• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
20_sawada01.jpg

Sa.. Sawada?! PogChamp. Do it capcom!

Yeah I've never bought into the whole idea that everyone plays every character the same. That is in no ways true. It is true that more moves allow for more variability, but in practice fighting games are going to look a bit rote the more you watch. Like even in a game as crazy as Marvel, I've seen the Zero loops and Doom footdives and the Vergil combos over and over and over, I see a match between two players in SF4 with their characters and I know what I can expect to be seeing out of it. The actual hype for me comes from underdog moments or rivalries or clutches, player histories and motivations, meta-layers beyond the game itself. I just happen to have an appreciation and understanding of the medium it takes place in.

I'm sorry, but noobs got throttled in Sf4 as well.

I don't buy everybody playing the same either. I played some Alex mirrors today. There were playing different than me. Similar in spots, different in other. You don't need full 180 shifts form then to play different. Like when I played other DeeJays in ultra.

And for the same combos over and over? Come on now. Elena and e.ryu were doing the same shit over and over. Every game. I see the same combos in marvel all the time. Optimal is optimal. that's the point of it. I mean shit, some combo has to be the optimal combo.

I think the actual combos ar boring actually. What matters is the actions that leads to the hit.

I don't think I've seen a Rashid player play like Takuichi at all. That dude makes the game look like Marvel. Dat bait against ISSD was wew lad.

Edit: Smug doing rog combos isn't the fun part. It's him catching dem hands on reaction on some silly shit.

MCD250

Back in S1, I always felt like you could easily tell the difference between Tokido's Ryu and Daigo's Ryu, both in terms of style and what tools they were more likely to rely on during a match. Tokido was aggressive, implemented a lot of parries and often tried to go for punishes. Daigo was more defensive, made use of fireballs a lot and often relied on supers to clinch his matches.

One thing to keep in mind is that holding down the button consistently is only useful against certain matchups. You can use the bullhorn as a good tool to deal with some fireballs but most of the time you're gonna wanna hold it after a jump in or as a wake-up in v-trigger.

Rarely worth it as an anti air with the exception of akuma's air fireballs.
Maybe I should try him again with this mentality. Sometimes simple changes like that are all it takes to make a character click.
Yes exactly. I wouldn't doubt Capcom doing this for a balance update in the future.
Wouldn't that basically make it like a FADC without the white life penalty? At that point they may as well give successful hits after parry counterhits to boot lol.
I haven't really been following people's reactions to the balance patch in detail, but it seems to have introduced a lot more issues than it solved, and it seems a lot of people are unhappy with the result. I have seen some complaints about the CC system in general too.

My understanding is that there is supposed to be another balancing before the CPT starts. Do people think Capcom can realistically tweak it that most people complaining would be satisfied? With any steps back the patch has taken(?), is it even possible to address most of the issues people have? My impression is that it's going to take a lot of trial and error tweaking before it lands in a spot that most people like, which may actually be an impossible task.
They could solve just about everything, but that would require them to have knowledgeable people on forums and ircs taking all of this stuff into account. The only case like that I know of was with Skullgirls and Mike Z because I experienced it personally. In Capcom's case they're more about trying to make characters play a certain way than they are about trying to make a balanced game, so our input would go only so far even if Ono were making note of everything being discussed in this OT. :/
Nah low barrier execution aint the problem, its the lack of tools for characters. Theres not as many tools for every character. Every character in USFIV had proximity normals (2 sets of moves), special moves galore, a super, FADC and Red FADC, and possibly two ultras.

More tools = more expression.

And in my own opinion saying everyone plays the same is BS. Infiltration in season 1 created the run-away nash while Bonchan played a more offensive/footsies Nash. Daigo played a different Ryu than tokido, and all the chun-lis had different playstyles. Its like saying Ryan Hart and Bonchan played the same Sagat in SFIV. Oh and 1f links are trash.
Back in S1, I always felt like you could easily tell the difference between Tokido's Ryu and Daigo's Ryu, both in terms of style and what tools they were more likely to rely on during a match. Tokido was aggressive, implemented a lot of parries and often tried to go for punishes. Daigo was more defensive, made use of fireballs a lot and often relied on supers to clinch his matches.
Yep, this stems from fewer options for some characters. It's harder to be truly expressive with a character that has worse fireballs, limbs and even a worse throw game. Ryu in S1 could be played in different ways because he had that crazy damage, better hitboxes and even throw loops. Now his toolset is a bit more limited. Other characters are this way by default the lower they are on the tier list imo.

How do you know when you need a new stick? Unwanted inputs?

You get bored with the game.

DISCLAIMER:
I am a pad player (DS4 to be specific)

I gotta be honest, I'm often glad I'm a pad player. Life would be so difficult if I needed to plop down large sums for sticks as well :(

Femto.

You get bored with the game.

DISCLAIMER:
I am a pad player (DS4 to be specific)

I gotta be honest, I'm often glad I'm a pad player. Life would be so difficult if I needed to plop down large sums for sticks as well :(

I used to play on pad years ago, but I can't go back to it anymore.

I own three sticks and I haven't had the need to replace one...yet

I used to play on pad years ago, but I can't go back to it anymore.

I own three sticks and I haven't had the need to replace one...yet

I was a pad player until SFV. If given enough time I could go back but I feel like I'd be sacrificing a lot and it'll have to be a pad with six across. Even as a kid I could never do the shoulder button thing.

I don't need a new stick, but I want one. Uuuugh, whyyy. aaaahhhhh
Don't fall prey to the hedonic treadmill!
Or do. Nothing beats that right out of the box new stick feel eh?

How do you know when you need a new stick? Unwanted inputs?
In my case, wanted inputs not coming out. My current Qanba has an issue with the upward diagonals where they register rapidly between that and the cardinal directions, so it's made jumping a bit difficult, I'll sometimes walk forward a few steps then jump, it's terrible. I could just get the JLF replaced, but the casing is old and junky at this point, so I'm splurging on a whole new one.

I wanted to try something with a Noir layout because I just feel too cramped with the closeness of the stick and buttons in the Vewlix layout.

Sayad

That's why Akuma and Urien are fun as fuck to watch. But I feel some characters are fun to watch not because of their toolset but how they deal with not having a super diverse one like Gief. Like ita head butting ARs was way cooler than any combo. Doesn't hold true for all characters.
Gief is mostly fun to watch because of hard reads, while that's something Gief has to depend on, you still can have that in a lot of different match ups, Du's Mika vs Champ's Sim was a hell of set mainly due to hype reads from both players

Femto.

I was a pad player until SFV. If given enough time I could go back but I feel like I'd be sacrificing a lot and it'll have to be a pad with six across. Even as a kid I could never do the shoulder button thing.
Only game that I felt okay about the shoulder buttons was MK9. NRS games just feel weird to me now in general.

In my case, wanted inputs not coming out. My current Qanba has an issue with the upward diagonals where they register rapidly between that and the cardinal directions, so it's made jumping a bit difficult, I'll sometimes walk forward a few steps then jump, it's terrible. I could just get the JLF replaced, but the casing is old and junky at this point, so I'm splurging on a whole new one.

I wanted to try something with a Noir layout because I just feel too cramped with the closeness of the stick and buttons in the Vewlix layout.
How long did it take for your stick to kick the bucket?

MCD250

Breh, I'm watching a YouTube video of Infiltration playing Juri vs Akuma. Akuma was in V-Trigger and threw some air fireballs, and Infil tried to punish with Juri's super as they were coming down. The two fireballs freaking ate the entire super. It was amazing.

Jesus, that's funny.

Juri may suck but I find her irritating as fuuuuuuuck to fight. She has these weird ass normals with weird ass ranges.
Her DP in that particular instance is just another example of Juri's weirdness. She always stays AA'ing me when I use Karin or Alex, but in special matchups like the one against Bison her reversal might actually get blown up. It's the same thing with her normals, specials and even CA. Depending on the opponent she can feel impossible to deal with or straight up manageable.

Juri is an unusual character to use or fight against in SFV. About the only move she has that works conventionally like it would with other characters is her AA jab. That thing is as solid as S1 Ryu, Necalli or Chun's AA light normals.
Breh, I'm watching a YouTube video of Infiltration playing Juri vs Akuma. Akuma was in V-Trigger and threw some air fireballs, and Infil tried to punish with Juri's super as they were coming down. The two fireballs freaking ate the entire super. It was amazing.
We've even seen Birdie's chain command grab go right through it. The other day when I was fighting Rocwell I even EX headbutted over her CA at mp headbutt range. Unfortunately I accidentally whiffed the back input and didn't kill him, but it blew my mind that I could actually react to it. She is a weird character.

Sayad

Juri is an unusual character to use or fight against in SFV. About the only move she has that works conventionally like it would with other characters is her AA jab. That thing is as solid as S1 Ryu, Necalli or Chun's AA light normals.
Definitely not, it doesn't extend higher than her head's hurt box like some of those did in S1, hell, the hitbox doesn't even extend above her arm's hurtbox!

Going to start having to filter PC players. Half the time I get matched with one I get a guy using turbo, macros, connection manipulation or a combination thereof.

Going to start having to filter PC players. Half the time I get matched with one I get a guy using turbo, macros, connection manipulation or a combination thereof.

Why would you use turbo be in SFV? You are giving up control for something that is only useful when you are stunned. And how do you even know they are using turbo or macros?

Ucchedavāda;231043096 said:
Why would you use turbo be in SFV? You are giving up control for something that is only useful when you are stunned. And how do you even know they are using turbo or macros?

look at replays with input commands on I guess

would prolly look something like this

Replay with inputs on, very obvious.

Replay with inputs on, very obvious.

Right, that's true.
So have you got any replays like this? That was done using a programmable controller on the XBox360.

But in general, I don't see the point of turbo in V.
Chun-Li is the only character who has a mashed-input, and that is optional to boot, which leaves mashing out of stun slightly faster as the only benefit. And giving up fine control of your buttons for that seems like a poor trade.

daakusedo

I just did a strange and dull match.
Felt like I didn't play in forever, so when I got to that ranked match, I'm matched with someone higher, felt a bit dominated, wasn't blocking too much and wasn't placing much hits either. And then I look at the health bars and I always had the advantage. And I got him to derank lol.

I just did a strange and dull match.
Felt like I didn't play in forever, so when I got to that ranked match, I'm matched with someone higher, felt a bit dominated, wasn't blocking too much and wasn't placing much hits either. And then I look at the health bars and I always had the advantage. And I got him to derank lol.

Same thing happened to me with an Akuma who I felt just had my number. I was on the defensive the whole fight and was getting little hits here and there while he was catching me with big combos. I was confused to see that I had a life lead near the end and that gave me the confidence to go ahead and beat him in that round, that game and the next game.

And then you run into somebody with a 65 win-streak, and you gotta wonder: Smurf or cheater?

67 win-streak.

EDIT:
Holy shit, ran into them again and won 2:1! I think I pissed them off, though, cause damn did I receive a mauling after winning the first match. They were a really, really good Necalli, no way they were just gold. :D

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Man, at some point OpenRec just decides that I've seen enough good streaming and goes to shit. Any trick to getting a good experience?

Ucchedavāda;231046094 said:
And then you run into somebody with a 65 win-streak, and you gotta wonder: Smurf or cheater?

67 win-streak.

EDIT:
Holy shit, ran into them again and won 2:1! I think I pissed them off, though, cause damn did I receive a mauling after winning the first match. They were a really, really good Necalli, no way they were just gold. :D

Level down with AFK turbo strays then smurf 65 wins in a row from rookie to gold lol

Level down with AFK turbo strays then smurf 65 wins in a row from rookie to gold lol

This is clearly just a new (smurf) account. The profile in question is only a couple of months old, has a total of 80 matches, and has no losses other than the couple I managed to eek out, and then another one subsequent to that.

Because it actually causes the game to lag. Whenever you see someone who mashes out of dizzy or is farming FM in casual

I did encounter a lag switching M.Bison Damastah101 who is on PC. The game would linger a bit longer in the white screen and you can see the framerate dipping before and after a round and all he would do his Devil Reverse.

Because it actually causes the game to lag. Whenever you see someone who mashes out of dizzy or is farming FM in casual

I haven't seen any such thing, either for people mashing out of dizzy or for the rare FM farmer. The game runs normally on my end in either case. And you are the only one I've seen make this claim, so I doubt that it is a common belief, which means that you are unlikely too meet anyone using turbo for this purpose.

EDIT: I'd suggest that we try it out in a lobby, but I believe that you are based in the US, while I am in the EU, which would not make for an good connection in any case.

Ucchedavāda;231048234 said:
I haven't seen any such thing, either for people mashing out of dizzy or for the rare FM farmer. The game runs normally on my end in either case. And you are the only one I've seen make this claim, so I doubt that it is a common belief, which means that you are unlikely too meet anyone using turbo for this purpose.

EDIT: I'd suggest that we try it out in a lobby, but I believe that you are based in the US, while I am in the EU, which would not make for an good connection in any case.

I'm on PS4, and I can confirm I've seen this happen. Never happens with a stable, 5-bar connection but if the connection is around 4-bars, or more on the rollbacky side, then I've seen matches where the game noticeably starts lagging when they mash to get out of stun.

It's also immediately noticeable against people who use lk turbo in casuals. The game runs well by the start of the match, but by the end of the round it gets incredibly laggy. Noticeable if you end the round with a CA, the sound and the animation became totally out of sync.

Oddly enough, it doesn't lag MY game when I'M the one who tries to mash out of stun so it might be something that only affects the other person but again, I'm not sure.

I'm on PS4, and I can confirm I've seen this happen. Never happens with a stable, 5-bar connection but if the connection is around 4-bars, or more on the rollbacky side, then I've seen matches where the game noticeably starts lagging when they mash to get out of stun.

It's also immediately noticeable against people who use lk turbo in casuals. The game runs well by the start of the match, but by the end of the round it gets incredibly laggy. Noticeable if you end the round with a CA, the sound and the animation became totally out of sync.

Oddly enough, it doesn't lag MY game when I'M the one who tries to mash out of stun so it might be something that only affects the other person but again, I'm not sure.

Interesting, thanks for the details.

If this is indeed the case, then it would make sense than it doesn't affect the person mashing, since their game-clients do not have to do the computationally expensive roll-backs caused by being behind on a bunch of inputs.

myco666

Yup I have had that mashing lag thing happen too. It is really weird that it only seems to happen if the other player is stunned.

All these instances of people on using turbo or just farming or whatever amaze me. I've spent hundreds of hours on SFV and played thousands of matches. I think I ran into like five people just farming or leaving their controller in turbo mode.
Definitely not, it doesn't extend higher than her head's hurt box like some of those did in S1, hell, the hitbox doesn't even extend above her arm's hurtbox!
It still functions better than 90% of the current jabs in the AA department and I've seen it beat crossups (experienced it too).

daakusedo

Same thing happened to me with an Akuma who I felt just had my number. I was on the defensive the whole fight and was getting little hits here and there while he was catching me with big combos. I was confused to see that I had a life lead near the end and that gave me the confidence to go ahead and beat him in that round, that game and the next game.

So, it was an Akuma too, lol
there's something with that guy...

HardRojo

Yeah, that mashing lag is annoying as fuck, I was playing with a friend yesterday and all of a sudden the match would get laggy af, we tried mashing jab and the background went to shit lol. I've seriously given up on this game's online play, I realize now there won't be a single day where I can have a flawless experience, even if I play with local friends or if I accept only 5 bar connections (which apparently turn into 2 bar connections all of a sudden).

Edit: By the way Juri's normals have to be one of the best (not Gief level, but still) in the game, I was testing out pokes against my friend yesterday and they seemed to have good priority and reach.

myco666

I do like the mashing lag a bit though. It gives away if opponent is mashing after knockdown so I can get a 'read' on their invincible reversal since the background starts to stutter like crazy.

Mieu

So does the mashing explain why would a smooth ranked game become laggy in the middle of the match?

I've always had matches with players that have 5 bars and they are 90% smooth.

But there are instances when it just lags in the middle match. And I ry don't get it

Wait, you can farm FM by just losing in ranjed matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom