• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah the good ol days. What used to cost for the entire cast (20USD) can now only get you 5 costumes...
What a fuckin joke.

Ah the good old days, when we had to buy another disc to keep playing the most updated version of the game.

Ah, the good old days when you couldn't earn characters and costumes for free.

Don't selectively pick and choose what the "good old days" entailed.

People's complaints about the good old days during the good old days brought us here. And, quite frankly, in the long run, this system will be better.

Village

Ah the good old days, when we had to buy another disc to keep playing the most updated version of the game.

People's complaints about the good old days during the good old days brought us here. And, quite frankly, in the long run, this system will be better.
You can't earn your characters costumes for free now, and considering the huge gaps in the versions of the game, unlike with arksys, I didn't mind it.

Maybe people prefer different things.

Bigg_Oggy

The costumes I want aren't free though... :(

I wasn't aware that there were complaints about how to purchase costumes in SFIV. It would make sense for Capcom to respond with "okay, we'll make it a la carte instead". Which is fine. Buy one costume (or 2 or 3) and be done with it...

But $4 a pop is a bit steep.

Edit: Sometimes I forget that some characters don't even get costumes...smh

Current system ain't perfect, in terms of how fighting games are done, but I prefer it. Doesn't mean we can't speak about the issues.

I think Premium Costumes should cost FM, but at double the cost or something.

Current system ain't perfect, in terms of how fighting games are done, but I prefer it. Doesn't mean we can't speak about the issues.

I think Premium Costumes should cost FM, but at double the cost or something.

That's a good compromise, I feel.

Either that or reduce the price by a buck. With 4$ per costume, I'm not even gonna consider buying a costume for a character that I don't play but with the packs they had in SF4's life, I would definitely consider it.

The bundle they offered with the Christmas costumes was certainly a step in the right direction.

What's weird is that bundle is still up, IIRC! I think it's because the Red Bull stuff is in there and they can't take it down because of that.

But yeah, 3 bucks would be much more salvageable. Or put that shit in a pack.

Guys I want your opinion on my last ranked matches since I'm learning, what's the best way to give them to you? I can't upload on youtube.
My ID on CFN is still Snakethesniper if it helps

vg260

I disagree with the bolded myself and it remains to be seen. If people don't buy the expensive costumes and don't spend any money on characters and just get the "free" ones, Capcom may not get the same kind of income to keep things going unlike when everyone paid a $15 upgrade cost plus any cheaper costumes they might buy. Are the people who only buy the base game and only get the "free" characters really helping to keep the game alive? I know a lot of people who supposedly support the game have only bought the base game, but people spending money over time is what they ultimately need for continued developer support. I don't know their finances, so I don't know for sure how this is doing, but so far it's hard to argue their decisions are working out that great.

Pompadour

I disagree with the bolded myself and it remains to be seen. If people don't buy the expensive costumes and don't spend any money on characters and just get the "free" ones, Capcom may not get the same kind of income to keep things going unlike when everyone paid a $15 upgrade cost plus any cheaper costumes they might buy. Are the people who only buy the base game and only get the "free" characters really helping to keep the game alive? I know a lot of people who supposedly support the game have only bought the base game, but people spending money over time is what they ultimately need for continued developer support. I don't know their finances, so I don't know for sure how this is doing, but so far it's hard to argue their decisions are working out that great.

I have to assume it's working because Capcom continually reaffirms their long-term support for SFV, even after GAFers said Season 1 would be cancelled halfway through due to disastrous sales and after GAFers said S2 would be cancelled due to disastrous sales.

Frankly, people think this model is going to fail SFV because they're operating on the assumption SFV is a failure at earning revenue. And I haven't seen any indication that this is true whatsoever.

Village

Yo, uh i'm looking at this Orgins of akuma comic by udon

Yung Akuma who isn't a a demon is something I need in my life , my man is wearing clothes, he's in a limo with suited mobsters. Getting deals from the yakuza, can I get this akuma in sfv?

Also make akuma's dad canon and put him in the game

Guys I want your opinion on my last ranked matches since I'm learning, what's the best way to give them to you? I can't upload on youtube.
My ID on CFN is still Snakethesniper if it helps

I think people might be able to watch your last matches searching your CFN idea, I don't know for sure though.

vg260

I have to assume it's working because Capcom continually reaffirms their long-term support for SFV, even after GAFers said Season 1 would be cancelled halfway through due to disastrous sales and after GAFers said S2 would be cancelled due to disastrous sales.

Frankly, people think this model is going to fail SFV because they're operating on the assumption SFV is a failure at earning revenue. And I haven't seen any indication that this is true whatsoever.

It's all speculation, yes. It could be doing well enough, but not as well as before or as well as they expected. Maybe it's doing well enough to continue, but not well enough to continue on the same scope they originally planned. Since no one outside knows, I'll still continue to stick to my belief that they would have been better off going a KI or MKX route with free system/balance upgrades but with $5 characters and season passes, and less pricey cosmetics. I think their model and all the interrelated decisions on game content/features/etc has hurt more than helped.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I know a lot of people are talking shit about Gootecks but I don't understand why he decided to debut the hitbox on this insanely stacked League.

Ucchedavāda;233521614 said:
My guess is marketing.
I mean, we're talking about it, no?
I know I'm late here but can someone fill me in on this "self-promotion" strategy people are talking about. I only caught one Gootecks match and heard that he went 0-7 and used a hitbox for some reason and I guess his jacket is for sale now? Is that it, just the CC brand clothing?

What's weird is that bundle is still up, IIRC! I think it's because the Red Bull stuff is in there and they can't take it down because of that.

But yeah, 3 bucks would be much more salvageable. Or put that shit in a pack.

Was the Red Bull costumes part of the pack on PS4? They weren't on Steam, and they've taken the holiday pack there.

The Holiday Costume pack isn't available on US PSN either. I think they've removed that one for good now.

I get the feeling that they might pull an overwatch and have themed costumes only available during that particular themed events. So the 2016 Halloween costumes might only be available at future Halloween events and so on.

LakeEarth

The Holiday Costume pack isn't available on US PSN either. I think they've removed that one for good now.

I get the feeling that they might pull an overwatch and have themed costumes only available during that particular themed events. So the 2016 Halloween costumes might only be available at future Halloween events and so on.

I'd be fine with "limited time only costumes" if there was a decent amount of "always available costumes", but there isn't. ESPECIALLY if you play a male character.

Csr

The potential for the street fighter franchise to be profitable with the rise of the esport scene is huge, the biggest reason for low sales numbers has been how capcom handled sfv, even if someone disagrees with that notion capcom themselves believe they made mistakes. So from that point of view it makes sense for them to try to correct the mistakes, try to earn some of the consumer trust back and try to see if they can tap into some of that potential either with sfv or with the next game in the series even if the game is not that profitable right now.

Obviously not many people are working on the game given the few costumes and that big issues exist for a very long time. i don't think they would treat a money maker like that, it seems to me they are trying to minimize the damage to the sf brand and restore consumer trust with as little money as possible.

MrCarter

I don't believe "not many people" are working on the game as, again, that's merely speculation. We have a balance update, a new stage, big CFN update, possibly a new character and more DLC costumes coming this month, and in addition to that we also have the remainder of the S2 characters and other content they have planned throughout the year - that's a lot of work.

Csr

I don't see how easy to fix issues like the game not saving training mode settings, player 2 not having rematch options and others could have existed for so many months if there was not a shortage of people working on the game. Or the nostalgia costumes or that many characters have very few costumes....

It doesn't matter how easy you "think" something is to "fix", that doesn't make it actually true.
Also things are on a priority list, player 2 rematch not being in doesn't default to low staff, it can simply be buried under a bunch of things that are more important.
Also even if you had like 50 programmers, you can't realistically have 10 different builds or some shit all with different features which you then have to merge into the main branche.

Well you can, but it's also an insanely stupid way to set up your pipeline. This means working on some "easy fix feature" you feel is top priority, means less time put into things that are higher on their own priority list.

Also shitting out costumes isn't that easy, especially since the leads have to go over them and correct them so the artstyle remains homogenous, this ofcourse also takes time away from actually building characters/animations/stages.

But yeah, come on capcom, where these easy fixes at.

Shadoken

I think Player 2 rematch not being there is because they fuked up something on a very fundamental level. No reason for them to not just fix it in the first patch. Might be a much bigger change than we think , so its buried pretty low on their priority list.

MrCarter

I don't see how easy to fix issues like the game not saving training mode settings, player 2 not having rematch options and others could have existed for so many months if there was not a shortage of people working on the game. Or the nostalgia costumes or that many characters have very few costumes....

Regardless. That's still work. It may be "easy to fix" to us but for all we know it could have taken weeks of work for them. Not sure what happened to the nostalgia costumes though as they are releasing the stage they announced along with new characters and thier story, battle and nostalgia costume too. Kolin being a prime example. It's strange how she has her nostalgia costume but not Ibuki or Alex yet.

Bigg_Oggy

low priority so 👍 can live
The thumbs up has added a new set of mind games to SFV.

Do you 👍 first or second? How fast do you 👍? If the opponent doesn't see your 👍, do you do it again? Has anyone ever thumbs down? Should I 👍 at all?

Removing this would be a travesty.

mbpm1

The thumbs up has added a new set of mind games to SFV.

Removing this would be a travesty.

👍 is 👍 for 👍 good 👍 sport 👍man 👍 ship 👍Capcom👍 made 👍 it 👍that 👍way 👍

If they literally did rebuild CFN "from the ground up", as claimed by Harrison on Capcom Unity, then that could at least partly explain the slow progress of the game. It would suggest that whoever built the original infrastructure left them with such a mess that they could do little more than slap on band-aids to keep it chugging along, which is consistent with the server-side behavior we've seen so far. But even then, the overall rate at which the game is progressing is far from impressive, and does not suggest that many resources are available to the team. That or everything is a complete and utter mess from top to bottom.

That said, I have to admit that the 👍 have added a bit of personality to what is otherwise downtime from a spectator perspective. I won't miss it terribly much, though.

Csr

It doesn't matter how easy you "think" something is to "fix", that doesn't make it actually true.

Also things are on a priority list, player 2 rematch not being in doesn't default to low staff, it can simply be buried under a bunch of things that are more important.
Also even if you had like 50 programmers, you can't realistically have 10 different builds or some shit all with different features which you then have to merge into the main branche.

Well you can, but it's also an insanely stupid way to set up your pipeline. This means working on some "easy fix feature" you feel is top priority, means less time put into things that are higher on their own priority list.

Also shitting out costumes isn't that easy, especially since the leads have to go over them and correct them so the artstyle remains homogenous, this ofcourse also takes time away from actually building characters/animations/stages.

But yeah, come on capcom, where these easy fixes at.

All you said is true but theoretical, sure there is the possibility that the issues i mentioned are hard to fix but imo the possibility is pretty low (feel free to disagree), sure you can't just keep throwing people at a problem but even then overall the fixes are taking too long, again imo.

And you say those things about the costumes as if there aren't many examples of games putting out a lot more costumes than sfv.

But yeah, come one people, capcom can do no wrong.

mbpm1

Don't settle for less than creating a virtual chun li to pleasure us next patch tbh

and even then it should be makoto

It took Iron Galexy two years to fix 3rd Strike matchmaking and Netcode.

Just give Capcom another year.

But then again, Iron Galexy listed a fix a year prior.

I don't think the things like the thumbs up shit is hard to fix, it's just that it's lower on the totem pole right now compared to other things. They don't have a crew that's as big as before, but at the same time, it's big enough to handle super important issues like CFN and other things that are more irritating than P2 rematch.

Kind of the same thing with the Arcade Mode. They could put that shit in, but there aren't enough people that'll swing back around to play SFV to make it worth pulling employees away.

I do think, that in response for things like the Arcade mode, they'll do more than just throw 8 people our way and be done with it. Probably fuse it with the Extra Battle stuff or something.

I'm at a loss at to do against Rog. I'll just push buttons and hope for the best.

Who do you play and what level are you at?

Dealing with Rogs is:
Neutral jumping to catch dash punches
Bully him on wakeup because he doesn't have a reversal
Watching out for dash lows/looking at his bar and seeing how much meter he has
Killing him before he goes OD on you when he hits trigger

And jabbing that V OH so it's not a true mixup if have a 3f jab.

And depending on the Rog, you can cross them up free until they prove they can AA.

Blueblur1

4d4888151714266f0950e2f5a1848b17.png

Its from this 'Capcom Recap' post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom