• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I like Kandoken's re-interpretations of Kinu Nishimura's CvS2 Ken art.

12822289_1709745949263948_1116688342_n.jpg
Godlike

the game hitched on me on three separate times going into a casual match in the last hour, black screen with a froze loading sign in the bottom corner only thing i could do was close application

just got banned and lost 1k points for the third freeze, thanks capcom your game is great

JayEH

I like alpha Ken the most. SFV ken is my second favorite actually. I really like the idea behind the design. Alpha chun is great too. Would like that as a costume. My conspiracy theory for why they haven't said anything about Alex and Ibuki's nostalgia costume is that they're making one for everyone in the cast who doesn't have one already in conjunction with the relaunch of the game.
Lol

Ryce

They might be holding off on the Alex and Ibuki costumes until February, the 20th anniversary of Street Fighter III.

mbpm1

I don't know if that would have made a difference at this point. They would have done a super rushed schedule with whoever was at the art director's board no matter what, like with everything in this game.

Edzi

You know, I'm genuinely curious why they don't just tinker with Ken's face a bit. It's not even something they need to do with the model, just change his char. select pose a bit and it should be fine. I can't imagine it'd take too much work, and I'm sure the guys at Capcom know how bad he looks from certain angles, unless they're even more clueless than I thought.

And speaking of weird looking models, Chun's victory post does a weird thing with her face in most lighting conditions where she looks really bad, and her arms also do some weird warping which is visible on any costume that exposes her upper arm. The victory pose thing is really weird to me too, since it used to be fine in the betas until they changed it for some reason. It's like they're trying to find the most unflattering angles to show off their character models.

DR2K

Banned
It's funny how this game evolved in regards to mashing jab. The funny part is that they balanced the game to discourage mashing jab aka SFIV. But now it's much worse.

Edzi

It's funny how this game evolved in regards to mashing jab. The funny part is that they balanced the game to discourage mashing jab aka SFIV. But now it's much worse.

Honestly, stuff like this makes me think they didn't really know what they were doing in regards to balance, and that the fact that the game is mostly balanced as it is was mostly an accident. Chun and Ryu, the two characters they've had the most time to work on, are probably the most broken in the game. Jabs being incredible despite their goal being downplaying that kind of gameplay is just really odd.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think the jab mashing is working as intended. It's counter-hit bait and if you got your setups down, you will punish that stuff hard.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This is my favorite depiction of SFV Ken.

I don't know whether it's official or fan art, but I'm guessing the latter. Of course, he's shown in profile so who knows how it would turn out in 3D, but the things they get right are how angular his face is and how normal his eyes are. I also like how he kind of looks like a Castlevania protagonist to me.

It's just such a bummer that they really nailed Ryu's facial structure (quibbles with his hair modeling aside) but couldn't do it for Ken. Maybe there was too much emphasis on differentiating them and it spilled over from gameplay into appearance. "Ryu looks like a determined fighter with a chiseled face so... let's make Ken look like a moon-faced idiot!"

Edzi

This is my favorite depiction of SFV Ken.

I don't know whether it's official or fan art, but I'm guessing the latter. Of course, he's shown in profile so who knows how it would turn out in 3D, but the things they get right are how angular his face is and how normal his eyes are. I also like how he kind of looks like a Castlevania protagonist to me.

It's just such a bummer that they really nailed Ryu's facial structure (quibbles with his hair modeling aside) but couldn't do it for Ken. Maybe there was too much emphasis on differentiating them and it spilled over from gameplay into appearance. "Ryu looks like a determined fighter with a chiseled face so... let's make Ken look like a moon-faced idiot!"

He needs smaller eyes, more of a forehead, and some reworking on his creepy teeth/smile. Also, for goodness sake, choose some flattering angles for him.

DR2K

Banned
Honestly, stuff like this makes me think they didn't really know what they were doing in regards to balance, and that the fact that the game is mostly balanced as it is was mostly an accident. Chun and Ryu, the two characters they've had the most time to work on, are probably the most broken in the game. Jabs being incredible despite their goal being downplaying that kind of gameplay is just really odd.

I mean Zangief and Sim have these pressure tools they're not supposed to have. It just looks ridiculous.

mbpm1

So what they wanted to do was to eliminate the use of jabs to be used as the all-purpose safe-pressure/confirm/damage tools that they were in SFIV.

On that front...not sure if they really succeeded.

You can't link jabs into mediums anymore: True, but in counterhit situations you still often can which you will often get with awkward meatty situations or the same frame traps you would always put in or in general countering certain frame traps due to less advantage on block in general. In addition jabs will beat throws often in those situations bc throws are 5 frames and lead to counterhit.

You can't link jabs into damage: You can in counterhits like above, or V-trigger cancels for some. In addition although cammy or karin may not get a ton of damage off jabs they still get knockdown and on their own wakeup a reset to positioning which means a lot in this game as in IV. In addition if they have meter some characters can CA confirm in some way which does mean damage.

Jabs aren't as good as general all purpose buttons like Rog's SFIV jab or Elena's hitbox from hell: True but buttons in general aren't as good, this change feels less pronounced unless you wanted Elena's jab.

People won't want to use jabs as an all purpose defense tool: Not really true for all the reasons above. In fact some characters without reversals don't really have much option to do otherwise. Also, jab AAs are a thing. If people make you respect frametraps you won't, but that was also the case in IV.

JayEH

they definitely changed their design philosophy later on as the game went on. notice that all but 1 DLC character has a 3 bar v trigger and none of them have meterless reversals.

mbpm1

How in the hell is one day of Juri practice working better for me than 6 months of Mika practice?

some people click with different characters

but potentially beginner's luck

I always body people with a new character for a few hours day 1 and then start getting bodied immediately after

Big Brett

Wow long time no see guys! How's everyone faring these days? Still on the grind? I've slowed down a lot now that there's so many other games out.

Marvel

could never
Yay GAF is back up.

Good parry, but you could've killed him with CA there.
Yeah, was too shook to do it though lol.

And it was a happy dance not a taunt, but I suppose he wouldn't know that heh. Oh I get comments like that whenever I link a vid here sadly.

Banned people like to piss and moan any chance they get. Why I rarely do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom