• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Oh yeah, thanks, I remember hearing about those costumes from the April Fools stuff. We're supposed to get a new character this month, I think? Unless they've said otherwise. Should get revealed sooner than later.

Seems like things are pretty much the same; kind of in a standby state until the upcoming patch. I'm probably gonna take a real different approach to this game whenever I come back.

Shadoken

lol this isn't some conspiracy theory against Infiltration. Calm down. Nash is still a valid character but not as op as season 1.

I meant how the devs went "Oh you are playing Nash as Hit and Run? Thats not what we want so you are going to play him as we want you to play him"

They werent even subtle about it , they openly came and said Infiltration is playing Nash in a way we did not intend to. So we are changing it.
Nerfing is fair. Nerfing to the point of removing the play style is unfair. If Capcom behaved this way back in SF2 , Combos wouldnt have existed.

Its not like Infiltration was too OP , after EVO people eventually figured him out and the input lag reduction to 6.5 helped. So I just feel Capcom isnt dealing with the situation the right way.

MrCarter

I meant how the devs went "Oh you are playing Nash as Hit and Run? Thats not what we want so you are going to play him as we want you to play him"

They werent even subtle about it , they openly came and said Infiltration is playing Nash in a way we did not intend to. So we are changing it.
Nerfing is fair. Nerfing to the point of removing the play style is unfair. If Capcom behaved this way back in SF2 , Combos wouldnt have existed.

Its not like Infiltration was too OP , after EVO people eventually figured him out and the input lag reduction to 6.5 helped. So I just feel Capcom isnt dealing with the situation the right way.

I think Nash still has that "run and gun" of play but it's not as strong as it was in season 1. He seems better in 2.5 patch so we'll see how well he does with people. Besides, I'm actually far more interested in Infiltration's Juri than Nash at the moment.

Producer

Capcom's a middle tier Company always on the verge of rising out of their own mediocrity, only to shoot themselves in the foot, they will never be a juggernaut, as long as the current regime at Capcom hold the same dumb ass views they will never see beyond their own shadow...

I think its pretty much sf5 thats treated like trash, probably cause of the bad sales. Monster hunter is top tier

stn

Capcom openly admitted they nerfed Nash because *GASP* people figured out how to zone with him effectively while playing hit-and-run. The nerfs just made Nash more stale and yet another rush-down character. Its one thing to nerf a character because he actually requires it, its another to do so just so you can force people to play him a certain way. The latter shows why Capcom has a VERY poor outlook and plan when it comes to balance changes. I can't even recall how many times Capcom would revert a change it had previously made. It just shows lack of direction and inconsistency.

I pretty much always cringe before I'm about to read a new set of balance patch notes.

It's KIND of part of the Alpha collection (you can't choose A2 versions of characters that weren't in Alpha).

When you're not worried about tourneys, it's fucking fun.

I love popping in old SF games with bullshit in them. But I usually only want to play people who don't know that bullshit.

Bigg_Oggy

Oh yeah, thanks, I remember hearing about those costumes from the April Fools stuff. We're supposed to get a new character this month, I think? Unless they've said otherwise. Should get revealed sooner than later.

Seems like things are pretty much the same; kind of in a standby state until the upcoming patch. I'm probably gonna take a real different approach to this game whenever I come back.
Curious as to what you mean by this. Different character, play-style, state of mind?

Shadoken

Capcom's a middle tier Company always on the verge of rising out of their own mediocrity, only to shoot themselves in the foot, they will never be a juggernaut, as long as the current regime at Capcom hold the same dumb ass views they will never see beyond their own shadow...

This seems to be a recurring theme. They always seem to build up a franchise to a critical point where it could become the next big thing and push Capcom out of the middle tier. And then they fail.

SF5 had all the right things going for it , and then bam. Despite SF4's flaws as a game , it did ALOT for the SF franchise as a whole. Hopefully SFV does seem to be picking up slowly yet steadily.

FluxWaveZ

Curious as to what you mean by this. Different character, play-style, state of mind?

Different character and different state of mind.

I was getting burned out. Playing for hours on end daily, in the hopes that the more I played, the more I would improve. I was getting progressively unhappier and my performance was getting worse and worse, but I still pushed forward in the hopes that it would all pay off with the sheer amount of matches I had played. That's not the way for me to do things.

"Conscious learning" is an important concept that I wasn't applying at all. I need each match of mine to have a purpose and a goal, so I can narrow down the specific elements I need to improve upon. I won't just be playing through instinct and reactions anymore. I need to actively think about everything I do. A reason behind every action.

Mika in her current state is not the character for me to improve with, in terms of that mindset. Her tools are too unorthodox and she relies on a different style (i.e. mind games) than other characters, as the grappler with the lowest health in the game and without the proper tools to approach. I'll be focusing on someone else until I gain the expertise to do right by her.

Edzi

I was getting burned out. Playing for hours on end daily, in the hopes that the more I played, the more I would improve. I was getting progressively unhappier and my performance was getting worse and worse, but I still pushed forward in the hopes that it would all pay off with the sheer amount of matches I had played. That's not the way for me to do things.

"Conscious learning" is an important concept that I wasn't applying at all. I need each match of mine to have a purpose and a goal, so I can narrow down the specific elements I need to improve upon. I won't just be playing through instinct and reactions anymore. I need to actively think about everything I do. A reason behind every action.

Mika in her current state is not the character for me to improve with, in terms of that mindset. Her tools are too unorthodox and she relies on a different style (i.e. mind games) than other characters, as the grappler with the lowest health in the game and without the proper tools to approach. I'll be focusing on someone else until I gain the expertise to do right by her.

Dude, just play less. The sheer amount of matches you were playing can't be healthy, so it's no wonder you were feeling burnt out.

FluxWaveZ

Dude, just play less. The sheer amount of matches you were playing can't be healthy, so it's no wonder you were feeling burnt out.

Yep, that's why I took a break from it, and haven't even been paying attention to the game lately. Kinda forget how playing the game even looks like right now.

MrCarter

Capcom openly admitted they nerfed Nash because *GASP* people figured out how to zone with him effectively while playing hit-and-run. The nerfs just made Nash more stale and yet another rush-down character. Its one thing to nerf a character because he actually requires it, its another to do so just so you can force people to play him a certain way. The latter shows why Capcom has a VERY poor outlook and plan when it comes to balance changes. I can't even recall how many times Capcom would revert a change it had previously made. It just shows lack of direction and inconsistency.

I pretty much always cringe before I'm about to read a new set of balance patch notes.

Was that really because they thought "people figured him out" or was it because they actually thought he was OP - hard to tell with this company sometimes with thier lack of communication. As for the balance, I think S1 SFV was one of the most balanced first iterations of any SF ever, S2 wasn't as strong but did address (some) AA's however introduced some other problems such as weaker V-reversals, DP change and nerfed strong characters, however it's clear they have learnt from that and introduced better changes to the dp and actually buffed the weaker characters - even giving some characters new moves. If they keep on listening to feedback going forward like they did with 2.5 they should be fine.

Bigg_Oggy

Interesting. Conscious learning...sounds like you'll be able to notice the little nuances you and your opponent use and develop as the match goes on, giving you the ability to adapt faster to different changes in the match. Reminds me of seeing Punk stream and him getting upset that his opponent kept getting punished by the same stuff. They couldn't notice what they were doing wrong and make the adjustment.

I've heard people mention that going into a match with a goal in mind (i.e. anti-airs, shimmies, frame-traps) and focusing on that is a good way to better yourself. Instead of being hung up on winning (although you wanna win), you'll focus on that thing you've been practicing. That way when the situation arises in the future, muscle memory kicks in as well, making the situation easier to handle.

This all sounds...really difficult. I'm curious how many players are actually thinking as a match goes on, or just turn their brain off.

mbpm1

It's very easy to get into a flow with rushdown in mind. It's a lot of fun, but also a lot easier for opponents to destroy you for it if they're paying attention. You need to constantly balance autopilot (good in routine situations) while being able to jump back in the cockpit when something changes in the situation.

It's very easy to get into a flow with rushdown in mind. It's a lot of fun, but also a lot easier for opponents to destroy you for it if they're paying attention. You need to constantly balance autopilot (good in routine situations) while being able to jump back in the cockpit when something changes in the situation.

This is a good way of describing it. Once you've committed the fundamentals to your muscle memory, it becomes a real matter of autopiloting.

Though to be honest, I'm personally not a fan of the concept of "conscious learning" for fighting games at a high level. For slower paced games like MOBAs or strategy games, this strategy is incredibly useful but for a fast paced genre like fighting games, you often won't even have to time to reflect on the consequences of what you just did when you're required to make another decision right afterwards.

FluxWaveZ

but for a fast paced genre like fighting games, you often won't even have to time to reflect on the consequences of what you just did when you're required to make another decision right afterwards.

I think this is a huge delineator that separates top level players from lower level ones. The fact that they can mentally adapt and think about possibilities in a matter of frames is what puts them at a higher level. When I play against some of the people in our community like Chi-rithy, I can feel it. Just fighting them, I can feel how quickly they're thinking compared to me, and how fast they're adapting and playing compared to my pace. I think it's why it's been said that "top level play feels like the players are playing in slow motion."

As one who played StarCraft II too frequently before I started getting into fighting games, it's a state of mind that I enjoy. I couldn't just auto-pilot in that game when I was microing (or even macroing) as Zerg, and there are just so many things you need to take into account in a single second. I just didn't bring how I played there into SFV, and I want to change that.

I think this is a huge delineator that separates top level players from lower level ones. The fact that they can mentally adapt and think about possibilities in a matter of frames is what puts them at a higher level. When I play against some of the people in our community like Chi-rithy, I can feel it. Just fighting them, I can feel how quickly they're thinking compared to me, and how fast they're adapting and playing compared to my pace. I think it's why it's been said that "top level play feels like the players are playing in slow motion."

As one who played StarCraft II too frequently before I started getting into fighting games, it's a state of mind that I enjoy. I couldn't just auto-pilot in that game when I was microing (or even macroing) as Zerg, and there are just so many things you need to take into account in a single second. I just didn't bring how I played there into SFV, and I want to change that.
I know exactly how you feel.

I played Dota 2 almost religiously and often I was taking every single variable into account to judge my next plan of action. Even periods where most players would just try to take their mind off things and focus on the task at hand, I would always try to be thinking 2 steps ahead.

It's an incredibly taxing state of mind (as you probably know) but I've yet to become good enough at fighting games that I can make similar adaptations on the fly. I've noticed that I have to bungle up once or twice before I learn that that particular approach/technique is not something that's going to yield results against this opponent.

I wish you all the best though, as entering that state of mind is a difficult one. I'd also just like to say that every player plays differently. Some excel at adapting, some excel at forcing their opponents to adapt and some excel at defying all the opponent's expectations. Playing from the heart is something that always seemed like a weird thing to say to me until I finally realized what it truly entails.

Edzi

I mostly autopilot when I play, usually while listening to music or a video in the background. I'm not playing braindead though, I can still recognize patterns and make split second decisions, but it's more subconscious than anything.

LakeEarth

I know being on complete auto-pilot is a bad idea because I always win more playing at 6pm than playing at 11pm. I feel as though your overall decision making needs to be on auto-pilot, but your mind has to be observant to your opponent so that your auto-pilot decisions can be based on better information.

mbpm1

I know being on complete auto-pilot is a bad idea because I always win more playing at 6pm than playing at 11pm. I feel as though your overall decision making needs to be on auto-pilot, but your mind has to be observant to your opponent so that your auto-pilot decisions can be based on better information.

that's it I think.

Like, I rarely think, during a match, "this is when he will DP" but I do feel it in a vague sort of way "pressure > pressure > he tries to bust out now > he thinks I'm too far away to attack so now I do a dash > he will do a delayed attack now and I'll beat that with an immediate attack", and my assumptions are better earlier on in the day than later.

I mean, sometimes I do, but more of it is automated than not, just switching between automation is a thing as well.

The more you play the game, the more you can refine those automatic processes, and then look out for one or two outliers, i.e. "That time he didn't get hit/block my meaty but used a frame 3 armor attack to call out my later meaty. That won't work everytime so I should put that in the deck of cards he has to draw from."

Yep, that's why I took a break from it, and haven't even been paying attention to the game lately. Kinda forget how playing the game even looks like right now.
Perspective mate...if you are trying to become a Pro and win tourney's and money, you have to do it full time, and a lot of the best training comes from online.

If you just want to get good and be respected by peers or top of the leader boards, well MISSION ACCOMPLISHED lol.

At the end of the day, it's a video game that should bring you joy, if it's not, time to move on. I know I've been having way more fun without the stress of competition. Horizon, Yakuza and Persona 5 makes me feel like a kid again getting lost in amazing worlds. My downtime outside of works looks like this

Morning before work - Watch Pro SFV matches/Guitar lessons
Work - Switch gaming (when I get one lol) and reading Trevor Noah's book
After work FF14 with my wife and Gravity Rush 2

What a time to be alive...

I know exactly how you feel.

I played Dota 2 almost religiously and often I was taking every single variable into account to judge my next plan of action. Even periods where most players would just try to take their mind off things and focus on the task at hand, I would always try to be thinking 2 steps ahead.

It's an incredibly taxing state of mind (as you probably know) but I've yet to become good enough at fighting games that I can make similar adaptations on the fly. I've noticed that I have to bungle up once or twice before I learn that that particular approach/technique is not something that's going to yield results against this opponent.

I wish you all the best though, as entering that state of mind is a difficult one. I'd also just like to say that every player plays differently. Some excel at adapting, some excel at forcing their opponents to adapt and some excel at defying all the opponent's expectations. Playing from the heart is something that always seemed like a weird thing to say to me until I finally realized what it truly entails.
Just to second this, play the game how you want to play. I've had so many people tell me to "join this group," "join this community," "You've got potential" Screw all that! I don't want to come home and study match-ups and frame data unless I'm getting paid to do so. I play how I want to play, and that's basically learning the ins and outs of my favorite character, generally learning what other characters love to do (so i have a decent defense) and play good Oki. That's fun for me. I don't want to compete in tourney settings, online settings, nada. I guess my calling in SF is probably best as a tutor or something, I love training Kens that hit me up on CFN for example.

@ Flux So yeah, play you're way. If all you want to do is improve, first ask yourself why? What's the end goal here? If it's just to win, I would suggest prioritizing what's really important in life. If you truly want to become a Pro, then you simply have to dedicate yourself the game more in study, preparation, and execution, not simply playing a ton of games.

The worse is when you bait something out and still manage to get hit.

Or when they stop doing stuff on wake-up and decide to when you decide to go in.

Birdie in a nutshell.

giphy.gif

Birdie in a nutshell.

giphy.gif

That was actually incredibly smart from the Birdie player. The 2 hits of armor from the V-Trig EX Bullhorn was the only way to stay alive in that situation, the forward jump was a terrific CA bait and an EX bullhead was the only reliable punish in that scenario.

If I were you, I'd add that person and ask to play more sets in a lounge.

mbpm1

That was actually incredibly smart from the Birdie player. The 2 hits of armor from the V-Trig EX Bullhorn was the only way to stay alive in that situation, and an EX bullhorn was the only reliable punish in that scenario.

Nah, he was probably laggy and from South Antarctica knowing Zg's games.

Edzi

That was actually incredibly smart from the Birdie player. The 2 hits of armor from the V-Trig EX Bullhorn was the only way to stay alive in that situation, the neutral jump was a terrific CA bait and an EX bullhead was the only reliable punish in that scenario.

Why improve when you can complain on gaf?

Was that really because they thought "people figured him out" or was it because they actually thought he was OP - hard to tell with this company sometimes with thier lack of communication

For the record, most companies don't say jack spit about their balance changes. SNK didn't explain anything with their recent patch. ArcSys doesn't even translate their balance patches to English most of the time (or ever?), let alone offer explanations.

Capcom, at the very least, offers a brief explanation of their balance philosophies...which is much more than they did in pre SF4 times. They're actually one of the more communicative FG companies out there, though everyone acts like they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom