• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
FORCE people to choose between damage, position or perhaps even a mixup. It's one of the reasons why that Laura meaty light shoulder irks me so much. She should have to choose, not get the best of both worlds by going for a meaty that leaves her plus and close enough to grab again..
But moves like heavies that are plus on block and even CC are clearly intentional. It's a ridiculous offensive tool that they wanted to have like it is. They would need to rebalance everything if they changed those.

Rufus was a cool character I hope he's in season 3 and has the same dive kick.
My god you have the worst opinions lol

mbpm1

I swear I shed a single tear the first time I went to training mode and saw Akuma's cr mk

Saw it in the trailer and said I hope that's a cr. lk

Happy Birthday, Kolin!

C4pFUkWUEAE_F7W.jpg
Her birthday is on valentine's day? Poor girl

SFV is fortunately nowhere near close to SFxT in crap-factor, but it does share the common issue of overdesign. Crush counters are not needed and actively hurt the game.

I feel the issue with SFV is that its a bit underdesigned. Needs another mechanic or two when SFxT had too many mechanics.

Crush counters are interesting but the way they're implemented are kind of dumb. You could see them slowly moving away from it's original design by making only certain frames of an attack having CC properties and not at all times.

Also the priority system makes it that you're more inclined to use your CC buttons in neutral especially with the risk reward with both buttons trading and yours having priority over theirs.

I think I'm try out that cool ignore option this forum has.

But moves like heavies that are plus on block and even CC are clearly intentional. It's a ridiculous offensive tool that they wanted to have like it is. They would need to rebalance everything if they changed those.
Then I suppose I've had an issue with CCs from the start lol. Tbf I played a character that never really relied on CCs as much as others, so it didn't really effect me as much until I started playing Birdie.

cackhyena

Fortunately, since there are no physical revisions, there's nothing stopping them from morphing this thing over time to become what it should be.

I think it's fair to say that Capcom is at least listening. The DLC charcters have been less stubby and more fun, with a lot more variance in their styles. They are doing a new patch to fix shit. V-skills aren't at the level want them them to be in terms of importance across the board, but they've been getting better where you gain more of an advantage for using them by getting more meter to start the fun stuff earlier. The characters that are fun are able to work better with the game more often now, like Bison and Rashid.

But the lower tiers need better tools so they can have fun/play SFV like every other character (which, to me, would fix the issue of seeing too many CCs if everyone had tools equal to fishing for them), the top tiers are doing things too differently, we have no idea what the patch will fix, and v-stuff still isn't as relevant as it needs to be. They probably want another year of sussing out the meta before adding more CAs and triggers, which is fine, so long as this year fixes most of my list.

The game just needs some straight up tweaks and a few changes before they start taking it into Super/AE/Ultra directions.

Edit: Oh yeah, more defensive options. Basically, keep the game where you have to be at 10 on defense AND offense while letting everyone able to do so. Fuck the CPT, change what you gotta to make the game work.

kobu

Now y'all know I wasn't serious about Rufus and it's not like capcom would give any character a dive kick like that in 5 anyway.

6ADLV4r.gif

SFxT's flaws were hardly that hard to figure out (LMHH chains in a SF game, LOL). I think what gets people is that there's actually very little on paper that's WRONG with SFV.

Crush counters make no sense. Do a taunt, your next heavy attack will CC if it hits. Done - remove it from the footsie game.
Buff everyone's normals in range, possibly speed.
Make fireballs actually OK
Return DPs to how they're supposed to work.
Nerf V-Triggers being a comeback mechanic by reducing the amount of meter you get for getting hit.
Reduce the lag down by two frames.
Increase quick rise animation time by 5 frames, making it the same as back tech.
Reduce min scaling on supers to 30%, from 50%.
Various character redesigns. Gief loses armour punch, gains green hand. Bison doesn't have Slayer's forward dash. That sort of thing. Too much of the game is playing around these weird tools they gave characters to spice them up. It feels like the same people that vetted Elena and Decapre in USF4 were in charge of designing the entire SFV cast.
ACTUALLY FIX THE DEFECTS. Load times on PS4 are terrible. Online play is broken. The game still crashes on PC on touch/pen-enabled devices. Etc etc etc etc.

mbpm1

I think it's fair to say that Capcom is at least listening. The DLC charcters have been less stubby and more fun, with a lot more variance in their styles.

But Akuma whyyyyyy

And apparently Kolin is stubby too.

Although more interesting playstyles is a thing they have shown they are trying

But Akuma whyyyyyy

And apparently Kolin is stubby too.

Although more interesting playstyles is a thing they have shown they are trying

Kolin at least compensates for her stubby normals with the ability to close space with an invincible command dash and a general-purpose counter that seems to stuff sloppy pokes really well. Plus she's got hella target combos so she'll probably be more about circumventing the neutral and fishing for confirms rather than taking things slow from midscreen.

Swarna

Like, I was one of the proprietors for lower execution in sfv. I thought, why does someone like say, ken in sfiv just need to mash jab x 3 into shoryu for easy basic damage while someone like sagat gets 2 frame links for a combo that does even less damage?

Stuff like that was annoying. But the thing was I liked some of the execution for things other than bnbs. I liked trying to go for ken''s cr mp into cr mk link even though my execution was and still was ass. Little moments like that where I got a link were small motivators during matches.

SF4 had a lot of these. I don't think execution itself was ever an issue, but there has to be intentional design behind the difficulty of every action rather than them being arbitrarily hard or easy based on how the frame data happens to fall into place. Letting alternative easier options exist at 80-95% effectiveness of the hardest options is a pretty good way to go about simultaneously lowering the skill floor, increasing combo variety, and keeping the ceiling where it is.

Evil Ryu and Ryu were pretty good in this regard. Sagat had game-changing 3-frame startup jab, jab confirms locked behind 1-frame execution and on a miss you get severely punished since you DP. His other option has a 5-frame startup so it can't be used under pressure the same way. Bonchan was pretty much the only Sagat regularly using this tool and he's mentioned several times how it's a big aspect of the character's viability/defense to the point where he was legit worried about whether PS4 wasn't going to support select plinking. Just makes you wonder about how other famous Sagats weren't even playing the character properly due arbitrarily high execution difficulty on this one tool.

Neoxon

I feel the issue with SFV is that its a bit underdesigned. Needs another mechanic or two when SFxT had too many mechanics.

Crush counters are interesting but the way they're implemented are kind of dumb. You could see them slowly moving away from it's original design by making only certain frames of an attack having CC properties and not at all times.

Also the priority system makes it that you're more inclined to use your CC buttons in neutral especially with the risk reward with both buttons trading and yours having priority over theirs.
The problem kinda stems from Capcom not wanting a single universal mechanic like Focus Attack. They want everything to be character-specific.

mbpm1

Kolin at least compensates for her stubby normals with the ability to close space with an invincible command dash and a general-purpose counter that seems to stuff sloppy pokes really well. Plus she's got hella target combos so she'll probably be more about circumventing the neutral and fishing for confirms rather than taking things slow from midscreen.

I agree, I just think a lot of characters are already counterpokers/neutral avoiders in the first place. Good thing the rest of her character package looks pretty interesting.

I don't think this is too hard to accomplish. You can have go to combos that are either chains or max 3 frame links that do okay damage but aren't optimal, while the higher execution stuff that requires tighter inputs could be more advantageous with higher damage. Also, you could make it loose enough that you have multiple combo paths to choose from, each with its own benefits. The key is more options.

As far as examples go, aren't things like Marvel and Persona 4 Arena pretty much this? You have simple universal chain combos, or an auto combo button for quick non optimal damage. The auto combo feature is admittedly not that great and only for really casual players, but it does its job by lowering the entry barrier.

I tried to get away from mentioning games with the auto combo feature because I thought there was something else out there, but that works.

For SFV, I feel like Capcom would have to add more to the characters to increase those options.

ElFly

The problem kinda stems from Capcom not wanting a single universal mechanic like Focus Attack. They want everything to be character-specific.

Yeah but I think they got what they wanted there. Focus was p garbage as a mechanic and made a lot of things homogeneous. Now almost everyone with an install v trigger (except in some ways gief) gets the benefit of interrupting at almost any point for longer combos, without giving everyone the exact same tool

Less stubby normals would make more people happy. I mean, it is part of what makes Urien so good

Shadoken

While the concept is good , the execution is mediocre. You have some V-Skills that pretty much act like a cool mechanic or have some depth to them. Stuff like Ryu,Gief, Sim are pretty damn good and unique.

And then you have shitty ones like Karin,Ibuki , which is honestly no different from a command normal. Freaking Cammy just got an old move remapped to VSkill , srsly Capcom?

Then you have ones with potential , but not used. Like look at Nash V skill , it absorbs fireballs great new mechanic Capcom. Not really much different from Ryu parrying them or Bison absorbing them ( although Bisons is pretty cool now that he can store it ). If they gave it some abilities like maybe lifesteal or meter steal then maybe more players would be inclined to use it in neutral. Shit like that adds some more variety.

YNow almost everyone with an install v trigger (except in some ways gief) gets the benefit of interrupting at almost any point for longer combos, without giving everyone the exact same tool

Oh yea this shit is pretty lame too, the fact that 90% of the cast use V trigger the exact same way.

Even Ultras in SF4 had more variety in use. Not every character just did DP->FADC->ultra. I was hoping V trigger would lead to more variety , but nearly everyone just fishes with a poke->VT.

BadWolf

While the concept is good , the execution is mediocre. You have some V-Skills that pretty much act like a cool mechanic or have some depth to them. Stuff like Ryu,Gief, Sim are pretty damn good and unique.

And then you have shitty ones like Karin,Ibuki , which is honestly no different from a command normal. Freaking Cammy just got an old move remapped to VSkill , srsly Capcom?

Then you have ones with potential , but not used. Like look at Nash V skill , it absorbs fireballs great new mechanic Capcom. Not really much different from Ryu parrying them or Bison absorbing them ( although Bisons is pretty cool now that he can store it ). If they gave it some abilities like maybe lifesteal or meter steal then maybe more players would be inclined to use it in neutral. Shit like that adds some more variety.

And you also have Mika's V-skill is a complete and utter joke.

Pompadour

I've been advocating for not alternate CAs or VTs but more ways to spend meter like a 2 bar V-Move that's unique to each other while everyone gets 3 bar VTs. So things like Nash's teleport would be the 2 bar V move while he gets a new 3 bar VT.

I specifically want something like this implemented opposed to the alternate VT/CA stuff because that doesn't give a character more tools but rather creates a clone of that character with one different move. And in every game with selectable Supers ends up with a character having one everyone uses 80% of the time (and that's a good percentage comparitively. There were several of Ultras in 4 that were never used).

stn

People actually want characters like Rufus and Fuerte back? What's enjoyable about characters flying randomly across the screen, mashing crouching jab all day, and forcing grounded characters to go dumb every time they face them?

SFV doesn't need airborne bullshit, it just needs the neutral game to be buffed universally across the board. Why does Ryu, a character who is pure footsies, have no footsies? The most "read-able" character in the game, who's been more-or-less the same since SF2, has no footsies? lol.

Pompadour

Oh yea this shit is pretty lame too, the fact that 90% of the cast use V trigger the exact same way.

Even Ultras in SF4 had more variety in use. Not every character just did DP->FADC->ultra. I was hoping V trigger would lead to more variety , but nearly everyone just fishes with a poke->VT.

At the very least they need to cut the V-Bar in half if a player activates VT on block or hit. There's absolutely no incentive to do it raw unless you want to punish a jump in while they're in mid-air.

BadWolf

I've been advocating for not alternate CAs or VTs but more ways to spend meter like a 2 bar V-Move that's unique to each other while everyone gets 3 bar VTs. So things like Nash's teleport would be the 2 bar V move while he gets a new 3 bar VT.

I specifically want something like this implemented opposed to the alternate VT/CA stuff because that doesn't give a character more tools but rather creates a clone of that character with one different move. And in every game with selectable Supers ends up with a character having one everyone uses 80% of the time (and that's a good percentage comparitively. There were several of Ultras in 4 that were never used).

Based on the changes in S2, they seem to be avoiding doing things that would require actual new work (animation etc.).

They are just adjusting values on what is already there.

Shadoken

And you also have Mika's V-skill is a complete and utter joke.

To be fair , the idea is cool. A taunt that boosts your command grab , leads to some interesting mind games. While also looking pretty good visually since it goes with her wrestler theme.

But once again , Execution of the idea is ass.

People actually want characters like Rufus and Fuerte back? What's enjoyable about characters flying randomly across the screen, mashing crouching jab all day, and forcing grounded characters to go dumb every time they face them?

SFV doesn't need airborne bullshit, it just needs the neutral game to be buffed universally across the board. Why does Ryu, a character who is pure footsies, have no footsies? The most "read-able" character in the game, who's been more-or-less the same since SF2, has no footsies? lol.

I don't think anybody in their right mind wants Rufus or Fuerte back tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom