• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but didnt they find out the dumb shit much later? The game was still leagues ahead of something like SFV when it came out. Modern fighters like SF4,5 have the benefit of patches to prevent dumb shit like in that vid.

That dumb shit was in the first year or so. Custom combos ruled the game and the meta in general. Even the first tournaments had people selecting that shit because it was leagues better. Custom combos in general are difficult to balance, but Capcom said hey fuck it and we got A3.

Edit: Here's a tournament from 2000, just a little less than two years after the game's release. The infinite stuff isn't wholly indicative of the entire game or how any set match would go, but it's stupid shit like this that was already possible a year or so in release.

https://youtu.be/A37Q3seNZKo?t=56m14s

SFV and 4, and even 3, were nowhere near as busted due to the V-ISM system.

Not talking about custom combos. That shit is hype.

The video posted was about the corner infinites where they just keep doing J.LP or something. That is without V-ism or custom combos.

Oh I see you. Fair game.

Shadoken

That dumb shit was in the first year or so. Custom combos ruled the game and the meta in general. Even the first tournaments had people selecting that shit because it was leagues better. Custom combos in general are difficult to balance, but Capcom said hey fuck it and we got A3.

Not talking about custom combos. That shit is hype.
The video posted was about the corner infinites where they just keep doing J.LP or something. That is without V-ism or custom combos.

Alpha 3 Hype
https://youtu.be/Nsa_V8n4lrU?t=1087

Bring back Sodom.

Edit: Here's a tournament from 2000, just a little less than two years after the game's release. The infinite stuff isn't wholly indicative of the entire game or how any set match would go, but it's stupid shit like this that was already possible a year or so in release.

https://youtu.be/A37Q3seNZKo?t=56m14s

SFV and 4, and even 3, were nowhere near as busted due to the V-ISM system.

Oh I see you. Fair game.

Yea, To me Custom combos were basically like Yun Super. It looked hype and had some execution difficulty.
The corner J.LP infintes tho just looked stupidly weird , regardless of how hard they were.

Also damn that vid you posted has so much more neutral than SFV. All hell breaks loose once the V Ism is active tho.

Also damn that vid you posted has so much more neutral than SFV. All hell breaks loose once the V Ism is active tho.

A3 had waaaay better defensive options than SFV, but VISM busted that game so hard it amounted to who could get off the best VISM garbage, sometimes in the corner.

I would definitely play SODOM though. See you next season.

Man I shit talk A3 but honestly that game was fun. All of the SF games are fun for different reasons, and all of them have various bits of bullshit. Someone host a SFEX tournament please.

Skilletor

Custom Combos are trash, they're nothing but a mistake.

A3 had waaaay better defensive options than SFV, but VISM busted that game so hard it amounted to who could get off the best VISM garbage, sometimes in the corner.

I would definitely play SODOM though. See you next season.

Man I shit talk A3 but honestly that game was fun. All of the SF games are fun for different reasons, and all of them have various bits of bullshit. Someone host a SFEX tournament please.

A3 is one of the worst SFs, imo, but I still enjoy playing it. Mostly because of the roster and because none of my friends use v-ism. When we were playing seriously, the game was boring as fuck.

HERE WE GO

It's nothing.

pg66SAc.gif

Kappa

Sayad

In that interview from earlier, Capcom actually addressed that:

The shooters I know don't revert the whole game back to an earlier state like fighting games do. It's more about the position of your opponent. Again...need to ask programmers.
I know FPS and fighters doesn't exactly work the same way, but their answer is pure PR. The complaints they mention about FPS do apply to fighting games using roll back netcodes, roll backs happen, people complain about them, they ruin some games and everyone moves on(some might complain on forums ;p).

Also, storing states for rollback uses is extremely simple in a fighter, even a game like SFIV was always recording both characters states the whole round for replay playback, the big issue is rolling back 3D keyframed animation.
In a sprite based game, rollbacks are easier because each state has a corresponding sprite. With real-time 3D animation, you have key frames at the start of the animation and another key frame at the end, the in between animation is drawn by connecting the dots between the two keyframes. Now say if you had to roll back to a point in the middle of an attack animation where there are no key frames, determining what the animation would look like at that frame require a lot more work than just pulling the corresponding sprite.

ElFly

A2 was much more balanced than A3 and the custom combos weren't as stupid. I mean they were stupid but at least the were democratic; almost everyone had a decent one

dunno if Alpha 2 Gold was much better; it had reduced CC damage for _some_ people but it is hard to say if all the changes they added made for a better game overall; it seems they nerfed Chun at least so that's something

Also, storing states for rollback uses is extremely simple in a fighter, even a game like SFIV was always recording both characters states the whole round for replay playback, the big issue is rolling back 3D keyframed animation.

jeez I hadn't even thought of this. makes tons of sense

Update doesn't seem hefty so I doubt it has anything big. Might have traces of something to come depending on how they want to do that.

ElFly

Update doesn't seem hefty so I doubt it has anything big. Might have traces of something to come depending on how they want to do that.

prolly every one is coded for obscurity now :(

and anyway at best we'd get names for people who we don't know. maybe we could confirm Rashid's Butler

Note that I haven't gone through the files so whoever can do that is welcome to find some juicy stuff.

prolly every one is coded for obscurity now :(

and anyway at best we'd get names for people who we don't know. maybe we could confirm Rashid's Butler

From a character perspective I really hope it ain't him. But I'm sure'll play fine, I just don't like the character in general.

ElFly

Note that I haven't gone through the files so whoever can do that is welcome to find some juicy stuff.

From a character perspective I really hope it ain't him. But I'm sure'll play fine, I just don't like the character in general.

he is supposed to be bros with Gief so I expect another 360 grappler

IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY

MrCarter

he is supposed to be bros with Gief so I expect another 360 grappler

IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY

He was in the recent Street Fighter vs Darkstalkers comic too doing, what seems to be, one of his special moves. Would like to see what else Capcom can cook up with a grappler.

In SFIV it seems like replays only stored the input, not the character states. There is an amusing demonstration of this that somebody posted after the transition to Steam, a transition that also involved small tweaks to the frame-data. In this replay one character wins on GFWL and the other character wins on Steam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SuVZlNXKLM

Not that this refutes what your point, since storing character states on top of input should not require much more in terms of resources. I am basically just using your comment as an excuse to post that video.

It's 564mb, which I think is bigger than the additions to previous updates (the filesize just keeps increasing until there's a real title update like S2, then it resets to zero).
The biggest eventual size we had for all the dlc added starting with ibuki onwards was 1200mb I think.

ElFly

Ucchedavāda;231204152 said:
In SFIV it seems like replays only stored the input, not the character states. There is an amusing demonstration of this that somebody posted after the transition to Steam, a transition that also involved small tweaks to the frame-data. In this replay one character wins on GFWL and the other character wins on Steam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SuVZlNXKLM

Not that this refutes what your point, since storing character states on top of input should not require much more in terms of resources. I am basically just using your comment as an excuse to post that video.

hilarious

I remember in GT1 on PS1 I won a race once and watching the replay I got second. an AI car was just ahead me on the replay for a few centimeters for whatever reason

Azam should be like Hugo. Then I'd be okay with it.

And why is the size so big then in relation to previous starting patches?

Zangief is already p Hugo like

hilarious

I remember in GT1 on PS1 I won a race once and watching the replay I got second. an AI car was just ahead me on the replay for a few centimeters for whatever reason
Hah, that's the first time I've heard of retroactive rubber-banding in a video game.

And why is the size so big then in relation to previous starting patches?
It is possible that they are tweaking some existing assets on top of adding Kolin to the game. Unpacking the new files should reveal what is being added / overridden, but I personally won't have the opportunity to look at at until tomorrow.

There is no Hugo without the clap!

And wasn't there another dude who unpacked files and sorted through them? Y'all are killing me. You should be dedicating your life to finding the Capcom leaks like I am.

mbpm1

There is no Hugo without the clap!

And wasn't there another dude who unpacked files and sorted through them? Y'all are killing me. You should be dedicating your life to finding the Capcom leaks like I am.

Both those dudes are RIPped away by better games

ElFly

Ucchedavāda;231205282 said:
Hah, that's the first time I've heard of retroactive rubber-banding in a video game.

In Burnout 2 one time a bro beat me for like a minute or so; the winner's car parks beyond the finishing line, this is seen on his split screen

I ran like hell and crashed on a tree in a curve just before the finishing line. the game showed my car flying and landing ahead of my friend's car

the game declared me as the winner

Azam should be Hakan

yeaaah

except that Hakan should be a p straight forward SFV port: V-skill is oil for a few seconds, V-trigger is oil for 30 seconds, there

well we can always have two hakans

VariantX

Custom Combos are trash, they're nothing but a mistake.

A3 is one of the worst SFs, imo, but I still enjoy playing it. Mostly because of the roster and because none of my friends use v-ism. When we were playing seriously, the game was boring as fuck.

Makes me glad I never even tried to play A3 at anything beyond casual play. All those groove and playstyle options and V-Ism being the best choice would make it unbearably boring for me personally.

WSO just psuedo-confirmed that the $600,000 CPT prize pool is a minimum...and perhaps the CPT DLC crowdfunding will return later in the year...

Nothing definite announced, though.

We still have a Nuckledu costume in the works...

WSO just psuedo-confirmed that the $600,000 CPT prize pool is a minimum...and perhaps the CPT DLC crowdfunding will return later in the year...

Nothing definite announced, though.

We still have a Nuckledu costume in the works...

I would be shocked if that was not the case.
They added $100k to the price pool last year, so they must have sold Pro Tour DLC for something like $300k, of which 30% went into the price pool, and of which they used 50% for producing the Pro Tour itself. That's not only creates a lot of publicity, but also saves them a lot of money in return for what is probably a relatively small investment.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I know FPS and fighters doesn't exactly work the same way, but their answer is pure PR. The complaints they mention about FPS do apply to fighting games using roll back netcodes, roll backs happen, people complain about them, they ruin some games and everyone moves on(some might complain on forums ;p).

In a sprite based game, rollbacks are easier because each state has a corresponding sprite. With real-time 3D animation, you have key frames at the start of the animation and another key frame at the end, the in between animation is drawn by connecting the dots between the two keyframes. Now say if you had to roll back to a point in the middle of an attack animation where there are no key frames, determining what the animation would look like at that frame require a lot more work than just pulling the corresponding sprite.
Ah, that's a good explanation of what the problem is, thanks.

Hypothetically, if one of you fine folks won Capcom Cup, what kind of costume would you design and for which character?

I'd probably go for some casualwear for Mika akin to this Diepod art:
Late'90s to early-aughts mall goth outfit for Laura
and you know Mike Ross would main the shit out of it

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if I can get rid of the SFV Beta in my Steam game library somehow?

Late'90s to early-aughts mall goth outfit for Laura
and you know Mike Ross would main the shit out of it
He couldn't pick that one, there would be no rational thinking left with that on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom