• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK9039

Funny thing is a lot the characters with very effective AA jabs still have decent AA tools anyway. I'm glad it exists right now because it forced me to change my play style, I used to constantly fish for cross-ups.

I used to only play evil characters. Not outta some edgy shit but because their playstyles were the most fun. SFV ruined that for me until Urien dropped.

FluxWaveZ

I used to only play evil characters. Not outta some edgy shit but because their playstyles were the most fun. SFV ruined that for me until Urien dropped.

I used to only play antagonists in competitive games, but outta some edgy shit. Bad guys are just cooler; I was looking to do the same in SFV. But then Mika said "I'll totally make this look cool" in the beta, Nadeshiko said "I'll kick your ass!" in the intro scene, and I knew I had my main.

I guess how opinions shifted on her since then, I can still think of me as maining a "heel" character in the eyes of the playerbase.

Never cared about playstyles when picking a main, it's always been aesthetics first for me.

What are you talking about? You got matched up because of your rank. That's exactly how it worked in SF4. LP is what PP was in SF4. The character level is what BP was and the overall level is meaningless.

In SF4 i actually do feel like im being ranked around my skill level. Meanwhile I see players like GameWizard with overall low level making me think he's shady. And with not much surprise he RQ keeping the points while I gain nothing.

JayEH

In SF4 i actually do feel like im being ranked around my skill level. Meanwhile I see players like GameWizard with overall low level making me think he's shady. And with not much surprise he RQ keeping the points while I gain nothing.

If he's a ken player it's easy to rise the ranks not being good. Kappa

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I agree that the RQ system still sucks then. Skillwise, the match-making is fine.

I used to only play antagonists in competitive games, but outta some edgy shit. Bad guys are just cooler; I was looking to do the same in SFV. But then Mika said "I'll totally make this look cool" in the beta, Nadeshiko said "I'll kick your ass!" in the intro scene, and I knew I had my main.

I guess how opinions shifted on her since then, I can still think of me as maining a "heel" character in the eyes of the playerbase.

Never cared about playstyles when picking a main, it's always been aesthetics first for me.

I'm usually able to play most characters besides grapplers and counter characters so I'll fit into whatever. I suppose rushdown type characters are more my speed though.

Exr

I've always found it weird that I don't really play many female characters in Street Fighter. Sakura is the main one with Makoto thrown in occasionally.

In other games, my first instinct almost always leads me towards female characters.

Garou: MOTW - B.Jenet
KoF - King, Vanessa (DA GODDESS), Luong
Killer Instinct - Orchid
Guilty Gear Xrd- I-No
Injustice - Killer Frost
MKX - Cassie Cage, Jacqui Briggs
MK9 - Sindel

Yet in Street Fighter, I mainly played E.Honda and now FANG. In SFxT, I played mainly King and Marduk. In Tekken, I mainly like Bob though Josie does look fun.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is that in other games, I can change my playstyle to fit the character but in SF, I have to pick a character that matches my preferred playstyle. Just something random that popped into my head.
Used to think you were cool being the only Fang player here....now I see you play Bob

Nah you had the same issue in SFIV with high PP players using different characters who had low BP. And people RQ in SFIV too. Maybe more since you could play against all skill levels and there was the factor that it was a significantly lower risk for low PP players to take on high PP players.

myco666

Why do you think player is shady if they have low player level/character level? That only means they haven't grinded much Casual/Ranked or done much singleplayer content. They could have played ton of Battle Lounges and Offline matches to gain enough skill to get higher ranks.

Why do you think player is shady if they have low player level/character level? That only means they haven't grinded much Casual/Ranked or done much singleplayer content. They could have played ton of Battle Lounges and Offline matches to gain enough skill to get higher ranks.

Are you saying ZG didn't even consider that? That he might just be salty af?

HardRojo

Yes, but not consistently. Even in the video you can see that it's different lk's hitting.

Yeah, it's the reason I prefer to block or V-Reversal stuff like EX tatsu and EX Cannon Strike, chances are light buttons will be nerfed too so I don't want to get used to relying on them as AA options too much.

Will AA jabs be nerfed? Ryu has an annoying one, I think Juri is another.

I hope most if not all of them go even though I've abused Ryu's quite a bit myself. Just give everybody really a good medium or heavy anti air button and problem solved. More damage for the anti air, removes the cross under situation, and makes anti air just a bit more challenging which I think should be the case compared to how easy mode they are right now.

Onemic

I usually pick based on playstyle rather than aesthetic. The only game I picked based on aesthetic was in P4A and that was because it was my first real fighter that I tried to learn and put time in. After playing Mitsuru I grew to like the poke heavy style, so I now usually pick characters that have a strong offensive oriented footsie/neutral game. I like playing characters that shut down or can punish many options that a character can usually get away with against characters that dont have as much range.

Elena <3
Fei Long <3
Adon <3

mitchlol

All this AA jab nerf talk has me curious... I play gief and as it stands my only options for AA are jab or lariat. Lariat is slow and doesn't work for all jump ins so jab usually covers the rest. If I lose my AA jab as Gief I'm going to be even more free on well time jump ins... Hell more often than not the lariat sound will trigger with no animation and thus no hitbox. Are you all proposing that every character will lose AA jab or just the characters that already have amazing DPs?

FluxWaveZ

All this AA jab nerf talk has me curious... I play gief and as it stands my only options for AA are jab or lariat. Lariat is slow and doesn't work for all jump ins so jab usually covers the rest. If I lose my AA jab as Gief I'm going to be even more free on well time jump ins... Hell more often than not the lariat sound will trigger with no animation and thus no hitbox. Are you all proposing that every character will lose AA jab or just the characters that already have amazing DPs?

Zangief has his cr.HP, his air command grab and st.HK.

mitchlol

Zangief has his cr.HP, his air command grab and st.HK.

Air SPD + st.HK won't work in situations where lariat can't even come out.... as for cr.HP it's fine for jump ins at a certain distance but the second they get closer than just outside light spd range it does nothing.

the AA nerfs can't be every character, Gief is already low tier trash can't take away his best weapon..

FluxWaveZ

Air SPD + st.HK won't work in situations where lariat can't even come out.... as for cr.HP it's fine for jump ins at a certain distance but the second they get closer than just outside light spd range it does nothing.

Unless you play a character with a DP or Chun-Li, AAs are typically situational like that (excluding AA jabs) and there aren't many characters who have one for every situation. Balrog probably has it worse than Zangief in the AA department, and he doesn't even have a (good) AA jab.

Though, I'm not against Zangief still having an AA jab.

ZenTzen

Nerfing AA jabs is fine but they need to make other moves into more reliable AAs, only a certain number of characters have reliable AAs that arent jab

mitchlol

Unless you play a character with a DP or Chun-Li, AAs are typically situational like that (excluding AA jabs) and there aren't many characters who have one for every situation. Balrog probably has it worse than Zangief in the AA department, and he doesn't even have a (good) AA jab.

Though, I'm not against Zangief still having an AA jab.

Agreed poor rog :/
I thought the mass consensus was that no one should have an AA jab but taking from certain characters makes more sense. Necalli/Ryu both have great DPs. AA jab is redundant when you can cross-cut a DP when someone trys to cross you up. It's just lazy play at that point for them to have and use AA jab.

SFEX showed me that Guard Crushes/Breaks are a terrible idea.

Just a theory video but this guy is speculating that it might be Goutetsu, not Akuma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GluF5Li0Qkw

Nope.

Goutetsu died flat out. While he was able to tap into the SnH on command, he didn't shift himself either way. In fact, IIRC, Akuma fights him twice - once (and wins but didn't get a chance to kill him) and the second time just flat out kills him with the SnH.

The voice is Akuma, The style is Akuma. The CFN stuff is mostly What-If's in regards to dead characters. Kanji appearing on the back is an Akuma thing. If our expectations are to be surpassed, it won't be some character that got like five seconds of depth added to his character.

Side note, Bison came looking for more info about the SnH after Goutetsu's death, and only a young Gouken was there. He wouldn't give Dictator shit, so Bison beat the hell out of him (the original story was that Bison killed him, but they retconned it for Akuma's appearance).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain to me why all my meaty setups that work with a 5 frame attack don't work with throws? How many active frames does a throw have? Are they basically over and I'm already in recovery? That's what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom