• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

myco666

I didn't do Extreme survival because I was convinced that Capcom would 'fix' it. And all they did was make it worse.

Just allowing for v-meter to transfer between rounds would be a significant change.

Couldn't you unpatch the game and play it offline with season 1 balance? You would lose the FM/exp bonus from this but if you really want the trophy could be worth a shot.

Village

Nothing but Uriens and Guiles in bronze

There are also a lot of people who are much higher than bronze and silver starting new accounts trying to .. i guess relieve glory or something

Or trying new characters, and because the ranking system isn't character specific like it should be, they have to go through ranking again just to get matched up with someone on their level that would allow them to learn said character

Producer

getting to diamond is a struggle. You can win 5 games in a row and lose one to a plat player and you're back where you started

Yazzees

spent some time with my younger brother and his friends today and came to the chilling realization that a lot of teenage gamers nowadays do not recognize sf2 characters

If alex is weights then using Fang is like training under 100G gravity and becoming a super Saiyan who surpassed super Saiyan.
The difference is that with Fang he's only been bad since about a year ago. Alex is the true long haul. He has been bad since the days of Bill Clinton. Let that sink in.

ElFly

so what's the consensus on kolin?

broken char? balanced? another akuma who has some good tools but her other stuff sucks so much it is hard to use?

FluxWaveZ

Weird, what happened to Wolfkrone? He was Master rank at some point, but now I see that he's gone all the way down to Super Diamond. Maybe the RQ penalties really hurt him, haha.

so what's the consensus on kolin?

broken char? balanced? another akuma who has some good tools but her other stuff sucks so much it is hard to use?

Pretty early to say for sure. She has a lot of tools and I think she is good, but she lacks damage and her frame trap game is just alright. She's pretty technical and setup dependent.

MCD250

Apparently using boost mode on PS4 Pro can cut down several seconds of loading time in SFV. Guess I'll have to try it when I get home.

The difference is that with Fang he's only been bad since about a year ago. Alex is the true long haul. He has been bad since the days of Bill Clinton. Let that sink in.
In fighting games, the goal of every match is to reduce your opponent's health to 0.

In regards to this absolute basic requirement, Alex is better than FANG. Alex still has a command grab, and still has mixups.

Alex can also make a comeback with his V-Trigger.

You can afford to make a few mistakes as Alex, but you HAVE to play perfectly with FANG to get a win. Just try playing Alex vs FANG for a long set and see how that goes.

I can be playing successful keepaway for 50 seconds, and Alex can get in ONCE and with the right guesses be able to close the round from there.

Edzi

In fighting games, the goal of every match is to reduce your opponent's health to 0.

In regards to this absolute basic requirement, Alex is better than FANG. Alex still has a command grab, and still has mixups.

Alex can also make a comeback with his V-Trigger.

You can afford to make a few mistakes as Alex, but you HAVE to play perfectly with FANG to get a win. Just try playing Alex vs FANG for a long set and see how that goes.

I can be playing successful keepaway for 50 seconds, and Alex can get in ONCE and with the right guesses be able to close the round from there.

Getting in on a good FANG with Alex can feel impossible. One knockdown and Alex could potentially take the match, though that's kinda how the whole game works tbh.

Oh, and a hilarious thing I noticed is that Alex can punish FANG's trap on reaction with st. HK. I think it trades, but still lol

This actually turned out nicer than expected, and it replaced default, which I never use anyway.
preview_by_khaledantar666-db1qch0.jpg

Shadoken

Just try playing Alex vs FANG for a long set and see how that goes..

Thats not really a fair way to check character strength tho. That particular matchup could be in one characters favor. But their tier placement is based on overall matchups.
Also FANG can play pretty aggressive too. Its not like he is a pure zoner. Especially in a game like SFV , if you just keep zoning you will lose.

I hit Super Platinum the other day and the game seems to be placing me against more Diamond and up players. I beat a Diamond and an Ultra Diamond right after and now I'm going to quit for the night before I blow all my good luck.

Thats not really a fair way to check character strength tho. That particular matchup could be in one characters favor. But their tier placement is based on overall matchups.

Also FANG can play pretty aggressive too.
Most of FANG's offense is based off of frametraps which can easily be dealt with by just not pressing a button.

Even if you look at overall matchups, the higher damage output alone makes a lot of matchups more "doable" as Alex than it does FANG.

If FANG's poison output or keepaway game was better then yes I'd say they're on equal footing tier wise but Alex still has a slight advantage in a lot of matchups, especially considering the offensive nature of this game. Granted it's still a pretty small advantage but it is there.

And you're telling the FANG player how fang plays lol.
This actually turned out nicer than expected, and it replaced default, which I never use anyway.
This looks AMAZING.

Shadoken

Most of FANG's offense is based off of frametraps which can easily be dealt with by just not pressing a button.

Even if you look at overall matchups, the higher damage output alone makes a lot of matchups more "doable" as Alex than it does FANG.

If FANG's poison output or keepaway game was better then yes I'd say they're on equal footing tier wise but Alex still has a slight advantage in a lot of matchups, especially considering the offensive nature of this game. Granted it's still a pretty small advantage but it is there.

And you're telling the FANG player how fang plays lol.

I mean you wouldn't really know unless you played both characters at their peak strengths. Having more damage might not be useful if its harder to get in ( like S1 Gief )

And against me (Nash) Most fangs play really aggressive since they cant zone me out. I am guessing he plays the same against other characters who can out zone him.

Also that was a just a general SFV thing , not related to FANG. But If you only play pure zoning i dont think its gonna work out ( Unless the matchup dictates as such ). The meta is such that it rewards offensive play. So even if you are a zoner , you need to go in every now and then. So saying Alex is better because he is an offensive character isnt a fair argument.

Btw regarding FANGs offense , does he have legit 50/50s if you let him setup his cloud/fireball with his teleport? or is that a gimmick. That shit annoys me every time i randomly run in to him lol.

Edit : But yea Fang might be worse than Alex ,but I dont think its that big. I just said playing Alex Vs Fang to determine character strength isn't right. Nash can hold up against Guile, he isnt anywhere near guile tho lmao.

Village

Matches playing kolin against laura is super weird.

Its like you are playing the reverse version of the character you are playing.

____

Other SF related things, I took it as a challenge to individually replace every stage and character theme, because I wanted to find good remixes or good versions of the themes or something just generally fitting for the character. I found really good remixes for a lot of folks, I ended up using remixes of alpha 3 themes for rog and birdie.

For Kolin and FANG I recently found two very good themes. The kolin theme being a concept for gill someone made up, and Fang being an acoustic version. I'm deciding if i'm going to use this smooth version of " good fighter" for ryu

I mean you wouldn't really know unless you played both characters at their peak strengths.

And against me (Nash) Most fangs play really aggressive since they cant zone me out. I am guessing he plays the same against other characters who can out zone him.

Also that was a just a general SFV thing , not related to FANG. But If you only play pure zoning i dont think its gonna work out ( Unless the matchup dictates as such ). The meta is such that it rewards offensive play. So even if you are a zoner , you need to go in every now and then. So saying Alex is better because he is an offensive character isnt a fair argument. I feel like his offense is not that scary at all.

Btw regarding FANGs offense , does he have legit 50/50s if you let him setup his cloud/fireball with his teleport? or is that a gimmick. That shit annoys me every time i randomly run in to him lol.
Not a 50/50, FANG players ALWAYS know which side it's gonna end up on.

The only situation where it can be difficult for the defender to guess is when he does fireballs and cancels into EX dash on wakeup. It's still doable but difficult because the payoff for that is just 2 fireball hits so most FANG players will exclusively use it for closing out the round.

As for the trap setups, they've recently made it so that if done after most hard knockdowns (cr.hk, back throw) it can now hit meaty. But the way to know if he's going to change directions is the speed of the dash and how late he does it. If it's REALLY slow and he's still a distance away from you, not a cross up. It doesn't actually cross up until the dash is almost complete so that's something to keep in mind.

Also know that his cloud goes away if you hit FANG even the EX one, which also applies to wakeup options. so if you get a jump in on him while the trap is out, it goes away and same for if you DP through a trap.

It's tough to describe in text, a video would be much better for showing off different setups, I'm sure there are a lot available on youtube. I can tell you some more specific things like which buttons or techniques you can challenge or which aren't worth punishing or some character specific stuff if you want.

My personal favourite setup is what I call the "no setup" setup. I get a cr.hk CC, then do a medium trap ( That is confirmed to hit meaty) then I dash forward and throw. Because of the dash forward, the trap won't hit them meaty because I moved them forward but my THROW is meaty so it'll beat any buttons. The only way to counter it is to specifically throw tech but most people just always assume that the trap is going to hit meaty so they never even try. Great tech to get an advantageous position in the corner or to just get some damage in.

EDIT: And man, it sucks how bad they nerfed Nash :( It was always such a fun matchup for me, both as FANG and as Birdie. The only thing that annoyed me was even some poorly spaced medium scythes could sometimes not be punishable but that was pretty much it. They really went at him with a hammer to the legs.

Shadoken

Not a 50/50, FANG players ALWAYS know which side it's gonna end up on.

The only situation where it can be difficult for the defender to guess is when he does fireballs and cancels into EX dash on wakeup. It's still doable but difficult because the payoff for that is just 2 fireball hits so most FANG players will exclusively use it for closing out the round.

As for the trap setups, they've recently made it so that if done after most hard knockdowns (cr.hk, back throw) it can now hit meaty. But the way to know if he's going to change directions is the speed of the dash and how late he does it. If it's REALLY slow and he's still a distance away from you, not a cross up. It doesn't actually cross up until the dash is almost complete so that's something to keep in mind.

Also know that his cloud goes away if you hit FANG even the EX one, which also applies to wakeup options. so if you get a jump in on him while the trap is out, it goes away and same for if you DP through a trap.

It's tough to describe in text, a video would be much better for showing off different setups, I'm sure there are a lot available on youtube. I can tell you some more specific things like which buttons or techniques you can challenge or which aren't worth punishing or some character specific stuff if you want.

My personal favourite setup is what I call the "no setup" setup. I get a cr.hk CC, then do a medium trap ( That is confirmed to hit meaty) then I dash forward and throw. Because of the dash forward, the trap won't hit them meaty because I moved them forward but my THROW is meaty so it'll beat any buttons. The only way to counter it is to specifically throw tech but most people just always assume that the trap is going to hit meaty so they never even try. Great tech to get an advantageous position in the corner or to just get some damage in.

Yea I was looking up some vids. It looks like CC Sweep is the only thing that leads to most hard situations.

Is backroll usually the best option otherwise?

Yea I was looking up some vids. It looks like CC Sweep is the only thing that leads to most hard situations.

Is backroll usually the best option otherwise?

Usually yes, but some players with good reactions might have a setup for that too and will adjust appropriately. Though you usually have to commit to a setup for either regular or back wakeup.

Depends on how high level the player is.

MCD250

Goddamn at playing some of these people with crap connections. It's either shit getting rolled back constantly, animations becoming so choppy you can't even see what the hell people are doing, or frame data becoming so jumbled a sweep somehow beats a medium normal when you're supposed to be plus.

Goddamn at playing some of these people with crap connections. It's either shit getting rolled back constantly, animations becoming so choppy you can't even see what the hell people are doing, or frame data becoming so jumbled a sweep somehow beats a medium normal when you're supposed to be plus.

Why pay

mcdonald_0.jpg

when you can get your internet for free?

MCD250

Losing to crap internet is more discouraging than getting random'd out by Laura or whoever tbh. And when you get a bunch of crap internets in a row...sheesh.

Shadoken

Usually yes, but some players with good reactions might have a setup for that too and will adjust appropriately. Though you usually have to commit to a setup for either regular or back wakeup.

Depends on how high level the player is.

Yea lol I was looking at vids for backroll too. but they have to commit to it tho.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Goddamnit Capcom let me search for battle lounges that only have 2 spots. I'm not trying to spend my few precious moments of Street Fighter time watching someone else play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom