• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

my prophecies about how stale this game would be from playing the betas have come true.

Even with Punk doing amazing with Karin, there really hasn't been any new Karin tech since like March of last year lmao, the newest karin tech I've seen has been the 50/50 in the corner, nothing else lol

new character hype is the only thing keeping me interested at this point

Yeah, it looked like things were changing a bit, but the roadmap for gameplay seems to hold steady for the next few months at least. Some pretty dry timing based stuff is what will win games more than anything, not super interesting. New characters won't change that too much.

I don't even hate the game. Just expected more of S2.

I loved S1 because it was the best first revision SF has ever had, imo. I love the core gameplay of the series and was excited what future updates would bring.

S2 didn't bring much. I played and watched more tourneys last year than I have in a fighter in a long time. I'm burnt out.

I agree with TheSpoiler. If you are burnt out, then maybe it is simply time to take a break from SFV. There's nothing wrong with that. You'll either recover your desire to play/watch SFV, or you'll find something else that does it for you. It's a win-win.

Skilletor

Take a break for a month or so. Let the patch change a few things around. Pop back in around EVO time or here and there.

It's super exhausting to watch a fighting game week after week, and there have been dozens of events all at once.

Ucchedavāda;234088071 said:
I agree with TheSpoiler. If you are burnt out, then maybe it is simply time to take a break from SFV. There's nothing wrong with that. You'll either recover your desire to play/watch SFV, or you'll find something else that does it for you. It's a win-win.

I haven't been playing much SF. I was just commenting on the tourney. :p

Countblack was just ribbing me because of what I said a couple pages ago. lol

I haven't been playing much SF. I was just commenting on the tourney. :p

Countblack was just ribbing me because of what I said a couple pages ago. lol

Tell me though, didn't it feel good to put in time to learn things in SF4 that took proper execution and only some people could do it if they put in the time and work into it? Like Ibuki SJC combos or something. Like learning SF4 Ibuki would take 2 weeks to a month to get decent with.

Now you could have an optimized Ibuki within 15-30 minutes. Want to be tournament ready? Take another 15 to learn V-Trigger setups.

Skilletor

Tell me though, didn't it feel good to put in time to learn things in SF4 that took proper execution and only some people could do it if they put in the time and work into it? Like Ibuki SJC combos or something. Like learning SF4 Ibuki would take 2 weeks to a month to get decent with.

Now you could have an optimized Ibuki within 15-30 minutes. Want to be tournament ready? Take another 15 to learn V-Trigger setups.

For sure. I love execution in fighters, so yeah, seeing that kind of stuff go will always make me sad. I always played other fighters for that, though. KoF, GG, Tekken, etc. SF before 4 was always simple w/ execution outside of a few mechanics or characters.

I just want footsies and fireballs back. I want Umeshoryus. I don't want to be able to guess what frame data will be when you name a tool a character has. I don't want stubby normals. I want characters to be able to get loose with tools the way Ibuki and Urien can, but I don't want it hidden behind a meter. I want vskills that actually do shit. I want vtriggers that aren't just combo extenders for stun combos.

MrCarter

my prophecies about how stale this game would be from playing the betas have come true.

Even with Punk doing amazing with Karin, there really hasn't been any new Karin tech since like March of last year lmao, the newest karin tech I've seen has been the 50/50 in the corner, nothing else lol

new character hype is the only thing keeping me interested at this point

Prophecies lol. Of course there was new "tech" for SF4 every other month right and of course new tech is the only thing that makes people continue to play a fighting game, despite the solid gameplay and no cheap mechanics.

/s

SF5 has an incredibly solid base and almost all the issues with the gameplay IMO are at a balance level and not a system level.

I recently uninstalled KI after the problems in that game just became blisteringly obvious and I was just unable to keep ignoring them. That game is just straight up unbalanced but the issue is that they keep adding stupid stuff to characters that are already stupid. They've turned the game into a game where fundamentals mean jack.

The characters that are considered some of the weakest in that game right now, are the ones that have the least amount of bullshit like Orchid and RAAM. Coincidentally, those are also the characters I play.

It was only natural that with the amount of options in each situation that new tech would keep getting found for each situation. This game clearly has less options in any given scenario but that doesn't inherently make it bad, or make the tech that is discovered any less worthwhile.

Plus let's not forget that that game had a lot of balance changes over the years and a lot of system additions while this game has only had one year and so far, one horrible balance patch.

For sure. I love execution in fighters, so yeah, seeing that kind of stuff go will always make me sad. I always played other fighters for that, though. KoF, GG, Tekken, etc. SF before 4 was always simple w/ execution outside of a few mechanics or characters.

I just want footsies and fireballs back. I want Umeshoryus. I don't want to be able to guess what frame data will be when you name a tool a character has. I don't want stubby normals. I want characters to be able to get loose with tools the way Ibuki and Urien can, but I don't want it hidden behind a meter. I want vskills that actually do shit. I want vtriggers that aren't just combo extenders for stun combos.

Sounds like you'd like a game called SF4

Prophecies lol. Of course there was new "tech" for SF4 every other month right and of course new tech is the only thing that makes people continue to play a fighting game, despite the solid gameplay and no cheap mechanics.

/s

I mean the proof was in the pudding from the direction they were going from beta to beta.

SF4's system and mechanics felt so vast and open compared to SFV's barebones approach.

Nothing better than some solid Necalli gameplay.

And they still haven't mentioned lowering the input lag that many top players have asked for lol, I think they're just gonna ignore it for as long as they can.

Skilletor

Sounds like you'd like a game called SF4

#fucksf4

SF5 has an incredibly solid base and almost all the issues with the gameplay IMO are at a balance level and not a system level.

I recently uninstalled KI after the problems in that game just became blisteringly obvious and I was just unable to keep ignoring them. That game is just straight up unbalanced but the issue is that they keep adding stupid stuff to characters that are already stupid. They've turned the game into a game where fundamentals mean jack.

Plus let's not forget that that game had a lot of balance changes over the years and a lot of system additions while this game has only had one year and so far, one horrible balance patch.

Yeah, I love the foundation they've built. I'll stay up on this game because of that.

mbpm1

/s
Solid gameplay is a misnomer.

mbpm1

The characters that are considered some of the weakest in that game right now, are the ones that have the least amount of bullshit like Orchid and RAAM. Coincidentally, those are also the characters I play.
It was only natural that with the amount of options in each situation that new tech would keep getting found for each situation. This game clearly has less options in any given scenario but that doesn't inherently make it bad, or make the tech that is discovered any less worthwhile.

KI is fun but the characters I wanted to play were Raam and Kim wu. Basically like thinking fang and chun would be good picks now lol

I don't think harder execution combos would make SFV better. Capcom just needs to have a few execution heavy characters and be done with it. The lower entry point is generally a good thing, Capcom was just too quick with the nerf bat and crippled playstyles across the board.

Punk winning with Karin was a great example. It wasn't new tech, same stuff we've been seeing from day one right? Simple, it's because Karin is largely her S1 self and she has indirect 50/50's. if you don't play her or against her often they are pretty hard to see. Her c.mp and st.lk for example are practically 50/50 with her awesome throw range. C.mp hits deceptively long range, her shimmy is insane with high damage potential, etc...mind you I'm not saying she's too strong or anything. Just more characters need to excel in their speculties like she does.

I think FB game is too weak, and jump ins aren't punished enough. Generally the game could be sped up a bit, and we need Sagat and Sakura back. I will say it again, the foundation is solid. SF4 is imo way behind SFV.

Skilletor

I think FB game is too weak, and jump ins aren't punished enough. Generally the game could be sped up a bit, and we need Sagat and Sakura back. I will say it again, the foundation is solid. SF4 is imo way behind SFV.

Yeah, this. Execution isn't why SF is good. It's the ground game. Footsies, fireballs, zoning.

KI is fun but the characters I wanted to play were Raam and Kim wu. Basically like thinking fang and chun would be good picks now lol
It's incredible to me that given how frequently they balance the game, that kim wu still can't do stuff that literally every character can like punish certain moves with her shadow counter.

And it's incredible to me that they gave a character that can literally make his DP safe without spending meter, fly around and create high/low mixups, throw bombs that he can detonate at anytime, and other bullcrap a move that hits 4 fifths of the screen, is a LOW and is -4 on block, can be held down for additional hits and does potential damage even on block.

Basically if you like playing any semblance of a ground game then be prepared for a bad time because a few members of the cast have some of the most annoying bullshit that I've ever seen. Even Mira, that can cross you up from half a screen away is FINE because she is the squishiest character in the game, and you can punish that if you block it correctly.

Characters like Gargos, Sadira, Cinder, Fulgore, Aria, Tusk and Eyedol get all the bullshit and it's just dandy but we gotta nerf Jago though.

I was playing against a Cinder who literally did 2 blocked DPs in a row because they were automatically made safe and I couldn't punish because I didn't have meter. On the third DP, it hit me and he recaptured me, started a combo and killed me.

While I have to commit to a wakeup option as orchid and don't get any extra damage unless I use Instinct or meter.

There's a reason so many people are dropping that game, the game has issues on a fundamental level that aren't getting fixed anytime soon.
Yeah, this. Execution isn't why SF is good. It's the ground game. Footsies, fireballs, zoning.
And that's exactly why I stopped playing KI and came back to SF5. KI does NOT have any of those things, it just has special moves that you spam over and over again.

At least SF5 is honest.

When I think about it, the 2.1 patch should be a thing every few months. It gives characters more tools to work with, and the tiers probably won't shift too much. Things are just gonna get equalized.

Maybe that's the direction they are headed in depending on the reception, and I wouldn't mind it. I know most of them are reverts, or "DUH" sort of changes, but shit like that would really help in refreshing the game.

Like every four months or so, they just keep looking at characters and tools, and say "you know what would be cool, what if this character had this new move" or something.

So long as the changes aren't super massive, I'd be cool with it.

mbpm1

That's debateable. I would say it's far less gimmicky and more honest than SF4 for sure, that game I felt like I couldn't improve without learning 10 broken mechanics at a time so I just gave up in the end.
80% of sfiv gameplay was pretty grounded though. There are characters that don't even use fadc. Not sure where those mechanics are from.

mbpm1

It's incredible to me that given how frequently they balance the game, that kim wu still can't do stuff that literally every character can like punish certain moves with her shadow counter.

And it's incredible to me that they gave a character that can literally make his DP safe without spending meter, fly around and create high/low mixups, throw bombs that he can detonate at anytime, and other bullcrap a move that hits 4 fifths of the screen, is a LOW and is -4 on block, can be held down for additional hits and does potential damage even on block.

Basically if you like playing any semblance of a ground game then a few members of the cast have some of the most annoying bullshit that I've ever seen. Even Mira, that can cross you up from half a screen away is FINE because she is the squishiest character in the game, and you can punish that if you block it correctly.

But characters like Gargos, Sadira, Cinder, Fulgore, Aria, Tusk and Eyedol get all the bullshit and it's just dandy but we gotta nerf Jago though.

I was playing against a Cinder who literally did 2 blocked DPs in a row because they were automatically made safe and I couldn't punish because I didn't have meter. On the third DP, it hit me and he recaptured me, started a combo and killed me.

While I have to commit to a wakeup option as orchid and don't get any extra damage unless I use Instinct or meter.

There's a reason so many people are dropping that game, the game has issues on a fundamental level that aren't getting fixed anytime soon.
And that's exactly why I stopped playing KI and came back to SF5. KI does NOT have any of those things, it just has special moves that you spam over and over again.

At least SF5 is honest.
Kim wu getting that DJ treatment lol

Fun BC she struggles or st. She would be pretty great in other games too

Weren't you just shilling KI in the other thread though? Lol

I don't think harder execution combos would make SFV better. Capcom just needs to have a few execution heavy characters and be done with it. The lower entry point is generally a good thing, Capcom was just too quick with the nerf bat and crippled playstyles across the board.

Punk winning with Karin was a great example. It wasn't new tech, same stuff we've been seeing from day one right? Simple, it's because Karin is largely her S1 self and she has indirect 50/50's. if you don't play her or against her often they are pretty hard to see. Her c.mp and st.lk for example are practically 50/50 with her awesome throw range. C.mp hits deceptively long range, her shimmy is insane with high damage potential, etc...mind you I'm not saying she's too strong or anything. Just more characters need to excel in their speculties like she does.

Like I've said before, SF4 felt like a game of chess (in some circumstances (seth) it wasn't) while SFV is mostly a game of football

What I liked about the execution barrier was that you could tell the skill gap between players and pros. Those who put mad time into a character were rewarded heavily (even Kitasenju DJ was rewarded lmao).

I really enjoyed putting time into training mode, getting difficult but more rewarding options down and being able to pull them off. Now all I need is a wakeup jab -> 100% in two resets or one st.MK to win against any character at any time with V-Trigger lol, it's not difficult to do, anybody can do it if they put in about 8 and a half minutes in training mode. Boring and unrewarding gameplay imo
SF4 had all of those tho lol

I don't think I've turned around on a game faster than I have on KI.

I recently got to gold rank and so have been playing a lot of Killers recently. It is INCREDIBLE how much bullshit is being abused. The game straight up stopped being fun since it feels like my preferred playstyle is the stupidest thing to do in that game when I should just pick TJ combo and powerline powerline powerline powerline powerline powerline powerline powerline powerline powerline teabag powerline powerline Ultra extend Ultra teabag teabag teabag rematch.

or just pick Cinder and do safe DPs. Or just pick Eyedol and do safe DPs while in Instinct mode and never have to worry. Or just pick Sadira and never touch the ground. Or just pick Fulgore and do the most annoying 25/25/25/25 mixups I've ever seen (Possible side switch + the possibility of throw/shimmy/overhead/low/DP).

The primary reason Kim Wu struggles is because she's a grounded character in a game that's increasingly becoming less and less about grounded footsies and generally honest play.

Edzi

luce seems to have love/hate relationships with every fighter he plays. One day he's shilling, the next day he's uninstalling.

Skilletor

So does SF: the movie. Doesn't mean I want to play it.

I love watching high level SF4, but that game doesn't FEEL right. They threw a bunch of shit at a wall and people liked it, but I don't like the way it plays. I don't like the way it controls. I don't like any of the system mechanics. The only thing I like about is the roster.

Edzi

Like I've said before, SF4 felt like a game of chess (in some circumstances (seth) it wasn't) while SFV is mostly a game of football

What I liked about the execution barrier was that you could tell the skill gap between players and pros. Those who put mad time into a character were rewarded heavily (even Kitasenju DJ was rewarded lmao).

I really enjoyed putting time into training mode, getting difficult but more rewarding options down and being able to pull them off. Now all I need is a wakeup jab -> 100% in two resets or one st.MK to win against any character at any time with V-Trigger lol, it's not difficult to do, anybody can do it if they put in about 8 and a half minutes in training mode. Boring and unrewarding gameplay imo

Have you ever considered playing/learning a character that wasn't Laura? I feel like you'd have more fun if you weren't using one of the dumbest characters in the game.

luce seems to have love/hate relationships with every fighter he plays. One day he's shilling, the next day he's uninstalling.

Look the thing about SF5 is that as I've said many times it's that the game CAN BE good which is why I keep coming back. The biggest complaint I have about the game honestly is the matchmaking,servers and netcode. I don't have fundamental issues with the game's systems, I actually enjoy them and I enjoy playing the characters.

KI is just fucked on a fundamental level and that's not getting fixed any time soon. Only a new KI is gonna fix that IMO. It's something that I only am now seeing because I've started playing the higher-level players. I HAVE to embrace the bullshit to win but that's just not fun to me.

Also it's a bit weird that a person can think wakeup jab into reset is annoying in this game yet was fine with SF4's jabs. Did you know Sakura could combo her cr.hk from her st.lp without a counter hit.

So does SF: the movie. Doesn't mean I want to play it.

I love watching high level SF4, but that game doesn't FEEL right. They threw a bunch of shit at a wall and people liked it, but I don't like the way it plays. I don't like the way it controls. I don't like any of the system mechanics. The only thing I like about is the roster.
Yea I can't argue if you just don't like the way a game plays or feels. While I really like the SF4 roster and would like some characters to be brought over into SFV, I know that they'll be neutered in normals/specials and overall be half the character they were before. Not sure if I want Fei anymore :/
Have you ever considered playing/learning a character that wasn't Laura? I feel like you'd have more fun if you weren't using one of the dumbest characters in the game.

I know you know Laura isn't the only character in the game I can play lol stop this

Edzi

Yea I can't argue if you just don't like the way a game plays or feels. While I really like the SF4 roster and would like some characters to be brought over into SFV, I know that they'll be neutered in normals/specials and overall be half the character they were before. Not sure if I want Fei anymore :/

I know you know Laura isn't the only character in the game I can play lol stop this

Shhhh.

giphy.gif

mbpm1

The primary reason Kim Wu struggles is because she's a grounded character in a game that's increasingly becoming less and less about grounded footsies and generally honest play.

On paper I'm like "Oh wow, she has these nice normals and she can buffer those long limbs into anything and convert into a combo. Also she has a crazy dash kick that does a grip of damage and can anti-air."

In practice "Oh...all of that shit just loses to Jago's spamming their wind kick. Even the apparently good dash kick. Also the kick is safe on hit or whiff. Oh well."

The funny thing is that I strongly disliked SF4 at first. Eventually it became one of my fav SF games ever.

I like SFV and think it's a solid game. I prefer SF4 because my main (Rose) perfectly aligned with my style of play. I was also able to vary my style depending on the matchup. I liked the fact that I could play offensive or defensive with her whenever I felt like it. Another character that I loved was Sakura. I remember how difficult it was hitting Tatsu loops, but once I was able to do those consistently, she became much more enjoyable to play.

Above all else, I found most of the cast pretty enjoyable. Those two were my best characters, but I had various mains before that because learning new characters made the game more fun.

I mainly play Cammy, Nash, and Guile in V. Outside of that, I don't really enjoy the cast in V as much as the previous game.

The funny thing is that I strongly disliked SF4 at first. Eventually it became one of my fav SF games ever.

I like SFV and think it's a solid game. I prefer SF4 because my main (Rose) perfectly aligned with my style of play. I was also able to vary my style depending on the matchup. I liked the fact that I could play offensive or defensive with her whenever I felt like it. Another character that I loved was Sakura. I remember how difficult it was hitting Tatsu loops, but once I was able to do those consistently, she became much more enjoyable to play.

j.LP on block ~ lk. tatsu to beat the crouch tech xx imgonnatakeyouforaride was one of my favourite sequences to do and have done to me (maybe not when I'm using Deejay since his hurtbox was the size of the stage)

I miss playing Rose too. That st.HK. That AA fwd.HK -> spiral -> super. That faux spiral pressure. Only a few top players didn't let Luffy get away with any fake spiral strings on block. really impressive to watch tbh

On paper I'm like "Oh wow, she has these nice normals and she can buffer those long limbs into anything and convert into a combo. Also she has a crazy dash kick that does a grip of damage and can anti-air."

In practice "Oh...all of that shit just loses to Jago's spamming their wind kick. Even the apparently good dash kick. Also the kick is safe on hit or whiff. Oh well."

Not gonna lie though, getting your opponent to the corner with RAAM is satisfying as fuck.

STAB, THROW, STOMP STOMP.

Reset, STAB, THROW, STOMP, STOMP.

Reset, STAB, THROW, STOMP STOMP.

*Surely that RAAM's not gonna do it a fourth time*

Reset, STAB, THROW, STOMP, STOMP.
Get left b-ANIME JA NAI
You want anime, Tekken 7 is the better choice.

Street Fighter pussyfoots around with it's JoJo's themes, choosing to use it for "inspiration" but Namco just went all out, designed a JoJo's part1/2 character, made him Italian and called it a day.

Really? I think SF4 has a more appealing ground game with its faster walk speeds and superior normals(fireball game sucks in both games). Players were constantly trying to get in the right ranges to use their normals, whiff punish, and so on. SFV has that to, just not as good IMO since players are more afraid to walk into each others ranges which leads to more dash ins because they're so good. Which also leads to so many people throwing preemptive buttons from mid screen hoping to catch a dash or something.

execution has nothing to do with that though and SF4 Vanilla was hardly chess lol. You're judging V with hardly any balance updates.

A few one framers for the pros to style and to reward those Learning the innnards of a character I can agree with. But nah, everyone doesn't need to have one frame links, it's kinda stupid IMO.

j.LP on block ~ lk. tatsu to beat the crouch tech xx imgonnatakeyouforaride was one of my favourite sequences to do and have done to me (maybe not when I'm using Deejay since his hurtbox was the size of the stage)

I miss playing Rose too. That st.HK. That AA fwd.HK -> spiral -> super. That faux spiral pressure. Only a few top players didn't let Luffy get away with any fake spiral strings on block. really impressive to watch tbh

Yo, I loved blowing up crouch tech with that. It eventually lead to a corner carry because I'd often blow meter on the Shouken FADC to continue. Loved meaty Hadoukens after the Otoshi whiff as well. My Sakura game got a lot better once I applied that.

Rose had it all. Cl.MK was the GOAT. Blew up crouch tech, command grabs, and was perfect with empty jumps.

Damn, I miss SF4.

If there's one problem that SF5 has, (it has a few but this one REALLY bothers me) it's that a few characters including Ken gets such damn good corner carry with little to no resources being spent.

And then you also have the fact that he's one of the deadliest characters to be up against if you're stuck in the corner.

execution has nothing to do with that though and SF4 Vanilla was hardly chess lol. You're judging V with hardly any balance updates.

A few one framers for the pros to style and to reward those Learning the innnards of a character I can agree with. But nah, everyone doesn't need to have one frame links, it's kinda stupid IMO.

Daigo's clean Ryu wasn't chess? SFV's balance direction went more towards football than chess lol

It's not necessarily 1f links that I'm asking for. Just something to spice up the game instead of having it so plain

Yo, I loved blowing up crouch tech with that. It eventually lead to a corner carry because I'd often blow meter on the Shouken FADC to continue. Loved meaty Hadoukens after the Otoshi whiff as well. My Sakura game got a lot better once I applied that.

Rose had it all. Cl.MK was the GOAT. Blew up crouch tech, command grabs, and was perfect with empty jumps.

Damn, I miss SF4.

empty jump cl.MK the gawd

Dahbomb

People wanting 1 frame links when pro players still dropping combos in SFV.

What SFV needs is probably a new mechanic, better limbs, anti airs/less good jump ins. An additional defensive mechanic to escape the throw loops/frame trap pressure in corner would go a long way.

mbpm1

People wanting 1 frame links when pro players still dropping combos in SFV.

What SFV needs is probably a new mechanic, better limbs, anti airs/less good jump ins. An additional defensive mechanic to escape the throw loops/frame trap pressure in corner would go a long way.

there's a lot of things they could do
spending more v-meter for better -vreversals, selectable v-skills/v-triggers to favour different play, etc.

Shadoken

I feel like they should nerf V-meter gained by getting hit and buff V-meter gained by using V-skill.

At least in SF4 the comeback mechanic would do damage and then it was used up. In SFV , that shit is like X factor. Not only does it extend combos to do crazy damage , but if buffs some characters a bit too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom