• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Well I'll say this last bit about it. I'm mostly good when I play friends, other GAf'ers, or live casuals at a tourney. It's the world of facing online randoms that does this to me.

On another note although I haven't played the game in a month I was really into a online shooter called Titanfall 2. Being in that team environment does a lot to make the experience a much more pleasant one compared to the 1v1 environment of fighting games.
Richard Garfield (creator of MTG) had a talk where he pointed out that RNG (TCGs) and teamplay (shooters, MOBAs) both provide scapegoats for people when they lose, cushioning the blow to their egos. Games like Chess and FG (and solo sports like wrestling/tennis) don't do that at all, and so a lot of people are turned off.

LakeEarth

Appreciate the words but I don't think this is something I can fix. I already went through this with SF4 for 7 years. I took many long breaks during that time and though SFV is a lot less stressful I still find myself getting too salty too often.

My wife is much happier that I stopped playing because too often I'd scare her by blowing up and raging like a lunatic when shit didn't go my way whether it was poor execution, getting scrubbed out, or just getting outplayed. And then I could spend days being haunted by a set or match I had with someone I felt I should have or could have beaten. Even something as dumb as wanting a run back but never getting it will eat away at me.

I love the series but it's not healthy for me. I've tried changing my mindset many times and it has never worked out. For now I'm just content to be a stream monster.
Edit - didn't see that it was Rice making this post. I understand your stress and I hope you'll find your way back for SF6.

Torry

Neo Member
Lmao. Thats the best thing I got going on? GGs, you have decent Ibuki going on. Would tone down using CA as a punish though if I were you though. Got hit by it multiple times so what do I know lol.

Haha, far from it man. Your patience, defence, teching and confirms were great! I knew that as soon as you had meter and hit me with the cross-up I was in for a lot of pain, and when you incorporated alot of command throws and normal throws my brain turned into a mess. I can't for the love of god tech throws or react decently against a good throw game.
Yeah, using CA as a punish tool or just for wakeup is the only way I know how to use it, hah. I'm terrible at confirming into it from anything unless I got a stun on my opponent, and have been blown up many times online because of it. :p Thanks for calling my Ibuki decent :D

These sets were alot of fun. It was tense the whole time and I believe the games
could've just as easily switched in your favor. Should play again some time!

Is anyone getting matches that are 3 bars and is playable? Normally 4 and below becomes a mess meanwhile 5 bar matches still ends up atrocious.

Is anyone getting matches that are 3 bars and is playable? Normally 4 and below becomes a mess meanwhile 5 bar matches still ends up atrocious.

I put it on 5 bars, set it to ask, shows 5 bar match but turns out to be 2 bar match... most of my rollback matches are PS4 wifi, don't think i have played a Canadian that wasn't laggy..

Excluding wifi warriors, 3 is playable, 4 has some rollback, 5 is smooth.

I can't speak for 3 bur 4 feels like it's underwater and 5 feels like the dude is sitting right next to you 90% of the time.

I played 4 on 360 and years later on PC and it always felt bad and unplayable to me, online.

All the game is doing is putting me up against people from Dominica Republic. While in gold it was people form the Trinidad. I don't know what is wrong with this game putting me up against people in the Caribbeans while living the Central Florida. Is anyone is the US playing? Because I was matched by the same Balrog twice after trying to avoid him for 10 minutes by avoiding Matchmaking.

Hyun Sai

All the game is doing is putting me up against people from Dominica Republic. While in gold it was people form the Trinidad. I don't know what is wrong with this game putting me up against people in the Caribbeans while living the Central Florida. Is anyone is the US playing? Because I was matched by the same Balrog twice after trying to avoid him for 10 minutes by avoiding Matchmaking.

The internet from the Caribean is coming from a direct Florida cable, so it should explain that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's actually pretty smart on his part. If you're not good enough to make it by winning tournaments, create a brand and keep promoting it.

I'm actually not sure how smart it is to tie the value of your brand to your performance in a professional competitive setting. Sure, he's getting his brand in front of people, including people who are not already fans of his, but it's not like people are going to want to wear his gear if he loses most of the time. If he's just trying to appeal to people who already like him as a personality regardless of his performance, then maybe this will help, but I can't imagine it will make a big splash among existing fans.

Skab

Just an into a bot on PC. Is there a way to report this shit? Fucking bullshit ruining ranked.

CFN name was Prophet22.

So thats' going to be Gootecks' 'uniform' now? He's the angry joe of the FGC?

It's actually pretty smart on his part. If you're not good enough to make it by winning tournaments, create a brand and keep promoting it.
When I saw his new look at E League, I got Bud Bundy's Grand Master B flashbacks. It's not him. It's not genuine (as far as I know) and that's what bothers me. But maybe you're right and this is what he has to do at this point.

Will he do Excellent Adventures in this outfit as well?

I live in NJ, 20mins outside of NYC, i get matched up with so many Canadian's it's crazy, you think i was living in Canada....match making done by ping. we get all these fucked up pairings, plus the population of the game scattered around, America doesn't have a dense population of players like Japan, watch Gunfight stream and he has flawless matches, then i watch SpawnofOdd and he has quite a lot of rollback..

The problem is, he's a teacher, and for that business to exist he needs to place higher in tournaments. This is just a quick boost but hopefully he can do better as a player.

Village

Playing a ken
i'm trying out mika, dude has an 8 win streak. Dude starts fighting, home is using 2 brain cells and only doing special moves, I beat him. He rage quit.

Shit felt good

You going soft on us, Rice-Eater!?

Well...yeah, pretty much lol. I think I'm too mentally weak to be playing SFV or fighters online in general. I take too many things personally. I'll tell myself that my opponent is taunting me just by doing stuff that works.

I'll be even more real, I think I tolerated SF4 more because I won more. But SFV has skill based match making so I get bodied more often. Which leads to me trying to "make up" for my losses. And that never ends well because I'll just loop myself into a endless cycle where someone new will piss me off and I'll get more upset and vengeful towards another guy.

I know this all sounds rather sad and pathetic. But I find it therapeutic to get it out of my system.

The problem is, he's a teacher, and for that business to exist he needs to place higher in tournaments. This is just a quick boost but hopefully he can do better as a player.

Not completely. He already has accolades and a bunch top 8s under his belt. Being a face and being decent enough to teach is enough.

Vice

I think he doesnt take the teaching aspect as seriously as the CC brand. He prices himself over J Wong, Ricki and Xian. Evo winners and placers in many games. He wants people to subscribe to the brand, not the skill.

Wow, Killer Instinct has a pretty nice system for Ranked:

4 Leagues: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Killer

You can let the system decide which league to put you in by playing 10 matches. The outcomes of those matches decided which league you get put in. You can requalify once every month (if you want to).

Regular Ranked matches match you up with opponents of any skill level, but the final match that lets you rank up HAS to be played with people from either your rank or above. You CAN'T rank down.

Bronze and Silver matches are Bo1, but Gold and Killer matches are Bo3 without a choice. So you can't just win one and then bolt, you have to finish the Bo3 AND WIN else you get no points.

This system is so nice man, there's no pressure involved since there's really nothing to lose if you lose matches. Points can be gotten back and it all feels like you're working towards something (Killer rank). Just got to Gold there myself so I'm having a ton of fun playing ranked in that mode. Certainly helps that everything is so snappy and works so well.

The fear of 'losing progress" by ranking down really makes SFV Ranked matches feel very stressful for some.
Well I'll say this last bit about it. I'm mostly good when I play friends, other GAf'ers, or live casuals at a tourney. It's the world of facing online randoms that does this to me.

On another note although I haven't played the game in a month I was really into a online shooter called Titanfall 2. Being in that team environment does a lot to make the experience a much more pleasant one compared to the 1v1 environment of fighting games.
It's honestly the exact opposite for me. Playing team based games with randoms gets me so angry. They usually flame, suck anyway and then flame somebody else for sucking.

At least in Fighting Games there's no excuse to fall back to. You lost, it's on you. You won, it's all you.

jett

D-Member

Some people are just better at teaching. It'd be more interesting to know if anyone who's high profile now has trained under him than to see Gootecks doing poorly in tournaments.

Sayad

Is Gootecks even good at teaching? He's good at producing content and finding ways to make money out of the FGC, teaching just happen to be one method of that.

Seeing him and Mike play anything that isn't Capcom(Street Fighter in Tecks case) sure shows how poor their analytical skills are and their lack of will to learn new things, both marks of poor teaching skills. Actual in game skill isn't necessary for a coach/teacher, but if he doesn't have the skill to recognize what went wrong, then that's a real problem.

They just happen to be playing those games for so long that they have something to offer for a new starting player, but they're certainly not the best at it.

Haven't played TF2 but if it's like CoD, then I see that, you can just relax and blame it on the team when things go wrong. But I have to say, that's usually not the case for all team based games, namely, that hero based team shooter get me more salty than any FG ever did!

Village

Welp time to main juri

preview_by_tanooki128-db55vzg.jpg

also neat

Is Gootecks even good at teaching? He's good at producing content and finding ways to make money out of the FGC, teaching just happen to be one method of that.

!

i'm silver so, any help would help me.

Also from what I understand, gootecks doesn't like teaching , and thinks there are better teachers, and chargers more than everyone else to incentivise, you going to them.

Wow, Killer Instinct has a pretty nice system for Ranked:

4 Leagues: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Killer

You can let the system decide which league to put you in by playing 10 matches. The outcomes of those matches decided which league you get put in. You can requalify once every month (if you want to).

Regular Ranked matches match you up with opponents of any skill level, but the final match that lets you rank up HAS to be played with people from either your rank or above. You CAN'T rank down.

Bronze and Silver matches are Bo1, but Gold and Killer matches are Bo3 without a choice. So you can't just win one and then bolt, you have to finish the Bo3 AND WIN else you get no points.

This system is so nice man, there's no pressure involved since there's really nothing to lose if you lose matches. Points can be gotten back and it all feels like you're working towards something (Killer rank). Just got to Gold there myself so I'm having a ton of fun playing ranked in that mode. Certainly helps that everything is so snappy and works so well.

The fear of 'losing progress" by ranking down really makes SFV Ranked matches feel very stressful for some.
It's honestly the exact opposite for me. Playing team based games with randoms gets me so angry. They usually flame, suck anyway and then flame somebody else for sucking.
This sounds so awesome. American devs are fantastic at making strides in different aspects of fighting games. I bet if I played KI I'd get the same futuristic feel I got from Skullgirls. Capcom could REALLY take a hint already with their ranked, casual and lobby systems. At the very least allow character specific LP rankings for the love of all that is holy.

MrCarter

I kind of like the salt (from other players of course) by ranking them down or that sense of accomplishment of ranking up in SFV after beating a gold. Makes things very intense and exciting. Casuals can still play in thier own rank such as rookie, bronze etc. or just stick to casual battle.

MrCarter

Nice. Thanks for this.

At the very least allow character specific LP rankings for the love of all that is holy.

This. I want to be able to level up characters and get FM, costumes and colours by doing so. Especially FM, although SFV is the only FG game to give us a way to gain characters for free, we need more ways to gain it other than just weekly missions and casuals/ranked matches.

VariantX

This sounds so awesome. American devs are fantastic at making strides in different aspects of fighting games. I bet if I played KI I'd get the same futuristic feel I got from Skullgirls. Capcom could REALLY take a hint already with their ranked, casual and lobby systems. At the very least allow character specific LP rankings for the love of all that is holy.

Please this. There was nothing wrong with that ranking system as far I could see. You could clearly see who was best with that character too. I also played far more characters in SFIV due to their individual rankings.Lots of cody, guy, makoto, guile, and ryu. I try do that in SFV, and it's a one-way-trip back to bronzeville, so I end up playing one character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom