• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD250

Ibuki's face looks super cute in the character select screen tbh. I don't get what it is about her smiling that makes her look so weird. Like her proportions are off or something.

cackhyena

So I had bought the season pass and got 10 colors for the standard outfit and the alternate one for Akuma. But I watch Tokido rock the same crimson outfit as me, except his has boss yellow hair. Do season passes not even give you every color option?

So I had bought the season pass and got 10 colors for the standard outfit and the alternate one for Akuma. But I watch Tokido rock the same crimson outfit as me, except his has boss yellow hair. Do season passes not even give you every color option?
They give you all except 11-15 for the default outfit.

Colours 11 -15

18_akucol02.jpg

Pompadour

That might be one of the Japan exclusive colors. But no, they give you 1-10 for Default and Battle but Default has 11-15, EX1, and EX2. EX1 being Japan Only and EX being CPT 2016 bundle exclusive.

Which outfit is it? Each character's standard have another 5 colors that become available to purchase off CFN as you raise their experience level (color 15 being the final unlock @ level 50)

Village

I was gonna post a picture of Ken's premium costume but you know what, damage has already been done.

That costume is ok

I think that costume gets too bad of a rap. Got the Nsync color.

Now alex's story outfit, you what even is that? I think it was attempt to be sexy, i think it failed. But i'm not the demo for that.

FluxWaveZ

Meh. Just respect it. It's still -2, even though the crazy pushback doesn't make it feel like it. He's in V-Trigger and he's wasting both precious V-meter and bar to do that dumb crap. If you're not going to just block, then that's on you.

Tekken 7 was smart. Make people endure a two year long wait while they fix up the game and release an expansion. Though I still hear people call it dumbed down compared to other games in the series and it'll get shit for being a jugglefest but hey fuck you fighting games are fun.

When they say dumbed down they mean "Hey this overly complicated part of the meta that I like was toned down."

Kinda sad to see SFV to be in the position its in, but again it still reminds me of how people treated SFIV during its tenure.

I feel like Birdie's wakeup was fine before. EX Bullhead having frame 1 armor was good because it gave him wakeup options outside of V-Trigger, and it was still a commitment so you couldn't just do it at the drop of a hat.

Regular bullhorn has frame 1 armor in V-Trig, but EX doesnt even though both are punishable?? Makes no sense to me honestly. Then you have EX bullhead that's no longer punishable with frame 1 armor.

Vice

Where the hell is Snake Eyez? I thought this was his full time job, but you barely ever see him, not even at WNF.

He takes awhile to get good in a game. I remember in the late Super/Early AE days in IV his Gief wasn't looking too hot.

It's silly, but the downsides are a waste of resources which they could use on other things. It's a clown shoes moment, and it's one that people can still fight against.

Weird that Tampa would even complain since he can do a bunch of things right after lol

When they say dumbed down they mean "Hey this overly complicated part of the meta that I like was toned down."

Kinda sad to see SFV to be in the position its in, but again it still reminds me of how people treated SFIV during its tenure.

SF4 was "babbys first fighting game". Now that shit is a work of art. Same with SF3, where the game got shit for the parry system and ridiculous balance until 3rd Strike.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
He takes awhile to get good in a game. I remember in the late Super/Early AE days in IV his Gief wasn't looking too hot.
Well, it was his second fighting game right after he started with HD Remix (and won EVO...)

Re: the top tiers, I kinda feel like the things that make someone top tier in S2 are different than the things that made the top tiers in S1. Like it feels like in S1 you had a good chance of being top tier if you had most of the good tools (3f normal, invincible reversal, good walk speed, good throw range, good corner carry, good damage conversion). There were maybe a few exceptions to this, but I feel like most of the characters that everyone considered the best (Ryu, Ken, Cammy, Karin, Necalli, etc.) had these things in common. In S2 I feel like the measure of top tier is basically how easily the character can put you in a 50/50 and get good damage off of that. I feel like Laura, Balrog and Urien really thrive off of that. Guile is basically a walking fortress who can expand his walls to the point of being oppressive if he feels like it, and Cammy kinda feels like a S1 top tier that snuck in.

Gief is basically a walking 50/50 generator. I'm not convinced the Japanese are wrong when they say this might be his year.

Good post. I agree with all of this. In a way the current meta feels like a bit of throwback to vanilla when there were no rise options and vortex ruled.

Vice

Well, it was his second fighting game right after he started with HD Remix (and won EVO...)

And V is his third after getting several high place finishes in USFIV. Some top players aren't the fastest learners. I can see him doing well toward the end of S2.

mbpm1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDqJ_HVxJOk

Dang, VesperArcade thinks the V-trigger for Kolin freezes the stun bar on hit until the Kolin player gets hit.

That definitely ups the potential for it if you're skilled at keeping away or applying smart pressure. And she has counters to fuck up your attempts to stick her back. And she has two uses of it based on timer.

It's probably not as strong as it seems, but this combined with her potential snowball setups means she's the next V-trigger 50/50 character.

Shadoken

There is definitely going to be 1, maybe 2 giefs that do absolutely insane but it's not gonna be a S1 chun or Nash situation where there are like million different players getting top 8s with those characters.

I think you mean Chun,Ken,Necalli,Mika. Nash was seen a lot mainly due to Infil and Yukadon. In fact outside of those two and Joe,NuckleDu I dont recall a lot of placements.
Heck towards the end of the season you only saw Bonchan being consistent and the rest just dropped.

Stupendous and Itazan are gonna eat this season.

I was gonna say Snake too but I feel like I haven't seen his Gief in a minute.

It also depends on how impactful Season 2.1 patch will be. If some Zoners like Ryu,Nash get buffed back to high tier then gief might move down a few slots.

stn

Does FANG have safe specials? Does he have a dependable AA game? I'm trying to see if he can fit my play style. He's dumb as hell and his design is awful, but nobody plays him so I'm intrigued. It must be extremely satisfying to win with him, too, knowing that your opponent is probably ripping his hair out in real-life.

Kikirin

Does FANG have safe specials? Does he have a dependable AA game? I'm trying to see if he can fit my play style. He's dumb as hell and his design is awful, but nobody plays him so I'm intrigued. It must be extremely satisfying to win with him, too, knowing that your opponent is probably ripping his hair out in real-life.

Re: safe specials - generally no, not on block.

His EX specials are all safe. LK ryobenda (b,f+lk) is relatively safe via distance as long as you aren't using it when cornered. And his fireballs, while unsafe, can set up some favorable trade situations if the opponent doesn't react properly.

For antiairs, I feel like he generally has a pretty good selection between cr.hp, cr.mk, st.mk, st.lp, st.mp, and fireballs.

I struggle against Bison and played one who I was 100% was about to beat me easily until something happened. Only I have no idea what I or he did differently for me to turn it around.

Anybody see anything I don't or have any tips or suggestions for me (Nash)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgGuQZWTxtA

Any rank/skill level is welcome to chime in. I appreciate it.

Three server errors in a row. Guess that's my cue to stop playing for a bit. Matches have been pretty solid the past week though, so if they can fix these errors and load times or time between matches I'll be happy.

Edit: Now it's fine. Got a perfect on a Ryu and he wouldn't gimme dat run back lulllllll.

FluxWaveZ

I struggle against Bison and played one who I was 100% was about to beat me easily until something happened. Only I have no idea what I or he did differently for me to turn it around.

Anybody see anything I don't or have any tips or suggestions for me (Nash)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgGuQZWTxtA

Any rank/skill level is welcome to chime in. I appreciate it.

From what I can tell, there isn't much of anything that really changed between the matches where you lost and the ones where you won. It seemed to be the same game plan; it's just that both of your skill levels are the same, so it turned out that you won some of those matches because that's what happens.

There's a ton for you to improve:

1. Way too much jumping. Anytime you jump, you are at your most vulnerable in this game. You can't just jump aimlessly without a reason to do so. Typically, jumps are done because you've conditioned your opponent to expect pressure/footsies on the ground, and they feel comfortable enough to throw out a strong move with powerful recovery. This is when jumps are their most effective. Cross-up range is good too. But not all the time like you were doing here. The same goes for those moonsaults. If you went against an opponent who could AA consistently, those would basically be the same as jumps.

2. Bad pressure when you get a knock down. You have to learn meaties and plus buttons to pressure them when you knock your opponent down. This is the most important part when it comes to offense, and you're not really doing anything with it a lot except for sometimes neutral jumping to bait a throw, or something.

3. Your ground game mainly consists of backdashing > throwing a fire ball and then dashing/jumping in or doing a moonsault. You'll need to learn proper pokes and simply walking (despite Nash's slow walk speed). When you're playing at this pace, it's also much easier to anti-air, which you were missing a lot of. Also, consider your opponent's longest range pokes. There are "danger ranges" for Bison where you should be keeping in mind at all times if you're going to be at the defensive. The kind of stuff that results in Crush Counter after Crush Counter.

4. Don't always feel like you need to be doing something on wake-up. Blocking is, most often than not, your best option. Opponents who would meaty you consistently wouldn't let you get away with a lot of what you were doing.

HardRojo

Finally made it to 5k LP earlier today, the road to Platinum is a tough one but I'm slowly getting there. Practicing setups in the lab and figuring out when I can press buttons has helped greatly.
Zero Suit Cammus
I'm in love only because it's Samus, otherwise fuck Cammy.

"This isn't street fighter" - everything after ST.
ST caused a mass exodus in the competitive scene back in the 90s because the Hyper Fighting players hated supers.

It's not like people were winning any money, so if the game sucked they just went to play Doom or lazer tag or loiter at malls or whatever.

From what I can tell, there isn't much of anything that really changed between the matches where you lost and the ones where you won. It seemed to be the same game plan; it's just that both of your skill levels are the same, so it turned out that you won some of those matches because that's what happens.

There's a ton for you to improve:

1. Way too much jumping. Anytime you jump, you are at your most vulnerable in this game. You can't just jump aimlessly without a reason to do so. Typically, jumps are done because you've conditioned your opponent to expect pressure/footsies on the ground, and they feel comfortable enough to throw out a strong move with powerful recovery. This is when jumps are their most effective. Cross-up range is good too. But not all the time like you were doing here. The same goes for those moonsaults. If you went against an opponent who could AA consistently, those would basically be the same as jumps.

2. Bad pressure when you get a knock down. You have to learn meaties and plus buttons to pressure them when you knock your opponent down. This is the most important part when it comes to offense, and you're not really doing anything with it a lot except for sometimes neutral jumping to bait a throw, or something.

3. Your ground game mainly consists of backdashing > throwing a fire ball and then dashing/jumping in or doing a moonsault. You'll need to learn proper pokes and simply walking (despite Nash's slow walk speed). When you're playing at this pace, it's also much easier to anti-air, which you were missing a lot of. Also, consider your opponent's longest range pokes. There are "danger ranges" for Bison where you should be keeping in mind at all times if you're going to be at the defensive. The kind of stuff that results in Crush Counter after Crush Counter.

4. Don't always feel like you need to be doing something on wake-up. Blocking is, most often than not, your best option. Opponents who would meaty you consistently wouldn't let you get away with a lot of what you were doing.
This is exactly what I needed. Thanks Flux.

There are some characters I can stay grounded with but Bison scares me. I feel like I need to stay on top of him and away from his CC fishing. I feel like in front of or under bison are the most dangerous places to be and the fact that this guy wasn't really AAing made my jumping worse. Bison's jump is also awkward. I need to get over all of this.

The hit and run tactics I noticed and has been something I've been doing since the beginning. I also believe it's a big part of when I lose. I become predictable and 80% of the time at least just Moonsault to get in because it's plus and easier than footsies.

Alright so don't jump so much.

Put on good pressure on knockdown, more consistently.

Slow down the dashing and rely more on walking to get a better control over the air.

Footsies. It's scary but I'll lose without it anyway. My footsies right now consist of step kick and lock MK. Those are my longest pokes and what I feel I can do with minimal risk of being countered.

For Bison specifically I need to learn his danger zones/range for those CC.

Block more on wakeup.

Thanks again, man. I'm about to practice this right now.

I just fought a Bison who I did good at first but once he realized I couldn't do anything against his scissors and CC fishing from out of punish range he just abused it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom