I'm haunted by the fact that I can't be a badass cheerleader Riptor main...

Skilletor

I want to like it so badly, but the gameplay is definitely not my thing :( It's a great effort to revive the series and the developers have done a great job, but I don't find the combo system fun at all. I'm haunted by the fact that I can't be a badass cheerleader Riptor main...

Same.

And I think the game looks like cancer for the eyes. And the music is cancer for the ears.

Basically it assaults every sense I have except smell.

Glad others can enjoy it, though.

Same.

And I think the game looks like cancer for the eyes. And the music is cancer for the ears.

It's the opposite for me actually. I think the music is fantastic (MICK GORDON!!) and the particle effects get insane in those intense long combo situations.

The character models could definitely look better though.

Plus I love how practically every character is so damn wacky.

EDIT: Though I can see why one might not like the insane, balls-to-the-wall style and aesthetic of the game.

Skilletor

It's the opposite for me actually. I think the music is fantastic (MICK GORDON!!) and the particle effects get insane in those intense long combo situations.

The character models could definitely look better though.

Plus I love how practically every character is so damn wacky.

EDIT: Though I can see why one might not like the insane, balls-to-the-wall style and aesthetic of the game.

For sure, I see the appeal, and I'm glad it's successful and doing well. Just not for me.

I have a few friends who are getting gaming pcs built that want to play, though, and since I own s1 and s2 and love fighters, I'll probably put some time in eventually.

I had no idea the PS4 version doesn't/didn't hold 60fps.

It's always been my theory that it's the reason there's so much rollback. If the PC version is holdilng 60fps and the PS4 is dropping even a few frames at random, that can't be good for this type of netcode, right?

I'm just pulling that logic out of my ass, but seems right to me!

Pompadour

Same.

Yeah, it really is ugly as sin. I do wish that the games that get things like the netcode and matchmaking right (KI, Skullgirls) I found more fun to play.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone measured this recently? I remember a lot of complaints about frame drops on certain stages early on and I want to say it got fixed. Not sure if this influenced online play, though.

FluxWaveZ

Aesthetics are extremely important to me when it comes to a fighting game I want to devote hundreds of hours to. Killer Instinct, to me, is so ugly and just boring looking that I couldn't truly spend that much time wanting to play it.

Hisako's really cool, though. And the music is fantastic.

Skilletor

Aesthetics are extremely important to me when it comes to a fighting game I want to devote hundreds of hours to. Killer Instinct, to me, is so ugly and just boring looking that I couldn't truly spend that much time wanting to play it.

Hisako's really cool, though. And the music is fantastic.

Art is probably the most important thing in a fighter to me. It's why I'll never play those anime loli fighters even if they're technically amazing.

RM8

I'm mostly turned off by gameplay. Ugly art too, but then I have MK9 a proper chance and that game was impossibly hideous, lol.

Spuck-uk

Banned
This is something that literally all fighting games do. You don't see 1093420894098 different combos. You see 2 or 3. People do the things that work best, work for the situation, and do the most damage.

Not entiiiirely true. Games that have more situational variables have more situational combos. thinking like wall/floor breaks, starting position versus wall combos in Tekken, weight dependent and height dependent combos in Guilty Gear.

Streetfighter by its nature has a limited space for these things, and folks are always going to go for the most optimised combo that's viable.

To be fair, it's one of the few buttons in the game that's actually good for whiff punishing.

Give everyone better ranged normals in 2017 please, I miss footsies :(

#MakeFootsiesGreatAgain

Though they already are pretty good IMO, certain characters are just much better at it than others.

Spuck-uk

Banned
#MakeFootsiesGreatAgain

Though they already are pretty good IMO, certain characters are just much better at it than others.

All characters across the board have shorter/slower neutral buttons than SF4, as well as the input lag issue. You see top level players whiffing shit that would have got them murdered in SF4.

LakeEarth

I hadn't played much Battle Lounge because I want that million FM trophy, but thanks to the challenge this week, I tried it out. There's some real killers on there. I ran into a zero rank Ken player who was super defensive, and I couldn't figure out how to make him twitch. Dash up throw got tech'd, but dash up jabs got blocked, and eventually I just ran into a buffered normal into death. Good stuff to that dude.

JayEH

I wouldn't even say there's a face issue since things like Ken looking horrible is mostly due to the angle and lighting of him on the character select screen. In game he looks fine. His premium costume was a mistake though. Nothing can save that.

Marvel

could never
This is known.

Street fighter 5 looks great too, aside from face issues.

I like tekken 7's look better though, i'm a sucker for trying to bring anime into realism.
Ken's face aside, the hair and clipping on some of the cast bothers me the most in V.

I think V is a lovely looking game.

V really shines on high-end PC systems. There are modders who have even attempted to fix hair clipping with physics mods, at least with Laura.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I was kind of impressed with the hair of the dolls in the story mode. I think theirs was better than that of a few main cast members. They worked around the limitations.

Marvel

could never
I was kind of impressed with the hair of the dolls in the story mode. I think theirs was better than that of a few main cast members. They worked around the limitations.
I noticed that too, makes sense I guess being later devolopment.

Still holding out hope for that Doll with the megaphone as DLC down the line. (Tweaked tho natrually)

Marvel

could never
I suppose he does indeed look a little better in-game, as you're zoomed out and beating the shit out of one another. That bike jacket and shorthair one though is unforgiveable.

I honestly think, a few odd faces or quirks aside, Street Fighter V is a beautiful game. The stuff they've done with the models, the lighting, the effects, and especially the animations are a generation ahead of Street Fighter IV. And on PC at 1440p/60+ FPS that shit is *chef finger kiss*

GKnYPuW.gif

another great thing about the PC version is the ability to turn off Ono's waaaaaaaacky NPCs

The Lair of the Four Kings is much cooler without ninjas and jetpacks and weird robots running around

Marvel

could never
another great thing about the PC version is the ability to turn off Ono's waaaaaaaacky NPCs

The Lair of the Four Kings is much cooler without ninjas and jetpacks and weird robots running around
Yes, my fave stage and I'm jealous of those that get that PLUS the better modded lighting.

Pompadour

They should just provide NPC-free variants of every stage (which they're almost doing already).

stn

SF3 Ken is, IMO, the best representation of the character. Ryu, Akuma, and Chun-Li were awesome, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom