• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
The game needs to be re-released in some way once most major and minor issues have been addressed, along with a small humbling marketing push to get positive word of mouth going.
sony could have helped things a bunch if they had included it in a black friday bundle or something. maybe the base sf5 will be a psn plus free game in december or some other month.

JayEH

I wasn't on gaf at the time but Was there all these doomed threads about tekken when tag 2 missed sales targets? Lol

Pompadour

SFV is gonna be just fine, Capcom just needs to fix the main problems which have been outlined for them time and time again.

Yeah, I agree it's likely to be fine, I just don't understand some of people's thoughts on this game. SFV has already been made so the majority of the money needed to create the game has been spent. The future of the game is all in DLC now which is a model that already presumes that they'll be selling to a considerably smaller chunk of the player base of the people who purchased the game so, to make up for less sales, the prices are ratcheted up. If 12,000+ people will buy the crazy expensive CPT DLC then I'm sure the regular DLC is selling fine.

And this is an argument I've had to trot out in these threads over and over: USF4 and AE weren't developed because vanilla SF4 sold super well. They base future development on recent sales and by who is still playing the game. USF4 sold because AE told them people will still buying SF4 updates. AE sold because SSF4's sales told them the same thing.

I wasn't on gaf at the time but Was there all these doomed threads about tekken when tag 2 missed sales targets? Lol

Capcom employs business practices that GAF really despises to the point where, I believe, plenty of posters who haven't played a Capcom game in a decade will continually weigh in on Capcom games to celebrate when they fail. Street Fighter x Tekken, in particular, pissed a lot of people off and I'm sure a lot of people who made it a hobby to shitpost about Capcom back then still enjoy shitposting about SFV now. They believe that Capcom is a shitty business that screws over customers and that when their games do poorly that the "consumer" is winning.

jett

D-Member
GAF's view on V is pretty brutal.

Well that's what you get when you release something that actively ignores millions of casual, mainstream SF fans.

There's nothing really "brutal" anyway about the negative outlook on SFV. The game selling 100k units since launch is a sad fact of life.

Onemic

Well that's what you get when you release something that actively ignores millions of casual, mainstream SF fans.

There's nothing really "brutal" anyway about the negative outlook on SFV. The game selling 100k units since launch is a sad fact of life.

It ignored everyone, not just casual fans. Casual fans just got hit the worst. The whole "it was only made for the FGC" thing is bs.

Game is probably past the 1.4 million mark. Why do people keep saying 100k units since launch?

joe2187

Banned
Anybody have tips for proper V Reversal usage?

Im so bad at it, I always just save it for V trigger and never use my reversal at all.

Im so bad at it, I always just save it for V trigger and never use my reversal at all.
Try to do it after blocking heavies/mediums/safe specials that have longer recovery animations. Doing it after Jump-ins is good but the enemy can catch on and try to throw afterwards.

Some characters are entirely dependent on their V-Trigger though, like Urien/Ibuki/Chun-Li so it's not really worth V-Reversaling with them all that much.

I typically use it when I'm close to being stunned to save my ass. Just be aware than the opponent can grab you out of it if they read you.

JayEH

You usually want to do it when the opponent does something + or slightly - but close to you and are about to be stunned or put in a mix up situation. An example might be to use it after bison's scissor kicks or Mika's drop kick.

Producer

Who do you play? You generally wanna use it when you're getting backed up to a corner, or when your stun gauge is nearing 50 percent or more, stuff like that. Some attacks you want to vreversal like Mika dropkick, mika fHP, chun ex legs depending on your character, etcb

HardRojo

sony could have helped things a bunch if they had included it in a black friday bundle or something. maybe the base sf5 will be a psn plus free game in december or some other month.

I could see them doing that later next year, again, after most issues have been addressed. Getting matches still takes a while and I don't know why they didn't make the process quicker and seamless: If you are in training mode and get a match then finish that match, you have to wait for the game to go back to the training stage loading screen again before it starts searching for a match again, it should load for some seconds in the background and put your right back into training mode, I think this was the case in USF4.

Pompadour

Game is probably past the 1.4 million mark. Why do people keep saying 100k units since launch?

Well, the thing is that SFV shipped 1.4 million at launch so it's probably sold more than 100k since launch. However, that also means they might not have sold 1.4 million at all to consumers.

I could see them doing that later next year, again, after most issues have been addressed. Getting matches still takes a while and I don't know why they didn't make the process quicker and seamless: If you are in training mode and get a match then finish that match, you have to wait for the game to go back to the training stage loading screen again before it starts searching for a match again, it should load for some seconds in the background and put your right back into training mode, I think this was the case in USF4.

I get matches very quickly and I float around between Ultra Silver and Gold so I believe the actual matchmaking process has been fixed. However, they definitely need to alleviate as much loading screen downtime as much as possible.

I always thought that if you're joining matches from Training that once your match ends the game puts you into Training using the same character and stage that you used during the match. If you want to train with a different character than the one you play Ranked/Casual, that's fine but you'll have to deal with the loading screens. But I imagine 90% of people use Fight Request in Training to practice combos or set-ups with the same character they're going to play online with.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

The best use of V-Reversal is against slow moves that are plus on block. Bison's st.hk, Alex's lariat, f.hp from Mika or moonsaults from Nash for example, because you can avoid a guessing situation. Another reason to use them is to lower stun. If you get one off, you've usually completely avoided the risk of getting stunned.

The rest depends on the type of V-Reversal your character has. Those that can switch sides are useful even against slow moves that are negative on block (like a Hadouken for example), just to get out of the corner. Others like Karin's can give you good offense so it might be worth to spend it more often, too.

You usually want to do it when the opponent does something + or slightly - but close to you and are about to be stunned or put in a mix up situation. An example might be to use it after bison's scissor kicks or Mika's drop kick.
Only EX scissors is +, light and medium are actually pretty punishable.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

But the criticism isn't strictly "this game isn't selling well!" In fact, that's not even criticism of the game. It's not relevant to the end user unless the player base completely vanishes, which is not going to happen.

There's something about this game that has people fuming nine months after launch, after 6 more characters have been added, after some single player content has been added, after rage-quitting has been reduced, after matchmaking has been improved, after it's been available for half price or less on multiple occasions.

What is energizing this obsessive negativity? When I don't like a game, I might say so, like, once and then I move the fuck on with my life. I don't participate in threads for games I don't like or have no interest in. Why would I?

I'm sure the DLC plan contributes to it. Many gamers have an obsessive completionist mindset and the idea of picking and choosing certain content or being forced to lay out a ton of cash to get EVERYTHING must chafe. Being able to earn some stuff for free wouldn't be sufficient comfort for them.

The fact that's it's not on Xbox probably draws extra ire, as Rise of the Tomb Raider did. (Not saying they're equivalent business deals, just equivalent outcomes.)

The most charitable explanation I can come up with is that most of the complainers really love SF and so their disappointment continues to smolder. I don't know if I believe that one, though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, the opposite for me. I actually think Ken is totally fine (except for air tatsu hitboxes) and Ryu is BS.

joe2187

Banned
Thanks for the V reversal advice, now to apply it and then fail stupendously until I get it right for only a couple of times.

At this point though, I really don't consider any character in the game to be annoying or to be "bullshit".

It's just particular moves that irk me. Ken's air tatsu, ryu's j.lk, Chun's st.lk and st.hp, Instant Air Legs (though not as much anymore), etc.

Pompadour

But the criticism isn't strictly "this game isn't selling well!" In fact, that's not even criticism of the game. It's not relevant to the end user unless the player base completely vanishes, which is not going to happen.

There's something about this game that has people fuming nine months after launch, after 6 more characters have been added, after some single player content has been added, after rage-quitting has been reduced, after matchmaking has been improved, after it's been available for half price or less on multiple occasions.

What is energizing this obsessive negativity? When I don't like a game, I might say so like once and then I move the fuck on with my life. I don't participate in threads for games I don't like or have no interest in. Why would I?

I'm sure the DLC plan contributes to it. Many gamers have an obsessive completionist mindset and the idea of picking and choosing certain content or being forced to lay out a ton of cash to get EVERYTHING must chafe. Being able to earn some stuff for free wouldn't be sufficient comfort for them.

The fact that's it's not on Xbox probably draws extra ire, as Rise of the Tomb Raider did. (Not saying they're equivalent business deals, just equivalent outcomes.)

The most charitable explanation I can come up with is that most of the complainers really love SF and so their disappointment continues to smolder. I don't know if I believe that one, though.

Capcom is a target by the same people who bitch about EA, Ubisoft, or Activision about their anti-consumer business practices. However, Capcom is a rewarding target because they aren't nearly as successful as those other companies so they can count on getting a dopamine rush when a future Capcom title underperforms when those other companies will keep on trucking with hit after hit.

But yes, the game not selling well only has two impacts on the people who actually play Street Fighter V:
  • The playerbase may shrink to where it's hard to find matches. This has not happened and the game's playerbase is about as healthy as USF4's playerbase. Despite all the doom and gloom, it's much easier to find matches than in "better" fighting games like King of Fighters XIV or Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator.
  • They may abandon future development. Ono reiterating that they plan on supporting this game for years (and currently through the end of 2020) suggests that the bad sales of the game hasn't changed their plans much, if at all.

Onemic

Capcom is a target by the same people who bitch about EA, Ubisoft, or Activision about their anti-consumer business practices. However, Capcom is a rewarding target because they aren't nearly as successful as those other companies so they can count on getting a dopamine rush when a future Capcom title underperforms when those other companies will keep on trucking with hit after hit.

But yes, the game not selling well only has two impacts on the people who actually play Street Fighter V:
  • The playerbase may shrink to where it's hard to find matches. This has not happened and the game's playerbase is about as healthy as USF4's playerbase. Despite all the doom and gloom, it's much easier to find matches than in "better" fighting games like King of Fighters XIV or Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator.
  • They may abandon future development. Ono reiterating that they plan on supporting this game for years (and currently through the end of 2020) suggests that the bad sales of the game hasn't changed their plans much, if at all.

nah b

Pompadour

When Tekken doesn't sell well, the fanbase goes, "IT doesn't need to because of arcade money!"

You know, I'm not sure if I would have preferred SFV starting with an arcade release first like every other Street Fighter game or not. On one hand, I got to play the game the same time as everyone instead of watching match videos recorded off someone's phone for a year until I got to play it. On the other hand the game would have launched with more characters and an arcade mode so I would have posted in about 100 less SFV bitching threads.

I put "better" in quotation marks specifically because I don't agree that these are better games. Especially not King of Fighters XIV.

Yeahh... no.

I can find matches MUCH more consistently in SF5 as compared to those 2.

KoFXiv (through matchmaking) is dead for me because of the region filters.

Guilty Gear Xrd just does not have THAT many players (though it's definitely decent during weekends)

Pompadour

Yeahh... no.

Guilty Gear Xrd just does not have THAT many players (though it's definitely decent during weekends)

Isn't that what I said? KOF14 and GGXrd barely have anyone playing and it's extremely hard to find matches unless you want to play the same three or four people over and over. I think you misinterpreted my post.

myco666

Yeahh... no.

I think you read that post wrong since that is basically what King Awesome is saying.

I think he's just going off how places like Kappa see SFV compared to other games, where it's not necessarily better or worse, but other people like to pit those games against SFV like it's the late 90s era of fighting games (which, I don't know why people feel the need to do this - the bigger one fighting game is, the better it is for the entire community of fighters because that leaks in more exposure - in other words, people play more than one fighting game now more than ever).

I think the service-as-a-game model is really what's keeping the Season 1 afloat, and like King said, continued support is a huge indicator that Capcom's plans aren't altered that much besides adding more content quicker. eSports is also another reason they and Sony are sticking around with this game.

Mizerman

At the end of the day, SF is one of Capcom's main franchises. When it comes to RE, DMC, MH or SF, they're stubborn enough to keep supporting it for a long time. Like it or not, SFV is a mainline title and they're going to keep going until they actually stop. Even SF3 which wasn't a big seller got a few years of updates in spite of it. The idea that SFV is suddenly going to be abandoned just because of this setback is delusional at best, stupid at worst.

Besides, it's not like Darkstalkers (the FF7 of fighting games apparently) and Power Stone are coming back if SFV fails.

Pompadour

I think he's just going off how places like Kappa see SFV compared to other games, where it's not necessarily better or worse, but other people like to pit those games against SFV like it's the late 90s era of fighting games (which, I don't know why people feel the need to do this - the bigger one fighting game is, the better it is for the entire community of fighters because that leaks in more exposure - in other words, people play more than one fighting game now more than ever).

Exactly. There's sections of the FGC that love to shit on SFV and when Xrd and XIV were coming out you'd see a lot of talk about how people to need to support an fighting game that was "actually good." And then about a month after those games released these communities stopped talking about these games entirely but kept on shitting on SFV.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's why I would love to see an arcade version. It would force them to keep working on it. Wasn't that also the reason for the long SF3 support?

JayEH

Exactly. There's sections of the FGC that love to shit on SFV and when Xrd and XIV were coming out you'd see a lot of talk about how people to need to support an fighting game that was "actually good." And then about a month after those games released these communities stopped talking about these games entirely but kept on shitting on SFV.

Yep. Everyone likes to talk big.

w8m62dC.jpg

Tik-Tok

You guys don't get that SFV is a bad game and people want to move on to something better as quickly as possible?

You don't get that people will play whatever all their friends are playing, and it's annoying / upsetting to them that everyone is playing SFV despite the fact that a large chunk of those people think it's garbo?

Skilletor

You guys don't get that SFV is a bad game and people want to move on to something better as quickly as possible?

You don't get that people will play whatever all their friends are playing, and it's annoying / upsetting to them that everyone is playing SFV despite the fact that a large chunk of those people think it's garbo?

Is this sarcasm?

I don't get it.

If everybody thinks SF is "garbo," and that has been the case for as long as I have been playing games, there is a vocal minority that says "X GAME IS BETTER," then everybody should go play "X GAME."

Instant community made when people stop bitching about SF and go play other games.

Edit: Oh wow, you're serious.

Then no, no sympathy for anybody playing something they hate. Play what you like or go do something more productive with your time than hating how you're spending it.

JayEH

It's not a bad game. It objectively isn't. It might not be a good product but it's not a bad game.

Wallach

If there were so many people wanting to move on from SFV to some other game, they should get on with it because it sounds like you'd have so many people that you should instantly have a nice little community for that game, yes?

I suspect you won't, but you do you and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom