• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

An ancient technique passed down for ages.

It seems to have effected certain pro players at least.

It was pretty disappointing to see Tokido drop everything for SFV. I really enjoyed watching him entering for a whole bunch of games at tournaments and often getting into top 8s.

Still hoping he rocks Akuma in T7 when that releases.

An ancient technique passed down for ages.

SF4 was the same way. Pro players, hardcore fans, and casuals alike would claim they were gonna go back to SF3, that SF4 was shit, and only because it was the hot new thing that anyone cared about it. Years of this shit went on and on, and people would claim the end of SF4 was near when whatever game came out.

Same annoying shit different game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well, they have announced a big CFN revamping. I wouldn't expect a lobby improvement before that. They've probably stopped working on what we have now in that regard.

Mizerman

It seems to have effected certain pro players at least.

It was pretty disappointing to see Tokido drop everything for SFV. I really enjoyed watching him entering for a whole bunch of games at tournaments and often getting into top 8s.

Still hoping he rocks Akuma in T7 when that releases.

I doubt that the pros are just gonna SF and nothing else. Just like before, they'll do other games at the side, play SF, certain folks will complain about something else yadda yadda yadda. Rinse and repeat.

SF4 was the same way. Pro players, hardcore fans, and casuals alike would claim they were gonna go back to SF3, that SF4 was shit, and only because it was the hot new thing that anyone cared about it. Years of this shit went on and on, and people would claim the end of SF4 was near when whatever game came out.

Man, when SF4 came out, people were flipping their shit. People still flipping their shit throughout its run.

I remember when SFxT was supposed to be the death sentence

Which I don't see how. Because although it was hyped up, SFxT at the end of the day was just a spinoff. It was never gonna replace SF4 in any way.

Well, they have announced a big CFN revamping. I wouldn't expect a lobby improvement before that. They've probably stopped working on what we have now in that regard.

Judging by the branding, they intend(ed) to use CFN for other games than SFV, so that update could be related to whatever plans they have for MvC:I.

Pompadour

Being active in fighting game forums throughout SF4's run taught to take a lot of the complaining with a grain of salt. Prior to launch the arcade player reactions to the game made me think SF4 was baby's first fighting game, broken, and the inevitable death of the franchise. It also taught me that 90% of the time early impressions of balance are incorrect, a truth that was reinforced with Nash in Season 1. That's why it's ridiculous when people read patch notes and start tearing out their hair based on numbers they haven't even interacted with in game.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
If there's another female dlc character aside from Kolin I wouldn't expect a QoL update any time soon. That's at least 8 titty costumes they gotta put out.

BlitzKeeg

Ucchedavāda;230949938 said:
It's hard to code with one hand.

mj-laughing.gif

Dahbomb

Can't tell you how many times random pro player would claim they are bored of SF4 and wanted a new game.

Here's Tokido for example.

T: ”People in Japan are honestly bored with the game, rather than an update people want a new game. People are just bored with the SF4 system and releasing a new version won't change that. At best it'll be popular for a little while but eventually the same problem will come back around. If they release a new game, it will attract new players also which is another thing a new rebalance wouldn't do."

People were ready to move on from SF4 years before SFV.

Yeah this is nothing new but with each new fighting game, player standards increase for the overall genre. They expect more out of the genre and specifically Capcom. I know we (including myself) single out Lone Dragon as defending Capcom too much but he comes from a frame of reference in which a lot of this stuff would be excused if it was in SF4 back in the day or by other companies. And he would be right in that but times change and expectations change. That's why people are more critical of SFV than SF4 even though in my mind there really isn't this cavernous gap between the two. Within the same time frame, we would be playing the god awful Vanilla SF4 right now and complaining about Sagat's Ultra doing half life damage on Akuma or other non sense. Or we would be talking about unblockables, safe set ups and Honda's Headbutt being too good.

kobu

Yep you still had people saying they were going back to third stirke in 2015 like anyone cared at that point.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well, there some SF4 revival efforts going on right now and I'm interested how that will turn out. I don't expect too much tbh

Well, there some SF4 revival efforts going on right now and I'm interested how that will turn out. I don't expect too much tbh

If the balance patch is trash then I think SF4 will be revived.

SF4's scene was huge, far larger than A2, A3 or 3S ever were.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

No way, people are tired of it. Sure you can throw a tournament once in a while like Canada Cup is doing, but it won't come back from where it is (which is still active)

ElFly

a lot of people really disliked 4 and only played it cause it was the only thing around, so any revival will be p limited

same as 5 maybe? people dislike it but still play? but 5 has the advantage of having a guaranteed spot in tourneys for a couple of years

It was far larger than those games ever where because it brought in a resurgence of fighting games back into the world, along with the era of tech sharing and online play.

At most, you'll see spurts of people playing it at tournaments and that's it. If people hate SFV so much and wanna move onto SF4, they can do so at anytime. But this "well, if the patch is bad" stuff is what people said with 4. People even said that about GGXRD, that they could go back to AC instead.

People will play 4 again, but it's not gonna be like it was before, or anywhere near SFV's numbers.

Another edit: Did my dude just parry a fucking ex tackle?
https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/835120297703432192

a lot of people really disliked 4 and only played it cause it was the only thing around, so any revival will be p limited

same as 5 maybe? but 5 has the advantage of having a guaranteed spot in tourneys for a couple of years

During 4's timeline, you SCV, Tekken 6 and Tag 2, VF5, Marvel, BB series, MK9, and towards the end, KOF, Injustice, DOA. Oh yeah, Japanese players had things like Gundam as well. And that doesn't include Third Strike online and a bunch of other games rereleased for dat money.

During V's timeline, you already have Tekken 7, Marvel, MKX, Injustice 2, KOF, GG, BB, Gundam Versus at the end of the year (and Maxi is still around if you live in Japan), KI3, and a bunch of anime games.

There are a ton of options.

well I would not be surprised if SFxT's performance was the reason Capcom decided to go cheap on SFV

Actually, Capcom's been on a cheap run ever since this gen started. Which is fine and doable, like with Rev 2 being good and RE7 being fun. And that Dragon's Dogma Online game being pretty decent as well. They are broke as fuck and trying to learn how to do development cheap as fuck in response. SFV was when they overestimated how cheap they could be.

Edzi

During 4's timeline, you SCV, Tekken 6 and Tag 2, VF5, Marvel, BB series, MK9, and towards the end, KOF, Injustice, DOA. Oh yeah, Japanese players had things like Gundam as well. And that doesn't include Third Strike online and a bunch of other games rereleased for dat money.

During V's timeline, you already have Tekken 7, Marvel, MKX, Injustice 2, KOF, GG, BB, Gundam Versus at the end of the year (and Maxi is still around if you live in Japan), KI3, and a bunch of anime games.

I don't know why some of you think other fighters are interchangeable with SF. People want to play a Street Fighter game, GG or Injustice (lol) aren't going to scratch that itch for most.

ElFly

Another edit: Did my dude just parry a fucking ex tackle?
https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/835120297703432192

I think the only real option is MvC:I. It was simplified for the masses, and the hardcore will pick it up and whine it is not MvC3 but play anyway

most SF fans will not play Tekken or a NRS game

Actually, Capcom's been on a cheap run ever since this gen started. Which is fine and doable, like with Rev 2 being good and RE7 being fun. And that Dragon's Dogma Online game being pretty decent as well. They are broke as fuck and trying to learn how to do development cheap as fuck in response. SFV was when they overestimated how cheap they could be.

sometimes it works but dunno if Capcom got the right lesson from RE7; they seem to have doubled down on VR but dunno if that was what really drove RE7 over the top. really doubt it really

on the other hand they got some really sweet scanning tech from RE7 and it would be cool to do a SF that is based on scanned high quality costumes. a lot of people complained about SFV that it looked like SF4 just cause it kept the cartoon style

I don't know why some of you think other fighters are interchangeable with SF. People want to play a Street Fighter game, GG or Injustice (lol) aren't going to scratch that itch for most.

Then they can go back to the older ones at any time. What I'm saying is, you don't have to eat a chocolate cone just because you want ice cream. You can try other deserts, or try vanilla or strawberry (SF2, SF3, EX, whatever) for your ice cream craving instead of choking something down and then complaining about it.

But then again, I did so with SF4 so I'm no different : /

I think the only real option is MvC:I. It was simplified for the masses, and the hardcore will pick it up and whine it is not MvC3 but play anyway

most SF fans will not play Tekken or a NRS game

sometimes it works but dunno if Capcom got the right lesson from RE7; they seem to have doubled down on VR but dunno if that was what really drove RE7 over the top. really doubt it really

VR wasn't the reason the game was good, but it definitely helped. Still, even with that said, I doubt Capcom could even have the funds to pursue VR development. That shit is still expensive and has a far lower market. Being an already good, established game helped sell the VR portion. The article I read seemed to imply they want to put that in their pocket for the future if VR blows up.

mbpm1

VR wasn't the reason the game was good, but it definitely helped. Still, even with that said, I doubt Capcom could even have the funds to pursue VR development. That shit is still expensive and has a far lower market. Being an already good, established game helped sell the VR portion. The article I read seemed to imply they want to put that in their pocket for the future if VR blows up.

VR will save SFVI

kobu

Pretty much what I was trying to say before. I want a good street fighter game so the other fighting games I play are irrelevant when we're discussing sfv.

Doubt it. It was getting long in the tooth for alot of people. Tournies here and there like St would be cool. Maybe. ST matches run fast.

If people hate V so much, just play 4. I played some last week (to scratch day DeeJay itch), I found matches. Plenty of jumping and wakeup DPing Oni players, haha.

Actually, it was kinda kinda funny. People were hella jumping and wakeup buttons/DPs. People don't change.

ElFly

Then they can go back to the older ones at any time. What I'm saying is, you don't have to eat a chocolate cone just because you want ice cream. You can try other deserts, or try vanilla or strawberry (SF2, SF3, EX, whatever) for your ice cream craving instead of choking something down and then complaining about it.

But then again, I did so with SF4 so I'm no different : /

http://www.ibtimes.com/capcom-repor...-video-game-company-after-slump-sales-2485750

I go back to SFIV on PC like once a week just to remind myself why i dont won't go back, and still find matches.

Gief requires so much more patient in that game than SFV, its miserable.

I mean, yeah, starting up a VR division wouldn't mean they are necessarily going to stop making other games or stop supporting fighters.
Having learned of its financial standing, the company is not only planning to launch an “aggressive” sales campaign for its major titles, it is also moving forward with developing more VR content. VG24/7 has learned that Capcom is pretty confident in investing more in VR because of the “successive releases of VR devices that are highly compatible with games.” As part of this transition, Capcom is already undergoing some reorganization with the aim of strengthening its management structure.

But lord in heaven do not let them put a bunch of weird VR modes that nobody will play in their games. God damn I do not want that shit.

Unless it's like DOAX

Moe~

VR support for watching replays / spectating matches in third person would actually be pretty dope, though it obviously wouldn't work with a lot of existing supers, ultras, and critical arts in IV or V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom