• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackat

I got carried away making avatars from that deadendthrills site lol. I had forgotten it existed. They have some cool stuff on there.

PWKY2Uy.png

juricammy3foydw.png

w2Sw0BF.png

adHEFCm.png

IW49nJs.png

feel free to use them if you like, community thread.

I wish they had some more Laura stuff. Are there any other screenshot pages like that one?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Does anyone know "Boltstrike_I" from the UK? Ranked #97 worldwide and it's a little too easy for me to beat him...

Yeah, plays Vega right?

Hes really good, had an incredible Gen in SfIV, but is just one of those players that's stronger in long sets.

I have been getting that 2100d connection error message for the last 2 hours or so, despite my internet being generally fine (Im on XBL right now playing Overwatch). Are the SFV servers usually garbage, or is it more likely something at my end?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Most of the SF2 characters are generic as hell. Karate dude, kung fu girl who kicks, beast man, big wrestler guy, a boxer, a dude that can stretch his limbs, a sumo wrestler, and a masked ninja. None of these were original when SF2 came out.

A lot of streetfighter characters are based on someone else, either real or fictional:

Ken: Joe Lewis, karate practitioner
Sagat: Sagat Petchyindee, muay thai legend
Zangief: Victor Zangief, wrestler
Balrog: Mike Tyson
M.Bison: Yasunori Kato, fictional villain
Guile: Stroheim from Jojos
Rose: Lisa Lisa from Jojos (literally identical)
Dudley: Chris Eubank, boxer
Fei Long: Bruce Lee
Eagle: Freddy Mercury
Dee Jay: Billy Blanks
Abel: Fedor Emilianenko, sambo wrestler, MMA star
Yun/Yang: Gundam Wing characters
Alex: Hulk Hogan
Cammy: Gally from Gunm/Battle Angel Alita (check out the pout and cannon drill)
Dhalsim: Indian yogi from 'master of the flying guillotine'
Q: robot detective K

There's a bunch more I'm forgetting.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, plays Vega right?

Hes really good, had an incredible Gen in SfIV, but is just one of those players that's stronger in long sets.
I played him more than once and I guess he was just messing around with different characters. No Vega in sight.

Pompadour

A lot of streetfighter characters are based on someone else, either real or fictional:

Eagle: Freddy Mercury

He was originally based on a henchman from the Bruce Lee's film Fist of Fury until he was brought back for CvS2 where they gave him an ascot and made all of his quotes Queen references.

Dan is famously a pastiche of like four Art of Fighting characters.

Neoxon

• Ken: Joe Lewis, karate practitioner
  • Sagat: Sagat Petchyindee, muay thai legend
  • Zangief: Victor Zangief, wrestler
  • Balrog: Mike Tyson
  • M.Bison: Yasunori Kato, fictional villain
  • Guile: Stroheim from Jojos
  • Rose: Lisa Lisa from Jojos (literally identical)
  • Dudley: Chris Eubank, boxer
  • Fei Long: Bruce Lee
  • Eagle: Freddy Mercury
  • Dee Jay: Billy Blanks
  • Abel: Fedor Emilianenko, sambo wrestler, MMA star
  • Yun/Yang: Gundam Wing characters
  • Alex: Hulk Hogan
  • Cammy: Gally from Gunm/Battle Angel Alita (check out the pout and cannon drill)
  • Dhalsim: Indian yogi from 'master of the flying guillotine'
  • Q: Robot Detective K

You missed a spot.

Juri: Jolyne Kujo from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean

Neoxon

As someone who's only knowledge of Jojo is ZA WARUDO and the fact that Daigo likes it, what's the show about?
It's a multi-generational story following the Joestar lineage & their fights with, well, tons of bizarre shit. In just Parts 1-4 alone, they go from a vampire to immortal pillar men to the previous vampire to a serial killer. It's one of those things where you need to go in blind, you'll thank me later. The best part of JoJo's is that even if you don't like one part, the next part may be to your liking since it's so radically different from the previous one (Ex: If you don't like Part 1, you may adore Part 2). Though if you ask me, while Part 1 is enjoyable, Part 2 (which starts in Episode 10 of the first season) is really when JoJo's comes into its own. Trust me, it's hard enough to explain it. You just have to watch it (or read the manga) to understand.

Village

As someone who's only knowledge of Jojo is ZA WARUDO and the fact that Daigo likes it, what's the show about?

uh... a lot. There are parts, all the parts are about different things. Ussually people fighting.

Its characterized by the inspired fahsion-esque posing of the characters insane outfits and abilities these characters have. I could give you a brief one line about what each part is about... but jojo is the type of thing where that doesn't actively explain the insanity that is jojo and you need to either read the manga or watch the anime yourself

It's a multi-generational story following the Joestar lineage & their fights with, well, tons of bizarre shit. In just Parts 1-4 alone, they go from a vampire to immortal pillar men to the previous vampire to a serial killer. It's one of those things where you need to go in blind, you'll thank me later. The best part of JoJo's is that even if you don't like one part, the next part may be to your liking since it's so radically different from the previous one.

Huh sounds cool. Is it full blown manga or is there a show or anime that I can watch?

myco666

First two parts are about Vampires and then it goes to these things called Stands which are basically Personas if you are familiar with that series.

Neoxon

Huh sounds cool. Is it full blown manga or is there a show or anime that I can watch?
It's a manga & an anime. The manga is currently on Part 8. As for the anime, the Japanese version is almost done with Part 4 (Diamond is Unbreakable), while Toonami is about half-way through Part 1's (Phantom Blood) English dub (it's only 9 episodes, while Part 2, Battle Tendency, takes up Episodes 10-26 of Season 1). You can pick which one you want to follow, but the anime adaptation is fantastic overall.

It's a manga & an anime. The manga is currently on Part 8. As for the anime, the Japanese version is almost done with Part 4 (Diamond is Unbreakable), while Toonami is about half-way through Part 1's English dub. You can pick which one you want to follow, but the anime adaptation is fantastic overall.
Its been a manga for over a decade, its seperated into parts.

The manga is up to part 8

The current anime adaptation has only made it to part 4

I don't think I'll be able to read the manga so I'll probably watch the anime from the start since I don't mind Japanese dubs. Thanks for the info everyone.

Neoxon

I don't think I'll be able to read the manga so I'll probably watch the anime from the start since I don't mind Japanese dubs. Thanks for the info everyone.
Following it with Toonami is alright if you want to start from the beginning, unless you prefer to watch your anime subbed.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Straight up, the only anime i've watched* and i highly recommend it.
Has it all: Awesome characters, Awesome fights and Awesome poses.
It's a huge influence for fighting game developers, KOF's Benimaru is based on Polnareff from JOJO's

*I watched Dragonabll and Caballeros del Zodiaco when i was a kid but i didnt knew it was "anime"

lupinko

It's a huge influence for fighting game developers, KOF's Benimaru is based on Polnareff from JOJO's

*I watched Dragonabll and Caballeros del Zodiaco when i was a kid but i didnt knew it was "anime"

Everything is like from JoJo and HNK.

Anyway besides Benimaru, you have Gill / Necalli / Urien, Juri, Guile, Rose, etc., etc...

Yeah sure.

Are you using Dhalsim? I remember you talking about dhalsim a few times. I could certainly use the practice because i can't find Dhalsim players but i don't know how useful i will be with the very limited knowledge i have against your character.
It'll be fine, I'm in the middle of learning the ropes again (concerning general match-up intricacies) anyways.

I give Jojo a strong recommendation as well, and it's the only anime I've ever gotten into. It definitely has its own special, unique appeal, to say the least. There's a ton of scenes I wanna mention, but it's best to just let people go in as blind as possible.

I'd also like to give a nod to the dub. I know a lot of anime fans swear by subs, but the dub is quality and made Jojo a lot more entertaining to me than it likely would have been otherwise.

Neoxon

I give Jojo a strong recommendation as well, and it's the only anime I've ever gotten into. It definitely has its own special, unique appeal, to say the least. There's a ton of scenes I wanna mention, but it's best to just let people go in as blind as possible.

I'd also like to give a nod to the dub. I know a lot of anime fans swear by subs, but the dub is quality and made Jojo a lot more entertaining to me than it likely would have been otherwise.
This. The dub's actually better than I expected it to be, & the little we've heard of Part 3's dub sounds great.

Dang, you guys are really confusing me lol.

I'd honestly prefer an English dub but I don't think I'll have the fortitude to wait one week per episode if I do end up liking the show which from all that you guys have said, seems almost certain.

EDIT: They're eventually gonna air all the parts in the dubbed version right? Cause if that's the case then what the hell, I'll watch the dub.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You make me want to watch some JoJo lol

How much ist there to see? Please don't say 900 episodes.

Zackat

Until the day I die, I will never understand how this photo occurred

The only thing I can possibly fathom is that Elena is too nice for Akuma, The Ultimate Hater, to be mean to

I only tell truths
Elena kept tripping him and healing into infinity so he gave up.

I come to bargain for a selfie, Akuma.

Pompadour

You could just stop at episode 26 since it isn't going to get better than that. If you definitely need more then just keep going.

Eh, I'm of the opinion that the show doesn't become Jojo until Stands are introduced. Of course, I started with the old OVAs in the early 2000s so I was only vaguely aware of the first two parts as being Jojo before Jojo developed the concept that defines the series.

Neoxon

Dang, you guys are really confusing me lol.

I'd honestly prefer an English dub but I don't think I'll have the fortitude to wait one week per episode if I do end up liking the show which from all that you guys have said, seems almost certain.

EDIT: They're eventually gonna air all the parts in the dubbed version right? Cause if that's the case then what the hell, I'll watch the dub.
All of Season 1, which contains Parts 1 & 2, has already been dubbed by Warner Bros. last year. Viz Media, who has since taken the distribution & dubbing rights for the JoJo anime, also confirmed that Parts 3 & 4 will be dubbed, with Part 3's dub currently being in production. So yeah, you can count on all of JoJo being dubbed. As mentioned earlier, JoJo is also on Toonami (right after DBZ Kai), so you can follow the show there if you want to watch the dub.

Elena kept tripping him and healing into infinity so he gave up.

I come to bargain for a selfie, Akuma.
/dead

myco666

Eh, I'm of the opinion that the show doesn't become Jojo until Stands are introduced. Of course, I started with the old OVAs in the early 2000s so I was only vaguely aware of the first two parts as being Jojo before Jojo developed the concept that defines the series.

Stands are great but it also creates a problem where half the episodes feel like filler since you get a new jobber every single episode. Story barely progresses during the first season of Part 3 and then you get the most disappointing ending in the Part 3 finale. Part 4 seems to be okay but its not Part 2 levels of good.

Village

Stands are great but it also creates a problem where half the episodes feel like filler since you get a new jobber every single episode. Story barely progresses during the first season of Part 3 and then you get the most disappointing ending in the Part 3 finale. Part 4 seems to be okay but its not Part 2 levels of good.
I think part 4 is levels above 2, part 6 too. 7 is the best though

Do you guys think there is any chance Capcom will give us some in game DLC sales for Black Friday? I really want a few stages, but they're a bit expensive to buy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom