• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

I used to ultra 1 rush punches on reaction in 4. I miss being able to play as reactive as I used to. That said, there's something fun about being about to just go in sometimes.

Definitely a problem for me in this game. I notice it especially when I play older fighters and come back to SF5.

SFV making offline the same as online is/was such a bizarre design decision.
More people play online than offline, so it makes sense to try and have them be as consistent as possible. As great as people remember SF4 being, the game was a completely different beast online. One frame link dependence on a game with delay-based netcode. Welp.

It's actually kinda funny because the changes have actually made me more consistent in whiff punishing in 5 than I was in 4.

LakeEarth

Yeah, one thing I don't like about SF5 is that EX dash punches tend to have extremely fast startups AND are safe on block. For the most part.
sorry Alex!

SFV making offline the same as online is/was such a bizarre design decision.

Double edged sword. They wanted people to have the same experience so practicing online was viable just as it is offline. This is especially great for those of us with a weaker local scene.

The tradeoff was having increased input lag due to the parity.

I don't see how any of this stuff speaks to a game being easy to play, since you're just as likely to be on the receiving end as your opponent is. Offense being easy means defense is hard and vice versa.

Dahbomb

V Trigger is definitely a comeback.

As is no chip on pixel HP.

Comeback mechanic is something that greatly favors the losing person over the person winning. Losing person has faster access to V trigger in most cases and doesn't take damage past a certain point.

So saying SF4 has a comeback mechanic but SFV doesn't is not really true. Plus SFV's high damage/stun output makes it a lot easier to mount a comeback in general.

Skilletor

If only sf4 had server maintenance.

I'll put up with server maintenance 6 of 7 days of the week if it means never touching SF4 again.

I'll play SF The Movie: The game before I touch SF4 again.

I think that game is shit of the stinkiest tier.

vg260

I genuinely don't think that teaching people how to play fighters will help the genre at all. I think it's wasted resources because people can't handle losing. I think, at this point, that the people that really want to learn have the resources to do so from various communities.

I am not against the idea. I'm all for indepth tutorials like VF4:Evo, I just don't think they do any good. I don't think it would help player retention. I don't think it would help lots of players learn the game. I just think it's a huge waste of time for companies to court new players through indepth tutorials.

I've yet to see compelling evidence that tutorials help retain players or help a game sell.

The best selling fighting games have no tutorials (MKX, Smash), the worse selling games do (ASW games, Skullgirls, etc).

VF4:Evo had one of the best tutorials EVER in a fighting game.

Content that keeps casuals coming back is more important, imo, than tutorials. Make the game fun, make them willing to invest in an ecosystem, and maybe one day they'll move from casual to competitive.

Like I said, not against the idea, just disagree when people say that any amount of indepth tutorials is going to make gains on the playerbase.

I totally agree with all this.

I think super in-depth tutorials sound great on paper, but can easily become a huge task to actually design in-game. The resources are better spent elsewhere, especially for games with long support where the systems and balance may change.

You're absolutely right, people who complain about tutorials are straight up just using it as an excuse for why they don't play, and it's similar to the people crying for Arcade mode. If either of those things found its way to the game, I can guarantee most of them wouldn't magically start playing the game overnight.

Most people are just not willing to put in the time and effort it takes to learn how to play a fighting game, and they want to create an excuse for why that is. Losing is hard, and in a 1v1 game there's nobody to blame but yourself. Most people don't like that.

I don't think arcade mode is a totally fair comparison, as it is a hook for players who don't care to put much dedication into learning to still enjoy the game.

kirblar

Double edged sword. They wanted people to have the same experience so practicing online was viable just as it is offline. This is especially great for those of us with a weaker local scene.

The tradeoff was having increased input lag due to the parity.
Having a ton of unreactable stuff is a deliberate design decision (because that stuff's unreactable online!) It's just not a good one, because it just normalizes the worst parts of the online experience.

MrCarter

It's a lot harder to play.

SFIV had ultras, 4 ex bars, normals that didn't require you be a pixel away to land, and Focus moves. There was also much greater reward for putting time into the game and learning it's mechanics. SFV is a shallow puddle in comparison

Disagree. SFIV was bloated with so much nonsense that, whenever I played, I felt like I was always behind a certain skill barrier, especially in terms of physical execution (FADC) and awful 1-frame links. Eventually I gave up and only stayed at an average player level throughout the rest of it's lifetime. Ultras was one of the worst comeback mechanics ever in a SF title.

Shadoken

I totally agree with all this.

I think super in-depth tutorials sound great on paper, but can easily become a huge task to actually design in-game. The resources are better spent elsewhere, especially for games with long support where the systems and balance may change..

I also think the same.

Long ass text based Tutorials will never work. Which is why they need to come up with a mode that can teach fundamentals through say Story mode or some kind of fun challenge mode. Like why cant they "TEACH" the player through gameplay , you know like how Video games normally do. Instead of a fkin long ass manual.

Instead all we get is one round fights and some cutscenes.

myco666

I don't see how any of this stuff speaks to a game being easy to play, since you're just as likely to be on the receiving end as your opponent is. Offense being easy means defense is hard and vice versa.

Tools are more accessible since the execution is easier. This is a big reason why I think it is easy/easier to play. No need to spend bunch of hours in training mode to just being able to use basic tools such as FADC. Atleast I had way more easier time to get into this game compared to any other FG I have tried.

Mr. X

I've been playing casual for an hour without fighting someone with a US flag. This is really awful matchmaking.

Meanwhile, in Tekken

C6XWZHhVMAIICLE.jpg

V Trigger is definitely a comeback.

As is no chip on pixel HP.

Comeback mechanic is something that greatly favors the losing person over the person winning. Losing person has faster access to V trigger in most cases and doesn't take damage past a certain point.

So saying SF4 has a comeback mechanic but SFV doesn't is not really true. Plus SFV's high damage/stun output makes it a lot easier to mount a comeback in general.

Crush counters and solid use of v-skill makes V-trigger quickly accessible without losing life tho. So it actually rewards offensive, smart play than just taking a beating does. You build V-guage from successful blocks as well. So it's not really an all-in-one comeback mechanic when 3/4 ways of obtaining v-guage is due to smart play (i.e. not taking real damsmall) rather than just losing. Also, using the V-trigger doesn't automatically give you the edge either.

No chip win outside of supers isn't really a comeback mechanic either. Just mostly eliminates easy cheap victories.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
afk away!
Oh right. I forgot about time overs. Still, it's a massive prisoner's dilemma. Or tragedy of the commons, maybe. A critical mass of AFKers would need to exist for it to pay off, but for any given AFKer they're likely to be matched with someone who will beat them, resulting in nothing for them.

I suppose it would encourage more people to AFK more of the time, which may not result in much fight money being earned but would definitely pollute the player pool with AFK time-wasters.

Managed to break my win streak record after getting another breakthrough in how I play today.

(My current is actually 45; I lost the second match in this set, and then won the 3rd).

Damn dude that's godlike, guess that makes up for when you lost 700ish points to server issues.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The only thing hard about SF4 was how skewed things were in frame link tightness versus the large reversal windows and bevy of invincible reversals. Focus attack is what I'd consider one of the most convoluted mechanics ever added to the series. Ultras were lame. USF4 felt like an amateurish last effort. SF4 was great for its fanservice roster, but I really can't stand going back to actually playing it.

If you were playing SF4 at a decently high level, the prevelance of option selects was at least as much of an issue as 1-frame links.

3 frame jabs leading into really big damage was a problem as well.

Ultra 4 is definitely the most balanced version of the game, but man, slowing down throws a little, removing throw tech option select, and adding a frame buffer for all inputs and not just reversals would have given such a great game.

Spuck-uk

Banned
It's a less organic experience. Guessing isn't a cohesive mechanic.

Do a 50/50 into a 50/50 into another 50/50, hit that optimal combo. Sway back and forth at close range until you can land a throw or CC, rinse repeat. Weakened anti air options, no invincible srk, no comeback mechanic, etc.. Not to mention huge character imbalances.

SF5 is far better balanced than most versions of SF4.

It's also a lot less fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom