• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

capcom should have a side mode like ovrwatch does where they just fuck up the mechanics and throw random shit. not the ptr, the random weekly game mode or whatever.

One of the things they could do in that mode is give everyone comboable overheads.

Some heavy atks yeah for sure. I was thinking more of stuff like mediums and some specials.

yeah, I'm always surprised when I actually hit karin after a missed- vskill

catmincer

I grabbed this today. It's actually really fun, got the PSN deal with the season one pass. I bought Kolin with my ingame currency already. Any clues as to who the upcoming ones might be? I'd be super happy if Rose is back.

mbpm1

I grabbed this today. It's actually really fun, got the PSN deal with the season one pass. I bought Kolin with my ingame currency already. Any clues as to who the upcoming ones might be? I'd be super happy if Rose is back.

Rose is probably not going to be back for a while. This season is apparently characters that are new (not been playable in a previous SF before)

But we took 50 health from him. ADAPT! For me, it's dashes. Dashes are making me seriously done with this game. These fucking dashes kill the neutral. This shit is not fun.
You gotta play SFV like it's the exact opposite of 3S. In 3S you are always taking small microsteps forward looking for the parry, but in SFV you gotta take small backward microsteps constantly or you'll get blown up by EX booms, dash punches, standing medium kicks and crush counters. I only realized this last night when I realized that I'd blocked like 60% (honestly it felt like more, but I'll be conservative) of a Guile's midrange or closer EX booms. Those things simply can't be reacted to at a distance shorter than character and a half length or so imo.
TJ Combo in Killer Instinct is actually kinda worse.

Imagine if Balrog's dash punch had armor, could be cancelled into a command grab, could be cancelled into a backwards roll or could be cancelled into an overhead.

Fun times.
Sound's almost like Anji Mito's Fuujin followups.

This is going to be an incredibly unpopular opinion.

But at this point, I'd rather have USF4 back. I'm sick and tired of the horrible systems and balance in SFV.

Is that because of the game, or the character choice? Would you be jazzed about 4 if you were, say, a Hakan main throughout? Even now I find 5 far less egregious than 4 was throughout most of its life. Though I can't really talk much about Ultra because by then I was long since checked out of 4, though I do remember it launching in a pretty jank state.

Mainly because of the game and it's systems ,not so much the character choice. Granted Vanilla SF4 was pretty shit but it got a lot better to play. I'd personally rather have too many options than too few which is a big problem in SFV.

And it was FUN to play against most of the cast, same just can't be said here.

I seriously don't remember having fun playing against Yun, Cammy, Seth, Akuma, Ibuki, or a bunch others.

Though I suppose it depends on the person as to whether or not a character is fun to fight against in conjunction with how much they like the system. The only character I don't have fun fighting against is Balrog, but that's usually when I'm using Nash. If I'm using Necalli, who Rog beats (IIRC), I'm not too fussed as much because I can at least hit him out of his rekkas (though getting hit by TAP will always fucking suck).

Then again, I'm playing someone with a 3f jab. If I didn't have that, well...

Game still needs more options. Hopefully the v-stuff kicks in more, because I really like that concept.

I just couldn't do it personally. The focus attack system is perhaps the most convoluted in any mainline Street Fighter, the over-reliance on tight links even in BNBs versus the braindead ease of reversals in a delay-based netcode, Ultras guaranteeing you have to be on the lookout for possible randomness from some online goon every match, and honestly I found most matches considerably more formulaic there. I'd hit someone up in Super Turbo, Alpha 2, or 3S any day, but I don't want to touch 4 again if I can help it.

ibrahima

Banned
Is that because of the game, or the character choice? Would you be jazzed about 4 if you were, say, a Hakan main throughout? Even now I find 5 far less egregious than 4 was throughout most of its life. Though I can't really talk much about Ultra because by then I was long since checked out of 4, though I do remember it launching in a pretty jank state.

Hakan main signing in. 4 was a lot of fun. 5 is missing some of the positive qualities from it. 4 still had issues and made mistakes but for playing amongst my local scene it had reached a happy equilibrium and we still play ultra every so often.

5 is constrained by capcom's approach to refining and changing the game. At its core it is still a good (or ok) game, but the way it is being managed and delivered is really poor.

The fact that we are roughly within two months of EVO occurring and we still don't know when an entirely new character and fairly significant balance change is meant to drop is pretty bad. We had the same with Ultra and people weren't happy, yet they're still doing the same thing years later.

Hakan main signing in. 4 was a lot of fun. 5 is missing some of the positive qualities from it. 4 still had issues and made mistakes but for playing amongst my local scene it had reached a happy equilibrium and we still play ultra every so often.

5 is constrained by capcom's approach to refining and changing the game. At its core it is still a good (or ok) game, but the way it is being managed and delivered is really poor.

The fact that we are roughly within two months of EVO occurring and we still don't know when an entirely new character and fairly significant balance change is meant to drop is pretty bad. We had the same with Ultra and people weren't happy, yet they're still doing the same thing years later.
At this point they may as well announce a delay for the balance update. They can release it a few weeks after EVO to make sure they've got as much data as possible. Then they can afford to further buff struggling characters like Nash, Alex, Chun and Juri (Fang and Ryu might be fine now, but it can't hurt to spice them up just a bit more). A post EVO mid-year update should have been part of the balancing process from the very start anyway. Once a year is dumb.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I think something is wrong right now, It's not finding anything for me either which isn't normal. It just hangs on the "waiting for your opponent" screen.

Had the same problem last night when trying to play some Casual matches. Switched to player lobbies and had no problems.

ibrahima

Banned
At this point they may as well announce a delay for the balance update. They can release it a few weeks after EVO to make sure they've got as much data as possible. Then they can afford to further buff struggling characters like Nash, Alex, Chun and Juri (Fang and Ryu might be fine now, but it can't hurt to spice them up just a bit more). A post EVO mid-year update should have been part of the balancing process from the very start anyway. Once a year is dumb.

It's somewhat of a catch 22 unfortunately. On the one hand we often have (and want to have) the hot new thing coming out around EVO, it adds to the dynamic of the event and serves a decent promotional benefit to publishers.

On the other hand players and viewers might want the game to be in a relatively 'known' state. We don't want unfair advantages; particularly those due to perceived shortcomings in the game, which can come about from a game being played during it's emergent, post-launch phase. A promotional launch event is forgiven for these kind of issues, but evo isn't a promotional launch event for most of these games.

In some ways we have the worst of both worlds with SFV right now, capcom have showed their hand and made clear that they want to make significant changes to the game, but they aren't doing enough right now to avoid impacting the tour and can't seem to hold to their timetable.

Mainly because of the game and it's systems ,not so much the character choice. Granted Vanilla SF4 was pretty shit but it got a lot better to play. I'd personally rather have too many options than too few which is a big problem in SFV.

See thats opposite for me. If you didn't play a character with a good backdash and a fireball, you were only making it harder on yourself. Gief in V is more fun for me to play than IV.

Some characters in V are certainly thriving off the systems in place, just like certain characters thrived off systems in place in IV.

mbpm1

It was more fun to play against the cast, but that was also because it was more fun to play as myself. I ran around with Ultra Ken, so I had a good time. Options for every situation, great footsies, great anti-airs, just low damage (but you could get some more if you spent meter).

It was more fun to play against the cast, but that was also because it was more fun to play as myself. I ran around with Ultra Ken, so I had a good time. Options for every situation, great footsies, great anti-airs, just low damage (but you could get some more if you spent meter).
This is true, I just felt like I had more options and more variability than I do in SFV, regardless of what character I pick. I guess THAT's the thing I miss the most.

I'm locked into a very specific role whenever I pick a character, whereas I had slightly more freedom with how I choose to go about things in previous games.

Pompadour

But at this point, I'd rather have USF4 back. I'm sick and tired of the horrible systems and balance in SFV.

Well, you can have USF4 back. People still play USF4 online. It's Street Fighter so it's still going to be easier to find a match than if you were playing Xrd or KOFXIV.

MrCarter

Although USF4 was better than the previous entries in SF4 it was still horribly balanced and bloated with cheap mechanics (FADC/focus) and unnecessary 1-frame links that it would be hard for me to go back to. I think you can pick up USF4 for around $5 on steam though and there are still a few people playing online if you want a go.

mbpm1

This is true, I just felt like I had more options and more variability than I do in SFV, regardless of what character I pick. I guess THAT's the thing I miss the most.

I'm locked into a very specific role whenever I pick a character, whereas I had slightly more freedom with how I choose to go about things in previous games.

Basically what I'm saying is if they put Ultra Ken in the game, gave him some crush counters that didn't lead to nuttiness, some decent oki I'd be in there. I'd take FANG levels of low damage if I had to.

Well, you can have USF4 back. People still play USF4 online. It's Street Fighter so it's still going to be easier to find a match than if you were playing Xrd or KOFXIV.

Although USF4 was better than the previous entries in SF4 it was still horribly balanced and bloated with cheap mechanics (FADC/focus) and unnecessary 1-frame links that it would be hard for me to go back to. I think you can pick up USF4 for around $5 on steam though and there are still a few people playing online if you want a go.
Hmm. Damn near no one is gonna be playing the PC version in my region but I bet I can still get something from the PS4 version. Darn, I wish it was on sale right now too :(

Basically what I'm saying is if they put Ultra Ken in the game, gave him some crush counters that didn't lead to nuttiness, some decent oki I'd be in there. I'd take FANG levels of low damage if I had to.
Ahh ok, I see what you mean. I agree with that general sentiment. USF4 Ken was pretty darn fun.

FADC/Focus was cheap? lol, I fully understand that Focus in neutral was stupid, but I really enjoyed it as a way to extend combos and provide characters with opportunities that wouldn't have been there without it.

If were talking about a game with bloated mechanics then SFxT would be more accurate imo. Outside of FADC/Focus what are the other mechanics that made SF4 feel bloated?

if you thought Ken's s1 air ex tatsu was good ...whew lad

On launch day, the servers were pretty much down the entire time. I feel like you were either lucky or are remembering wrong.

fake news. I was playing fine, battle lounges fine, ranked fine everything was fine. the servers on day 1 were working perfectly as intended. I think you gotta check ya service provider and upgrade tbh

I'm not finding any matches. Is this the end?

simpsons-vet-hamster-o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom