• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

vg260

I haven't really been following people's reactions to the balance patch in detail, but it seems to have introduced a lot more issues than it solved, and it seems a lot of people are unhappy with the result. I have seen some complaints about the CC system in general too.

My understanding is that there is supposed to be another balancing before the CPT starts. Do people think Capcom can realistically tweak it that most people complaining would be satisfied? With any steps back the patch has taken(?), is it even possible to address most of the issues people have? My impression is that it's going to take a lot of trial and error tweaking before it lands in a spot that most people like, which may actually be an impossible task.

17015938_1203161929800729_7438298650963392675_o.jpg

Finally got this with this week's missions after taking a break for a while to play Nioh. Nice way to kick off coming back. :D

HardRojo

So why can Zangief link knee into super? That's simply stupid, trying to jump away from his command grabs shouldn't give him such an option, he got plenty already after the knee, being able to combo into super is just stupid.

I've realized I hate command grabs, the worst kind of mechanic I can fight against, as someone who tries to be patient and play a neutral game.

I haven't really been following people's reactions to the balance patch in detail, but it seems to have introduced a lot more issues than it solved, and it seems a lot of people are unhappy with the result. I have seen some complaints about the CC system in general too.

My understanding is that there is supposed to be another balancing before the CPT starts. Do people think Capcom can realistically tweak it that most people complaining would be satisfied? With any steps back the patch has taken(?), is it even possible to address most of the issues people have? My impression is that it's going to take a lot of trial and error tweaking before it lands in a spot that most people like, which may actually be an impossible task.

Honestly the only things they need to do are normalize the tiers and buff defensive options. Let the rest rock. Doing that will put it on line with how the game is designed and everything else is gravy. People can't even widely agree on most common problems with SFV so they just need to make their game and improve it from there.

Femto.

Can anyone toss me a few BnB combos for Urien?

Getting tired of not knowing how to play the MU against him so I'll mess around with him for a bit in casual.

Some of those names though. I wonder who was in charge of the selection. I'm not a fan of ISDD, but I seriously wonder why he wasn't chosen. If I was in charge I would take out Gilty, Gootecks, Valle, and LPN. I would put in ISDD, Nemo, John Takeuchi, maybe Chris G/Dr Ray.

HardRojo

Probably not since they count server disconnection as RQ. I think it is still 3 you can do in certain time period.

Just got another rage quit from a Laura player. So wait, people actually get free RQs every day or something like that? Why the fuck doesn't the game punish immediately after the RQ? It's been a year...

kirblar

Some of those names though. I wonder who was in charge of the selection. I'm not a fan of ISDD, but I seriously wonder why he wasn't chosen.
It's a US league so there's an obvious US lean here. The non-US people are big names.

I would have loved to see Mena RD get a shot here.

It's a US league so there's an obvious US lean here. The non-US people are big names.

I would have loved to see Mena RD get a shot here.

I don't mind a US lean. I mind personalities being chosen when they have no chance at showing their personality. Remember, the group stages aren't being broadcast live on TBS. As such, a personality like Gootecks needs to have a chance at not being 1 of the 8 players eliminated in the group stages so they can show off their personality in top 24. I would choose Nemo because he's a good face in that he's a salary man pro gamer, who also has the hypest Urien. His play can bring highlights and excitement to the show. ISDD has a following and clearly is a big personality.

Just got another rage quit from a Laura player. So wait, people actually get free RQs every day or something like that? Why the fuck doesn't the game punish immediately after the RQ? It's been a year...

Probably to prevent people from losing points if they aren't actually ragequitting. So if your router drops out or the servers are butt you get a mulligan. Overwatch kind of does the same thing by giving you a warning if you don't jump back in the game. For SFV I believe you get three chances.

ElFly

So why can Zangief link knee into super? That's simply stupid, trying to jump away from his command grabs shouldn't give him such an option, he got plenty already after the knee, being able to combo into super is just stupid.

I've realized I hate command grabs, the worst kind of mechanic I can fight against, as someone who tries to be patient and play a neutral game.

I guess it is so Gief can dodge crouching attacks and punish with super

Gief _needs_ knee since he doesn't have an overhead and crouchers dodge some of his better moves. But just hitting for the whatever damage knee does alone is not threat enough and thus he needs the link to super (since lariat nor spd nor running bear will combo)

E: not sure lariat won t combo

Probably to prevent people from losing points if they aren't actually ragequitting. So if your router drops out or the servers are butt you get a mulligan. Overwatch kind of does the same thing by giving you a warning if you don't jump back in the game. For SFV I believe you get three chances.

I'm pretty sure it's three RQs before a 24 hour ban, but you still lose points after every RQ.

MCD250

Anybody watching The King of New York?

In fairness his super does have a one frame startup. Theoretically anything can lead into it provided the distance is right and he's not too negative before doing it.

Sayad

I hate these invitational tournaments. Atleast have a qualifier or something. This goes against the spirit of fighting games.

Some of that talk...how big exactly is the PR team for SFV? And what the hell are they doing?
Redbull has two qualifying spots and it's a one day even so it's less of an offender, but for something like ELeague with +200k on the line there really shouldn't be pure invitational spots, top 16 from CapCup are fine, just make the other top 16 the top 16 seeded players when the event start. Some of the players invited can't even win their locals!

Nyoro SF

I hate these invitational tournaments. Atleast have a qualifier or something. This goes against the spirit of fighting games.

Some of that talk...how big exactly is the PR team for SFV? And what the hell are they doing?

I'm pretty sure haunts is the only PR for SFV. He's been lone-wolfing it for a long time if I remember his reddit posts correctly.

MCD250

Man, I legit cannot play this game on a DS4. The dpad is just no good for me.

I think the premium outfit should have been her default tbh. The latex just looks weird (especially the black latex on her chest).

The premium outfit on the other hand is straight quality. Plus it shares a passing ressemblance with her original.

mitchlol

Have been enjoying SFV since launch despite the server problems, I don't know what it is but watching tourneys lately just isn't all that hyped.... I felt the urge to go back and play USF4 and thought it was heaps of fun, then watching youtube highlight videos there was so many more hype moments. Also seemed like there was a lot more character individuality between players of the same character. In SFV it seems like there are only 1-2 optimum combos and they just get repeated over and over. I used to be a fan of low barrier for execution but now I'm thinking that a high level of execution leads to more risk/reward situations and makes combos way more hype.

Have been enjoying SFV since launch despite the server problems, I don't know what it is but watching tourneys lately just isn't all that hyped.... I felt the urge to go back and play USF4 and thought it was heaps of fun, then watching youtube highlight videos there was so many more hype moments. Also seemed like there was a lot more character individuality between players of the same character. In SFV it seems like there are only 1-2 optimum combos and they just get repeated over and over. I used to be a fan of low barrier for execution but now I'm thinking that a high level of execution leads to more risk/reward situations and makes combos way more hype.

Nah low barrier execution aint the problem, its the lack of tools for characters. Theres not as many tools for every character. Every character in USFIV had proximity normals (2 sets of moves), special moves galore, a super, FADC and Red FADC, and possibly two ultras.

More tools = more expression.

And in my own opinion saying everyone plays the same is BS. Infiltration in season 1 created the run-away nash while Bonchan played a more offensive/footsies Nash. Daigo played a different Ryu than tokido, and all the chun-lis had different playstyles. Its like saying Ryan Hart and Bonchan played the same Sagat in SFIV. Oh and 1f links are trash.

Edzi

Nah low barrier execution aint the problem, its the lack of tools for characters. Theres not as many tools for every character. Every character in USFIV had proximity normals (2 sets of moves), special moves galore, a super, FADC and Red FADC, and possibly two ultras.

More tools = more expression.

And in my own opinion saying everyone plays the same is BS. Infiltration in season 1 created the run-away nash while Bonchan played a more offensive/footsies Nash. Daigo played a different Ryu than tokido, and all the chun-lis had different playstyles. Its like saying Ryan Hart and Bonchan played the same Sagat in SFIV. Oh and 1f links are trash.

Yeah, low barrier of entry is a good thing. The part SFV forgot was having a high skill ceiling, which is what leads to more options/tools/expression.

Though with that being said, SFV has an incredibly high barrier of entry if you look beyond input difficulty. I feel like a total beginner could still cause some upsets against decent players in older games like SF4, but in SFV there's no way in hell a beginner is going to be landing a hit against someone who's got their setups down.

That's why Akuma and Urien are fun as fuck to watch. But I feel some characters are fun to watch not because of their toolset but how they deal with not having a super diverse one like Gief. Like ita head butting ARs was way cooler than any combo. Doesn't hold true for all characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom