• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD250

You guys seen the matches between Team World (Nuckledu, Xian and Ricki Ortiz) and Team Japan (Fuudo, Kazunoko and Haitani) from that tournament the other day? Looks like some of the matches are being posted on YouTube.

Nuckledu vs Fuudo (they played a set before this one too, but it looks like that one's not on YouTube yet):

https://youtu.be/aEmuzeDABg0

Nuckledu vs Kazunoko

https://youtu.be/89KXcphUZH0

Ricki vs Kazunoko

https://youtu.be/8wlFGBDLz0w

Xian vs Haitani

https://youtu.be/KPlP24XlZQs

As a Mika player, I prefer fighting Guile than S2 Laura. On paper, Guile is the worst MU she has by far, but it's what you said: hard reads. If you can be patient and see through the opponent's patterns, one jump-in and you're in there. You just need to block for a long while and continue walking, even if you're being pushed back by the booms. Eventually, they'll become complacent, and that's the critical moment when you punish them for it.

I think I'd've had an easier time as Mika to be honest; at least her Wingless Airplane can catch backjumps on reaction better than Birdie's sluggish chains can.

Appreciate the advice though; I'll try and be more patient next time and wait for them to go into autopilot before starting my assault.

Pachinko

and you know that by now most of the player surge for S2 and akuma must have died out, so it is not that the servers are overloaded

I'm not sure of that, whenever capcom drops news (such as Kolin this past Wednesday) I feel like this game gets a surge in popularity and people who haven't touched it in a while come back for a few days at least.

A more accurate assessment is that season 2 has introduced some network bugs that weren't present to the same extent combined with an increased player base. SFV has , despite low sales, been operating at what must be full server capacity since March. Only hope now is that some of the issues get ironed out over the next couple of big updates. Too bad the first one of those updates is still 16 days away right now :(

Huh, 7 Hour Maintenance on Tuesday Night. I wonder if they're adding anything or if it's just to fix all the issues that have been getting worse recently.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Huh, 7 Hour Maintenance on Tuesday Night. I wonder if they're adding anything or if it's just to fix all the issues that have been getting worse recently.

My matches were pretty smooth tonight but tons of results errors, as has become the norm.

Is this the first time they've done maintenance overnight?

vulva

^^I thought that tweet was him saying he knew he should enter as Guile but he felt wrong doing so. He knows Guile is the better char for him, but he just likes Ryu more or something.

You should have seen me shit on Dark Souls 2 at every opportunity.

So your thing is that you just complain about everything?

^^I thought that tweet was him saying he knew he should enter as Guile but he felt wrong doing so. He knows Guile is the better char for him, but he just likes Ryu more or something.

So your thing is that you just complain about everything?

Not really. At least SFV could end up being good again.

MCD250

anyone playing?

thanks for posting. this looked like sooo much work for fang with his lack of conversions. he did have a round where he took poison further than I've yet seen.
I always love watching Xian's FANG. Dude was the MVP at last Capcom Cup, in my eyes.

MCD250

If I was Capcom I would buff FANG just so Xian could have a better character to play tbh. I'd be like this dude is like the only person on the planet using this character and he's been working his ass off for a year. Let him eat.

Moaradin

I'm telling you, Xian is playing the long game. He's been playing the worst character in the game yet consistently gets top 8 at majors. Once FANG gets good, Xian will dominate like early SFV Infiltration.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Are you confusing beta 3 with beta 1?

I want Bison to be able to super off of slide crush counter again.

1 was my favorite for nostalgia reasons, plus lights to mediums was fun. By the time 3 rolled around though people had an idea of what was happening and there were more characters.

Do people really yearn for the 8 frames?!

I wonder what hindsight will tell us about S2 a year from now.

When was SFV good?
I wonder what hindsight will tell us about S2 a year from now.
1jixoc.jpg

vulva

fwiw I like SFV, but zombe seems to only complain so I'm curious when all his complaints didn't exist in sfv (netcode, gameplay etc)

I forgot Skullgirls used their forums to dictate a lot of stuff. Was the choice completely reliant on the forum votes though? While I'd like to believe in the community of the bigger games, I absolutely don't. The bigger the pool, the bigger room for error, and people can barely decide on what they want out of SFV these days, let alone other games like Tekken (a few people on the OT don't like the Rage Arts stuff, for example).

BUT, that being said, if people could discuss these changes in length and Capcom could at least gleam some ideas? That'd be fucking fantastic. SF4 had loketest, so at the very least, we may get some once the arcades drop.
I believe it was more of a test to gauge the community's feelings at the time, but Mike was in there posting on the regular. There were some people who were against a speed increase, but the game's biggest influence was Marvel vs Capcom 2 and vanilla SG was VERY slow. It was almost inevitable that the game would get sped up. The community at the time was also pretty big and growing. Yeah, it didn't have thousands of people providing input, but hundreds were following the discussion closely and people were discussing the speed issue everywhere. I'm pretty confident that a similar approach could work great with Capcom fighters. Lord knows UMvC3 could have had a fantastic update had Capcom had another update opportunity and some employees looking over the exhaustive balance change documents being put together by gaffers.
I don't understand the v-reverals nerf. The white life though? The changes are kinda keeping some characters relevant. I didn't agree with it at first, but Bison, Rashid and a buncha other characters are far more playable because of that. Maybe the speed should be increased to compensate though.
The white life issue is the easiest to tackle imo. They could easily just tweak it so that the recovery sits somewhere between season 1 and season 2. Right now it is pretty much "chip damage" as someone put it before.
Yeah, I was referring to the loketests.
The loketests are nice, but it is pretty weak when the discussion stays regional and limited by language (sorry Japan). The good thing about SG's beta and discussions were the facts that you could provide tips through irc, email (if you were one of those inner circle guys) or along with everyone and their mama at skullheart. The highest bar to cross was speaking english at a middle school level, I guess. Capcom has always had all the fan cooperation and tools available for such an approach themselves, so maybe they'll try a more community oriented (slightly different than tournament and pro oriented) approach with SF6... if there is one.
Many things don't make a damn sense. I can't even understand the reason for some nerfs. Why nerf Vega's V-Skill, already borderline useless ? Why nerf Vega's slide, already heavy punishable ? Why add 2 frame handicap comboing from Cr MP (clawless) ? Who complained about this stuff ???

Do they pick those at random ? I'm starting to wonder.
I don't know. Capcom just gonna Capcom. I hate fighting seemingly random Vegas, but I had to admit to myself that even in season bottom of top ten or top of mid tier at best.
So, I haven't followed the scene in a minute, but my Triforce post in the main forum has made me fondly remember the community.

So like, can someone sum up the latest FGC drama? It's hard to get a grasp of everything, but what I have so far is:

-Haters are apparently getting left behind
-Smug is the king of the west coast
-Alex sucks

Thanks.
Server maintenance got left behind based on all the complaints I've seen about the online as of late.
Welp, just got multiple different errors of "diconnected from server" and "can't connect" and now I got a ragequit LP penalty lol.

How is this stuff getting worse?
Stuff like this makes me avoid ranked like the plague now.
I'm telling you, Xian is playing the long game. He's been playing the worst character in the game yet consistently gets top 8 at majors. Once FANG gets good, Xian will dominate like early SFV Infiltration.
Can't wait for EVO 2017 to come down to Xian, Gunfight or Bonchan when S2.5 strikes with a vengeance.

:p

If nothing else, we're gonna have a lot more variety in top 8 I feel.

One Necalli, one Guile and one Ken is guaranteed (Ken is being slept on)

More player input would be great all around. But I'm already noticing a pretty key issue with Street Fighter/bigger fighting games and changes - the bigger the pool, the more opinions on how things should work, and the murkier the waters.

I don't mean to throw shade at people, but some want the DP change back. Alright, so what happens to the characters that benefit from that? How are you going to make them viable, since the DP change is giving a bunch of characters life? You'll get a hundred different opinions depending on who plays what and what skill ranking they are in.

And the time period of when you ask matters too. James Chen tweeted out about mashing lights on wakeup, but he had no idea the player wasn't simply mashing it for no reason, it was because the character matchup called for that. It wasn't until he did research that he saw the reasoning behind it.

David was talking about Ryu like the character wasn't a problem even towards the end of S1's life. But Ryu was doing big boy damage without much meter and everyone from pros to casuals dreaded getting hit by the truck that is that shoto. I'm not saying the nerfs are completely fair - that motherfucker needs some reach and a better fireball to compensate - but people are real quick to forget things in terms of how games were even a few months after changes hit.

This isn't exclusive to fighting games. It's probably more prevalent with SFV because there are less changes than with SF4, There are things a beta could catch, like how many, many players did not like the input lag and still don't, and I think them gleaming more input would have maybe dealt with that far sooner than not. But at some level, the game just needs to be made and people just need to adapt. This isn't really what you were implying, but I'm more so just hoping Capcom doesn't completely flood their game with community input, because the majority of it isn't good and rarely ever agreed upon with the scope of how many people play SF.

tl;dr: I hope Capcom takes community input into consideration on bigger issues, but the community and Capcom need to just let some shit rock and have better communication so that things like the DP change aren't complete surprises.

If nothing else, we're gonna have a lot more variety in top 8 I feel.

One Necalli, one Guile and one Ken is guaranteed (Ken is being slept on)

Honestly I expect to see pretty much every character grace Top 8 besides Ryu, Vega, FANG, Alex, Nash, and Sim. Akuma's are going to be rare, and Sim's are going to be super rare. I think a few Birdies will pop up and be real technical. Rashid is gonna surprise people and be a problem. Bison as well. Not as many Karin's. Mika players like Du and Fuudo will produce strong results. The top tiers will b e around, of course - both Japan and the US lists. Could go either way with Juri. Kolin might make one or two depending on how she plays out. And this is pre-patch predictions - if they buff the bottom tiers, Xian is going to make people cry, and Season 2 is gonna be blow up city.

I mean a lot people want stuff because "they" want to be personally benefited tbh. I'm not gonna be BS and be like me wanting my DP back isn't because I just like having that option, balance of the game be damned. I actually defend bringing DP's back to S1 status but tbh I probably don't know wtf I'm talking about at the end of the day even though my points my sound nice. That goes for most of the community.

The dangerous thing about feedback as we've seen with other series is that you really have to hit that sweet spot between the developer's vision and player input. Smash has that problem in spades where it skews heavly towards the developer. Tekken has it in it's own little way that actually works out for it at times where they are not aware but aware of fan input. NRS games tend to lean to far on player input. Its a fickle thing.

HiResDes

Man, I swear the most irritating part of being a pad player has to be finding a pad that won't break down after a month or two of use. I've tried several options. The Hori 4, Hori Fighting Commander and the SFV MadCatz pad with the improved dpad. None have lasted more than the 3 months of continuous usage. I'd use a PS4 controller, but the dpad is not ideal for me and the shoulder buttons are not as sensitive as I would like.

I'd honestly pay good money for a controller of decent build quality and a circular dpad.
Official Saturn Pad with a converter.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So when will all the remaining Topanga matches be played? Daigo played six matches while Kazunoko only played two and Mago three. But I can only see a three day schedule. What's going on?

Naarmight

If I was Capcom I would buff FANG just so Xian could have a better character to play tbh. I'd be like this dude is like the only person on the planet using this character and he's been working his ass off for a year. Let him eat.

Does Sonicfox still play SF5? I loved his FANG in the early days. Really would love to see FANG buffed, as like you say it just seems that Xian has to work so much harder than anyone else, and his matches are always worth a watch

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Tomorrow's the maintenance right? Do they normally do balancing updates at this time?
Well there's only ever been one in SFV. If you're talking about the promised changes to Season 2, they said their announcement would come early march.

Does Sonicfox still play SF5? I loved his FANG in the early days. Really would love to see FANG buffed, as like you say it just seems that Xian has to work so much harder than anyone else, and his matches are always worth a watch

Unfortunately I don't think that he plays SFV any more.
And Injustice 2 is coming out relatively soon, so it probably makes more sense (economically) for him to focus on the games where he dominates.

Ucchedavāda;230227054 said:
Unfortunately I don't think that he plays SFV any more.
And Injustice 2 is coming out relatively soon, so it probably makes more sense (economically) for him to focus on the games where he dominates.

I think he does play, but certainly not seriously. Like "might pop in for a few rounds now and then, or learn a new character when they're released" but that's about it. Who knows what the future holds though!!

fwiw I like SFV, but zombe seems to only complain so I'm curious when all his complaints didn't exist in sfv (netcode, gameplay etc)

I only ever complained about Jab AA in S1, Chun's ridiculous poke and Mika's Clap. I only ever complained about the netcode. In the beta I was skeptical about the content and how matchmaking works but never had any issues with the netcode.

Now we have S2.

Why is Bison's EX Devil Reverse so good? It has invincibility and I'm not going to bring up the V-Trigger version.

Who's decision was it to make Urien's Cr.MP + on block? It can already V-Trigger cancel and is the longest reaching poke in the game. Then there is his Ex headbutt which has 17f of recovery making it hard to CC with slow characters.

Now they made defensive options even worse. Parry still sucks, Cammy's V-reversal still sucks, Reversal are nerfed, Jumping as Nash is even worse and now you have Japan saying Zangief is top tier and backdash isn't a viable option.

thelastword

Banned

Sonic Fox is the best FANG imo, nice setups nice combos and his antiair game is ridiculous. I think if he took this game seriously he could dominate SF just as he does MK, if only FANG was a bit stronger though....but it just shows you how strong Xian and Sonic are by taking the character as far as they do......

What ? Isn't that thing safe now and still switch side ?
Don't bring logic and facts into it.

Sonic Fox is the best FANG imo, nice setups nice combos and his antiair game is ridiculous. I think if he took this game seriously he could dominate SF just as he does MK, if only FANG was a bit stronger though....but it just shows you how strong Xian and Sonic are by taking the character as far as they do......
Didn't he start playing Urien?

MCD250

My only issue with Cammy's V-Reversal is you can't use it to escape Gief's V-Trigger since you end up getting bopped by one of his fists while he's spinning around anyway.

HardRojo

I'm so helpless against Bison, I feel like I can never press buttons and I don't know what to do once he goes for EX Devil reverse, also it's funny that sometimes after I block it he seems to end up in the opposite side despite not looking like he would at all. And that fucking knee... does his hurtbox shrink to the size of a pixel or what? I always get CCd by it, can never stuff it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom