• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I def don't mind seeing combo execution going away

combos are a single player game. sure, some people will crumble under pressure and that's cool, but most of the time in SF4 you saw, say, daigo, do his typical cMP, cMK, fireball, ultra like a robot (or whatever the combo was) and you knew, because you have studied SF4 and know that whatever he did was a 1 frame link and that's impressive

but it doesn't really _look_ impressive. you've checked your math and know it is impressive but that's different
I don't mind some fiddly combo execution stuff, but if the stuff people are missing are 1 frame links then no thanks. Coming from 3S one of the things I hated most about 4 was how stiff and arbitrary the combos would feel, whereas the things that made the ones in 3S harder were things like getting doing kara cancels, charge partitions, and juggle timings. It's why I like playing as Karin, because her tenko stuff feels akin to that and is satisfying in a similar way.

But I mean SF4 was a game where an input bug was used as a standard input method that was used for every combo. It's dumb.

Skilletor

I'm all for character specific interactions.

MKX did this really well. All the characters had multiple lines of dialogue in their intros for every potential rival in the roster. The animations were always the same, but still, that's a pretty big undertaking given how large the cast of that game was. Would love to see stuff like that in Street Fighter.

NRS is awesome about this. I also liked in MvC3 with all the tag-ins.

Hulk is my favorite, lol. Would love the return of stuff like this in SF5. Or even midmatch dialogue like they have in story mode.

Shadoken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIqxJAyXPqA

Its mostly the same stuff again but I Completely agree with bonchan here on the state of the game and Capcoms balance.
And just like most people , he really likes SFV but wants Capcom to do a better job.

Also just like I was saying , he thinks VSkill and Vtrigger is completely unbalanced between characters. Some chars dont even use it , while others rely on it a lot.

Shadoken

"For him it's really hard for him to express himself through gameplay."

Fucking. This.

Its hilarious to see some of bonchan going.
"I Cant believe this is sooo baaad , this has to be a joke right" while referring to the netcode or balancing.

Edit -
"The guy who created SFV boxer is retarded" - Bonchan 2017
This is freakin hilarious lmao , now i know why Punk looks up to Senpai.

Edzi

Is there really any reason to think Capcom is going to change the game in a substantial way? I think we're stuck with the staleness for *at least* another year, and possibly for the entirety of the games life.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The funny thing is that I strongly disliked SF4 at first. Eventually it became one of my fav SF games ever.

I like SFV and think it's a solid game. I prefer SF4 because my main (Rose) perfectly aligned with my style of play. I was also able to vary my style depending on the matchup. I liked the fact that I could play offensive or defensive with her whenever I felt like it. Another character that I loved was Sakura. I remember how difficult it was hitting Tatsu loops, but once I was able to do those consistently, she became much more enjoyable to play.

Above all else, I found most of the cast pretty enjoyable. Those two were my best characters, but I had various mains before that because learning new characters made the game more fun.

I mainly play Cammy, Nash, and Guile in V. Outside of that, I don't really enjoy the cast in V as much as the previous game.

SF4 had its own problems, Rose backdash, among others, is fraudulent as hell.

1-frame links were stupid

Super jab fighter: Crouch tech edition.

Character balance was worse.

...overall, still prefered it though.

Producer

Is there really any reason to think Capcom is going to change the game in a substantial way? I think we're stuck with the staleness for *at least* another year, and possibly for the entirety of the games life.

nah, this is pretty much what we're gonna be playing for the rest of sfv's life imo

Village

I miss character specific interactions in SF in general. A3 had a ton of them. Some even had different ones depending on what -ISM the character was in I think (Ryu v. Sagat)??

SFXT had some in the story

My favorite is Xaoiyu saying that Cammy and Chun li had tramp clothes, and Cammy like for the first time in her existence, thought about what she actually was wearing. She legit looked self conscious that shit was hilarious. She looked like she was thinking

" I... I don't wear tramp clothes....my clothes are cool.... right? I look cool right?"

mbpm1

nah, this is pretty much what we're gonna be playing for the rest of sfv's life imo

How different was Ultra from SFIV vanilla?

SFXT had some in the story

My favorite is Xaoiyu saying that Cammy and Chun li had tramp clothes, and Cammy like for the first time in her existence, thought about what she actually was wearing. She legit looked self conscious that shit was hilarious. She looked like she was thinking

" I... I don't wear tramp clothes....my clothes are cool.... right? I look cool right?"
is cammy also a clone? maybe she is just mentally 16

MrCarter

Its mostly the same stuff again but I Completely agree with bonchan here on the state of the game and Capcoms balance.
And just like most people , he really likes SFV but wants Capcom to do a better job.

Also just like I was saying , he thinks VSkill and Vtrigger is completely unbalanced between characters. Some chars dont even use it , while others rely on it a lot.

Agree with some stuff in the interview but not everything. He's saying it's difficult to express himself and his style of play but from his Nash you can tell he plays him very differently than Infiltration. Definitely don't agree that 2.1 patch Nash will be "nothing" he's getting a lot of stuff back and will be much better than what he is now. Bless that translator though, struggling with some of that interpretation.

Also Low tiergod in the comments saying the interview is too long *facepalms*

Skilletor

Agree with some stuff in the interview but not everything. He's saying it's difficult to express himself and his style of play but from his Nash you can tell he plays him very differently than Infiltration. Definitely don't agree that 2.1 patch Nash will be "nothing" he's getting a lot of stuff back and will be much better than what he is now. Bless that translator though, struggling with some of that interpretation.

Also Low tiergod in the comments saying the interview is too long *facepalms*

Yeah, then they nerfed Charlie so that you couldn't play him like Infiltration did.

Hyun Sai

Wow, Bonchan really goes no bullshit mode.

In short :

He can't believe the online in so bad (even in Japan compared to other games) and thinks Capcom didn't even test it.

He can't believe the first season 2 "balancing" (made by babies if I heard right). Would have prefered a more soft approach and not seeing characters destroyed.

"Capcom doesn't understand balancing". Many characters V-Skills are so much useful than the others.

"The guy who created the concept of Boxer is retarded"

"He would rather play any other fighting games (SFV is the worst even if he don't dislike it and the base concept is good) but he is in for the money, so..." Holy Shit.

The translator seems like even embarrassed to say it out loud, that was hilarious (don't shoot the messenger).

All I have to say as a former Deejay player and seeing how they nerfed many Vega tools (V-skill LOL) :"Welcome to the party pal" !

In regards to expressing oneself through gameplay, I always found that a bit of an unfair criticism towards SF5, as you're always limited to your character's capabilities in any given traditional fighting game. You're not going to take a grappler and turn them into a zoner, your expression is based on your character choice and how well you can get results. To this end, I get more expression out of Punk's Karin with him using her optimally and actually having effective use of her tools versus, say, Justin's who keeps it basic and fundamental.

MrCarter

Yeah, then they nerfed Charlie so that you couldn't play him like Infiltration did.

Possibly. I see what you are saying but even season 1 Nash you can tell they would have different types of play like you do currently with Fuudo's and Du's Mika. What he said about 2.1 changing "nothing" (which is false) about Nash and then in the next question saying, actually, 2.1 patch looks interesting, is baffling though. Probably something lost in translation to be honest.

Bonchan sippin that sponsor after every question lol.

Skilletor

In regards to expressing oneself through gameplay, I always found that a bit of an unfair criticism towards SF5, as you're always limited to your character's capabilities in any given traditional fighting game. You're not going to take a grappler and turn them into a zoner, your expression is based on your character choice and how well you can get results. To this end, I get more expression out of Punk's Karin with him using her optimally and actually having effective use of her tools versus, say, Justin's who keeps it basic and fundamental.

It's not unfair at all. I can tell the difference between two people playing Sol in GG. I can tell the difference between Ryu and Choi's Daigo in ST. I can tell the difference between Infiltration's Akuma and Tokido's in SF4.

Show me two videos unnamed of any SF5 player and odds are they will look mostly the same.

Yeah, Punk is more optimized, but he doesn't play her any different. It's just the final form of what everybody that uses the character is trying to do.

Bonchan sippin that sponsor after every question lol.

I don't know if I've ever seen him without redbull, lol.

That was a great interview.
Thanks for sharing!

It's not unfair at all. I can tell the difference between two people playing Sol in GG. I can tell the difference between Ryu and Choi's Daigo in ST. I can tell the difference between Infiltration's Akuma and Tokido's in SF4.
I can tell the difference between Punk and Justin's Karin in SF5. Du and Daigo's Guile. Daigo and Tokido's Ryu. Does anyone even use regular Ressenha outside of Punk? Expression, in terms of fighting games, is how effectively you use the tools within your character's limitations, and that very much exists here.

Skilletor

I can tell the difference between Punk and Justin's Karin in SF5. Du and Daigo's Guile. Daigo and Tokido's Ryu. Does anyone even use regular Ressenha outside of Punk? Expression, in terms of fighting games, is how effectively you use the tools within your character's limitations, and that very much exists here.

The people putting in the time (and others) don't seem to agree.

Dahbomb

Yeah I don't really agree with Bonchan on the design of Balrog.

I think Balrog's design is very interesting. He plays more to his character and look... which is a brawler than a finesse out boxer (which is what Dudley is). He has a lot of tools to keep it interesting, both to get in and apply pressure. He's a lot of fun to play when you get into the flow of him. Is he the most solid, fundamental based character? No especially not compared to OG Balrog but he's definitely a hell of a lot more fun and true to his design/style.

The failure of Balrog in SFV is his balancing not the design. He does too much damage plain and simple. It's an easy fix. Maybe Tap is too good but I feel like the Tap move makes the most sense now than it ever has.

But it is very easy to tell the difference among the Balrog players. You can tell the difference among Iwate, Smug and Balrog. Iwate plays like classic Balrog, PRBalrog plays more offensive where as Smug plays in the middle but more optimum. PRBalrog uses more taps, Smug plays with more mediums in neutral buffered into Dash punch like he used to with Dudley (and getting those coveted whiff punishes).

I can understand the frustration of Bonchan as it is very hard to throw fireballs against Balrog. He eats up Guile's Booms, he will definitely eat up Nash's booms. But you won't hear Itazan complaining much about Boxer as he gets to beat them for free.

Balrog's v-skill is freaking amazing. It makes fireballs absolutely pointless lmao. I was enjoying feeling like I broke the fireball game with Balrog for those couple of days I used him in the beta. I should have spent my FM on him instead of Guile.
Honestly, his V-Skill should be parry. Just give the CH status to his VT on top of the clothesline.
His v-skill is okay enough now. The focus should be on buffing his AA normals a bit more, giving him a real wakeup option (or two) and further buffing his midrange game in a way that makes him more interesting (read: not just S1 cr.mp and cr.mk pokes). Not gonna hold my breath for season 3 or 3.5, though.

Edzi

Yeah, I don't think I agree with this, and Daigo vs. Du is a terrible example. Daigo isn't even playing the game at this point.

Shadoken

Yeah I don't really agree with Bonchan on the design of Balrog.

I think Balrog's design is very interesting. He plays more to his character and look... which is a brawler than a finesse out boxer (which is what Dudley is). He has a lot of tools to keep it interesting, both to get in and apply pressure. He's a lot of fun to play when you get into the flow of him. Is he the most solid, fundamental based character? No especially not compared to OG Balrog but he's definitely a hell of a lot more fun and true to his design/style.

The failure of Balrog in SFV is his balancing not the design. He does too much damage plain and simple. It's an easy fix. Maybe Tap is too good but I feel like the Tap move makes the most sense now than it ever has.

But it is very easy to tell the difference among the Balrog players. You can tell the difference among Iwate, Smug and Balrog. Iwate plays like classic Balrog, PRBalrog plays more offensive where as Smug plays in the middle but more optimum. PRBalrog uses more taps, Smug plays with more mediums in neutral buffered into Dash punch like he used to with Dudley (and getting those coveted whiff punishes).

It could be a mistranslation. Maybe he intended to say S2 Balrog's balancing idea.

Dahbomb

Oh I can easily tell the difference between ChrisG's Guile and Du's Guile.

ChrisG's Guile is far more textbook Guile where as Du's Guile is more in your face. ChrisG's Guile highly favors the st.M pressure over Du. Du is better at Flash Kicks than ChrisG who relies more on the d+HP anti air. Du uses more America's Favorite Punch over ChrisG. In fact Du is overall better at maintaining charges than ChrisG is because he has more experience. But ChrisG has better defense.

And that's more broad differences, there are smaller differences between the two that you can pick up when watching both of them play.

Skilletor

It could be a mistranslation. Maybe he intended to say S2 Balrog's balancing idea.

I would assume that's what he meant.

Oh I can easily tell the difference between ChrisG's Guile and Du's Guile.

ChrisG's Guile is far more textbook Guile where as Du's Guile is more in your face. ChrisG's Guile highly favors the st.M pressure over Du. Du is better at Flash Kicks than ChrisG who relies more on the d+HP anti air. Du uses more America's Favorite Punch over ChrisG. In fact Du is overall better at maintaining charges than ChrisG is because he has more experience. But ChrisG has better defense.

And that's more broad differences, there are smaller differences between the two that you can pick up when watching both of them play.

I would agree with this, but I also think Guile is one of the best designed characters in the game. Him, Urien, several S1 characters all allow for more nuance between playstyles. More characters need to allow for that diversity instead of Capcom nerfing them into a box.

Dahbomb

Yeah S2 Balrog is definitely overtuned.

If he has 3 bars and he lands 2 CCs on you.. you actually die. This is not a hyperbole.. these are the facts. You can die from two hits off of Balrog because you had the audacity to use your buttons.

Kashiwaba

The people putting in the time (and others) don't seem to agree.

As a rashid player i can see a huge difference between John takeuchi, Gachikun and oild king rashids where john plays Rashid like some MvC character while Gachikun is more about grounded playstyle and spacing.

MCD250

Don't think I agree with the notion that there is no individuality in playstyles in this game.

*Do* agree with the notion that Balrog is busted as hell (though I wish Bonchan had expressed himself differently when talking about that).

vulva

Yeah S2 Balrog is definitely overtuned.

If he has 3 bars and he lands 2 CCs on you.. you actually die. This is not a hyperbole.. these are the facts. You can die from two hits off of Balrog because you had the audacity to use your buttons.

Isn't that almost the entire cast, though?

mbpm1

Daigo's guile is indeed very different from ISDD, Du, and Chris G. Daigo's Guile is trash, while the others are good.

Similarly, the differences between Justin, Shine, and Punk is that Punk uses Karin the right way and the others don't use it as well.

Hyun Sai

Isn't that almost the entire cast, though?

With 3 bars without V-Trigger ? No, I don't think so. Unless Dahbomb scenario was with V-Trigger.

I forgot ISDD Guile, indeed different because if ISDD doesnt do a good quota of flash kick per match he may actually die IRL.

Btw, the translator is actually a former student of Topanga during the SF4 era. He's been living in the US for a while now as he's going to school over here.

Oh ye of little faith. Daigo's sandbagging is the ultimate form of expression. (one example aside, I do think there's a good amount of variance in playstyles, and in fact a good amount of character variety that the overlap isn't a big issue to begin with)

Nash is one character that should have had a little more variance though, so I can see where he's coming from. Maybe not hit-and-run full stop, but a little more speed won't hurt him. And the meter stealing mechanic is such a cool thing, it'd be nice if his v-skill was able to be used more so he can get stuff going on a constant basis against non-fireball people.

wins2

Neo Member
Nash is one character that should have had a little more variance though, so I can see where he's coming from. Maybe not hit-and-run full stop, but a little more speed won't hurt him. And the meter stealing mechanic is such a cool thing, it'd be nice if his v-skill was able to be used more so he can get stuff going on a constant basis against non-fireball people.

Didn't they give nash a v-skill target combo?

mbpm1

Oh ye of little faith. Daigo's sandbagging is the ultimate form of expression. (one example aside, I do think there's a good amount of variance in playstyles, and in fact a good amount of character variety that the overlap isn't a big issue to begin with)

I mean I do think there's variance.

It's just that I think SFV is a game with only one or two answers in many scenarios.

"You flipped the coin the other way," is kinda eh as far as that goes. So is "you flipped the coin 2 milliseconds later" aka almost every shimmy situation's resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom