• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

Gootecks and LI Joe are right in that most people are way overestimating Urien. They aren't saying he's not really good or anything. He's just clearly not the best character in the game.

Edzi

Gootecks and LI Joe are right in that most people are way overestimating Urien. They aren't saying he's not really good or anything. He's just clearly not the best character in the game.

Aren't you a Urien player too?

Yeah, he's not the best, but I think people are mostly pointing out that he's got some pretty glaring issues that should be fixed. CC fishing with st.HP is probably the biggest offender for me. I don't want him changed too much though, juggle combos + Aegis are hype and need to stay hype.

Moaradin

Guile, Cammy, Necalli, maybe Chun Li, and maybe Balrog are all chars I'd say are better than Urien.

I feel like the best character in the game wouldn't have some of the bad matchups that Urien has. You look at S1 Chun and what bad matchups did she have?

Urien's biggest strength is finding a hit and converting. In that respect he is hands down the best character in the game.

I guess my issue is the the damage. Urien can open people up easier but takes more work and more bars to do the stupid stuff Rog does. Or maybe it's Rogs crazy v trigger talking.

And Uriens bad matchups are people who can keep up the pressure like Cammy, Rog, and Bison. But I think those are 5-5. I'm not sure.

Moaradin

I'm not even downplaying. I think Urien is possibly top 5 right now. He's a very good character. Doesn't mean he's flawless and broken like some people seem to believe.

Shadoken

Omg, the downplaying. Lol.

The only people who dont downplay their character are Fang players. Heck you can see them asking for nerfs so that ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶e̶r̶y̶ the game can be better.

Moaradin

I just find it funny how characters like Uiren and Balrog get all the attention while characters like Guile and Cammy silently slip through the cracks lmao

Shadoken

TBH I actually think Urien and Rog are alright. I think they need a few tweaks to maybe 1-2 moves and they would be fine. It's mostly the low tier characters that need buffs.

Characters like Guile fuck up the game a lot more they have some pretty dumb matchups and need to be given more attention. I don't see how buffing some low tiers would help against Guile unless they give some new moves or something.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I just find it funny how characters like Uiren and Balrog get all the attention while characters like Guile and Cammy silently slip through the cracks lmao

I dont know about that. Guile isnt getting it even though he's top 3 imo but i feel Cammy is definitely getting the scrutiny.

Edzi

TBH I actually think Urien and Rog are alright. I think they need a few tweaks to maybe 1-2 moves and they would be fine. It's mostly the low tier characters that need buffs.

Characters like Guile fuck up the game a lot more they have some pretty dumb matchups and need to be given more attention. I don't see how buffing some low tiers would help against Guile unless they give some new moves or something.

Everything Rog does is plus. He has an unreactable almost full screen LOW attack that can lead to huge damage. He also has a move that makes him completely invincible and is also plus. How is he okay?

It was already said but I'll repeat that it feels like some characters are slow and unnaturally stubby while others are from Super Turbo where normals, movement speed and recovery are on another level.

Some days you just wanna yell at your screen like "YEAH YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT CAN'T YOU?"

Everything Rog does is plus. He has an unreactable almost full screen LOW attack that can lead to huge damage. He also has a move that makes him completely invincible and is also plus. How is he okay?

That's an exaggeration.
While most of his buttons are plus (excluding stMP, stHP, crMK, crHP and crHK), his v-skill is minus on block, his target combos are minus on block, and his only plus on block specials are EX straight rush punch and TAP level 4 or above. One requires meter and the other requires sacrificing 2 buttons for 8 or more seconds.

EX low rush punch should probably be slowed down, though, especially considering the higher input delay in V.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I guess my issue is the the damage. Urien can open people up easier but takes more work and more bars to do the stupid stuff Rog does. Or maybe it's Rogs crazy v trigger talking.

And Uriens bad matchups are people who can keep up the pressure like Cammy, Rog, and Bison. But I think those are 5-5. I'm not sure.

Neither has a hard time at finding a hit though. Thats what makes good characters good in this game imo. One touch to 25-50% or great oki pressure. They're both a bit too skewed in that respect. I wouldn't nerf their tools but I'd definitely reduce their damage.

It has alot to do with how explosive urien and rog are. Their vtriggers, conversions off of safe or plus stray hits with trigger/crush counters, and damage output specifically. That's like the big issue with season 2 balance. It's very frustrating to deal with so they get alot of flak. There's just massive comeback potential with them. And Laura, too.

There are characters with similar abilities that don't get alot of attention at the moment for sure though. Like necalli and cammy as you mentioned.

I don't know where you're hanging around where guile isn't getting attention pretty much every top player i've seen has him in their top 3-5 other than guile mains lol.

Moaradin

Everyone acknowledges that Guile is one of the best characters in the game but nobody is asking for him to get gutted. It's weird.

I think people are looking at things the wrong way. Just because a character is top tier doesn't mean they need to be instantly nerfed. I think the problem is cheapness of a character. I say Cammy/Guile are really good but not overly cheap. But Laura Balrog and to a lesser degree IMO Urien can hit you with that BS pretty easily.

MCD250

Everyone acknowledges that Guile is one of the best characters in the game but nobody is asking for him to get gutted. It's weird.
Because people feel he's good in a "fair" way, as opposed to in a "find a button and do 40-60% damage and high stun and maybe get a reset or two for good measure" way.

Guile is really good though.

What people are proposing is gutting? Everything mentioned in this thread seems pretty measured for the most part on what they would change about him.

1 thing though, I don't know why his health is so high.

kirblar

People don't want to nerf one of the game's only defensive characters in a game that badly needs to reward defensive play more.

Shadoken

His normals are plus because all his specials are hella negative and punishable. I think if you made both his normals and specials negative , that would kill the character.

That ridiculously dumb LOW attack are among the moves I would call nerfs for. His damage needs to be tweaked. He seems to get a bit too much off some random hits.

People don't want to nerf one of the game's only defensive characters in a game that badly needs to reward defensive play more.

He is over tuned though , some characters have an almost impossible time getting around him. And if you buff those characters they will then become too Strong against Other fireball characters.
For a supposed defensive character , his offensive pressure is actually quite strong.

The big secret with Guile is that he looks like he takes brains to play but it's usually just flow chart unga bunga stuff killing you.

Pretty much , for a supposed "Defensive" characters. Most of these scrubs just resort to the usual sonic boom->Jump in pressure tactics when their predictable fireball patterns get exposed.

FluxWaveZ

Damn, had a temporary blackout during a match (that I was winning by a round) and the game took away 350 LP from me. It's not messing around.

Csr

People don't like getting hit once by a move across the screen or by a pretty safe cc cormal and losing half their life bar which leads into more pressure while the opponent still has vtrigger left for potentially big damage again.

Guile might a better character or as good as urien, balrog and laura but he gives you a lot more chances to figure the person who uses him out and his pressure doesn't make you feel that the match is just a big guessing game although the upside down kick is a little ridiculous to me.

Personally i just stopped playing the game a little after season 2 and a big reason why was that i wasn't enjoying most of my matches in season 2 the other was that i got fed up with all the other problems besides gameplay.

Edzi

His normals are plus because all his specials are hella negative and punishable. I think if you made both his normals and specials negative , that would kill the character.

That ridiculously dumb LOW attack are among the moves I would call nerfs for. His damage needs to be tweaked. He seems to get a bit too much off some random hits.

Nah, rush punches are effectively safe in practice.

Yeah rush punches are fireballs basically. Good rog players will always space them correctly just like a good Ryu won't throw out random hadoukens. The difference is that you punish with neutral jump instead of forward jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom