• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smush Parker and Kwame Brown would bop all of us free in basketball, but it doesn't stop me from saying they suck because we're comparing them to the top players of the game.

Would you bet on those guys getting out of the group stage?

Infl, Tokido, Wong, Du, Fuudo, Xiao, GB, MOV, Daigo, Phenom, Momo, FChamp, Luffy, Eita, Xian, K-Brad, Ortiz, Ryan, Rog, LI Joe, Punk, Wolf, Marn, and Smug are great players that have caught real results (although I actually don't know if Ryan played a lot last year, but he's definitely a good player).

That leaves Broly (who I don't know enough about to call), GILLty, Gootecks, Valle, LPN, and Snake Eyez (who's gotten a lot better since he's got pocket characters).

I'd argue Juilo being good, and Chris T could do some damage too.

So that's, what, 8 people if you do count the partial trinity? And half those bad players aren't all that bad, they just don't have the consistency of the top people save GILLty and Valle.

Edit: It's not about them getting out of top 16 or top 8. It's about the original assessment of half the players being throwaways, which really isn't the case.

It could just be that they wanted 32 players people had heard of. Folks have heard about Valle and Gillty.

Frankly I'd have flown out a few more EU players.

Also frankly I'd have Meik Russ over Gootecks at the mo.

meh, there is no kwame browns on that list.

Maybe some tim hardways, patrick ewings.

it is funny when you think about it and how we judge these things. I kinda agree, we the FGC are short sighted, prisoner of the moment some times, they are trash or top 8.

There are alot of good players out there, even if they are not winning tournaments (and I think there are a bunch of online warriors that are hella good that don't go to tournaments at all).

MCD250

It could just be that they wanted 32 players people had heard of. Folks have heard about Valle and Gillty.

Frankly I'd have flown out a few more EU players.

Also frankly I'd have Meik Russ over Gootecks at the mo.
Meek Roos will probably be MCing or commentating.

Blueblur1

I was thinking about the CPT 2017 rules. So if 4 players auto-qualify via regional finals does that mean that only 26 players from the Global Leaderboard get into Capcom (plus Du and CC LCQ)

Infl, Tokido, Wong, Du, Fuudo, Xiao, GB, MOV, Daigo, Phenom, Momo, FChamp, Luffy, Eita, Xian, K-Brad, Ortiz, Ryan, Rog, LI Joe, Punk, Wolf, Marn, and Smug are great players that have caught real results (although I actually don't know if Ryan played a lot last year, but he's definitely a good player).

That leaves Broly (who I don't know enough about to call), GILLty, Gootecks, Valle, LPN, and Snake Eyez (who's gotten a lot better since he's got pocket characters).

I'd argue Juilo being good, and Chris T could do some damage too.

So that's, what, 8 people if you do count the partial trinity? And half those bad players aren't all that bad, they just don't have the consistency of the top people save GILLty and Valle.

Edit: It's not about them getting out of top 16 or top 8. It's about the original assessment of half the players being throwaways, which really isn't the case.
Nobody is complaining about most of those guys. It's Gilty, Valle, Gootecks, and LPN getting in over some other players that would have provided more entertainment. ISDD, John Takeuchi, Nemo, Chris G, and I would throw in Sandbag over one of the 4 I picked because of how crazy he is. Those are much better picks. Seriously, how does Gilty, and LPN get in over ISDD and Chris G? The latter two have more fans, are pretty big personalities, and are better players. Valle doesn't even compete anymore and says it all the time. I love Valle, but since that's the case why is he getting invited?

meh, there is no kwame browns on that list.

Gootecks isn't a Kwame Brown in the top competitive level? I mean, he's more likable than Kwame, but I'm just judging his play. There is nothing short sighted about that statement.

Nobody is complaining about most of those guys. It's Gilty, Valle, Gootecks, and LPN getting in over some other players that would have provided more entertainment. ISDD, John Takeuchi, Nemo, Chris G, and I would throw in Sandbag over one of the 4 I picked because of how crazy he is. Those are much better picks. Seriously, how does Gilty, and LPN get in over ISDD and Chris G? The latter two have more fans, are pretty big personalities, and are better players.

Literally above you someone said "half the list".

And sure, they could have picked more skilled people than the four you mentioned, and maybe part of it is popularity (considering Valle and Gootecks are more popular than anyone you mentioned on a broader scale), but those fight are still going to be great. More EU reps would have been better, but the notion that half the people on the list are garbage or are only in JUST because of popularity is absurd and what I was responding to.

Valle doesn't even compete anymore and says it all the time. I love Valle, but since that's the case why is he getting invited?

Valle still plays quite frequently though. He doesn't compete in CPT events all the time but he was competing at a few last year, nevermind WNFs.

I agree, Gilty, and LPN get in over ISDD and Chris G is kinda waaaat worthy.

Valle I am ok with. I am down with more EU as well. Gooteks, idk, haha.

Literally above you someone said "half the list".

And sure, they could have picked more skilled people than the four you mentioned, and maybe part of it is popularity (considering Valle and Gootecks are more popular than anyone you mentioned on a broader scale), but those fight are still going to be great. More EU reps would have been better, but the notion that half the people on the list are garbage or are only in JUST because of popularity is absurd and what I was responding to.

Valle still plays quite frequently though. He doesn't compete in CPT events all the time but he was competing at a few last year, nevermind WNFs.
That was obviously an exaggeration from the poster. Half of those players are there due to CPT results. After those 16, you have players like Xian, Ricki, Smug, etc... who were invited and are obviously huge players. Marn, LI Joe, Ryan Hart, and a few others are also great picks. They've shown they can compete at the highest level getting great placings at big tournaments. They're also fan favorites.

People are questioning Gootecks, Gilty, Valle, and LPN. Better players would make the group stages more exciting, and if you're purely there for your personality, you won't get to show it off because the group stages aren't being broadcasted on live television.

The one personality that I would love to have on there and doesn't really compete/get high placings any more is Mike Ross. I think Mike still has it in him to compete with the best and he's a huge personality (more so than Gootecks). Gootecks sadly isn't at that level anymore and he tried throughout season 1, but it didn't work.

I was thinking about the CPT 2017 rules. So if 4 players auto-qualify via regional finals does that mean that only 26 players from the Global Leaderboard get into Capcom (plus Du and CC LCQ)
Yes, provided that the points they receive from that regional final win isn't enough to put them in the top 30.

That was obviously an exaggeration from the poster. Half of those players are there due to CPT results. After those 16, you have players like Xian, Ricki, Smug, etc... who were invited and are obviously huge players. Marn, LI Joe, Ryan Hart, and a few others are also great picks. They've shown they can compete at the highest level getting great placings at big tournaments. They're also fan favorites.

People are questioning Gootecks, Gilty, Valle, and LPN. Better players would make the group stages more exciting, and if you're purely there for your personality, you won't get to show it off because the group stages aren't being broadcasted on live television.

The one personality that I would love to have on there and doesn't really compete/get high placings any more is Mike Ross. I think Mike still has it in him to compete with the best and he's a huge personality (more so than Gootecks). Gootecks sadly isn't at that level anymore and he tried throughout season 1, but it didn't work.

Gootecks and Valle are going to draw in Twitch viewers and people from their scene. As for live TV, it's true you probably won't see them, but the whole thing will be on the internet for people to scour later. Obviously there's a middle ground of Twitch viewers who will catch it, but also people who will catch it on TV and want to watch the rest later. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with those four choices, but I think the majority of them will equate to good matches and good results for the viewership across the board.

And I definitely would have replaced Mike Ross with Gootecks but the former is probably going to be on the mic.

Gootecks isn't a Kwame Brown in the top competitive level? I mean, he's more likable than Kwame, but I'm just judging his play. There is nothing short sighted about that statement.

kwame was shit on the court, minus some serviceable D. I was at lakers games where the home crowd would boo the shit out of him. He was hated He never really had a stretch where he was good. He was alright for a little bit I guess. Mostly terrible.

Gooteks, maybe I could see it. But most of the time, I just feel he is alright. Not kwame level.

But for the purpose of this event, many people should been over him. They are going for the personality/twitch views angle here of course.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Also depends if they could get the players to come - some of the other players may not have had the availability.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The stubby ass reach on some of these normals got me mad salty, breh.

Over the years this has gotten worse and worse. Hitboxes ending at elbows and knees. I don't see why they dont keep the models the same but just increase all hitboxes by like 20%.

ElFly

played some more

got matched against the league of nerfed chars. got a birdie (lost), mika (won), nash (lost) and a weird ass ryu who just refused to do any special move, except shoryuken into super, so he must have known what he was doing? (won)

edged in and out of gold league a couple of times

I expect the Kolin army from tomorrow on to carry me to a more safe place in the ~4500 in gold

MCD250

Here's a hot take: Charlie's sMK is maybe the most useless normal in the game. Nobody uses it for anything. They should make his side knee attack his regular sMK and let him do jumping sobat backwards and forwards like Guile by pressing bMK or fMK.

Over the years this has gotten worse and worse. Hitboxes ending at elbows and knees. I don't see why they dont keep the models the same but just increase all hitboxes by like 20%.
The worst is when you can see the characters straight clipping through each other and nothing happens. It legit throws me off my game at times.

Producer

Here's a hot take: Charlie's sMK is maybe the most useless normal in the game. Nobody uses it for anything. They should make his side knee attack his regular sMK and let him do jumping sobat backwards and forwards like Guile by pressing bMK or fMK.

Lol yeah . I think i seen bonchan use it for meaty timings hah

I just want to ask before making the decision of getting season 1 pass. Does 3-10 default colors included for the dlc characters? I've been looking through google and couldn't find the details other than psn. I plan to get it at amazon, but the description of the 3-10 colors is not mentioned. I just want to make sure before deciding.

You should peep some of the hitboxes in Alpha 3. I've seen some weird stuff.

Woshige pls

ytNsv5u.png

stn

They should give Akuma his backwards air fireball but give it that Geese Howard recovery. Wouldn't be overpowering - especially in a game with no chip kills. Same with his neutral air fireball - just give him a ton of landing frames. I want him to play more like Akuma, at the moment he's more Oni. Fun character but I miss the versatility he had in IV and SFxT.

mbpm1

I was hype until I realized the release was further away then I thought so I settled down until I could play her.

also what luce said

I just bought it, 6 dlc + 3-10 default costumes + premium costumes + airforce stage for $11.99 was worth it. Also, I have around 600k of points that I saved and almost getting to 700k points.

lupinko

I'm pretty close to getting both Kolin's Story costume and Akuma's stage this week. I'll also get her nostalgia costume day one.

She looks interesting enough for me to get excited in SFV again.

Been playing too much Tekken 7FR, Saints Row IV (now finished), and SRWV (started) recently.

I don't know if I should start a new game or just finish DMC4SE and/or Dark Souls 2 SOTFS.

MCD250

Maintenance will start 13 hours from now, and last 8 hours. Then the lovely blonde Russian Lady will grace us with her fighting prowess.

Alpha 3 had Honda so Alpha 3 is better.
Honda and pretty much everyone else...

For real, it's hard to believe how much crazy shit there is jampacked into that game. The cast from the last two games plus most people who were missing from SFII *plus* new characters, new stages, three fighting styles, the guard meter, the busted-ass hurt/hitboxes, the world tour...I'm honestly shocked they didn't put in the parries from SFIII just for the hell of it.

I always thought Alpha 3 was kind of a mess of a game. A *glorious* mess, perhaps, but a mess all the same.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like Kolin's gonna be Top Tier, and a Kolin player will win EVO. Around that time is when some Top Kolin play will begin to emerge and no one will know how to counter it.

sMK is his best anti air for a lot of situations, people just don't test enough and nobody plays nash anymore because he sucks.

for instance, sMK was his best button at beating Ken's EX divekick in season one. Bonchan uses sHK more because it's more damage and he's a master, but sMK actually has the better aa hitbox. Punk aas with cFP because he doesn't give a fuck and doesn't respect his opponents.

Did Nash players end up using that new target combo they gave him? You can combo it after cr hp or ex moon but it seems like it's difficult to keep pressure after it midscreen and it doesn't actually give all that much v meter so I'd rather do something else.

Also weren't you meant to be able to anti air with it or something? I vaguely remember chat about that but I don't see how it's meant to work. (I know you can whiff cancel the mk but it seems way too slow.)

I am amazed how little hype there is for Kolin here.

What lucebuce12 and mbpm1 wrote.
Plus the time-zone difference which means that she'll be released in the middle of the night, anyway.

I am also pretty sure that I won't have any idea how to play Kolin anyway, so I'll sit it out for a little while until somebody dumbs it down for people like me. But I'm looking forward to play against Kolin players when she drops.

Spuck-uk

Banned
That's seriously misguided and honestly deeply insulting to everyone who has worked on this game.

I guess KOF14 is gutter trash indie budget and MKX is just average budget.

KoF14 was a complete game at release, and has had way more extensive (and better) balance patching and a graphical overhaul, on what must be a far smaller budget.

MKX is THE example of how to make a fighting game that actually sells well (and they completely revamped their netcode to make it best in class, and they have better balance patching than SFV as well).

Do you work for Capcom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom