• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so nice to be recieving rage mail again on PSN...

I forgot what this feeling was like.

I don't think I've ever gotten rage mail honestly, aside from one time I was playing BFBC2 and someone messaged me to "Go back to COD" like 5 years ago.

And last after match message I've gotten was from Guilty Gear Xrd when someone said that I "deserve a better player". He was really nice.

Tik-Tok

Maybe at YOUR local scene that is the case, but that does not reflect how it is everywhere. You are talking out of your ass.

Too much truth.
I'm talking about my scene, which just hosted a North American Capcom ProTour premier event, Canada Cup. An event which I attended and was the least hype tournament I've ever been to for one of that scale, and the general consensus amongst local and visiting players that I spoke to was that SFV is not fun, and they don't enjoy playing it.

SephLuis

I'm talking about my scene, which just hosted a North American Capcom ProTour premier event, Canada Cup. An event which I attended and was the least hype tournament I've ever been to for one of that scale, and the general consensus amongst local and visiting players that I spoke to was that SFV is not fun, and they don't enjoy playing it.

Then play something else ?

Here is the complete opposite. People are much more happy with SF V than IV.

Pompadour

What are the new challenges/missions for this week? Haven't played in over a week because my internet has been super choppy as of late.

10 throws, 10 CA Finishes, Play Training, and an esoteric one on Kanzuki Estate. You need to do a special move when the three ninjas slide across a hanging wire simultaneously and they only seem to pop up after combos. Best bet is to do lots of special moves in round 3 as they seem to pop up more often in that round.

Aenima

What are the new challenges/missions for this week? Haven't played in over a week because my internet has been super choppy as of late.

Do 10 throws - 100FM
Play training mode - 500FM
Do 10 Critical Art KOs - 1000FM
Something something about ninjas (Kanzuki estate) - 5000FM

I mean we had you stanning for SFV since they released its first gameplay footage so it's not that surprising.

Liking something from day 1 and continuing to like it after day 1 is like, the exact OPPOSITE of what I was talking about.

I like what I like now AND later. Not just later.

I appreciate good stuff WHILE it's here, not just through the goggles of nostalgia.

Scotia

Banned
the general consensus amongst local and visiting players that I spoke to was that SFV is not fun, and they don't enjoy playing it.

And? That's their opinion as well as yours. That doesn't negate the fact that people like this game. Saying a game is garbage in it's OT and then having to defend yourself from people in said OT who love the game is asinine. I really don't get what the point of your posts are.

After my real bad meltdown the other day, I decided to try again with very basic goals in mind. I picked up Necalli, tried playing a bunch, and came to the conclusion that there might be something wrong with my TV. It would explain why I never can block cross-ups even through I'm pressing the correct direction and why I can't land tighter links.

It's a much older TV and there have been some major issues with it recently. Very susceptible to burn in (and quickly now) and some issues with blacks. I think it's dying and it could be impacting my game.
Your TV could certainly be a big handicap, yes. I also have an older screen and the difference in latency when compared to my monitor (which isn't even a high-end ASUS model) is immediately discernible. This drawback is made even worse by the fact you're playing Dhalsim, the type of character where input delay at a crucial moment regardless of health advantage could easily turn the table around or worse, get you killed. Large reason why I switched over to PC for fighting games.

Play something else then? This is a hobby. Nobody holds a gun to your head to play V man. There are tons of games. Go have fun with something else. Life is short. Tell your local scene too.

I don't go into the ot threads of games I don't enjoy playing and post about it. Its really weird, hehe.

Looking back, SF4 was fun for what it was, but Ultra is when I finally started getting enjoyment out of it. I don't agree with FADC stuff and other decisions, but it's not the worst fighting game I've ever played.

Sorry, but since you are the same dude who claimed that nobody complained about SF3 and SF4, I take nothing you say seriously.

Why did you go to their concert just to boo them?

Do you really think he went? Do you really think he asked a ton of people at a large event and they gave him such a huge sample size that he could draw a conclusion from? Do you really think this dude, who, despite being told to spend his energy promoting games he likes, returns to spout more kappa-level SFV hate?

Since Monday I've spent a bit of time with Birdie in casuals, with mixed results. He's a lot of fun, but I don't really know what I'm doing. He has quite a lot of tools and I'm not sure when to use what. It's a bit baffling.

I'm getting by with pokes and a few combos but I need some advise. So before I go and watch some xyzzy matches, can anyone give me any pointers. I'd appreciate anything.

What happened to "If you go to your local fighting game gatherings, you'll notice a general consensus. People don't enjoy SF5." ?

Your TV could certainly be a big handicap, yes. I also have an older screen and the difference in latency when compared to my monitor (which isn't even a high-end ASUS model) is immediately discernible. This drawback is made even worse by the fact you're playing Dhalsim, the type of character where input delay at a crucial moment regardless of health advantage could easily turn the table around or worse, get you killed. Large reason why I switched over to PC for fighting games.
I'm thinking this is exactly the case. I played quite a bit tonight as if I was a quarter of a second behind. Suddenly, I have a 6 game win streak. It also helped that I was playing more reactive than proactive. It didn't help against guile or nash, but it was working alright otherwise.

Time to put a new TV on the priority list.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hey whoever is ChefJoe, good games! Sorry I didn't play again after my Karin loss, but wife was distracting me and so now had to get off anyway.

Bruh I live in Toronto and I've never played SFV with anyone who doesn't think it's a great game, but that doesn't mean I can argue that SFV is universally adored just because that's my experience.

Anecdotal evidence is flimsy at best and a propogator of confirmation bias always, so if you wanna have a critical discussion please refrain from saying stuff that can be easily countered with equally-unprovable evidence. 'Sides, it's not like there's any shortage of legitimately critqueable aspects of SFV; you just gotta try a little harder :p

joe2187

Banned
Hey whoever is ChefJoe, good games! Sorry I didn't play again after my Karin loss, but wife was distracting me and so now had to get off anyway.

Yeah, same here I had some stuff to deal with in a hurry so i quit the lobby, didnt know you did the same.

Good games man. I have no play experience with urien so play against you was brutal, but I learned alot.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yeah, same here I had some stuff to deal with in a hurry so i quit the lobby, didnt know you did the same.

Good games man. I have no play experience with urien so play against you was brutal, but I learned alot.

Anytime, man. Add me if you want: DashGigas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom