• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadoken

I don't think anybody in their right mind wants Rufus or Fuerte back tbh

In the year 2025 , Fuerte and Rufus will be topping character polls. And people will say all those 16er scrubs have no idea about these OG characters. And after they are added to Street Fighter 6 : Season 2 , they will drop in popularity. Kinda like how character polls go these days too.

At the very least they need to cut the V-Bar in half if a player activates VT on block or hit. There's absolutely no incentive to do it raw unless you want to punish a jump in while they're in mid-air.

Or at least make it punishable/-ve on block most of the time. But penalizing them by reducing V trigger time is also a good idea.

Pompadour

Based on the changes in S2, they seem to be avoiding doing things that would require actual new work (animation etc.).

They are just adjusting values on what is already there.

Yeah, they never really added new moves in SF4 (aside from the U2s and anomalies like Angry Scar or EX Ducking) so I'm not holding out hope for this. Regardless, I don't know if adding CA2s would do much for the game as current CAs effectively do everything as they're high damage and super easy to combo into. They'd need to add differently sized Super bars a la III to differentiate them.

ElFly

While the concept is good , the execution is mediocre. You have some V-Skills that pretty much act like a cool mechanic or have some depth to them. Stuff like Ryu,Gief, Sim are pretty damn good and unique.

And then you have shitty ones like Karin,Ibuki , which is honestly no different from a command normal. Freaking Cammy just got an old move remapped to VSkill , srsly Capcom?

Then you have ones with potential , but not used. Like look at Nash V skill , it absorbs fireballs great new mechanic Capcom. Not really much different from Ryu parrying them or Bison absorbing them ( although Bisons is pretty cool now that he can store it ). If they gave it some abilities like maybe lifesteal or meter steal then maybe more players would be inclined to use it in neutral. Shit like that adds some more variety.

Oh yea this shit is pretty lame too, the fact that 90% of the cast use V trigger the exact same way.

Even Ultras in SF4 had more variety in use. Not every character just did DP->FADC->ultra. I was hoping V trigger would lead to more variety , but nearly everyone just fishes with a poke->VT.

I don t know. It is way more free form than it was in 4 and doesn't tie to a brain dead move like that charge attack. Also doesn't tie it to the weird mechanic of having to cancel said attack... With a dash?

Honestly it is all the pluses and none of the minuses of focus attacks

Sure, a lot of people share it, but... Yay more free form extended combos? And some of the people who can't still normally use it to extend combos, like nash

The v system could use some adjustments but it is far from bad. Main problem is the v reversals being bad, and second, that the charge in v skills varies wildly across the board, so some people can speed their v trigger or get two per round, and other people just can't

It'd be cool if SFV handled V-Trigger like King of Fighters XIV handles MAX Mode: you can raw-activate it to increase the duration or spend half of your uses of it as a cancel.

Shadoken

I don t know. It is way more free form than it was in 4 and doesn't tie to a brain dead move like that charge attack. Also doesn't tie it to the weird mechanic of having to cancel said attack... With a dash?

Honestly it is all the pluses and none of the minuses of focus attacks

Sure, a lot of people share it, but... Yay more free form extended combos? And some of the people who can't still normally use it to extend combos, like nash

The v system could use some adjustments but it is far from bad. Main problem is the v reversals being bad, and second, that the charge in v skills varies wildly across the board, so some people can speed their v trigger or get two per round, and other people just can't

Wait who actually cant extend combos with VT? I can only think of Dhalsim. Nash is king of VT combo extention ,especially since Normal->SonicBoom->VT gives you a free Jumpin in every time.

I think Focus Attack is more or less the same , but it allowed more free form because the juggle potentials in SF4 were in general better than SF5. And also since Focus attack is meter based , it had more of a surprise factor. You didnt really know when they would use it. Sure stuff like DP->FADC is pretty telegraphed since it made it safe. But you also had some chars just suddenly do FADC to extend pressure.

In SFV , You get V trigger ONLY at the end of the round and the character is most definitely going to do Normal->VT.

Am not saying SF4 Focus attack is a gold standard , but I really expected V System to be better. I think Alphas CC and 3S parry allowed for more expression.

It'd be cool if SFV handled V-Trigger like King of Fighters XIV handles MAX Mode: you can raw-activate it to increase the duration or spend half of your uses of it as a cancel.

Yea this would be great as well. I just want to see more options overall.

BadWolf

Yeah, it works extremely well in XIV.

In KOFXIII, raw activation was considered a waste 95% of the time.

In XIV, both raw activation and activation on hit/block have their purposes and are used regularly.

ElFly

I've been advocating for not alternate CAs or VTs but more ways to spend meter like a 2 bar V-Move that's unique to each other while everyone gets 3 bar VTs. So things like Nash's teleport would be the 2 bar V move while he gets a new 3 bar VT.

I specifically want something like this implemented opposed to the alternate VT/CA stuff because that doesn't give a character more tools but rather creates a clone of that character with one different move. And in every game with selectable Supers ends up with a character having one everyone uses 80% of the time (and that's a good percentage comparitively. There were several of Ultras in 4 that were never used).

That s not a bad idea

Shadoken

Nash should get back Sonic Break VT from Guile. Goddamn Guile stole that move too , is there any original move this dude can come up with?

ElFly

Wait who actually cant extend combos with VT? I can only think of Dhalsim. Nash is king of VT combo extention ,especially since Normal->SonicBoom->VT gives you a free Jumpin in every time.

I think Focus Attack is more or less the same , but it allowed more free form because the juggle potentials in SF4 were in general better than SF5. And also since Focus attack is meter based , it had more of a surprise factor. You didnt really know when they would use it. Sure stuff like DP->FADC is pretty telegraphed since it made it safe. But you also had some chars just suddenly do FADC to extend pressure.

In SFV , You get V trigger ONLY at the end of the round and the character is most definitely going to do Normal->VT.

Am not saying SF4 Focus attack is a gold standard , but I really expected V System to be better. I think Alphas CC and 3S parry allowed for more expression.

Yea this would be great as well. I just want to see more options overall.

I didn't say that the non install people did not get to extend their combos. I said that the install people got to extend their combos in a way relatively similar to fade, but without the downsides of fadc

Nash s v trigger doesn't work at all like fadc , and yeah he extends his combos, but that is not what I am getting at

The problem of v trigger activating only at the end is more or less fixed if more characters can change v bar to get two v triggers per round. Nash does it and he was great at that. But almost everyone else gets shit v bar from the v skill.... Except for necalli and by definition he gets only one v trigger per round

DKL

In XIV, both raw activation and activation on hit/block have their purposes and are used regularly.

I really dig how meter is used in this game... I can raw activate until I spend all my meter and use all the EX moves lol

So if I was Benimaru... and I had 5 meters... I could use that stupid EX projectile for forever :v

One little thing that I really appreciate about SFV is the excellent choice to demote several former supers to EX Specials.

Stuff like Ken's Shoryureppa, Nash's Sonic Break and Mika's Rainbow Hip Rush getting representation as EX moves adds a lot of flavour to the game imo, and makes it more hype to see some key moves in action.

Pompadour

One little thing that I really appreciate about SFV is the excellent choice to demote several former supers to EX Specials.

Stuff like Ken's Shoryureppa, Nash's Sonic Break and Mika's Rainbow Hip Rush getting representation as EX moves adds a lot of flavour to the game imo, and makes it more hype to see some key moves in action.

I agree, that's one of my favorite decisions the designers made. EX specials were often pretty boring in 3 and 4 where they just looked up a bright yellow version of an existing special that hits twice instead of once. And since the damage in V is already high these EX moves feel like level 1 supers in Alpha or some of the weaker Super Arts in III like Dudley's Corkscrew Blow.

BadWolf

I really dig how meter is used in this game... I can raw activate until I spend all my meter and use all the EX moves lol

So if I was Benimaru... and I had 5 meters... I could use that stupid EX projectile for forever :v

That's what makes it fun and useful for both casual and competitive players.

In a competitive setting you do have disadvantages to always being activated since it severely limits your options on how you can start a combo and also stops power meter build up.

It's a well balanced system.

DKL

It's a well balanced system.

Yeah, I thought so too: they give you a lot of resources to play with (that expands as you cycle through your team), which allows you to have fun, but not so much that you become braindead with its management...

I was really liking what I was playing.

My cousin is just starting out with this game and is maining Guile. He's recently been saying that he thinks Guile is not a great choice for a beginner and is for a more advanced player despite having a more simple move set than most characters.

I'm wondering what some of you guys think about this.

He also mentioned interest in trying out Mika or Birdie because "they give him the most trouble". I told him Karin can get him used to combos or Urien may be cool too and closer to his style but I don't really know.

kirblar

My cousin is just starting out with this game and is maining Guile. He's recently been saying that he thinks Guile is not a great choice for a beginner and is for a more advanced player despite having a more simple move set than most characters.

I'm wondering what some of you guys think about this.

He also mentioned interest in trying out Mika or Birdie because "they give him the most trouble". I told him Karin can get him used to combos or Urien may be cool too and closer to his style but I don't really know.
Birdie is a very good beginner character imo. Big damage, short combos, good normals. Guile requires a lot of patience.

MrCarter

I really like this about the gameplay too. Seeing Chun-Li doing her lightning kicks with both legs in EX is awesome and is just some of the great design choices they made in the gameplay and presentation. Like you mentioned, it certainly adds that "flavour" to the game SFIV never had. I do hope they bring about more changes in line with how people want them with the upcoming patch but I doubt that will keep the noise down as other issues will probably arise.

and shin shroryu for Ryu

this is an SFxTK innovation, not an SFV one tbh

Shadoken

and shin shroryu for Ryu

this is an SFxTK innovation, not an SFV one tbh

And Ryu's Ex Tatsu in SF3 , it is an ongoing process. To make Alphas Supers into EX moves. Though SFV did a lot of changes. They even brought back old supers like Bisons EX Super with his EX Scissor. And Akumas EX Fireball.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I've asked this before, but what happens to all the other matches that haven't been played yet in Topanga League? Like Daigo played six times already, but Mago only three times.

Got the plat. This was my first fighting game in 5 years and even though there's a lot you can critique about it SFV is very fun at the end of the day. Now the real journey begins...

Trying to get back to gold with 5000 LP because I've been getting my ass whooped lately lol.

Kashiwaba

Got the plat. This was my first fighting game in 5 years and even though there's a lot you can critique about it SFV is very fun at the end of the day. Now the real journey begins...

Trying to get back to gold with 5000 LP because I've been getting my ass whooped lately lol.

Dammit I'm like 25k fm away from getting the plat, but have been too busy recently to even beat weekly challenges except the fast easy ones.

Skilletor

I'm 4 achievements away from the platinum. I've never, ever gotten a platinum in any game, lol.

I'm missing silly ones like register 30 friends on CFN and view over 100 replays.

Kashiwaba

I'm 4 achievements away from the platinum. I've never, ever gotten a platinum in any game, lol.

I'm missing silly ones like register 30 friends on CFN and view over 100 replays.

I watch few relays everyday while taking food break from playing lol and somehow ended up getting that trophy.

I've asked this before, but what happens to all the other matches that haven't been played yet in Topanga League? Like Daigo played six times already, but Mago only three times.

They play all of them. There are I believe 6 days of online matches. Daigo had to play all of his matches in 3 days because he had to do this SFV x Lupe event in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom