• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video.

Taylor's model actually fits Guile's animations pretty well. When's Abel as Alex?.

It's now been done.

RazxMXT.jpg

Some more screenshots.

MCD250

edit: oops, I mistook a EX Kunai for a bomb, haha, ignore me!
Heh, that actually happened to me too during the Xian/Du match (I think). I was like what, didn't he use both of his bombs already? Took me a minute to realize.

If Ibuki had three bombs she'd probably be in the running for best character in the game tbh.

Neoxon

Man, Xian really got my group hype with all of the mix-ups he pulled off. Props to him for winning the first CPT event, & I look forward to seeing him at future events. A shame about his F.A.N.G, but his Ibuki still brings the hype.

Sayad

Yeah, it was bad timing from my part, as there was indeed around 18 characters in Top 8.

It just happened that Romance and Go1 ran similar teams, and I could only watch this match.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kof/comments/5yu1mr/final_round_top_8_character_composition/
4 Mais in top 8 means she potentially could have been in every single top 8 match! That's sort of a problem with team based games though, there's more room to pick top-tiers fillers to complement your team.

Daigo was playing Guile in casuals. End of an era? But then again, the balance patch could fix a ton of shit for Ryu, so...

Meanwhile Chris T is trying to act like Ken is anywhere near as bad as Ryu. Like homeboy didn't place because his character is bad, not because he is bad. Momo and Eita are far, far better than him and seeing him whine triggers me.

Tokido had it rough with back to back matches of what are probably his most difficult matchups.

EX air fireball makes the gief matchup a lot more tolerable as it makes gief question on Akuma jump ins. That doesn't work against flashkicks, lol.

Yeah, I saw him try to do that. At least, at one point, it was more because Du hopped in the middle of it lol

Also that rushdown on Gief. No fear.

Yeah, it was bad timing from my part, as there was indeed around 18 characters in Top 8.

It just happened that Romance and Go1 ran similar teams, and I could only watch this match.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kof/comments/5yu1mr/final_round_top_8_character_composition/

I mean, that isn't to say the game does or doesn't have a balance problem. I have no idea, actually! I do wish more people would play it. Might see more characters being used that way, you know?

"Buh-buh-buh-buh-kof is the rightful fighting game goty fuck you capcom!" - people who play neither kof or sf on gaf gaming side

What does what Hyun Sai said have to do with that?

Less variety in the top tiers doesn't somehow make that game any less feature complete or more balanced in general as compared to SF5.

Hyun Sai

4 Mais in top 8 means she potentially could have been in every single top 8 match! That's sort of a problem with team based games though, there's more room to pick top-tiers fillers to complement your team.

Yeah, that's why Ratio tournaments happened in KoF to promote character variety.

I mean, that isn't to say the game does or doesn't have a balance problem. I have no idea, actually! I do wish more people would play it. Might see more characters being used that way, you know?

We can only hope, but with how the online search is still buggy and not well thought, the opportunity of attracting new blood was lost long ago :(

Less variety in the top tiers doesn't somehow make that game any less feature complete or more balanced in general as compared to SF5.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't bother respond to that, my intention was not to stir another pointless war, so I'll leave it at that.

Shadoken

For top 32 we had
CAMMY,CHUN,ibuki,guile,mika,balrog,rashid,laura,ken,zangief,Akuma, dhalsim, Birdie and maybe Urien.
Maybe i missed some.
It's an improvement from s1 but Capcom​ can still make the other characters more viable.
Wait what ?

Final Round last year had 13 unique characters in Top 32 when the size of the rosterwas just 16 characters.

Season 2 has double the roster and still the same number of unique chars.

MrCarter

Possibly but the you just know if that happened in SFV people would be like "OMGGG CAPCOM FIX YO BALANCE ITS SHIT WAHH" lol. Double standards really.

Wait what ?

Final Round last year had 13 unique characters in Top 32 when the size of the rosterwas just 16 characters.

There's 24 characters not 32. Plus Kolin was recently released so we wouldn't see her at events just yet.

Hyun Sai

Possibly but the you just know if that happened in SFV people would be like "OMGGG CAPCOM FIX YO BALANCE ITS SHIT WAHH" lol. Double standards really.

You must have missed the Bird complaints (and else) of KoF XIV pre patch in its community, so the double standard is pretty bullshit.

MrCarter

You must have missed the Bird complaints (and else) of KoF XIV pre patch in its community, so the double standard is pretty bullshit.

Nope heard it. All I'm saying is if we saw a repeat of characters in SFV like we do in KoF all hell would have broken loose. The hyperbole would have been off the roof.

Hyun Sai

Nope heard it. All I'm saying is if we saw a repeat of characters in SFV like we do in KoF all hell would have broken loose. The hyperbole would have been off the roof.

And with good reasons :

1 : it's not a team based game, so 4 or 5 same characters in a Top 8 would be even more awkward.

2 : Bigger community, complaints are much more vocals than niche games.

Whatever the game, the community is no less harsh and those games don't "get a pass". On stream at final round, the Jack Army jokes in Tekken 7 were becoming a meme.

This game does have a balance issue. People pick characters that can keep on the offensive while giving no breathing room. I've seen hit ex reversal too many times because regular reversal have been nerfed and don't expect them spending meter. The only one i have seen block was Fuddo against Du.

Meanwhile KI was the opposite

Wait what ?

There were 13 unique characters out of 16 in Top 32 last year, and 18 out of 24 in Top 32 this year. Both results are in line with what you'd expect by chance alone, if we assume that each character is equally likely to be played by a Top 32 player.

HiResDes

Man I really think K-Brad played out of his mind, people talk a lot of shit about how good Cammy is but she's one of the characters where footsies and neutral really need to be top notch to make her shine. Hopefully she doesn't get nerfed because she's really not as OP as much as the players that are making it far are quite skilled. I'd still claim just outside the top five. Also while it might be fun too watch, I would like to see zoning actually become somewhat viable again, I'm still for resetting the white life regeneration to season 1 speed.

NotLiquid

As a diehard Ibuki fan, I honestly didn't expect Xian to take Final Round, so my friend and I made a bet where I promised I'd pick SFV back up if he won.

I regret nothing.

Man I really think K-Brad played out of his mind, people talk a lot of shit about how good Cammy is but she's one of the characters where footsies and neutral really need to be top notch to make her shine. Hopefully she doesn't get nerfed because she's really not as OP as much as the players that are making it far are quite skilled. I'd still claim just outside the top five. Also while it might be fun too watch, I would like to see zoning actually become somewhat viable again, I'm still for resetting the white life regeneration to season 1 speed.

you on the downplay wagon too des?

This game does have a balance issue. People pick characters that can keep on the offensive while giving no breathing room. I've seen hit ex reversal too many times because regular reversal have been nerfed and don't expect them spending meter. The only one i have seen block was Fuddo against Du.

The only balance issue this game has is the community.

2 Dhalsims in top 24, but no Uriens. A Ryu in top 32. No Boxers or Uriens in top 16. 2 "nerfed" Mikas in top 8. Even one non-Xian FANG in top 64.

Community is way too impatient.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

But...that's almost every character in this game!? And Guile, one of the more defensive oriented characters, did really well.

Skilletor

This logic is top tier logic.

HardRojo

Mika is still really good, she was ridiculous in S1 in the sense that there was way too much guessing on the opponent's side from any part of the screen, now there's still a lot of guessing, but some stuff has been toned down. Mika is completely viable.

Skilletor

Mika is still really good, she was ridiculous in S1 in the sense that there was way too much guessing on the opponent's side from any part of the screen, now there's still a lot of guessing, but some stuff has been toned down. Mika is completely viable.

Mika is actually fun to watch now. Before it was just clap into bullshit. Now she has to neutral.

Of course, this was Fuudo's Mika, so that probably changes my perception a bit.

Hyun Sai

I agree, Mika is much more fun to watch. Before I died a little whenever someone was hit by fishing claps out of nowhere and put in the corner. Those finals were entertaining.

Why do people keep putting asterisks on "nerfed" or saying that the character was "supposedly" nerfed? Regardless of where you think she is in the tier list right now, are these people unable to properly interpret patch notes?

Maybe they seem to think that she wasn't nerfed hard enough?

FluxWaveZ

Fuudo has unquestionably the best Mika, right? Du's looked so weak in comparison.

Can't make that kind of conclusion based on the result of a mirror, if that's what you're referring to. Fuudo has a very different style, though, and it's one that is better suited to the Mika mirror than Du's.

MCD250

Fuudo was always a little different than most Mikas in that he always played a little more measured and with an eye towards fundamentals and the ground game. This was contrast with the more popular Marn style of Mika play which revolved around the clap and constantly trying to put people in a blender. When they largely nullified that aspect of Mika's game plan it seemed like almost everyone decided to drop her, while Fuudo just stayed cleaning up. It was really great to watch him do his thing at FR.

Can't make that kind of conclusion based on the result of a mirror, if that's what you're referring to. Fuudo has a very different style, though, and it's one that is better suited to the Mika mirror than Du's.

If that's the case, I wonder why he decided to go with Mika in the last game. He did way better with Guile.

I ended up missing all of top 8 since my wife went into labor around 5pm. Good news is she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.

How good is Xian Ibuki? Do you think any of it has to do with top players not having experience against I nuking in the hands of a player as skilled as Xian? I hope to be able to catch top 8 sometime this week once we are back home. Can't wait for the Ibuki army online until the next major.

I ended up missing all of top 8 since my wife went into labor around 5pm. Good news is she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.

How good is Xian Ibuki? Do you think any of it has to do with top players not having experience against I nuking in the hands of a player as skilled as Xian? I hope to be able to catch top 8 sometime this week once we are back home. Can't wait for the Ibuki army online until the next major.

Congrats man!

Xian's Ibuki might be the strongest one so far. He was doing setups that I haven't seen before. Dirty. A lot of people are gonna give him shit for popping v-trigger, but he was playing solid the whole time, even meeting Fuudo in the air.

Nemo also details why his Ibuki was so good:

https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/841228309170180096

mbpm1

Congrats man!

Xian's Ibuki might be the strongest one so far. He was doing setups that I haven't seen before. Dirty. A lot of people are gonna give him shit for popping v-trigger, but he was playing solid the whole time, even meeting Fuudo in the air.

Nemo also details why his Ibuki was so good:

https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/841228309170180096

that was my impression as well.

Also letting Xian hold on to meter is bad, V or EX. If he has both it's basically Gen's Super > Ultra again.

Getting him to spend it is ideal

MCD250

Yo, congrats!

Mr. X

Capcom did good if best character Urien isn't even a factor in larger than most tourney setting.

You guys should maybe practice the matchup and really dissect it. I know asking for nerfs on GAF is easier.

Capcom did good if best character Urien isn't even a factor in larger than most tourney setting.

You guys should maybe practice the matchup and really dissect it. I know asking for nerfs on GAF is easier.

Hopefully they buff Laura and Urien so they can place at CPT events

Another reason why I think they should let more bigger tournaments happen before doing another patch. Tbh tho Season 2 is kinda just feeling like a loke test ever since they announced that they were going to do another balance change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom