• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyun Sai

I would say he looks even better in SFV than he did in SF3! They really brought him alive using Unreal Engine 4 and I would say he's one of the best animated characters SFV has.

I'm sure I read someone complaining that his abs didn't move like SF3 and that Capcom failed Urien, posting pics and gifs. I can't find the post, but that was incredible.

Pompadour

I'm sure I read someone complaining that his abs didn't move like SF3 and that Capcom failed Urien, posting pics and gifs. I can't find the post, but that was incredible.

Yeah, they were complaining about the way his torso moved as he breathed. I'm pretty obsessive about animation in fighting games and adore that aspect of III but that still seemed insane to me.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
III really is the best at that, but I would argue that V is the close 2nd.

One of my favourite bits is how Dudley's mouth wobbles when he does Corkscrew Blow. It indicates its power and how it moves the air. There is absolutely zero feedback in 4 during that same move.

mbpm1

This is fascinating to me, brehs.

I tried it with Cammy just now, as her EX DP has much fewer startup frames (3), many active frames (11) and many iframes (10 from the first). Kolin's V-Skill will parry the first hit on the DP and then she and Cammy will harmlessly pass through each other as Cammy keeps moving through her DP animation as normal and Kolin does her counter animation. BUT the qcb counter will parry the first hit of the DP and then grab Cammy right out of the air after.

Interesting.
It's a counter

It just works

Pompadour

III really is the best at that, but I would argue that V is the close 2nd.

One of my favourite bits is how Dudley's mouth wobbles when he does Corkscrew Blow. It indicates its power and how it moves the air. There is absolutely zero feedback in 4 during that same move.

SFV has gorgeous animation which includes a lot of unnecessary stuff they added to give characters more personality (idle animations, different animations for some Heavies on block) but III still tops it. V is definitely a close 2nd, though.

One thing I'd love to see is more of the deformation of characters' bodies when hit but I figure that's much harder in 3D and would require multiple character models a la Xrd. Hugo is my favorite character to fight in III because punching them is like punching silly puddy. His head will whip back but his face waits a quarter of a second before it follows, making it stretch out like some Looney Tunes shit.

Also, III has the best falling animations in any fighting game, easily. Q looks like he lands in the most painful way possible.

MCD250

Well... Yeah...why would the counter care if you have a hurtbox? It's only interacting with the hitbox.
What I mean is that the qcb counter will still do the "damage" portion of the move, even on moves that are supposed to be invincible and which can have multiple hits over the course of their invincibility, like EX DPs. As I said, I expected the counter to, well, counter one hit of the DP but then maybe have its "damage" animation stuffed by the subsequent hits or something. Like say, what would happen to Ryu if he tried to parry one hit of a multiple hit move and then tried to attack immediately after. With Kolin's qcb counter, that doesn't happen. She will parry the first hit of an EX DP and then she will do the "damage" portion of the move successfully, even though (I think) the DPing character is technically still supposed to be invincible during that part. It seemed curious to me.

Pompadour

What I mean is that the qcb counter will still do the "damage" portion of the move, even on moves that are supposed to be invincible and which can have multiple hits over the course of their invincibility, like EX DPs. As I said, I expected the counter to, well, counter one hit of the DP but then maybe have its "damage" animation stuffed by the subsequent hits or something. Like say, what would happen to Ryu if he tried to parry one hit of a multiple hit move and then tried to attack immediately after. With Kolin's qcb counter, that doesn't happen. She will parry the first hit of an EX DP and then she will do the "damage" portion of the move successfully, even though (I think) the DPing character is technically still supposed to be invincible during that part. It seemed curious to me.

Well, that's only because "invincible" means "has no hit box" in this instance. The counter hitbox intersects with the enemy hitbox and immediately cancels all activity for both players to go into a canned animation that assigns some damage.

The other way counters can work would be like Dudley's cross counter that just triggers an attack if he's hit during the counter. It doesn't trump invincible moves because it's not ending the opponent's animation.

Ryce

Rejected Kolin alt costumes:

MdjVUwa.jpg
kVxrShn.jpg
TZ00wGL.jpg
2hTUSeu.jpg
HJV51Is.jpg

There's nothing curious about it, because as I said, the move is only interacting with the hitbox, not the hurtbox, it's not a grab, or a hit. All it needs is an intersecting hitbox.
As Kingawesome said, once this happens, the move simply stops anything that's happening, the "invincible" srk simply stops existing. The counter doesn't "attack" an opponent doing an srk, it simply puts them in another state, which in this case is kolin dunking the opponent.
As skilletor said, this is how counters work in nearly every game.

MCD250

I really like the design with the trenchcoat. Wish that'd made it in.

Hell, there should be more characters in this game with capes/trenchcoats/long flowing clothing. The animation is nice. Balrog's looks great when he's spinning around.

There's nothing curious about it, because as I said, the move is only interacting with the hitbox, not the hurtbox, it's not a grab, or a hit. All it needs is an intersecting hitbox.
As Kingawesome said, once this happens, the move simply stops anything that's happening, the "invincible" srk simply stops existing. The counter doesn't "attack" an opponent doing an srk, it simply puts them in another state, which in this case is kolin dunking the opponent.
As skilletor said, this is how counters work in nearly every game.
Right, but her V-Skill counter doesn't seem to work like that (at least, not with every character). That's what's curious to me, that she essentially seems to have two counters that work in different ways.

Right, but her V-Skill counter doesn't seem to work like that (at least, not with every character). That's what's curious to me, that she essentially seems to have two counters that work in different ways.
Her vskill counter goes into an attack yes, it doesn't change the state of both players, it just intersects with a hitbox, which triggers the attack.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I want this, why cant I have this

I wonder if they actually model any of these and try them out on the character in action. This one would have great physics properties, but maybe it actually looked bad combined with her stance. Or maybe long coats in general are more trouble than they're worth due to clipping and the propensity for glitchy cloth animations in this game.

I really like the design with the trenchcoat. Wish that'd made it in.

Hell, there should be more characters in this game with capes/trenchcoats/long flowing clothing. The animation is nice. Balrog's looks great when he's spinning around.

The only character with a long coat is also the only character who can't kick, which supports my animation issues theory.

Still, I agree that more flowing clothing tends to be a net positive for animations. Even Ken's hanging gi top adds a lot of flare to all his animations and it's a small enough physics object that it doesn't lead to noticeable glitching.

Skilletor

Lol at some of you forgetting what counters are. No need to be so baffled by Kolin, she's nothing new.

It's because counters were garbage in SF4 and got beat by the same things focus attacks did.

Go play Geese and then hollar back in this thread.

Bigg_Oggy

This game is in desperate need of long coats.
And casual wear.
And a sale in the store so I can actually buy some costumes.

LakeEarth

Of course one of the Kolin alt designs features underboob. I'm beginning to think the lead artist might be a 15 year old boy.

I am still shocked how slow the alt outfits are coming out. I see them fairly frequently online, so some people are buying them.

stn

I love Kolin's PREDICTABO, she's so much fun to play. Love her movement and all of her animations.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god this recent Excellent Adventures episode. Gootecks downplaying Urien, but complaining about Vega, wow.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Oh my god this recent Excellent Adventures episode. Gootecks downplaying Urien, but complaining about Vega, wow.

Urien is one of my favorite characters of all time and I can't even play him anymore. It just feels dirty.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Now Mike, a Laura player, is calling Ibuki cheap. He called her top tier before. What the hell is this.

edit: Ok, he said Laura is #3. Mike redeemed!

Edzi

I don't understand how gootecks is so consistently out of touch with the FGC despite being one of its most well known members. Dude is always baffled when it comes to anything regarding SFV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom