• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

You guys don't get that SFV is a bad game and people want to move on to something better as quickly as possible?

You don't get that people will play whatever all their friends are playing, and it's annoying / upsetting to them that everyone is playing SFV despite the fact that a large chunk of those people think it's garbo?

They can go play something else? It's not like the game is tying them down and holding them at gunpoint. I mean I would actually play other games and not worry about others playing the games I don't enjoy, but that's just me.

But if they can't handle that, then that's just a personal problem.

Assuming this is factious.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Mmmm.... I do. I don't like SFV. I only play it when I'm with my FGC friends, and only because thats what everyone is playing.
Obviously some do, that happens with every new Street Fighter. People kept bitching about SF4 until last year. But I don't see other fighting games becoming more active. But that should happen then, especially with the praise KOF got and GG is getting. But honestly, I think XIV is sinking faster than XIII.

Pompadour

You guys don't get that SFV is a bad game and people want to move on to something better as quickly as possible?

You don't get that people will play whatever all their friends are playing, and it's annoying / upsetting to them that everyone is playing SFV despite the fact that a large chunk of those people think it's garbo?

Why would you think SFVI would come any faster if they stopped supporting SFV? If they quit now the prevailing opinion on SFV will be that it was garbage and that sentiment would carry onto SFVI (especially if they dropped V and released VI super early like 2019). Although I doubt they'd completely 180 public opinion on V, I'm sure continued development on V would do a lot more the Street Fighter brand than straight up dropping it.

If you only want to move onto another Street Fighter game then you're at Capcom's mercy. If you want people to move onto a different fighting game that you like then you should try and build those communities up.

BlizzKrut

Banned

Don't play it then?

Pompadour

I also think Street Fighter V suffers from the fact that although it's fairly popular for a fighting game, it has a lot of vocal detractors and not a ton of vocal supporters because the game is far from perfect. I like it a lot but I'm not claiming it's the best fighting game or that it's without its flaws.

The issue with games like Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator and King of Fighters XIV is that it has a strong group of vocal supporters and nobody else. There's not enough people playing those games to warrant having people dedicated to shitting on it.

Onemic

Obviously some do, that happens with every new Street Fighter. People kept bitching about SF4 until last year. But I don't see other fighting games becoming more active. But that should happen then, especially with the praise KOF got and GG is getting. But honestly, I think XIV is sinking faster than XIII.

XIV is already dead at this point. XIII at least had a pretty active community for its first 2 years out.

Exactly. There's sections of the FGC that love to shit on SFV and when Xrd and XIV were coming out you'd see a lot of talk about how people to need to support an fighting game that was "actually good." And then about a month after those games released these communities stopped talking about these games entirely but kept on shitting on SFV.

To be fair, I really think it's just a bunch of vocal people going around shitflinging and using other fighting games as a buffer. A lot of people in KOF play SFV, and vice versa. Same thing with GG/BB and other games like MK, KI, and so on. VF players, too, come to SFV. The internet just makes things louder than they appear, which blows since all fighting games deserve players.

Why would a large chunk of people play a game that they don't like, and continue to do so? If such a large portion of dudes hated SFV, then they either need to move on to other fighting games or just admit they enjoy it.

See, here's the thing. When it comes down to it, you can create a scene if you really want other fighters to be popular. This is why Japan still has tournaments for SF3 and VF5. Other places talk a lot of shit but when it comes time to put some effort to promote other games, we fall through hard because we are too busy flinging garbage at the biggest and latest games.

If your group of friends hates SFV so much, they have every possibility to start up a scene for games they enjoy. Clearly you at least have enough numbers for the SFV to be divisive, at least.

On the whole, people enjoy this game. People still watch the tournaments, still play the game offline (big tournaments and locals) and online.

Kashiwaba

Yet if all people are playing it then it's not garbo i understand your points it's like how i like playing PES but I'm forced to play FIFA since it's what all my friends play, but at some point you have to realize that you're the one who is going against the main stream if all people play FIFA then it's in no way a bad game but i don't enjoy it as much as pes and the same for SFV everyone is playing it cuz they enjoy it more than the other fighting games.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
All according to keikaku

250px-Street_Fighter_2010_box.jpg

Onemic

Honestly, I dont think SFV is the greatest fighting game out right now, but I also think it's better than vanilla SF4 that was plagued with balance issues. There's a whole lotta room for improvement for the game just like SF4 and if this vanilla release is any indication, the game can become really good within the coming seasons.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, fun anecdote about its support. They mentioned you could change your CFN id by sending an email. I did that in july, even asked again in september (which they answered to) and I still have the old one, lol

Skilletor

Honestly, I dont think SFV is the greatest fighting game out right now, but I also think it's better than vanilla SF4 that was plagued with balance issues. There's a whole lotta room for improvement for the game just like SF4 and if this vanilla release is any indication, the game can become really good within the coming seasons.

It's certainly the game I'm enjoying most, but I don't bother comparing games.

No current game plays like SF.

GG, KoF, BB, etc all different and offer a variety of different playstyles and mechanics, but none of them are like SF. Tekken, SC, and DoA are all 3D fighters, but all incredibly different. RIP VF.

I just love fighters. I play what I enjoy. I like the grounded style of SF the most out of 2D fighters, but that doesn't mean it's the best even though it's my favorite.

People should just go play what they want. There's a ton of shit out there and most of it has great netcode so even if you don't have a local scene, you can find people online if you really want to.

It's not a bad game. It objectively isn't. It might not be a good product but it's not a bad game.

This is the best way of describing the situation with SFV, I think. Not a good product, but a good game.

And honestly, the state the game is in now as a product is overall more solid than vanilla SF4 during its console launch (which gave it 7 more months in the oven from its initial arcade release). The online performs better and the balance is much, much better.

Really, SFV in its current state is by far the strongest vanilla iteration of any SF game in the series. I think most people that are still on the fence are just waiting for a Season 1 disc and a rereview.

I do hope they STOP PUTTING FUCKING RYU ON THE COVER OF EVERYTHING.

There are so many awesome characters, I've always hated that they just put generic as fuck Ryu with his stupid gloves front and center. Put Guile there and watch this game sell millions in the US. Put Vega, Chun-Li, Rashid and Ken front and center.

Foxt3r

close the door behind you.

Csr

Other games had a lot of hate at launch but turned it around. Capcom has not done what was necessary to turn things around and has added some fuel to the fire as well.

A big reason for that was the character dlc plans that made very difficult to fix or add things to the game, they didn't even know what they would be able to include in a patch with such a short time between each patch so communication was also bad (the other reason communication was bad was just capcom being bad at it) and delays were inevitable. Then you had Capcom Japan blaming Capcom USA then the rootkit and the game still many months after launch has a lot of problems and missing features that people were expecting at launch.

Kashiwaba

There are so many awesome characters, I've always hated that they just put generic as fuck Ryu with his stupid gloves front and center. Put Guile there and watch this game sell millions in the US. Put Vega, Chun-Li, Rashid and Ken front and center. Put Karin

As someone who mains Fang you have to right to talk about awesome characters <<

JayEH

There are so many awesome characters, I've always hated that they just put generic as fuck Ryu with his stupid gloves front and center. Put Guile there and watch this game sell millions in the US. Put Vega, Chun-Li, Rashid and Ken front and center.

Put Mika's ass on the cover and minecraft might have to move over as the best selling game of all time.

Aurizen

Bernie threw me for a loop there for a bit lol.

You did good!! Welcome to SF5.

If you have any questions or need somebody to play with, don't hesitate to ask here. Also do check out the OP if you haven't already. It has some very useful guides and links.

Thank You! I really hope Akuma shows up and not a troll.

Onemic

Nah, Ryu is by far the most popular character in SF and it's not even close. He's pretty much the mascot for fighting games in general. They could do better by adding more than just Ryu though. No Ryu at all would be a mistake.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

No, that's crazy talk. Ryu is THE character. He's basically Capcom's mascot.

You don't put Toad on the cover of Mario Kart, either.

SFV did have those nice alternate covers in asian regions. too bad we couldn't get the same in the west.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that this was the best cover

And this was awesome, too.

Skab

This kind of shit is awful.

It's like people who dislike SF5 are physically unable to accept the fact that people do actually like the game.

"Large chunk" my ass. You know what game had a large chunk of people think it was garbo, and it actually showed? SFxT.

The FGC will drop a game in a heartbeat if it isnt any good. Capcom game or not.

No, that's crazy talk. Ryu is THE character. He's basically Capcom's mascot.
Yeah, I think we can all agree that this was the best cover
Sadly, he is. Though I see more Kens than Ryus but oh well.

And I agree, that cover is so good that I was legitimately considering importing the version before I realized that I'd have to make a JPN account if I wanted to purchase DLC. Then my PS4 disc drive also started acting up but that's a separate issue.

Also, this cover of EDGE magazine would have made an awesome cover for the game IMO. And lol, the alternate cover for EDGE magazine has ONLY Ryu because of course he gets his own.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly, he is. Though I see more Kens than Ryus but oh well.

And I agree, that cover is so good that I was legitimately considering importing the version before I realized that I'd have to make a JPN account if I wanted to purchase DLC. Then my PS4 disc drive also started acting up but that's a separate issue.

Also, this cover of EDGE magazine would have made an awesome cover for the game IMO. And lol, the alternate cover for EDGE magazine has ONLY Ryu because of course he gets his own.
What is FANG looking at, though?

Tik-Tok

I'm not going to respond to everyone in this thread cause thats a lot.

Lots of people didn't like third strike, lots of people didn't like SF4. You didn't see discussions constantly about "HOW CAN WE FIX THIS GAME" when those games came out.

Theres a number of reasons for that. They want the game fixed because if you're a tournament player, and you like street fighter games, you want to play a good game, not one you're being forced to play because thats where the money and competition is.

Street fighter has always had the most players. It always will. If you want to play a game a fighting game that has the greatest chances of you being able to find other people who are able to play the game, you play street fighter. Ideally you'd be playing a good version of street fighter. Not this trash.

And to the people saying stop playing it, I already said earlier in the thread, I more or less have. If you go to your local fighting game gatherings, you'll notice a general consensus. People don't enjoy SF5. People are playing it because everyone else is playing it. Everyone else is playing it because it's Street Fighter.

It actually makes me really sad that I don't enjoy SF5, because I love love love Street Fighter.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
People wanted to fix SF4 all the time! Can't even remember everything now, but option selects, unblockables and the whole vortex-style got a lot of complaints. And Capcom actually did it by adding red focus and delayed wake-up. (Outside of stuff like Ultras and other huge changes characters got)

And SF3, what? That game was basically rejected at first. It took another two full releases until it became more popular.

The God

That's what I love playing as him, and I feel like I'll get to a point where I'm far more comfortable with Guile than with Balrog (I kinda already am).

If the Guile is on point, the opponent gets more and more visibly flustered. And then it gets even easier to predict their patterns and defend against them. It feels nice to just be a wall.

Basically, you have to predict his boom patterns and jump preemptively right as he's throwing one out. The easiest way to close the gap.

Oh wow, didn't realise there were so few tweaks to his face. The whitening helps, but I can see how lighting/angle is affecting it.

Starting to think it's the select screen expression that's causing the most harm. Maybe he should just keep his mouth shut...

Played a couple of decent Guiles this morning and share your pain.
As Flux says, you just gotta try to be less predictable and not lose your cool.
Neutral jump some booms to throw off their timing, and keep an eye out for tells/patterns.
For example, a lot of people tend to throw out a minimum of 2 with every exchange, so learn to look for that and get the jump in.

Who do you use specifically? Obviously a lot of it depends on the tools your character has.

bulldog it and wait for the right time to jump in/push him to the corner.
thanks guys. I use Nash and usually the only I get in is through v-trigger and well timed moonsaults.

Skilletor

Lots of people didn't like third strike, lots of people didn't like SF4. You didn't see discussions constantly about "HOW CAN WE FIX THIS GAME" when those games came out.

Theres a number of reasons for that. They want the game fixed because if you're a tournament player, and you like street fighter games, you want to play a good game, not one you're being forced to play because thats where the money and competition is.

Street fighter has always had the most players. It always will. If you want to play a game a fighting game that has the greatest chances of you being able to find other people who are able to play the game, you play street fighter. Ideally you'd be playing a good version of street fighter. Not this trash.

And to the people saying stop playing it, I already said earlier in the thread, I more or less have. If you go to your local fighting game gatherings, you'll notice a general consensus. People don't enjoy SF5. People are playing it because everyone else is playing it. Everyone else is playing it because it's Street Fighter.

It actually makes me really sad that I don't enjoy SF5, because I love love love Street Fighter.

SF and Final Fantasy are always the games that simultaneously have the best releases and the worst depending on who you ask.

It's hilarious.

The rest of the post is just wrong since there's a fuckton wrong with every SF. The difference between this and, say sf3, is that the Internet and patches are now a thing.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

I did this with SF4--only played because it was the thing to play and it was SF. I never truly liked it and thought it hot garbage plenty of times. I do love SF5 though. *shrug*

The only thing I'm wondering is why you think it's trash. What makes it such a bad SF to you? I don't even want to "convert" you or anything. I'm just curious to hear your side of things.

And on the subject of fixing SF games...nobody wants to fix 3rd Strike, but that's because it had two iterations to be fixed and arguably didn't truly find its audience until later on anyway.

Also, fighting games in general were extremely barebones products back then. Training modes had only recently become standard at the time SF3 saw its console release on Dreamcast. was definitely a lot of negative sentiment around SF3: New Generation and 2nd Impact, and even during the early days of 3rd Strike, and there's still the belief that the SF3 series (temporarily) killed Street Fighter, which is not without its merit.

Anyway, point is, it's fine if you don't like SFV, but similar stuff has happened before with previous SF games, especially in regards to early negativity, and each subseries changes a lot during its lifetime.

So if it makes you sad that you don't enjoy it now, there's still a chance you will eventually, given how much SF evolves.

Marvel

could never
I know thisnis off topic dudes but holy shit I just got a double perfect on a Gold ranked player lol. I haven't done anything like that since MKX launched.

So hyped right now, I had a TERRIBLE day with Ken and Ryu... switched back to my guy Alex and boom. Can now beat people. So he is def my main.

No one else atm on the roster besides Bison clicks like he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom