• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if they boosted Akuma's health up to, I dunno, 900-950, he could be a legit threat in the right hands.

Tokido and Sako are already threats. Traditionally, Akuma has low health because he has all those tools. It's not like Vortex Fighter 4 Akuma, but he's still ridiculous once he gets shit going, so I don't know if I want him to have more health per say.

stn

Tokido and Sako are already threats. Traditionally, Akuma has low health because he has all those tools. It's not like Vortex Fighter 4 Akuma, but he's still ridiculous once he gets shit going, so I don't know if I want him to have more health per say.
I wouldn't touch his health. Personally, I'd buff his ground LP fireball to go full-screen so he can challenge every point of the stage. I'd also slightly extend the duration of his V-trigger, it expires way too fast (its also slightly one-dimensional because, I think, you're doing it wrong unless you're using it to apply pressure).

Aside from his poor health (which I'm not entirely sure is justified) Akuma sort of reminds me of Necalli. Dude has soooo many tools and explosive damage potential (especially when he has V-Ttigger and/or a couple of bars at his disposal).

Akuma is the most fun character in the game rn. I'm honestly not sure why his lower health is justified in this one, though.

Oh wow didn't see the same thing said two posts above me lol.
Just a staple of the character I guess. It's how it's always been. I don't mind it that much
I need to see a good akuma vs. a good guile. That matchup feels absolutely impossible to me. I'm wondering how Tokido will do vs. dieminion and nuckledu.
It's a really fun match in my opinion but you have to play patient as hell.

If I can I'll try to upload some matches I had against a really good platinum player

mbpm1

I wouldn't touch his health. Personally, I'd buff his ground LP fireball to go full-screen so he can challenge every point of the stage. I'd also slightly extend the duration of his V-trigger, it expires way too fast (its also slightly one-dimensional because, I think, you're doing it wrong unless you're using it to apply pressure).

His fireball doesn't need to go fullscreen. Most of the time a fireball at that range is dodged or absorbed. I'd rather buff his recovery but they're not going to do that.

MCD250

Yeah, but I feel like he is also handicapped in ways that he hasn't been in the past (with his poor reach, the changes to his ground and air fireballs, etc.). Typically the low health is his handicap. But low health + these other things is a bit much, in my opinion.

hEZmIPa.png

Man I'm having so much fun playing FANG and Alex but goddamn my win percentage has taken a huge nosedive. I'm probably at around 60% right now.

Alex is some true struggle shit. Don't know how you guys do it.

Gotta embrace the struggle, that's the only way.
Hitting that boot makes it all worth it.

Weird thing is I'm winning matches I feel like I should be losing and losing matches that I'm certain I can dominate (well as much as Alex can dominate)
I've beaten most of the Chun, Balrog, Necalli, Cammy, Guile, and Zangief players I've come across, which I thought were all auto lose. Yet, I constantly lose to Bison, Vega, and Birdie...and I feel like I should easily win these. I dunno...
Every other character is pretty much a coin flip.

Playing against Guile is so fun as Birdie. Your only option which isn't very risky is building v-gauge.

As soon as you enter the area that EX Boom isn't reactable to inside of, you lose to Guile's normals on paper. And if you jump forwards over a boom Guile gets a guaranteed punish at most ranges. And once he's got you on the defensive he has the ability to throw a boom to lock you down, then go in for a Rose-style hopkick/throw mixup.

So as Birdie you sit there at full screen eating donuts whilst also eating fireballs, taking damage deliberately to build meter. Then you walk up, get Guile to block your sweep - the ONE thing you have that you can use to poke with that isn't outclassed by boom or Guile's excellent normals, and then you actually get to play whilst you're in V Trigger.

This is IMO the issue with the top tier this season. It's not that Rog/Laura/Guile/Urien/Cammy are better than Chun was. It's that we've gone from one matchup everyone hates - Chun - to five. Rog isn't fun, Cammy's not fun, Laura is SUPER not fun, Guile and Urien are "we do whatever we want" characters.

OK, being generous, most people hated fighting Mika in S1 too. So it's gone from 2 to 5.

EDIT: BTW a Japanese Twitter account called Galtu is showing off another UI speed booster. I like it a lot after testing it for a bit. Basically it removes transition times between UI screens so you can get where you want to go faster, whilst also dramatically speeding up load times. CFN is browsable now without making you want to hang yourself! https://twitter.com/galtu00/status/834053022024019969

Edzi

Hitting that boot makes it all worth it.

Weird thing is I'm winning matches I feel like I should be losing and losing matches that I'm certain I can dominate (well as much as Alex can dominate)
I've beaten most of the Chun, Balrog, Necalli, Cammy, Guile, and Zangief players I've come across, which I thought were all auto lose. Yet, I constantly lose to Bison, Vega, and Birdie...and I feel like I should easily win these. I dunno...
Every other character is pretty much a coin flip.

Matches with Alex can be weird since it can be pretty one sided if your opponent doesn't know the matchup. Once they figure out that they don't have to respect anything you do is when it gets tricky. A Chun that's halfway familiar with the matchup can completely and utterly shut Alex down.

You know, I'm actually considering Birdie myself. I tried him for fun yesterday against my friend, and he's got some serious buttons.

Birdie is fucking amazing, but you gotta have patience in a lot of matchups and appreciate the neutral. It's a lot easier with the new change to bullhead, so doing a st.mp xx medium bullhead is always possible.

Best thing is that because he's so basic, you don't need to spend too much time labbing him to "get" what he's about. It's a lot more playing by feel with this guy.

But he still has some shenanigans with can/banana setups and his AA game can be damaging AF.

mbpm1

Playing against Guile is so fun as Birdie. Your only option which isn't very risky is building v-gauge.

As soon as you enter the area that EX Boom isn't reactable to inside of, you lose to Guile's normals on paper. And if you jump forwards over a boom Guile gets a guaranteed punish at most ranges. And once he's got you on the defensive he has the ability to throw a boom to lock you down, then go in for a Rose-style hopkick/throw mixup.

So as Birdie you sit there at full screen eating donuts whilst also eating fireballs, taking damage deliberately to build meter. Then you walk up, get Guile to block your sweep - the ONE thing you have that you can use to poke with that isn't outclassed by boom or Guile's excellent normals, and then you actually get to play whilst you're in V Trigger.

This is IMO the issue with the top tier this season. It's not that Rog/Laura/Guile/Urien/Cammy are better than Chun was. It's that we've gone from one matchup everyone hates - Chun - to five.

Aren't the best games the ones where you fear everyone?

FluxWaveZ

Birdie is fucking amazing, but you gotta have patience in a lot of matchups and appreciate the neutral. It's a lot easier with the new change to bullhead, so doing a st.mp xx medium bullhead is always possible.

Best thing is that because he's so basic, you don't need to spend too much time labbing him to "get" what he's about. It's a lot more playing by feel with this guy.

But he still has some shenanigans with can/banana setups and his AA game can be damaging AF.

Well, the issue that a lot of Birdies have is that the things that made him stand out, with his fantastic footsie tools and amazing AA, were nerfed, and instead shifted to the buffs to his oki that Capcom seemingly wanted to focus on. I'd rather get his S1 cr.MP, st.MK, st.HK back than have to emphasize KD shenanigans. It's more important to learn his advantages on KDs now than it was in S1, so there's that for the labbing.

When the characters above her are all better than her, and have the tournament results to prove it.

That doesn't explain Mika being on the same tier.

I think Birdie's amazingly fun, but he's not close in power to the top tiers. He got some baffling nerfs in the change notes.

Like, they nerfed his AA, so in matchups like Karin now Karin will just jump in on you all day, because it's now challenging to consistently hit her out of the air. And he's now 100% free to cross-up pressure.

They nerfed his overhead's range for no reason.

They nerfed his st mk just as a middle finger to folks that like good buttons. "No, your button is worse now. Dash forward more or drop the game."

Season pass for $9.99? I would get it but I'm not ps plus member. Is there a free trial for someone who haven't been a ps plus member before?

I think Birdie's amazingly fun, but he's not close in power to the top tiers. He got some baffling nerfs in the change notes.

Like, they nerfed his AA, so in matchups like Karin now Karin will just jump in on you all day, because it's now challenging to consistently hit her out of the air. And he's now 100% free to cross-up pressure.

They nerfed his overhead's range for no reason.

They nerfed his st mk just as a middle finger to folks that like good buttons. "No, your button is worse now. Dash forward more or drop the game."
The first frame on that overhead was some real insane stuff, let's be real here. I played him and even I thought it was a bit too good.

I think they should have also buffed the bullhorn as an AA option to compensate for the nerf to cr.mp. The cr.hp buff to almost always be able to combo is definitely nice but it's still a slow button.

St.mk nerf is just in keeping with the nerfs that a lot of neutral buttons seem to have gotten. Why play footsies when you can hold up+forward?
Well, the issue that a lot of Birdies have is that the things that made him stand out, with his fantastic footsie tools and amazing AA, were nerfed, and instead shifted to the buffs to his oki that Capcom seemingly wanted to focus on. I'd rather get his S1 cr.MP, st.MK, st.HK back than have to emphasize KD shenanigans. It's more important to learn his advantages on KDs now than it was in S1, so there's that for the labbing.
That's definitely true, his oki being better means those situations are now a part of his overall gameplan.

Also I get the S1 cr.mp and st.mk, but why the st.hk? It's a much better button now IMO. The pushback isn't that big of a deal to me personally since it's 0 oB so it's not like you had a lot of options in that situation anyway. It was really infuriating to land a st.hk, only to realize you're too far away for any of your comboable buttons to hit.

Just play Birdie or Akuma. Those guys are fun and aren't even bad.

Also Urien.
Lol. I've already gotten to my arbitrary point of experience with those guys. FANG and Alex are my last two characters.
Matches with Alex can be weird since it can be pretty one sided if your opponent doesn't know the matchup. Once they figure out that they don't have to respect anything you do is when it gets tricky. A Chun that's halfway familiar with the matchup can completely and utterly shut Alex down.
I really think that's what it is, because I used to get murdered by Alex and I started playing as him because I was tired of losing to him, especially since he's considered terrible. I now understand why lol.

Guile's flash kick going through Akuma's air fireball is so good.

Also, please Capcom give characters back neutral jump options again. I'm tired of all this forward jump crap. Even Kolin's neutral jump double jump moves her forward.

So I tried to extract the PAKs for SFV, and the resulting install was about 12 GB larger (about 32 GB uncompressed vs 20 GB compressed). So it is understandable why Capcom chose to compress these files, even if it leads to longer load times.

To unscientifically test loading times, I set Steam to offline mode and disabled my LAN connection. I then started the game, and entered training mode twice by placing the cursor on the Training Mode menu item on the main menu, and then starting the timer and mashing 'B' at the same time. My favorite stage was set to Bustling Side Street, and I had Balrog as my character. I repeated this twice and used the second time, which means that files should be cached in memory*. The second time for packed files was just above 10 seconds, and the second time for unpacked files was just below 10 seconds, so probably no real difference. On my system at least (which has both fast CPUs and a fast SSD), there does not appear to be any benefit from unpacking files when playing longer sessions (where files will be cached), and I have gone back to packed since that makes updating easier.

However, I did notice a real difference between online and offline, evident by a longer black screen with the spinning icon. The second load of an online, unpacked SFV run (as above) took about 16.5 seconds, more than 50% longer than the offline runs.

All of these runs included TOOLASSISTED's mod.

* On my system that should be the common case, since I have enough spare RAM for Windows to cache the entire game in memory.

kobu

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";230734988]
Also, please Capcom give characters back neutral jump options again. I'm tired of all this forward jump crap. Even Kolin's neutral jump double jump moves her forward.[/QUOTE]

I think that goes against their design philosophy or whatever excuse they give for their wack decisions.

Yeah, the server is very slow and broken, so it takes a while to swap messages backwards and forwards. Good reason to have consoles offline for tournaments, if it's reproducible.

I'm warming to the notion of SFV being a better game on PC than console now, just because of the mods.

1. Faster load times
2. Support for Xinput and Directinput sticks without converters
3. Reduced input lag if you want it

It's a shame there isn't a PC-in-a-box that runs at PS4 quality cheaply. I think in the end it'd be easier to run events on PC.

stn

They should give Akuma his air fireball options in normal mode but just make them very situational. Much better than limiting the tool to V-trigger only. As it stands, he plays more like Oni than Akuma.

FluxWaveZ

Also I get the S1 cr.mp and st.mk, but why the st.hk? It's a much better button now IMO. The pushback isn't that big of a deal to me personally since it's 0 oB so it's not like you had a lot of options in that situation anyway. It was really infuriating to land a st.hk, only to realize you're too far away for any of your comboable buttons to hit.

Actually, I might have been wrong on the st.HK point. I didn't play too much with him in S1, and I thought the hitbox on it had been reduced. Apparently not: actually, the fact that he can combo into st.MP from it is great, so that's a cool buff.

I just realized something: NASA is going to host a major press conference about exoplanets tomorrow and John "left behind" Diamonon has hinted at something happening on Thursday. So maybe Capcom is about to literally leave us all behind!

Ucchedavāda;230737810 said:
I just realized something: NASA is going to host a major press conference about exoplanets tomorrow and John "left behind" Diamonon has hinted at something happening on Thursday. So maybe Capcom is about to literally leave us all behind!

Oh shit. Are they gonna put a copy of SF5 in space?

mbpm1

They can do that by increasing the defensive options across the board to allow that sort of play again. A neutral jump fireball wouldn't be so bad though.

Defensive options won't add zoning to the game. They'll just stall the offense to make more neutral.

MCD250

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";230734988]Guile's flash kick going through Akuma's air fireball is so good.[/QUOTE]
Cammy's heavier DPs can sometimes move her forward just enough that she can get under the fireball and him out of the air.

It's pretty neat.

Defensive options won't add zoning to the game. They'll just stall the offense to make more neutral.

I wasn't speaking of making Akuma into a zoning character. They'd have to increase the pushback on his fireballs and such, much like Ryu needs. I don't know if Akuma needs that, but I'm merely a tadpole with him right now, tanking my LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom