• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompadour

23_art-direction01.jpg

I kind of wish Capcom went with the realistic look in SF V. Ryu looks so fricken' bad ass in the pic on the right.

Maybe they're just saving that model for when the Prince of Persia joins Season 2.

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass to learn a new game + 3 characters. I was trying to run a Nelson, Angel, and Xanadu team that overwhelmed me (not that Xanada is hard to learn, he just sucks).

Nah I'd say Xanadu's hard to learn BECAUSE he sucks, lol. You've gotta put in so much more effort and rely more on hard reads and prediction because he lacks so many essential tools.

Sayad

The execution in kof14 is probably the easiest it's ever been.
I think it was easier in XIII, or maybe being able to cancel from far reaching normals made it appear so. Neutral game in XIV is definitely more demanding than XIII, that's for sure.

That is one thing that Netherrealm has never been good at IMO.

Only Mortal Kombat music I can actually remember is from UMK3. Can't remember shit from Injustice either.

Fortunately the PS4 has both Spotify and the ability to play media from your USB while you're playing so I'm not too miffed about that.

Honestly, I do that with SFV and most other games I spent too much time on.

Marvel

could never
I don't understand how I can play Kolin but not Karin. Kolin's execution seems more complex yet I am not daunted and am doing well (combo and muscle memory wise anyway)

Marvel

could never
I've been fighting a huge wave of Ibuki's this past few days. Refreshing.

It isn't. Karin's execution is definitely higher.
Interesting.

One day I'll set aside some time and learn her properly. I struggle to fight Karin's anyway so it needs to be done.

Exr

Nah I'd say Xanadu's hard to learn BECAUSE he sucks, lol. You've gotta put in so much more effort and rely more on hard reads and prediction because he lacks so many essential tools.
Does he have anything going for him? Was excited for the character pre launch then couldnt figure out how to use him well.

Village

23_art-direction01.jpg

I kind of wish Capcom went with the realistic look in SF V. Ryu looks so fricken' bad ass in the pic on the right.

" realistic proved hard to read during battle"

Someone explain that to to... quite frankly a large number of other fighting games
Because apparently they are doing it wrong

It is consistently more cartoonish than this Tekken knockoff.

Every character that looks realistic in a japanese style fighting game is a tekken rip off?
Better tell

Vurtua Fighter
And soul calibur
And Dead or alive

Oh wait you can make them look totally different, and you can't just magically pretend tekken is the only 3d fighter in existence. There are multiple fighters with realistic art styles that can differentiate themselves through visual design and to sit hee and pretend "realistic ryu is just tekken " is strait up ignoring that.

Oh man MKX , injustice, just looking strait up like tekken. Someone should them that

FluxWaveZ

GGs, CountBlack. Both of my "in case of emergency against Laura, choose these" characters didn't go too well... Though I might have done better with Birdie as the set went on.

GGs, CountBlack. Both of my "in case of emergency against Laura, choose these" characters didn't go too well... Though I might have done better with Birdie as the set went on.

ggs. I know Laura wins the Balrog MU but I really don't know it all too well since I haven't played it too much. I feel that even though she wins the MU, she can still get mauled instantly just like how Laura can do to Rog.

The Birdie MU I'm a bit more comfortable with though, I think it's either 5-5 or 6-4 in Laura's favour.

Against Mika, I think what gives me the most issue is that it's mostly light attacks on block so I can't really V-Reversal to try stop the pressure where as Laura's pressure is a lot of medium attacks which can be V-Reversal'd on block.

In regards to Laura's st.LK being +3 and Mika's st.LK being +1, I think both situations can be scary, but why Mika's is really strong is that she can confirm off of two lights after that into peach or she can tick throw off of 2 lights into the LP command grab. Laura is usually out of range for command grab after 2 lights on block.

Also Mika's j.LK might not have a wonky hitbox but the angle/arc on it is so good. I try to AA it but Laura moves forward then I get crossed up into combo, I try to dash under it, still get crossed up, I try to air to air, I lost all but maybe 1 time in the trade lol, so I just started blocking which ofc didn't go well.

I think Mika can still do really well against Laura. Where Laura out damages her, Mika can at least V-Reversal her pressure more consistently than I can. Also the wakeup V-Trigger tech was really strong too to make my meaties whiff then get a full punish on it.

FluxWaveZ

I think the Birdie vs. Laura MU is 5/5. Birdie has the range and tools to keep Laura away, and his V-Skill is good at controlling the area against her.

In regards to Laura's st.LK being +3 and Mika's st.LK being +1, I think both situations can be scary, but why Mika's is really strong is that she can confirm off of two lights after that into peach or she can tick throw off of 2 lights into the LP command grab. Laura is usually out of range for command grab after 2 lights on block.

What do you mean when you say "can confirm off of two lights after that into peach"? Her st.LK is +2 on hit, so she can't really follow it up with anything other than her -5 TC. You're right about it being able to lead into tic throw setups off of a subsequent light attack. Though Laura can do similar things when she has V-Trigger.

Oh wait, you mean the subsequent cr.LK > cr.LP sequence? Yeah, a meaty st.LK allows me to at least be in range for it.

Also Mika's j.LK might not have a wonky hitbox but the angle/arc on it is so good. I try to AA it but Laura moves forward then I get crossed up into combo, I try to dash under it, still get crossed up, I try to air to air, I lost all but maybe 1 time in the trade lol, so I just started blocking which ofc didn't go well.

Might be unfamiliarity with her j.LK. I go against Yomi a lot, and he deals with me anytime I'm in the air with Laura. Against you, I was jumping way more than I usually do because it was working. He often uses how Laura's hurtbox shifts during her st.MP to get out of my attack's range, throwing my timing off and then throwing me.

I think Mika can still do really well against Laura. Where Laura out damages her, Mika can at least V-Reversal her pressure more consistently than I can. Also the wakeup V-Trigger tech was really strong too to make my meaties whiff then get a full punish on it.

I really hate the MU against Laura with Mika, it's why I'm trying to find other characters I might have a better time in it with. I never feel comfortable in it, and one mistake gets punished way harder than it does against other characters. I am forced to find tech like that V-Trigger one for Laura's setups, which is pretty good.

I think the Birdie vs. Laura MU is 5/5. Birdie has the range and tools to keep Laura away, and his V-Skill is good at controlling the area against her.

Yea Birdie can control the match well, I get what you're saying.
What do you mean when you say "can confirm off of two lights after that into peach"? Her st.LK is +2 on hit, so she can't really follow it up with anything other than her -5 TC. You're right about it being able to lead into tic throw setups off of a subsequent light attack. Though Laura can do similar things when she has V-Trigger.

Oh wait, you mean the subsequent cr.LK > cr.LP sequence? Yeah, a meaty st.LK allows me to at least be in range for it.
Oh so you can only do the st.LK -> cr.LK -> cr.LP on meaty st.LK's? So say after a cross up j.LK you wouldn't be able to get all those normals off on block?
Might be unfamiliarity with her j.LK. I go against Yomi a lot, and he deals with me anytime I'm in the air with Laura. Against you, I was jumping way more than I usually do because it was working. He often uses how Laura's hurtbox shifts during her st.MP to get out of my attack's range, throwing my timing off and then throwing me.

Yea I might've been going for the wrong air to air's when I saw them coming.

I really hate the MU against Laura with Mika, it's why I'm trying to find other characters I might have a better time in it with. I never feel comfortable in it, and one mistake gets punished way harder than it does against other characters. I am forced to find tech like that V-Trigger one for Laura's setups, which is pretty good.
Yea I can understand not liking it from your perspective. I don't really like it still either lol but at least I don't feel as helpless as I did in S1.

FluxWaveZ

Oh so you can only do the st.LK -> cr.LK -> cr.LP on meaty st.LK's? So say after a cross up j.LK you wouldn't be able to get all those normals off on block?

st.LK will only be a true combo into cr.LK if it hits meaty in its last active frame or something. If you mean getting all of those on block, I think it'd work whenever, but I need to be right up on the opponent. I think it could work after a cross-up j.LK, too.

Laura and Mika have the same general approach, but what scares me a lot is that I need to also take risks, but with less health. The 950 HP is really felt in the match-up.

st.LK will only be a true combo into cr.LK if it hits meaty in its last active frame or something. If you mean getting all of those on block, I think it'd work whenever, but I need to be right up on the opponent. I think it could work after a cross-up j.LK, too.

Laura and Mika have the same general approach, but what scares me a lot is that I need to also take risks, but with less health. The 950 HP is really felt in the match-up.

Yea I get what you mean. Tell me whenever you're down to play again, I want to get more comfortable in that MU.

Does he have anything going for him? Was excited for the character pre launch then couldnt figure out how to use him well.

I mean, he's got half-decent oki and his running command grab can be used for tick setups but other than that he's a slow, clumsy character who struggles REALLY hard in a game where having good neutral is what separates the good from the bad.

Village

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";232760271]Best voice is Urien's japanese voice. It's a cross between a yakuza and Dio Brando. It's so good. Especially with color 13.[/QUOTE]

I like uriens english too much

My man sounds like the 2nd in command guy trying to take over the 1st in commands place. The only way he could sound more like that is if he was voiced by starscream

Marvel

could never
Bison's ENG VO is God-Like as always and my favorite. But the JPN voice sounds cooler when you activate his V-Trig. Quite like how short it sounds.

MCD250

I think both of Urien's voices are great. They're both really good at communicating his arrogant smarminess.

I like Japanese Mika. English Mika, eh...not so much.

Both of Mika's voices are awful

BOOOOOOOO to you, english Mika's the best

But yeah, the only characters I have set to Jpn is probably only Ryu, Ken, Bison, Akuma, and Ibuki.

Everyone else is fine enough in English.

And Urien's super Cartoony English voice is the best.

"Heaven and Earth TREMBLE!!"

It shows perfectly how dumb and ridiculous Urien actually is.

Got bodied. Not really fair to go up against Problem first round after byes, sob.

Need to ease off with the big slow buttons and be willing to play slower.

Skab

Wakamoto Bison is the only must have JP voice. And I say that as someone who likes his eng voice. Wakamoto is just that bad ass.

His Bison laugh is god tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom