• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

It kills me how much I let my opponent hop around like a rabbit and whiff normals. Especially Guile, since the constant mashing normals at neutral tricks me into thinking he doesn't have charge. -_-

EDIT: This feels like one of the most unwinnable matchups I've ever played.

EDIT: And just as I say that I start winning. Lol

It kills me how much I let my opponent hop around like a rabbit and whiff normals. Especially Guile, since the constant mashing normals at neutral tricks me into thinking he doesn't have charge. -_-

EDIT: This feels like one of the most unwinnable matchups I've ever played.

EDIT: And just as I say that I start winning. Lol

That set just now was intense, man.

Producer

Can someone explain to me why all my meaty setups that work with a 5 frame attack don't work with throws? How many active frames does a throw have? Are they basically over and I'm already in recovery? That's what it looks like.

On wakeup you/your opponent is throw invincible for the first 2 frames. That could be it if i'm understanding your question correctly.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
On wakeup you/your opponent is throw invincible for the first 2 frames. That could be it if i'm understanding your question correctly.
Oh wow, I think I've actually heard that before and forgot. That's probably it, thanks.

Yup, GGs. Good stuff in that last set, but I kinda fell apart at the end as usual. Feels like Alex has to be playing at 200% in that matchup at all times to even stand a chance.

Ggs. One opportunity for damage you have that I noticed you're not going for, is after a blocked f.HP, you can mix in your command throw. You were going for the blockstring afterwards each time, so I stopped V-Reversing it as much which let me stock for more V-Trigger combos near the end.

Edzi

Ggs. One opportunity for damage you have that I noticed you're not going for, is after a blocked f.HP, you can mix in your command throw. You were going for the blockstring afterwards each time, so I stopped V-Reversing it as much which let me stock for more V-Trigger combos near the end.

Yeah, you neutral jumped a lot so I usually went for the safer option. I've gotta mix it up more though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I've had four or five ragequits (in casuals!) in the last two days after months of having none.

Anyone noticing an increase? I wonder if I'm laggy and making people mad.

Gief, Alex and Sim should just keep their jab AA's. Throw them a bone
Sim I get, but Alex had a great AA in 3S with f.HP and his air knee strike is an absolute shoe-in for an invul wake up AA buff. Even his cr.HP should have a better AA hitbox imo. Just give Gief a better AA lariat, too.

It'd be nice if Alex's meterless knee smashes were useful. They should be his go-to AA and the hard version at least should also be comboable outside of the corner off of c.HP. I like c.HP as a deep anti-air that's highly rewarding on hit, but it should probably have slightly faster startup. Maybe 10f.

I've had four or five ragequits (in casuals!) in the last two days after months of having none.

Anyone noticing an increase? I wonder if I'm laggy and making people mad.

Nah I've been experiencing a lot more lately as well. Had one today that put me on full tilt in which a ultra bronze necalli took 131 points from me and then RQed on the runback. Salty is an understatement.

mbpm1

Necalli's so simple, but his gameplan can still be adjusted to fulfill numerous roles while remaining simple.

I see his real strength now.

I also understand the importance of aa jabs more now. having to devote zero effort to anti-airing means my ground game can be 100% whereas even someone with a dp has to put in more thought to them or get jumped.

K-Brad just made it into the Capcom Cup. His first match will be against Daigo.
That is gonna be one interesting match. K-Brad has been playing phenomenally recently but Daigo's defense....

So I didn't know that Aegis Reflector could completely reflect Rashid's V-Trigger! Took me by surprise when I did it.
If it has a fireball property and isn't a stomp, it can be reflected including Dhalsim and Ryu's CA.
Used to think you were cool being the only Fang player here....now I see you play Bob
SPEED. AND. WEIGHT.

Also not the only FANG player on GAF. Abstract_Alien plays too.

Neoxon

Now I fear that K-Brad is gonna get bodied. He's been playing amazing as of recently, but prep-time Daigo is no joke.

Does Alex steer his EX stomp and headbutt in 3 directions?

3 distances, yes.

Cool, seems like there's dead zones.

Actually, his EX stomp is not just 3 distances.

It's FULLY CONTROLLABLE depending on how long you hold left or right.

Go into training mode grid, take note of the ground markings, and fool around with it. You can get all sorts of slight distance differences if you hold left/right/release just right. You can even tap left/right certain number of times to get consistent distances.

Same with his regular and EX headbutts.

He's basically driving a car, trying to crash into his opponent...which is a pain when the opponent is moving around...

His regular stomps are set distances, though.

If anyone is sitting on the fence about buying Necalli's CPT costume, pull that trigger.

Everything about this costume just works. It's got enough "badass" appeal for the straights, but it's also sexy as all get out. As much as I like Necalli's default design, and I do really like it a lot, this easily could of been his trademark look. I've said before that I think Necalli currently has the best selection of alternate costumes in the game as a whole, but this is the top. A+++

I usually wouldn't gush this much about an absurdly priced DLC costume, but after this outfit is delisted in a few days, if it doesn't come back, I think some people are gonna be kicking themselves if they didn't pick it up. If you're going to fall prey to one instance of outrageous video game related capitalism this year, this is the one.

Village

daigo is such a wild card though he could be ass or unstoppable so I wouldn't say it's hopeless for k brad.

what do you need help with?
I dont feel like im using him effectively i guess
Any tips on things i should definitely be doing or trying to do?
Im throwing my head against the "training and random online matches wall" atm

Grifter

Anyone playing? I'm EC.

Actually, his EX stomp is not just 3 distances.

It's FULLY CONTROLLABLE depending on how long you hold left or right.

Go into training mode grid, take note of the ground markings, and fool around with it. You can get all sorts of slight distance differences if you hold left/right/release just right. You can even tap left/right certain number of times to get consistent distances.

Same with his regular and EX headbutts.

He's basically driving a car, trying to crash into his opponent...which is a pain when the opponent is moving around...

His regular stomps are set distances, though.

Good info! I was wondering about that, and the learning curve of using those effectively. They seem slow enough that long term, you wouldn't want to use them outside of calling out specific moves.

mbpm1

Anyone playing? I'm EC.

Good info! I was wondering about that, and the learning curve of using those effectively. They seem slow enough that long term, you wouldn't want to use them outside of calling out specific moves.

I could play a bit.

CFN: Giefstew

FluxWaveZ

GGs, GuileBootCamp. There's something fundamental I'm missing with Guile. Would you know what that is? I feel like I have all the right fundamentals down, but in so many matches against other players, I tend to fall apart quickly when things get close.

You guys still playing? Im up for games. cfn 765production

Ah, sorry about that, I turned off my PC once the set started.

GGs, Flux. The Guile mirror takes years off the lives of everyone involved. I need to get some more practice against your Balrog and break that matchup down.

I don't feel like anything is missing with your Guile, fundamentally, but maybe jump in a bit less because he seems the most effective when you commit to a hard zoning game with him and occasionally dash in for the throw mixup.

Also, one thing I was getting you with a lot was the instant flash kicks after Sonic Cross. It's a really good thing to work into your zoning game if you haven't, because there's so much leniency on the Sonic Cross input that you can be charging a Flash Kick before the Sonic Blade animation is over.

FANG is not fun to fight against as Urien.

Fuck off with those limbs brah I'm the only one with long shit that should matter.

Once fought a Urien who decided to get baller and throw his Aegis-Reflector when he was full screen, maybe hoping to reflect my upballs. Did not pan out.

wC56TPP.png

FluxWaveZ

I don't feel like anything is missing with your Guile, fundamentally, but maybe jump in a bit less because he seems the most effective when you commit to a hard zoning game with him and occasionally dash in for the throw mixup.

I see, so I should jump in less. Alright, thanks.

I see, so I should jump in less. Alright, thanks.

Np. I added one other little thing to that post too that not a lot of players seem aware of that makes Guile's defense even more terrifying (reposting for new page):

Also, one thing I was getting you with a lot was the instant flash kicks after Sonic Cross. It's a really good thing to work into your zoning game if you haven't, because there's so much leniency on the Sonic Cross input that you can be charging a Flash Kick before the Sonic Blade animation is over.

FluxWaveZ

Np. I added one other little thing to that post too that not a lot of players seem aware of that makes Guile's defense even more terrifying. :)

Ha, yeah, that was kind of messing me up and I kept telling myself to stop doing it. And then I fell for it again. It's confusing because I keep thinking of it like a normal sonic boom where, if I jump in right as it leaves Guile's hands, he won't have enough time to somersault. But the Sonic Cross is different. Maybe I haven't been doing that enough.

Ha, yeah, that was kind of messing me up and I kept telling myself to stop doing it. And then I fell for it again. It's confusing because I keep thinking of it like a normal sonic boom where, if I jump in right as it leaves Guile's hands, he won't have enough time to somersault. But the Sonic Cross is different. Maybe I haven't been doing that enough.

Yeah. Just putting out the Blade then going into either the Cross or a Flash Kick is enough of a mixup, but then if your jump timing is even slightly off, Guile can hit you with a Flash Kick anyway after a Cross. The window where you can actually get a jump in on him is very very small if the charge is buffered right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom