• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompadour

Haven't played in forever but it's sad to see so many people upset with the game.

I haven't been playing much this year due to time consuming games like Yakuza 0, Nioh, and Persona 5 but every time I do play I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying myself. I'll struggle to go back to those other games because just playing online is much more immediate fun.

Full disclosure: I've been maining Balrog since he was released so the only way the game negatively impacts me is probably the server issues. However, for a few months I've been finding matches within seconds and they're all nearly lag free so it's been smooth sailing.

Honestly, I think if I didn't read GAF my opinion of SFV would be much higher.

mbpm1

I foresee Kolin's V-Skill getting a nerf once people start getting better with her. It recovers way too fast (on whiff and block) considering how good and spammable it is, and I've had Kolins punish me clean after I jump over it.

Nah, it's punishable enough.

I foresee Kolin's V-Skill getting a nerf once people start getting better with her. It recovers way too fast (on whiff and block) considering how good and spammable it is, and I've had Kolins punish me clean after I jump over it.

You can't punish her -7 OB Vskill?

jett

D-Member
95% of gaf posters saying they're gonna play gg or tekken are gonna drop it within a month lol

I dropped Xrd in five hours. I guess I only bought it on PC to look at the pretty shiny graphics for a while. :p GG games are so not for me.

Tekken tho. I'm all over that.

Pompadour

aren't there good starter characters like Slayer and Leo?

I haven't played Xrd, but Answer has me wanting to, tbh

Slayer is pretty bad but there's plenty of beginner characters that are also good. I play Slayer because style is more important than actually winning.

How long I stick with Rev 2 depends on the online. If Ranked work I'd play it all the time.

Tecl0n

I wonder what kind of traction T7 will have in South America. SFV is quite good in that regard, can find matches without too much fuss.

giphy.gif

That health nerf will surely make a difference.

Skilletor

"Sf5 is not Street Fighter at all!!" After saying he has only played SF4.

Well, we went 10 years w/o a new SF. Somebody that was, say, 15 or 16 when SF4 came out might never have even played a previous SF.

For a very, very large contingent of players, SF4 IS SF to them.

I don't agree with it, but I have to acknowledge that's true when I discuss "what street fighter is" with people.

MrCarter

"Sf5 is not Street Fighter at all!!" After saying he has only played SF4.

Yeah that made me laugh. He only played that game competitively and while I understand that he might not have been around to play SF2, Alpha or 3, to make hyperbolic claims like that, when every iteration plays differently, is just silly. He needs to play SF3 (which this game is loosely based off) to feel how a SF game plays and it's part of the reason why I enjoy SFV - due to it reminding me of that game. Just bring back Oro, Q and Sean already.

Edzi

Yeah that made me laugh. He only played that game competitively and while I understand that he might not have been around to play SF2, Alpha or 3, to make hyperbolic claims like that, when every iteration plays differently, is just silly. He needs to play SF3 (which this game is loosely based off) to feel how a SF game plays and it's part of the reason why I enjoy SFV - due to it reminding me of that game. Just bring back Oro, Q and Sean already.

Wasn't SF3 one of the most non sf sf games of all time?

MrCarter

Possibly but to me it was what defined it. Maybe that's why I don't agree with him, as he comes from the "09" era so he thinks SF4 was what defined SF. However, due to me having a different and better experience with the Alpha and SF3 games, I think differently. SFV, for me, reminds me of SF3, which wasn't popular but was very highly praised in terms of solid gameplay and fundamentals. Of course it had issues too but which SF doesn't lol.

Rocket Racoon just got a mini-trailer on twitter but Ed gets squat. lol

I just saw it. Groot!

Skilletor

As a pretty old fighting game player, it is amusing to me to see how opinions have changed regarding SF entries as a whole.

SF3 was absolutely considered a terrible SF game. People complained about the easy inputs in that game (and now I hear people saying they're strict), being able to cancel specials into supers was considered super scrubby, something that they took from the EX games.

I always hated SF3 as an SF game, but I think it's an amazing fighter without those expectations.

Pompadour

He already had one, it's called 8 mile

Slim Shadaloo.

As a pretty old fighting game player, it is amusing to me to see how opinions have changed regarding SF entries as a whole.

SF3 was absolutely considered a terrible SF game. People complained about the easy inputs in that game (and now I hear people saying they're strict), being able to cancel specials into supers was considered super scrubby, something that they took from the EX games.

I always hated SF3 as an SF game, but I think it's an amazing fighter without those expectations.

Street Fighter probably feels the most different between games than any fighting game franchise. Games like Tekken really feel like a concept that was iterated upon repeatedly (also literally as some of the animations stuck around for multiple games) whereas with SF it feels like they started from scratch.

And there's definitely some revisionist history going on. The fact that people look back on SFxT fondly is all the proof I need on how quickly the narrative can turn. I thought a lot of the complaints about SFxT were completely ridiculous and I dislike that game, even after it's final update, considerably more than SFV. SFV's problems are way less defensible than SFxT's but SFxT got a lot of undeserved shit and sold roughly the same as V.

LakeEarth

Last night I was obsessed with landing an OTG with Urien's super. The only way to do that midscreen is to sweep cancelled into v-trigger, get the crush counter on the sweep, then dash forward and immediately super. Fucking, not worth it man. Never do this.

Last night I was obsessed with landing an OTG with Urien's super. The only way to do that midscreen is to sweep cancelled into v-trigger, get the crush counter on the sweep, then dash forward and immediately super. Fucking, not worth it man. Never do this.

imagine how hype it would be if you land it tho

MrCarter

Character #4 is out in June, supposedly, and we were told Ed's delay won't impact any other character's releases.

I don't know with Capcom. I'll have to see it to believe it. Excited to try out the new CFN though as I didn't have a chance last time due to not having a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom