• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayad

For a little while yes.

Went online, first match was using LP turbo to farm EXP.

Second guy was a Guile main with a 4-bar connection where by the time it showed that he had jumped, he was literally already hitting me with his crossup.

Third guy was also a Guile main, but he was a 5-bar so it was solid. Didn't really feel like playing Kolin so I switched to FANG, got matched with him again and beat him handily.

Waited 10 minutes for a match... only to get matched up with the EXP farmer again.

In all these matches, my stats didn't show up (not a major thing but still mildly annoying as it just reminds you of the state of the servers). Loading screens were still sooooo long.

Then I was at the main menu screen for 15 minutes again, with no match. My connection was even set to 3-5 just so I could get SOMETHING but nope.

There is no point in me playing this game any more, it is quite literally a waste of time.
Oh! I sympathies, my time with this game have been more than 95% offline, and when it's online, it's in lobbies against friends. I actually never played ranked after week 2 until the start of S2 when I played about 5 or so games!

Bob White

For a little while yes.

Second guy was a Guile main with a 4-bar connection where by the time it showed that he had jumped, he was literally already hitting me with his crossup.

Third guy was also a Guile main, but he was a 5-bar so it was solid. Didn't really feel like playing Kolin so I switched to FANG, got matched with him again and beat him handily.

Waited 10 minutes for a match... only to get matched up with the EXP farmer again.

In all these matches, my stats didn't show up (not a major thing but still mildly annoying as it just reminds you of the state of the servers). Loading screens were still sooooo long.

Then I was at the main menu screen for 15 minutes again, with no match. My connection was even set to 3-5 just so I could get SOMETHING but nope.

There is no point in me playing this game any more, it is quite literally a waste of time.

Like I said before, I'll still come in the thread to shitpost and stuff. Just won't be playing the game while I do it.

Also I feel like people SHOULD forget that F.A.N.G exists. He is literally useless in Season 2.

I was just about to make a post like this. Waiting a long ass time to be matched with a exp farmer is fucking infuriating. The whole thing is just ass.

quick edit. YAY matched against the same farmer again.

I deleted SFV once too, but I think it was a few weeks before Alex came out because I felt done with the game. The launch was an absolute nightmare.
For a little while yes.

Like I said before, I'll still come in the thread to shitpost and stuff. Just won't be playing the game while I do it.

Also I feel like people SHOULD forget that F.A.N.G exists. He is literally useless in Season 2.
goddamn

This is some unlucky ish. Aside from launch issues I just never experience problems like this even in online fighters with a low population. SFV has been particularly active for me even if the online isn't top tier and some people straight up have almost cheat-like rollbacks.

Kolin nice character but weak damage, unless the rest of the cast getting a damage nerf to be like her, I rather play Low Tier Alex..

I know how you feel, coming from a mainly Street Fighter background I didn't enjoy the system either.

But I've recently been putting some time into the F2P version with Jago and I realized that it actually works really well if you take two things into account.

(i) The combo system is not the only way to get real damage. Chip,potential and projectile damage are incredibly potent. You can straight up win matches in the game without doing a single combo.

(ii) When you get accustomed to the breaker system, the depths and mindgames start expanding like three-fold. When you start implementing shadow counters and the like into your gameplan, the game becomes so much about mindgames that it feels INCREDIBLY rewarding when you land it. Even more than baiting a DP IMO.

I also love that every character has such insane depth and every character has like the MOST INSANE bullshit yet it's still so balanced. Any character can beat any other character in that game.

I don't disagree.
And I actually wanted to give it another try recently, spent some time to clear out my C: so that I could actually install it (any other drive failed), downloaded the many gigs, started it up, and then my stick didn't work. That was a bit demotivating, but I should probably try again.

Kolin nice character but weak damage, unless the rest of the cast getting a damage nerf to be like her, I rather play Low Tier Alex..

She has damage, she's just super technical.

And I should clarify. She doesn't have gorilla damage, but she has a ton of tools and options to shut people down.

Ucchedavāda;231474474 said:
I don't disagree.
And I actually wanted to give it another try recently, spent some time to clear out my C: so that I could actually install it (any other drive failed), downloaded the many gigs, started it up, and then my stick didn't work. That was a bit demotivating, but I should probably try again.
They fixed that C: only thing in the windows store, I have it installed in my F partition.

And they've fixed a lot of issues with the PC version, including I think the stick problem. It's definitely worth giving another shot. The consistent online alone would make the hassle worth it.

left behind squad
N7dBax1.png

DR2K

Banned
I've been there.

Take a break, play some other shit, and maybe come back down the road.

This is what I keep doing, but the game gets worse every time. Netcode and online and loading times are terrible, survival mode is awful, gameplay balance is shit, everything is fucked up. There's a good game in there at its heart, but you're going to have to really want it and put up with a lot of bullshit to have fun. I just don't understand why the game is in the condition it's in and how so many promises and features go broken and continue to be missing.

They fixed that C: only thing in the windows store, I have it installed in my F partition.

And they've fixed a lot of issues with the PC version, including I think the stick problem. It's definitely worth giving another shot. The consistent online alone would make the hassle worth it.

It was only a month or two ago I tried. Has anything been fixed since then?

I'm going to spend more time at my locals. Had one a few weeks ago and it was so much fun not having to worry about connection issues, errors, missing points, lagging people, or long loading times (because they were smart enough to leave the PS4's offline).

On another note, hoping for a blog post the week after this upcoming one. That should be enough time between Kolin and after FR. And enough time to not get disappointed either!

Skab

My issues with the game aren't things like balance or the design or the gameplay. Yes, FANG is garbage but I still like the character and it's still fun as fuck fighting against the top tier characters.

Problem is it's like I have to wade through a barely functioning and slow UI and netcode to get to that point. Most of the regulars I used to play with have dropped the game too so what's the point.

These problems are something that Capcom hasn't fixed in a year, and haven't really given any indication on whether they even will be or when so I'm not gonna stick around on the promise of a promise that the game will become well-made.

I actually just installed Unreal Engine 4 on my PC today, to try and get into that engine too :D

I'll try the gamae out but I'm not expecting much, I'm not in a region where that sort of game is particularly popular. Heard a lot of good things though.

This is what I keep doing, but the game gets worse every time. Netcode and online and loading times are terrible, survival mode is awful, gameplay balance is shit, everything is fucked up. There's a good game in there at its heart, but you're going to have to really want it and put up with a lot of bullshit to have fun. I just don't understand why the game is in the condition it's in and how so many promises and features go broken and continue to be missing.

Yep. I feel you guys, dont worry.

Thankfully there are plenty of good games and fighting games out there to play right now.

Luce, maybe just take a break and come back once the netcode patch/fix comes out this spring. (assuming it still comes out in the spring)

Huh, then maybe not. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=230944524#post230944524

It doesn't recognize DirectInput, only X360 compatible sticks. Maybe there's some tool you can use to emulate a 360 stick?

Sucks if it still doesn't work :(

Unfortunately the way in which W10 Apps are distributed precludes any of the easy ways of emulating x360 sticks, which is one of the reasons I don't like that eco-system. Also the nonsense error messages, which yields approximately 7 billion hits on google, none of them useful.

I actually have a 360 stick, but I suspect it of being slightly janky (I've already replaced bits once). I should just dust it off, and then have a ready-made excuse for when I lose.

MrCarter

I wouldn't say the netcode is "terrible" especially compared to its predecessor but the server and loading times are the main problem - and that's unacceptable. Balance I would say is subjective. The core game is solid however it's the little things that are having an effect on the experience.

Thankfully there are plenty of good games and fighting games out there to play right now.

Exactly. SFV is not going anywhere anytime soon so taking a break and experiencing other things to play is completely fine. Looking forward to what MvCI brings us!

Alright, my other stick works in KI, at least.

I wouldn't say the netcode is "terrible" especially compared to its predecessor but the server and loading times are the main problem - and that's unacceptable. Balance I would say is subjective. The core game is solid however it's the little things that are having an effect on the experience.

It probably depends a lot on your local infrastructure, but netcode is pretty good for me. Hell, I can play an American friend of mine from USFIV, who mains Sim, and there is barely any rollback and I can still react to what he does. We also played some in USFIV, and there it was like playing in oil; smooth but sluggish.

There are still some issues, but the vast majority of my matches are fine.

MrCarter

Ucchedavāda;231476234 said:
It probably depends a lot on your local infrastructure, but netcode is pretty good for me. Hell, I can play an American friend of mine from USFIV, who mains Sim, and there is barely any rollback and I can still react to what he does. We also played some in USFIV, and there it was like playing in oil; smooth but sluggish.

There are still some issues, but the vast majority of my matches are fine.

Same for me. I'm from the UK and the actual matches are fine due to having a good infrastructure but these server errors are a pain. SFIV was like playing underwater.

FluxWaveZ

It seems its gonna be alot of work even just figuring out what counters can be used for certain moves, like overheads, airborne normals etc. I havent tested any of that yet.

Going back to this: yes. Like, I just learned that Cammy's Spiral Arrow needs to be countered high. I don't quite understand the reason behind some of these, so I'm taking some time to try counters on moves I'm wondering about right now.

From what I can currently gather: anything that hits low needs to be countered low, no exceptions. Any jump-in naturally needs to be countered high. Now, it seems that moves where the opponent is placed horizontally and moves toward Kolin (e.g. Mika's drop kick, Cammy's Spiral Arrow, Rashid's Eagle Spike) need to be countered high. Overheads need to be countered medium.

Going back to this: yes. Like, I just learned that Cammy's Spiral Arrow needs to be countered high. I don't quite understand the reason behind some of these, so I'm taking some time to try counters on moves I'm wondering about right now.

From what I can currently gather: anything that hits low needs to be countered low, no exceptions. Any jump-in naturally needs to be countered high. Now, it seems that moves where the opponent is placed horizontally and moves toward Kolin (e.g. Mika's drop kick, Cammy's Spiral Arrow, Rashid's Eagle Spike) need to be countered high. Overheads need to be countered medium.

Spiral Arrow, drop kick, and eagle spike should all be airborne when they hit.

Tan

I thought Kolin's heavy counter only applied to moves that were considered airborne. Or are there exceptions to even that?

Yes everything that makes the player airborne, needs to be countered high, some overheads might actually look airborne but aren't.

FluxWaveZ

Spiral Arrow, drop kick, and eagle spike should all be airborne when they hit.

Yes everything that makes the player airborne, needs to be countered high, some overheads might actually look airborne but aren't.

Oh wait, then that's actually really simple. For some reason, I thought I had found exceptions to this before with Rashid's f.HK, Ibuki's OH and Mika's st.MK, but the airborne thing checks out.

It's just that, a normal that isn't airborne but still crushes lows still needs to be countered medium.

Oh wow, so this is the kind of stuff that was confusing me: so Rashid's Spinning Mixer (run) only becomes airborne at frame 11. This means that anything prior to frame 11 needs to be countered medium. After that point, however, he needs to be countered high.

I thought Kolin's heavy counter only applied to moves that were considered airborne. Or are there exceptions to even that?

I think this sounds like it's the case. The weird part is when there's a move that's airborne that you wouldn't expect to be. Like, with this information, I have to think about whether Bison's knee press is airborne. On certain frames it is, so if you're countering it earlier, it needs to be the high counter (I think). But if you're countering it at the very end, it needs to be medium countered.

It's for moves that hit overhead.

No, there are overhead moves that need to be countered medium.

Mr. X

There's moves that jump, land then hit like Akuma's chop or Rashid's overhead that look airborne but aren't and you counter mid. Or Ryu light dp gets countered high, while the rest get mid.

Lot of nuance to be polite. Would be smarter/easier for players if the counters worked like blocking. L counters anything you must crouch block (mids/overhead win), M counters anything you can block standing AND low (lows and overheads win), H counters anything you must block standing (lows/mids win).

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, it seems like some issues have ironed themselves out. Not as many error messages. Post-fight statistics actually getting updated. Maybe it's due to a drop in player count after the influx of players for the Kolin update.

Hah. Ran into my first Ken in a while and got gimmick'd out so hard that I don't know what hit me.. only took 1 round in two matches. I am not proud of my performance.

Ucchedavāda;231483066 said:
Hah. Ran into my first Ken in a while and got gimmick'd out so hard that I don't know what hit me.. only took 1 round in two matches. I am not proud of my performance.

Happens to us all. Sadly.

kirblar

I think the issue with Kolin's high counter is the existence of things like Cannon Strike which can be blocked Mid even though they're air attacks. They likely faced a choice between "airborne" vs "overhead" with implementation, and the former felt less bad.

Tan

I can reliably counter uriens overheads with kolin, but as usual I am incapable of blocking overheads. I cannot understand it.

Ucchedavāda;231485064 said:
According to SteamCharts, there are still almost twice as many players playing at the moment compared to before Kolin dropped.

So maybe they corrected the issue and didn't tell us shit?

We will see come next character I guess.

Femto.

Anyone else think the fourth DLC character is Gill?

The head on the silhouette looks like it has some thicc locks, at least to me, and he's probably zoomed in to hide any more details.

Just want I think though

kirblar

Anyone else think the fourth DLC character is Gill?

The head on the silhouette looks like it has some thicc locks, at least to me, and he's probably zoomed in to hide any more details.

Just want I think though
Gill's been "playable" before. Also, the 4th character has a super crazy big upper body- the proportions are ridiculous (and I think it might be Tekken's Jack.)

Femto.

He was? Never knew. There goes that lol

I'd honestly be surprised if we get a cross over character. SFV has the lowest number of new fighters in it's initial roster outside of SFIII.

So maybe they corrected the issue and didn't tell us shit?

We will see come next character I guess.

I'd be shocked if that was the case.

One possible explanation could be that the patch was distributed from the servers instead of using a CDN, which could have resulted in the bandwidth getting saturated from transferring half a gig of data to a ton of players. If so, that would explain why it has gotten better, since most active players will have gotten the patch by now. But that's just pure speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom