• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I haven't played fighters for long but I know fighters on PC have good few months and then it drops. Drops harder if netcode is crap.

SF4 and now SFV are pretty much the only fighting games on PC that stay active. It's a shame since PC is where I play most of the time, and it's where my fight stick works.

Which tournament?

Redbull is hosting some tournament regional thing this weekend. I assume they do this all over the place. It's no big deal, because I didn't expect to place, but I do want to do decent at some casual matches.

Nut is a state of mind my friend

True, but to be nut, you gotta find the right character to let you be a nut. Like, you can definitely be a nut with Necalli, but for whatever reason I can't just do shit and not worry like I do with Urien. Bison's even worse, because I can't keep pressure up.

But drop an input with Urien? No worries, I can translate that into something where I pretend like I meant to do it. Wakeup EX headbutt catches them the first time, and the second time they expect it, so I just grab them.

Ucchedavāda;235502284 said:
That was probably back when that one guy who developed the server infrastructure still worked with Capcom.

"one guy" didn't develop what capcom uses for CFN, it's something they licensed from another company, the "one guy" just implemented it, which is normal, you don't need an army of 50 programmers to implement middleware.

vulva

Good games earlier this morning, Vulva. I don't know what direction you plan to go in, but Cammy seems like your best bet going forward. I could tell it was still early, but I think your Cammy shows a lot of promise. Her spin knuckle is really hard to deal with at first. It wasn't even on my radar up until now. That right there feels like a good v-skill. The backdashing game during those sets was also hilarious. Strangest wakeup game I've experienced in any fighter lol.

ggs, my Guile was literally my 2nd time playing him against anyone so I'll have to learn more. Cammy is fun to mess with, but I don't think I have the execution or reactions to hit confirms to play her effectively.

Also, honestly, I was using vskill way too much. As soon as you see it, just hit a button and it's pretty bad unless I do a meaty setup.

As for the backdashes, that's because I wasn't getting punished badly for doing it. If you did dash in command throw that could get me out of the situation (not to blame lag but it would have been different without the wonky netcode in terms of me being able to neutral jump after a couple backdsahes), and if you hit me on the backdash I noticed you weren't converting off the CCs. I've come to realize that wake up backdash is effectively the same as the pushback tech that was from s1. If you hit me with a non CC normal, I'll be airborne making the combo drop and I can punish off that, the only real risk is a CC as a converted punish.

Wasn't it some mobile company though?

The servers that Capcom run are apparently based on a "server engine" developed by ProudNet (company website, see Showcase). But Capcom would still have to develop their specific game infrastructure on top on whatever services that ProudNet provides. And it seems that they had one person working on that, who no longer works at Capcom (thread).

And to be fair to ProudNet, I don't think that we know enough to conclude that the problems that SFV are having is their fault. For all we know ProudNet could be offering a great product, but Capcom just did a poor job of using it.

"one guy" didn't develop what capcom uses for CFN, it's something they licensed from another company, the "one guy" just implemented it, which is normal, you don't need an army of 50 programmers to implement middleware.

One guy claims to have been solely responsible for "Design/ architect/ program/ operate SFV server section", "Covering full vertical. HW, Network, and SW", and more. See the link above. But I am not critiquing the number of people involved, but rather suggesting that the loss of know-how when he left could have negatively impacted the operation and maintenance of whatever stack he built.

When SF5 launched, literally all you could do was training, survival mode, and those shitty prologues that you can finish in like 45 minutes (and local multiplayer, if you're lucky to have friends who play SF at your level). No arcade mode, no training mode (yet), no story mode (yet), matchmaking didn't work, battle lounge didn't work, servers completely failed. I took two days off for SF5's launch and I barely even got to play the damned thing.

They had FOUR BETAS, FOUR! And online was still fucking broken at launch. FOUR BETAS!
that might've just been you because in the first couple days I was playing fine with no issues at all. fake news tbh

Edzi

Redbull is hosting some tournament regional thing this weekend. I assume they do this all over the place. It's no big deal, because I didn't expect to place, but I do want to do decent at some casual matches.

True, but to be nut, you gotta find the right character to let you be a nut. Like, you can definitely be a nut with Necalli, but for whatever reason I can't just do shit and not worry like I do with Urien. Bison's even worse, because I can't keep pressure up.

But drop an input with Urien? No worries, I can translate that into something where I pretend like I meant to do it. Wakeup EX headbutt catches them the first time, and the second time they expect it, so I just grab them.

Norcal Rivals? I might go there this weekend to try and redeem myself after going 0-2 in the first one.

Though tbh I haven't really been feeling the game as much lately, so who knows.

Ucchedavāda;235505041 said:
One guy claims to have been solely responsible for "Design/ architect/ program/ operate SFV server section", "Covering full vertical. HW, Network, and SW", and more. See the link above. But I am not critiquing the number of people involved, but rather suggesting that the loss of know-how when he left could have negatively impacted the operation and maintenance of whatever stack he built.

This literally changes nothing about what I said.

Marvel

could never
giphy.gif
It won't.
kgyT0EQ.jpg

I'm just tryin' to be positive!

lol

Norcal Rivals? I might go there this weekend to try and redeem myself after going 0-2 in the first one.

Though tbh I haven't really been feeling the game as much lately, so who knows.

Nah, this one is in Chicago. Although I do want to go through the Cal scene at some point this year.

Ucchedavāda;235508968 said:
Then I am afraid that I don't see your point.

My point was made the first time, one guy didn't develop the server infrastructure, it's already developed, that's what middleware is, he implemented it.

How long does it take to learn Mika

971.gif

Longer than you probably have time for. I would not recommend playing Mika in a tournament setting unless you've got time to learn at least one setup for every situation, and that's not even getting into the character-specific gameplans necessary in certain matchups.

If you wanna learn a nutty grappler before this weekend, I'd shoot for Laura or even Gief.

What happened? I just found out that I'm blocked from his twitter.

It has to be from the time he called a black dude a monkey and I said something about it. That's the one and only time I've ever seen his page.

Spab tried to set up a fight between LTG and Punk. Punk said he'd have to get paid to face someone irrelevant like that. LTG called him piano teeth, and Punk put him in his place reminding him that he works at Goodwill and doesn't win tournaments.

LTG then goes on a seven Tweet rant about Punk forgetting that LTG himself drinks piss.

Truly a Sophie's choice.

I'll give it to Brian because he's a smart dude. Really should start teaching.

Spab tried to set up a fight between LTG and Punk. Punk said he'd have to get paid to face someone irrelevant like that. LTG called him piano teeth, and Punk put him in his place reminding him that he works at Goodwill and doesn't win tournaments.

LTG then goes on a seven Tweet rant about Punk forgetting that LTG himself drinks piss.
That's funny because I remember Yuck Mouth saying he wouldn't say anything about Punk's teeth due to his own grill being mauled and crazy looking like a great white shark.

Chris G with seven different excuses per minute.

That's funny because I remember Yuck Mouth saying he wouldn't say anything about Punk's teeth due to his own grill being mauled and crazy looking like a great white shark.

You should know by now that LTG never sticks to his word.

I usually pick a costume/colour and stick with it, but as of the latest update Mika's got so many great options that I've found myself switching between Colour 10 on her Battle Outfit, Colour 14 on her Story costume, and Colour 4 on her Cheerleader costume. It's so hard to pick just one; I've never been faced with a crisis like this before...

Akihidas

I picked this up the other day and for the first time have tried to properly learn how to play a fighting game (Despite owning quite a few, they're mainly for when friends are over).

Been playing Cammy, things seem to be going pretty well (Attempted one ranked and won woooo) but was looking to see if there were any battle lounges people here host to practice? I seem to get such a wild variation in skill in my matchups and connection stability, so I figured I'd check out here.

cr.mk xx HK arrow seems to fuck with a lot of people on casual, I rely on it way too much.

MrCarter

I picked this up the other day and for the first time have tried to properly learn how to play a fighting game (Despite owning quite a few, they're mainly for when friends are over).

Been playing Cammy, things seem to be going pretty well (Attempted one ranked and won woooo) but was looking to see if there were any battle lounges people here host to practice? I seem to get such a wild variation in skill in my matchups and connection stability, so I figured I'd check out here.

cr.mk xx HK arrow seems to fuck with a lot of people on casual, I rely on it way too much.

Depends which side of the world you are from for a solid connection but there are people here from EU, NA and Asia if you want to have a few sets. Check out r/StreetFighter on Reddit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom