• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
SFIV was good in its last years but I doubt it would come back as much as a few on social media want it to. I personally disliked the game because I didn't like the battle system, it caused bad habits in players, which is why I don't want it to come back.

People say a lot of shit on social media and the internet, but the results aren't there. I think locals should host 4 as a side tournament, but I wouldn't expect turnouts to be high besides a select few spots.

That's not really a quality thing, it's just that people move onto the next game. Same reason people don't fuck with 3 despite hating 4, and so on.

Ha! I wonder why...

I mean, beyond the vitriol of SFV, it's kinda what happens with fighting games in general. People promise to support a game and do fuck all unless it's sustaining itself. Even without CPT funds, a game can still live for many years after the expiration date. It just takes work, and people don't wanna put that work in all the time.

FluxWaveZ

I was under the impression that it was invincible from frame 1 since I've been getting hit out of meaties.

I feel like that's what it actually might be, because I don't think I was really messing up the meaties during those circumstances. But, if that's the case, that sounds insane. It's unfortunately not something that can be easily tested in Training mode.

Edzi

I feel like that's what it actually might be, because I don't think I was really messing up the meaties during those circumstances. But, if that's the case, that sounds insane.

Apparently it's frame 1 invincible with level 7 and up according to FAT, but that also doesn't' sound right since level 7 is pretty rare. Maybe it shifts his hurtbox?

Neoxon

I mean, beyond the vitriol of SFV, it's kinda what happens with fighting games in general. People promise to support a game and do fuck all unless it's sustaining itself. Even without CPT funds, a game can still live for many years after the expiration date. It just takes work, and people don't wanna put that work in all the time.
That's one of the things I respect about the Melee scene. They actually put in work towards keeping their game alive & well.

Ucchedavāda;230682626 said:
Watching the Winter Brawl top 8, and the commentary is on point, the matches are great, and to top it off that Mikeandike v Punk match was savage as hell, as was the subsequent interview. Too bad that I couldn't watch it live, on account of time-zone differences.

Also, apparently a lot of people are interested in playing USFIV at Canada Cup 2017:
  • 29% voted "I'm going just for SFV"
  • 36% voted "I will play SFV and USF4"
  • 35% voted "I'm going just for USF4"
https://twitter.com/lapchiduong/status/833422272442486784

Yo if it's in downtown Toronto then I will come through with my Honda for once

Mizerman

I agree. Which is what makes it kinda humorous.

That's one of the things I respect about the Melee scene. They actually put in work towards keeping their game alive & well.

That's super cool of them, especially for a game that old.

I agree. Which is what makes it kinda humorous.

One of my projects this year is to dedicate a lot of time into keeping Gundam Versus alive when it launches. I kinda fell off Full Boost but there's no excuse for dropping a game I enjoy.

SmokeMaxX

Okay, this has happened too many times to me for me to just ignore it. FAT says this about Balrog's TAP:

But then why is it that every time I go against PR Balrog's Rog specifically, it acts like it's a completely invincible DP solution? I don't get it. Is that a thing? I would Lady Mika and Balrog just passes through it like it's nothing.

Twitch time stamp of the recent set, where it happens a few times: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/123544244?t=1h15m54s

I legitimately don't know what's going on. If people don't know here, I'll have to ask the Balrog discord.
Real talk, TAP is bullshit. They should nerf that move. Dunno why they thought giving it +1 for each level of TAP starting at -2 was a good idea. He just skips neutral for free vs characters with a 4 frame normal once he gets past level 1.
I definitely feel like Birdie's better than people give him credit for too; dude's an absolute monster once he gets V-Trigger. It's amazing how much of a difference just a faster walk speed can make.
Birdie's much better in VT, but he still has a lot of fatal weaknesses. That's assuming you get into VT with life to spare considering how many characters can just touch him once and then it's frame trap city against his slow normals.

MCD250

Don't see what anyone has against a move that is invincible on startup, travels half the screen, leaves the character plus on block and can take off anywhere between 15-70% of your life.

FluxWaveZ

Alright, so I managed to recreate a reversal timing LVL 1 TAP in Training mode, and I found that I'm just crazy: I guess I'm just frequently missing my meaty timings in that 2f window against Rog. His hurtbox does shift as the move is performed, but Lady Mika worked, and everything else too. Naturally, though, he's throw invincible on frame 1; maybe hesitation concerning that was always throwing me off.

So it's kinda like Zangief's Lariat. If your meaty timing isn't really on point, you'll get blown up for it.

If I was going to try and pick up Mika, would I benefit from watching Youtube tutorials that were from Season 1 or would that hinder me? I can't find anything definitively Season 2 related that's thorough.

Kikirin

It's probably worth splitting hairs to note that TAP is only throw invul starting on frame 3. But since the first two frames out of wakeup and blockstun are throw invul - ayyy lmao.

FluxWaveZ

Most stuff in videos should work fine except crHP baits/links.

Also have to ignore anything that has to do with EX Peach oki in S1 videos, or concerning wall bounce combos or resets. Same for some basic BnBs since her st.LP is now 4 frames.

Have to ignore some Nadeshiko xx Wingless Airplane resets because of the proximity blocking nerf. Also same for V-Reversal oki.

SmokeMaxX

Alright, so I managed to recreate a reversal timing LVL 1 TAP in Training mode, and I found that I'm just crazy: I guess I'm just frequently missing my meaty timings in that 2f window against Rog. His hurtbox does shift as the move is performed, but Lady Mika worked, and everything else too. Naturally, though, he's throw invincible on frame 1; maybe hesitation concerning that was always throwing me off.

So it's kinda like Zangief's Lariat. If your meaty timing isn't really on point, you'll get blown up for it.

You sure he was doing TAP lvl 1? Not sure why he'd use that as a reversal when he can just charge it longer to make it real...

FluxWaveZ

You sure he was doing TAP lvl 1? Not sure why he'd use that as a reversal when he can just charge it longer to make it real...

Oh yeah, if you watch that link I posted up top, he was using TAP LVL 1-3 all the time to mess up my (not real) block strings and call out my apparently messed up meaties.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So uhm...I've been using this fast loading mod for the evening and I've played the same Akuma seven times in a row now. This never happened before.
Anyone else experiencing something similar?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, it's a PS4 player, but it's been 8 times now lol
I've even taken two breaks inbetween. This is so weird.

edit: Wait, it is a PC player

Re downloaded this the other day, is it normal to have every character bar Akuma unlocked? I have only ever bought Guile and Balrog. Have them all unlocked now. Says Purchased in the store.

Re downloaded this the other day, is it normal to have every character bar Akuma unlocked? I have only ever bought Guile and Balrog. Have them all unlocked now. Says Purchased in the store.

Might've bought the season pass? Or the deluxe edition? Or you've been blessed and have been given free characters!

So uhm...I've been using this fast loading mod for the evening and I've played the same Akuma seven times in a row now. This never happened before.
Anyone else experiencing something similar?

I ran into this issue quite a bit when i last played. Not sure why.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I waited a year for a bison alt costume. But since he has no tits I'm assuming he isn't getting shit for a while so I just went ahead and bought the story mode one.

MCD250

I waited a year for a bison alt costume. But since he has no tits I'm assuming he isn't getting shit for a while so I just went ahead and bought the story mode one.
I'm shocked they didn't give him a halloween costume.

You'd think he of all people...

FluxWaveZ

Here's TAP vs. Mika.
TAPing a Mika V-Trigger setup.

Now this Mika wasn't getting the hint, but this move alone means that this is an MU Mika definitely does not have the advantage in (though, playing both characters, I knew that going into S2). The #1 complaint Balrogs had against Mika was that they had no defensive options once they're trapped in the blender (like that's different than most of the cast), but Balrog actually has a very good one.

Something I hadn't thought about before, but that I think might be true, is that Mika's meaty game can be pretty nebulous for her compared to the proper pressure of other characters. That's probably intentional, so that a KD from her doesn't mean that you're not going to have your turn for a long while, and instead revolves around the command grab guessing game. It's why KDR > Dash off of a Brimstone leaves her only at +2, and stuff like that.

The side effect of this is that using TAP liberally is an actual, legitimate tool vs. Mika. And it's kinda silly. I wasn't even using it at clear times I should have in that match (and I was mainly focusing on using it all the time), since I just came across this rare Mika in Ranked and I wanted to experiment with it. But man, if I had actually been playing efficiently there, it would have been even worse for her.

Village

Tell me what I did wrong ( A bunch of match footage where I got rocked )

GGs. Your Balrog and Necalli were solid. Sorry about the character select thing earlier. Thought I had it set to on already.

Eh, they are kind of bad and I need to play as them more. I used to be better at them, but I have been using urien and Bison and lost a bunch of stuff. Though the thing i'm actually proud of myself for doing is attempting to anti air.

Also tell me how to fight karin, I don't know.

SmokeMaxX

The side effect of this is that using TAP liberally is an actual, legitimate tool vs. Mika. And it's kinda silly. I wasn't even using it at clear times I should have in that match (and I was mainly focusing on using it all the time), since I just came across this rare Mika in Ranked and I wanted to experiment with it. But man, if I had actually been playing efficiently there, it would have been even worse for her.
Kinda building on what I was saying earlier, using TAP liberally is a legit tool in a lot of matchups. It lets him essentially skip neutral and be at worst -2. This move is great against Birdie whose 4f normal already has trouble dealing with Balrog's 3f normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom