• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it seems like most of the more active people here are East Coast, which is unfortunate.

100% sure it's not on my end.

There wasn't any lag when I faced you and that was before upgrading my internet.

Connection quality has been random. I faced a match that was unbearable but was fine after being rematch in MM.

Mr. X

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenAgitatedButterTakeNRG

Just saw this clip from NLBC and Art has a point tbh. He's better and does more for/with the community than quite a few of those Eleague players.
Yeah, they shouldn't have said anything because that's a very bad explanation. Besides Valle, no one on that last 16 list does more than Art. It's a heavy WC event and LI Joe the only EC guy looks like.

Surprised Phenom is still on the list, he's going to have a bad time entering the US.

Hyun Sai

I agree with Art. But doesn't surprise me, the whole "all european players in the same bracket" already convinced me of the shadyness of this all invitational bullshit.

Mr. X

He was, but aren't they still trying to pass the ban through?!
Even when the courts shot it down, the TSA was detaining people including Ali Jr. twice. Yes the son of THAT Muhammed Ali. Once coming back from Jamaica along with his mom, and again traveling within the US.

Speculating,

Rog/Cammy top
Laura/Urien
Guile, Chun, Gief
Karin, Rashid, Birdie, Ibuki, Nec
Bison, Akuma (???)
Rest of cast

The bottom half of the cast will probably be even-ish. The top half of the cast should be more stratified.

Nec is hard to place and we will wait and see regarding him.

Birdie will be quite a lot scarier when he can reliably EX Horn through your frame traps and heavy meaties, and anti-air far more reliably.

AtticuSMT

Banned
Legit question here.

Can't access nrogaf at work or most other game networks and forums, but for some reason I can access Reddit street fighter no problem. Throughout the last 3/4 days it's just been mostly dread and even more negativities around the new patch notes. And most people over there have their money on there not being a season 3.

Overall, I don't mean to stir the pot, but I'm curious if you guys think that there will be a stable future for SFV, I say this while I'm contemplating buying a panthera stick to replace my mad cats that's having some minor issues, plus the panthera looks amazing and people say it's pretty solid.

Pompadour

Legit question here.

Can't access nrogaf at work or most other game networks and forums, but for some reason I can access Reddit street fighter no problem. Throughout the last 3/4 days it's just been mostly dread and even more negativities around the new patch notes. And most people over there have their money on there not being a season 3.

Overall, I don't mean to stir the pot, but I'm curious if you guys think that there will be a stable future for SFV, I say this while I'm contemplating buying a panthera stick to replace my mad cats that's having some minor issues, plus the panthera looks amazing and people say it's pretty solid.

Yes, they've repeatedly and recently said they plan to continue supporting SFV for the next few years. I think it's insane to assume there won't be a Season 3.

I imagine most of those people are just mad and are expressing their hopes that SFV is doomed as facts.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They will definitely fulfil their intermediate plans. To me, that would be 3 seasons of content and updates or whatever. But after that? Who knows. All we know is that the game isn't selling well and it's impossible to judge how the DLC is doing. We don't know if they are planning rereleases or different business models either.

On the other hand they seem to have the goal to turn it into a lasting esport and might have longterm goals for their fighting games in general where immediate sales aren't as much of an issue as one might think.

Speculating,

Rog/Cammy top
Laura/Urien
Guile, Chun, Gief
Bison, Akuma (???)
Rest of cast

The bottom half of the cast will probably be even-ish. The top half of the cast should be more stratified.

Birdie will be quite a lot scarier when he can reliably EX Horn through your frame traps and heavy meaties, and anti-air far more reliably.

Calling tiers right now is a fool's errand considering we have no clue how the changes are going to impact the game. People are swinging around with wildly different lists, and until we can get some in-game data and tournaments going, it's all hearsay. The only probable call, to me at least, is that the tiers are going to be more condensed than before with the lower tiers getting more tools to worth with.

Pompadour

They will definitely fulfil their intermediate plans. To me, that would be 3 seasons of content and updates or whatever. But after that? Who knows. All we know is that the game isn't selling well and it's impossible to judge how the DLC is doing. We don't know if they are planning rereleases or different business models either.

On the other hand they seem to have the goal to turn it into a lasting esport and might have longterm goals for their fighting games in general where immediate sales aren't as much of an issue as one might think.

We can only go by what Capcom is saying and they say there's a future and they're happy with how it's doing. We have a limited view of their DLC sales as we got the numbers for the CPT bundle which did very well despite universally labeled overpriced.

I don't think Capcom is hedging SFV's future on selling more copies. It's all on eSports and DLC now. Future copies sold is just gravy.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
We can only go by what Capcom is saying and they say there's a future and they're happy with how it's doing. We have a limited view of their DLC sales as we got the numbers for the CPT bundle which did very well despite universally labeled overpriced.

I don't think Capcom is hedging SFV's future on selling more copies. It's all on eSports and DLC now. Future copies sold is just gravy.
You can't really go directly by what they say. They are a company, they will always try to portray their product in a positive light.

And I still don't understand how you make money from eSport as a game developer/publisher if it's not moving copies. I thought that's the whole point...widen your base to then sell DLC to them for a long time. But you need that first step.

That's why I mentioned business models by the way, because I can still see a f2p version of this game at some point in the future.

Skilletor

Bison is almost certainly high tier now, at least.

Yo!

So, Sandy throws this game night at her center at UCCS. There was a student there, and normally I don't play much at these things, but he had his own white HRAP 4, and he was plugging it in, so I sat down to play him. He plays GG (and KoF/SF/Tekken, but he's best at GG).

Dude is pretty good! We were going back and forth that night. He came over the next day and he was absolutely bodying me.

We've got a group of 3-4 people playing to play GG with right now. :)

Next time you're free on a weekend, should be a good time!

/offtopic

Pompadour

You can't really go directly by what they say. They are a company, they will always try to portray their product in a positive light.

And I still don't understand how you make money from eSport as a game developer/publisher if it's not moving copies. I thought that's the whole point...widen your base to then sell DLC to them for a long time. But you need that first step.

That's why I mentioned business models by the way, because I can still see a f2p version of this game at some point in the future.

I don't understand eSports either but I'm guessing it makes money if all these different companies are throwing money into it. It's clearly not just advertising for the game.

F2P is probably a safe bet. I felt Capcom realized that was the best model for a niche genre like fighting games but they sold a $60 release because, well, they're Capcom. They didn't want to leave extra money on the table.

Wallach

I don't think V-Trigger is invuln frame 1. They just made it so it doesn't stop the animation no matter what if the first hit connects.

I got the impression the first hit was the rose, not the follow-up.

Though honestly even if you remove that note entirely Vega still got some of the most significant buffs in that list. Buffed claw s.HP, a huge buff to claw c.HP, and a lot of buffs to Flying Barcelona. Being +3 OB instead of neutral after a Flying Barcelona on top of the new juggle opportunities is going to make it a lot more interesting I think and really force people to risk hitting you out of it.

Legit question here.

Depends on the success of tournaments, streaming, and DLC, but for the most part they seem committed to supporting this game long term. I'm just curious on how they're going to do it if the game doesn't reach 2 million and without a bunch of single player modes.

hertog

Speculating,

Rog/Cammy top
Laura/Urien
Guile, Chun, Gief
Bison, Akuma (???)
Rest of cast

Since bullhorn is tweaked with an input buffer and armor on frame one, it's going to be a good time holding 2 buttons in neutral.

Hyun Sai

I got the impression the first hit was the rose, not the follow-up.

Though honestly even if you remove that note entirely Vega still got some of the most significant buffs in that list. Buffed claw s.HP, a huge buff to claw c.HP, and a lot of buffs to Flying Barcelona. Being +3 OB instead of neutral after a Flying Barcelona on top of the new juggle opportunities is going to make it a lot more interesting I think and really force people to risk hitting you out of it.

Oh, I agree, pretty neat buffs, it's just that the V-Trigger stuff is a bit confusing, so we'll have to test it to be sure.

Depends on the success of tournaments, streaming, and DLC, but for the most part they seem committed to supporting this game long term. I'm just curious on how they're going to do it if the game doesn't reach 2 million and without a bunch of single player modes.

Pretty simple - you monetize the userbase you did develop (which they have, very well in fact) and pick up sponsorships & ad revenues from different companies & networks.

On the real, I have heard from a colleague connected to Capcom that things have gotten way better for SFV in terms of revenue generated & how its been developing as an esport. And they do have things in the works to keep reinvigorating SFV. Their 5 year plan for SFV ain't bullshit.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty simple - you monetize the userbase you did develop (which they have, very well in fact) and pick up sponsorships & ad revenues from different companies & networks.

On the real, I have heard from a colleague connected to Capcom that things have gotten way better for SFV in terms of revenue generated & how its been developing as an esport. And they do have things in the works to keep reinvigorating SFV. Their 5 year plan for SFV ain't bullshit.
Interesting, I never would have guessed the CPT itself would make Capcom much money, but it's a pretty well run series by now.

Do you know how the TV deals work? Do they need a Capcom licence for those?

Yo!

So, Sandy throws this game night at her center at UCCS. There was a student there, and normally I don't play much at these things, but he had his own white HRAP 4, and he was plugging it in, so I sat down to play him. He plays GG (and KoF/SF/Tekken, but he's best at GG).

Dude is pretty good! We were going back and forth that night. He came over the next day and he was absolutely bodying me.

We've got a group of 3-4 people playing to play GG with right now. :)

Next time you're free on a weekend, should be a good time!

/offtopic
Not this weekend, but next weekend? It's the start of spring break for me. :-D

mbpm1

we got a real match?

Interesting, I never would have guessed the CPT itself would make Capcom much money, but it's a pretty well run series by now.

Do you know how the TV deals work? Do they need a Capcom licence for those?

The specific economics of it? Nah, I have no idea about that. But its not like the value of sponsorship & ads wouldn't go up with the more people who watch this. And with both the EVO 2016 & CC 2016 pulling in nearly half a mill (estimated) when you combine its ESPN2 rebroadcast, it can be easy to see why other networks & big names want to get in on the action. And if you don't think that Capcom isn't getting a cut to broadcast their game on national television from networks, then you're being naive.

On the bright side, its not like the sour-launch hasn't gone unheard - I have heard that the game is getting some much-requested modes & features sometime this year at the earliest. It's not even like i'm the only one saying this; Capcom themselves have iterated this. They're just really shit when it comes to allow people to communicate on behalf of the JP devs, which is really where a lot of the communication breakdown occurs between the fans & the PR teams and faces. Trust me, if they could, they'd be giving us constant updates on the state of the game and what is coming in & where. JP developers & producers are now the quarterbacks and give the OK on what can or can't be talked about, and they aren't too chatty.

That's encouraging.
Thanks for sharing.

Neoxon

That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know.

kirblar

The E-sports thing pretty much explains why assist characters are gone for MvCI- it makes the game state much less chaotic for new viewers.

Ryce

I'm surprised Capcom hasn't been pumping out costumes more regularly. They seem to be big money makers for fighting games.

kirblar

I'm surprised Capcom hasn't been pumping out costumes more regularly. They seem to be big money makers for fighting games.
Yeah, I don't understand it either. HOTS never lets there be a content drought w/ new costumes unless they have a special promotion running to attract new users. Costumes, stages, etc- those are your moneymakers. Hell, they should be letting you buy alternate music tracks as well!

Kashiwaba

Capcom is being too quiet recently and with the 30th anniversary approaching i can assume they are planning something big (at least one can hope so lol).

Mizerman

Nice.

MrCarter

That's good, thanks for sharing. Thier e-sport side is very well executed so I hope they improve the quality of the game to match it.

tariniel

What are some things I can do to improve the netcode on PC? I'm already playing wired and get a solid 60 fps at all times, I close everything else running on my PC that I can while I'm playing SFV.

Every time I play a friend in New York (also on PC), it's rollbacky and I end up getting the lag while he says it's fine. I'm in California, is it just a distance thing? We were able to play USF4 perfectly fine.

ElFly

It s crazy that weekly matches haven't f fallen behind considering that the servers are down for maintenance so often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom