• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

Capcom did good if best character Urien isn't even a factor in larger than most tourney setting.

You guys should maybe practice the matchup and really dissect it. I know asking for nerfs on GAF is easier.

Ryu needed nerfs and there were only three notable people using him for S1.

That logic doesn't pan out.

(they overnerfed ryu, tho)

Urien has a bunch of stupid shit like EX tackle being 0 on block, c.mk being +2.

I ended up missing all of top 8 since my wife went into labor around 5pm. Good news is she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.

How good is Xian Ibuki? Do you think any of it has to do with top players not having experience against I nuking in the hands of a player as skilled as Xian? I hope to be able to catch top 8 sometime this week once we are back home. Can't wait for the Ibuki army online until the next major.

Congrats, man!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Laura: 801Strider was so impressive this weekend. I really don't understand how you get to this level without travelling or online grinding. He lost to Fuudo and KBrad, but those were pretty close matches.

So what happened to Mike Ross? Did he win a single match?
49th out of what, 500 people? And he got DQ'd in winner's, too.

Speaking of Laura: 801Strider was so impressive this weekend. I really don't understand how you get to this level without travelling or online grinding. He lost to Fuudo and KBrad, but those were pretty close matches.

801Strider was in a weird spot last year with not being able to find a character that fit him. He started off with Laura in S1 but she wasn't good enough. He usually picks grapplers so he waited for Alex and lol wasn't viable either. Went the top tier route with Ryu/Cammy and they both didn't mesh with him.

then he ended up on Mika and started placing a lot better than he did throughout the whole season.

He's been grinding ranked a lot with Laura since the start of S2 though, not sure if he enters any weeklies or any other tournaments outside of CPT.

His matches with both Fuudo & Kbrad were both unfortunate close losses. The Kbrad matches vs him & Wolfkrone both show off how bad she can get mauled when it's up close.

His match vs Justin came down to Justin having a big execution error which cost him the match. Justin dropped like two jf tenko's which both hurt a lot.

Skilletor

His match vs Justin came down to Justin having a big execution error which cost him the match. Justin dropped like two jf tenko's which both hurt a lot.

Wong's execution in this game has been surprising to me. His footsies and spacing are all Wong-tier, but in S1 he hadn't optimized Karin at all, and he had a few moments like this during final round that was surprising.

Just crazy to me to see somebody so godlike at marvel miss something pretty easy in SF5. Tourney nerves are a thing, I know, just...interesting, I guess.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh right, Justin dropped an easy game winning combo against him. I was actually watching the youtube video of that and knew Strider won, but it didn't make sense because Justin was up 1 match and one round and had like a 70% lead. Nope, still lost lol.

Justin's Karin is really disappointing. It barely improved for like the last 6 months. I know he tried to implement new stuff like st.mp confirms, but it's not really working in actual high level matches.
I feel like Kbrad is using Justin's style better than he does himself.

Wong's execution in this game has been surprising to me. His footsies and spacing are all Wong-tier, but in S1 he hadn't optimized Karin at all, and he had a few moments like this during final round that was surprising.

Just crazy to me to see somebody so godlike at marvel miss something pretty easy in SF5. Tourney nerves are a thing, I know, just...interesting, I guess.

Yea Justin's neutral game with Karin is unmatched but his execution with her needs to be a bit better and his optimization needs to be a bit more refined.

Karin does chunks of damage with ex tenko -> ex orochi after certain combos but he never really goes for them.

MCD250

Most underrated dude in top 8 for me was Verloren (and not just because he plays Cammy). Kbrad had the better hit confirms and whiff punishes, but Verloren was just fearless while being pressured, and eventually forced Kbrad to respect him more as a result. I knew he was solid from watching him online but I was really impressed with him here.

DR2K

Banned
Balance changes do not effect top, mid, bottom level players across the board evenly. Everyone else undermining the abilities of Nuclkudu and Fuudo because they were able to get far with X character is a bit dismissive.

The game was intentionally designed to be balanced with community feedback in mind, and not the nerf them to oblivion route taken in season 2. I'm only going by what Capcom advertised.

they should get rid of some characters
the low tier ones

Ryu, FANG, Vega, and Alex aren't.

Go1's Chun took out the best Rog.
Momo's Ken took out a Master level Rog.
Art's Sim was bopping Cammy's left and right until he got molly wopped.
Problem X did some damage with Birdie as well.

I think if the last four that I listed were able to receive a few buffs, they could totally do what the above does in some situations or matchups. This game is a few swings away from doing that tbh.

Edit: Oh, and Juri might need some work. Nash, maybe a little as well. But for the most part, system changes can swing things back in their favor.

MCD250

I'd really, really like Juri to be good in this game.

I probably won't ever main her or whatever, I just think she's a dope-ass character and I'd like to see her in more tournaments.

Buff her. Make her V-Trigger a two bar or something, I dunno. But do something with her.

HardRojo

Mika is actually fun to watch now. Before it was just clap into bullshit. Now she has to neutral.

Of course, this was Fuudo's Mika, so that probably changes my perception a bit.

That fucking clap! I hated how much priority it had, it was ridiculous. And yeah, Fuudo's Mika is unquestionably the best, his confirms are on point, it's just incredible to see great he is with the character.

MrCarter

I'd really, really like Juri to be good in this game.

I probably won't ever main her or whatever, I just think she's a dope-ass character and I'd like to see her in more tournaments.

Buff her. Make her V-Trigger a two bar or something, I dunno. But do something with her.

I sometimes forget she's in SFV. That's how good she is lol.

mbpm1

I feel like Juri can become top tier very easily. Maybe that's why they're not giving her much.

On the other hand, fuck it, make Juri top tier. Give her the properties of rashido's spinning mixer on her pinwheel and let her dp not trade

ElFly

so how about them server maintenance times

it has become p frequent lately, and they surely cannot have that much load lately

Meanwhile sometime last week while I was playing Rainbow 6 Siege they had to pull some server maintenance, had an updating timer in-game for when it would start, and it finished within the hour. It was... refreshing seeing something handled the way it should be? I really don't see any conceivable reason for SF5 to be down for 8-10 hours every maintenance cycle.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Meanwhile sometime last week while I was playing Rainbow 6 Siege they had to pull some server maintenance, had an updating timer in-game for when it would start, and it finished within the hour. It was... refreshing seeing something handled the way it should be? I really don't see any conceivable reason for SF5 to be down for 8-10 hours every maintenance cycle.
The pre-Alpha Unreal Tournament has a very similar locked-into-your-nickname system, but they suddenly used a different one for me so I requested a change. It took about 2 minutes after filling out an online form.

On the other hand I requested the same thing for SFV in july, asked again in october (and got a positive response) and I still have the old one.

ElFly

the huge maintenance and upgrade times are probably indicative of, well, incompetence

I feel bad saying this but I've been in overnight installs of online stores a few years ago and most of that time had been spent in the users running tests manually, and it still was shorter than SFV maintenance times, we only took all night if something went profoundly wrong and we had a lot of time to spare in that whole night. and that project was a disaster in every way and automatizing those tests would have been an herculean job

to be fair to them, maybe they are doing backups, or restoring backups (at least once a maintenance introduced a bug that was fixed by rolling back to the previous version of the server) but I cannot help suspect they are running tests v slowly (also at least a couple of times the servers have been up earlier, indicating they felt everything went right and opened up the servers before they had estimated)

the IT industry is moving to minimizing deploy times as much as possible and 8-10 hours is a symptom of the old practices of installing things by hand and then testing every component one by one, instead of having a single script that does all the job and you just get a success or failure at the end

New official, inarguable tier list:

sdfsdfjvs1l.png

Supreme
Awesome
Barely OK
Capcpom

Edzi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";231988412]New official, inarguable tier list:

sdfsdfjvs1l.png

Supreme
Awesome
Barely OK
Capcpom[/QUOTE]

Capcpom indeed. I think all Alex needs are some faster normals for footsies though, he's close to not being bottom tier.

Necaili is way too low that dude is still gorilla strong

Yeah Necalli is in my top 5(with Ibuki, but it's close with gief) but he's not better than any of my top 3. My setup for the tier list is basically Dominant -> Highly Competitive -> Competitive -> Capcpom

I think the tiers are a lot closer than most people give them credit for. Unless you play FANG or Nash.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";231989332]Yeah Necalli is in my top 5(with Ibuki, but it's close with gief) but he's not better than any of my top 3. My setup for the tier list is basically Dominant -> Highly Competitive -> Competitive -> Capcpom

I think the tiers are a lot closer than most people give them credit for. Unless you play FANG or Nash.[/QUOTE]

Or Ryu or Alex.

But other than that, yeah, it's all pretty damn close. I'm just glad yesterday wasn't an Urien Army Episode With Special Guests 18 Lauras And The Balrog Sextuplets.

Shadoken

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";231988412]New official, inarguable tier list:

sdfsdfjvs1l.png

Supreme
Awesome
Barely OK
Capcpom[/QUOTE]

Ryu should be with the bottom. I'd push Akuma down and put Rashid up to A tier.

Also the gap between B tier and C tier is quite big. Characters in B tier are still viable in tourneys. I dont think any C tier character would even make it out of pools if they face some of their bad matchups.

Edzi

I really don't think Mika is very good, Fuudo is just ridiculous. Du is just ridiculous.

Nah, Mika is fine. Her corner mixups are intact and her buttons are good enough to get her there with some work.

Ryu should be with the bottom. I'd push Akuma down and put Rashid up to A tier.

Also the gap between B tier and C tier is quite big. Characters in B tier are still viable in tourneys. I dont think any C tier character would even make it out of pools if they face some of their bad matchups.

I don't think Alex can realistically beat Chun. That matchup destroys my soul.

But...that's almost every character in this game!? And Guile, one of the more defensive oriented characters, did really well.

Most characters. But instead of keeping Nash and Ryu(Still Nerfing the J.LK, Jab AA) like they were in S1, they made really dumb changes making them go back to neutral while a character like Laura can do light shoulders every time on knockdown and still be her turn.

And that's just the surface of the problem with S2.

Shadoken

Season 2 balance is pretty bad , Season 1 wasn't so much better or anything. But S1 was pretty good considering it was the first iteration of the game. S2 is very bad after the team had so much time for feedback and player input. It feels like they listened to knee jerk complaints from early in the season rather than Pro players opinions.

Also
https://twitter.com/goldencen/status/841042603026059264

"V trigger is so smart and amazing" lmao

If the balance patch is coming tomorrow. I bet Ibuki will be untouched or get some buffs because she is bottom 10 on Eventhubs tier list along with the likes of Mika and Zangief smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom