• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

Oh, definitely. But you can see how Guiles have suddenly leared V-Skill setups, which normals to use and how and when to use V-Trigger and V-Reversal.
Whenever I ran into Guiles they did tend to be pretty good so I guess I got lucky.

I need to work on those Du charge timings. That shit is beast as fuck.

I finally got around to watching replays last night and goddamn. I didn't even realize he had charge half the time. Really shows what characters are capable of when people stick to them to flesh out tech and are in the right hands.

Wish most of the community had this mindset instead of instantly declaring all new character trash and sticking with the most fleshed out characters.

number47

I finally got around to watching replays last night and goddamn. I didn't even realize he had charge half the time. Really shows what characters are capable of when people stick to them to flesh out tech and are in the right hands.

Wish most of the community had this mindset instead of instantly declaring all new character trash and sticking with the most fleshed out characters.
I miss "save it for majors".

Skilletor

There was more than once that tokido jumped a boom and got flashkicked, and I thought how the hell?

Edzi

2 days for $60 seems like a really good deal so I might just end up biting the bullet. How full was it?

I agree with this as well.

Maybe tone down his mp by a little bit too and he will be perfectly balanced. I hope they take this approach with their balance and bring characters up to Ryu instead of the nerf route but that may prove more difficult in reality. Don't think I've seen a company successfully take this approach.

Pretty full, but not so full that it was hard to get around. Definitely worth the price of admission, though it'll be my first time driving down to so cal by myself so that should be interesting.

Spman2099

I am not super excited about Akuma. However, I am happy that all his fans will be able to play him again.

A part of me was hoping that it was going to ACTUALLY be Shin-Dan. They could do a lot of funny things with him.

However, knowing now that the kanji is the same that Shin-Akuma (also, the teaser trailer puts that all to rest)...

mbpm1

What's that?

Input leniency means he can go from back to forward to down forward and then press the button like a fraction of a second later and the boom comes out.

He gets extra charge time and can basically flash kick people jumping booms almost immediately.

And considering in this game flash charge time is like 30 frames or something ridiculous that means a lot.

Skab

I fully expect them to hit Chun with the same thing they did Cammy in SF4; increased minimum height on her air legs.

What's that?

As far as I know, Guile players get their charge, then press forward but before pressing a punch button they go back to df and then let the boom rip that way they build charge as the boom is going out. Perhaps I'm mistaking it for something else but I remember people discovering this back when he was first released.

Edit- Beaten as always. But yeah, pretty much all characters can do and benefit from this if used correctly. Gief can buffer an SPD/super, walk slightly forward after something that's plus on block and then grab once blockstun has diminished.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Wish I wasn't so bored of this game already. Maybe I'll learn how to play 3S or something.

Ranked is dumb. It's just a grind. I don't care if I lose the way I would care in SF4. I play ranked in this game when I want to distract my brain with some mindless task.

SSF5 needs to add some dumb shit. But not too dumb. I think there's something to the philosophy that led to them making Yun so OP in SF4AE, except in that case they might've ratcheted up the OPness maybe a bit too much. There's something about creating order from chaos in fighting games and SF5 is too constrained and deliberate.

I'm sure this is stuff that has been discussed and discussed already, but I don't keep up with these threads like I used to.

Neoxon

Wish I wasn't so bored of this game already. Maybe I'll learn how to play 3S or something.

Ranked is dumb. It's just a grind. I don't care if I lose the way I would care in SF4. I play ranked in this game when I want to distract my brain with some mindless task.

SSF5 needs to add some dumb shit. But not too dumb. I think there's something to the philosophy that led to them making Yun so OP in SF4AE, except in that case they might've ratcheted up the OPness maybe a bit too much. There's something about creating order from chaos in fighting games and SF5 is too constrained and deliberate.

I'm sure this is stuff that has been discussed and discussed already, but I don't keep up with these threads like I used to.
So are we referring to Season 2 as SSFV, now?

But yeah, I'll pass. I'll take a mostly balanced game over OP chaos any day.

Skilletor

Nah, they should keep doing what they're doing. Maybe you just don't like sf5 and that's okay.

LakeEarth

Releasing charge moves after returning the pad/stick back to the charge position has been a thing in many Street Fighters. If you play charge characters, you have to get that into your muscle memory.

For a sonic boom, it should be charge back, then go to forward and immediately back + punch.

FluxWaveZ

Finish sonic boom motion at d/f to start a down charge immediately.

Input leniency means he can go from back to forward to down forward and then press the button like a fraction of a second later and the boom comes out.

He gets extra charge time and can basically flash kick people jumping booms almost immediately.

And considering in this game flash charge time is like 30 frames or something ridiculous that means a lot.

Oh duh, thanks. I actually knew what that meant this time, but for some reason, I thought it wasn't possible because of his crab walk and when I tried it a couple of times 2 days ago, it didn't come out. Just tried it twice and saw how my motions were registering and I did it just fine.

Edit- Beaten as always. But yeah, pretty much all characters can do and benefit from this if used correctly. Gief can buffer an SPD/super, walk slightly forward after something that's plus on block and then grab once blockstun has diminished.

I think I saw a James Chen video of him showing this off a while back with Zangief. Don't think I've ever seen it done in a real match, though.

Onemic

pls no

Pretty full, but not so full that it was hard to get around. Definitely worth the price of admission, though it'll be my first time driving down to so cal by myself so that should be interesting.

Lots of traffic. Especially in that area since Disneyland is literally right across the street. Gotta love so cal.

There was more than once that tokido jumped a boom and got flashkicked, and I thought how the hell?

Same here. I mean I am pretty good about charging right after booms but he must have that timing down to the exact frame.

Dahbomb

Oh we talking about nerfs/buffs? Here are my random thoughts:

Chun Li: They gotta nerf the air legs. I think -2 on block and/or higher height to use it is fine. I would also like to see more recovery on the st HP because it's a bit too difficult to prevent her from spamming it. I think st.LK made a worse anti air and her HK anti air be made better is fine as a trade off.

Ryu: J.LK and st.LP need the nerf. I also think general damage on Ryu is a bit on the high side, needs shaving off. In a close match, Ryu always edges out due to damage and HP difference.

Ken: Air Tatsumaki is non sense. 3 frame wake up Tatsumaki is non sense. His damage overall is non sense, need to be shaved like Ryu. It feels like Ryu/Ken were made when they wanted the game to have insane damage but then scaled back and forgot about Ryu/Ken. I think for a trade off his midrange game can be improved in some way.

Nash: I don't have a big problem with Nash to be honest. Just some weird ones like Moonslaught attacks having near instant recovery and hard to punish even when they go over you. Oh yeah, that ground dash is bull shit, at least tweak the animation.

Necalli: V trigger is non sense, should not be a permanent buff. His jumping attacks have kinda non sense hit boxes, need to be adjusted. St. Jab is kinda BS too for a character that has a reversal dragon punch.

Guile: I want to be able to combo from upside down kick always, not just counter hit. CH I want to be able to cr.MP off of it. Why? Because buffs for AMERICA that's why. Also give taunt that removes/puts back on shades. Yeah I am biased when it comes to Guile, deal with it.

Cammy: St.LK should probably have slightly more push back, the move in general is really good for a lot of things. The character is obviously good but not really obnoxiously good in any way, she doesn't have broken jump ins, damage, mix ups, V trigger, st. Jab, normals. Just good all around tools with low HP. Maybe I am biased because I play here.

Balrog: EX Upper needs faster armor start up or should just be invincible reversal with CH on recovery. Let Balrog get out of pressure for 1 bar man.

Bison: Better walk speed and better anti airs. Also needs a real escape for 1 bar.

Mika: Just nerf that god damn clap. Probably needs nerf on the corner carry and damage too. She can get better midrange options to compensate. I just know that getting clapped, put into a corner and getting vortexed is not fun and interactive game play.

Birdie: Nerf anti airs, walk speed, damage, normals, chains, specials, v trigger, food tosses.. just make him the worst joke character in the game so I never have to see him played. 100% biased/10 and IDGAF.

Zangief: I don't know how they should buff him specifically. If he doesn't get Green Hand then they need to improve Lariat at the minimum.

All other characters I don't have enough experience on or don't care too much on how they get altered.

All around changes that I want to see are the following:

*Improve the anti air game. The game has a lot of terrible anti airs combined with some crazy good jump in moves.

*Improve some of the terrible V skills in the game. Stuff like Vega V skill comes to mind.

*I want to see alternate Supers and V triggers.

*I want normals in midange to have better range but extended hit boxes too so counter poking and whiff punishing is better.

*Stun needs to be nerfed a bit.

*Probably not going to happen but they need to nerf dash up throw for some characters.

That's my biased, probably ill informed balance wishlist. Currently the balance of the game is not too bad and very easily fixable. They just don't have to make some terrible choices.

Edzi

Lots of traffic. Especially in that area since Disneyland is literally right across the street. Gotta love so cal.

I'm planning on leaving from Hayward around Friday morning and coming back Sunday evening after the event, so hopefully it's not TOO bad.

I've always just kept down held with charge characters, even when throwing out the back>forward charge moves...must be a pad thing.

nah nuckledu was super hype last night. Besides I think more flash is coming with more triggers and supers and probably a small increase to game speed.

I don't get why Capcom doesn't do turbo modes anymore? Would be fun even for casual play

Hell naw, lol.

Sf5 ain't for you probably, and that's cool man.

FluxWaveZ

For a sonic boom, it should be charge back, then go to forward and immediately back + punch.

Yeah, that's to get another Sonic Boom asap, which you pretty much need to do to pull off this combo (Day 5 Guile; can do it right around 75% of the time).

I'll need to start doing the down-forward one more now that I know it works, though. Basic way to get a somersault asap.

Yeah, that's to get another Sonic Boom asap, which you pretty much need to do to pull off this combo (Day 5 Guile; can do it right around 75% of the time).

I'll need to start doing the down-forward one more now that I know it works, though. Basic way to get a somersault asap.

Don't forget that you can turn this into a reset just be dash-in grabbing after one of the boom loops. Considering how much stun the combo builds, it might be worth it to get the stun if you think the opponent is jittery.

FluxWaveZ

Don't forget that you can turn this into a reset just be dash-in grabbing after one of the boom loops. Considering how much stun the combo builds, it might be worth it to get the stun if you think the opponent is jittery.

For sure. Don't think my accuracy is there yet to pull this off in a real match, though. Would go for something more basic.

Pretty sure I've seen a fighting game stage on the wings of a biplane before, but that could be my old man memory.

King of Fighters definitely had a moving train stage.

As did Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Also, Rugal's first stage in og KOF was the inside of an airship, I believe.

Guile: I want to be able to combo from upside down kick always, not just counter hit. CH I want to be able to cr.MP off of it. Why? Because buffs for AMERICA that's why.

I've put so much effort into learning to hit confirm from UDK Counter Hits that this buff almost feels like too much power. I'll take it, though!

At this point, I just want c.MP to be +4 on hit, and df.HK to move Guile forward just a little bit more (so his s.HP CC combo is a little more reliable).

mbpm1

It was hella fun to fight el fuerte

I mean it was hella fun that one time you beat him

Okay it was sorta fun

mooncakes

Some more CFN profile
http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column-131123.html

im guessing this is Dark Sakura?
d_sakura.jpg

Marvel

could never
You know, I'm thinking of seriously trying out Rashid. The last time I used him properly were the beta's and that really wasn't for long at all talking maybe 30 minutes if that.

Not touched him bar two matches online in retail.

Is he good? I must admit... don't see him much at all online so I've not fought him enough to get a view on him.

Spman2099

Mika: Just nerf that god damn clap. Probably needs nerf on the corner carry and damage too. She can get better midrange options to compensate. I just know that getting clapped, put into a corner and getting vortexed is not fun and interactive game play.

I think you are going to get your way. I am really afraid that Mika is going to be very sad and watered down after the next update.

pizzacat

Banned
Alex buffs I want:

>Make EX Air Knee Smash into an invincible reversal with a ground hitbox a la SFIII (not likely, but I can dream)
>Increase Power Bomb's grab range and startup (no idea why it starts up slower than SPD or Rainbow Typhoon considering its range and strength)
>Improve V-Reversal in some way (either fix the hitbox and startup or change it into DDT)
>Make EX Air Stampede track like in SFIII and give non-EX versions their crossup hitbox back

Theorycrafting is fun!
make his cr moves cancellable at least with vtrigger without counterhit

ex stungun should track too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom