• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

It should have been her actual outfit.

They should have retconned that outfit back into street fighter 3.

Thats how good that outfit is

I like her default a lot too. The nostalgia costume is good in concept, but I don't think it works too well in game given her fighting stance.

SmokeMaxX

I need the Birdie advice.

Vs. Laura (2:27:35)

Looking back, I can tell that I'm too obsessed with constantly using Birdie's V-Skill at bad moments, which go punished. Also, I was jumping too much, which is interesting since I usually don't do that with Birdie, since he's probably one of the worst characters to do that with.

There was one time where I clearly saw the jump-in, did cr.MP, and it whiffed since she was slightly far, and then she got a full combo. Pisses me off. Birdie had one of the best AA options in the game thanks to that button in S1, but now there are distances where an opponent can jump in on you and you can't do anything, because cr.MP won't reach and cr.HP is too slow and they're not quite far enough for you to see it coming. I think it's why Bull Horn is very important as an AA tool for this character now. I have to watch their feet more and keep that charge.
Birdie's Bullhorn is actually a pretty trash antiair. It's good later in the animation of the move, but anything that comes at you fast is gonna hit you hard for a full combo. It is an important move in his arsenal though. Birdie's V Skills are trash in terms of startup and recovery. Way too hard to get out unless the opponent respects you for whatever reason. One thing that you weren't doing is bullslide on reaction to laura fireball startup. It's usually free and prevents her from getting that garbage started. Her normals were buffed so it's a bit harder in S2 than S1 though.
No dashing attacks that goes across the screen suddenly should completely safe on block, EX or not. In SF5, EX dashing attacks are too fast to react to AND almost always safe. You usually don't even need to even think about spacing when using meter.

And this is coming from an Urien player.
What's really bullshit is a lot of them anti-air. Moves like that should NOT be beating jump attacks.
Alex was the only reason I put "almost" in my post.

In V-Trigger, Birdie gets frame 1 armor AND his is safe on block on his dashing attack. Alex's armor comes several frames in and is punishable as all hell.
Thing is, Birdie was nerfed so that he could have EX Bullhead be frame 1 armor and safe (in VT). I agree that it's dumb, but you take that away from him and he goes from bad to probably the worst character in the game. I'd prefer if they just changed him back to how he was in S1.

Edzi

She looked really good in the white version of the secretary outfit at the Lupe event.

I'd consider buying it if I made progress learning her, but I'll definitely be spending FM on the story costume immediately.

Learning Kolin is going to be interesting though. She seems incredibly complicated, with low damage on top of that. V-Trigger shenanigans are going to be really fun since it lasts until she gets hit, meaning you're going to be playing some serious mind games with her counters once you've got them trying to get rid of the stunbar freeze. Unless they have projectiles.

When is it safe to agtack bison as mika? Got destroyed by a plat bison in 2 first to threes. It felt like everything he did beats me and when it is safe to hit with something its only a lk if im lucky.

I kmow its cause i suck but damn is it annoying when you feel that helpless.

mbpm1

There's another character that fits that description.

Yep, it's juri.

When is it safe to agtack bison as mika? Got destroyed by a plat bison in 2 first to threes. It felt like everything he did beats me and when it is safe to hit with something its only a lk if im lucky.

I kmow its cause i suck but damn is it annoying when you feel that helpless.
If he's plat and you're not near the level general advice won't help too much. He'll be reading. Need a video to help.

mbpm1

Learning Kolin is going to be interesting though. She seems incredibly complicated, with low damage on top of that. V-Trigger shenanigans are going to be really fun since it lasts until she gets hit, meaning you're going to be playing some serious mind games with her counters once you've got them trying to get rid of the stunbar freeze. Unless they have projectiles.

Depending on the players involved someone will want to come in or play lame, and who wants that may change as the match goes. Could be fun-esque, for this game.

MCD250

I'll probably mess around with Kolin a little bit when she comes out and then drop her. She seems waaaaay too technical for my scrubby ass.

Ryce

Fun fact: by the end of this year, SFV will have more characters who aren't playable in the SFIV series than those who are.

WQy8ucK.png

zAAb8Ue.png

Oh, I mean all the natter about game improvements, not just balance patching. Like getting the CFN servers working more reliably.

The server update was mentioned too, although the CFN part in general wasn't as far as I know.

On that note, I haven't had any errors today ten matches in. Crossing those fingers, but I'd like to assume Capcom is making changes in the background and will spring up a "LOL BIG SERVER UPDATE COMING IN PATCH" when most of the work has been getting done for months. Just need to smooth out this CFN shit and keep the errors on the low. And jesus christ cut down the loading times.

Fun fact: by the end of this year, SFV will have more characters who aren't playable in the SFIV series than those who are.

WQy8ucK.png

tTcO7db.png

I miss Abel, Seth, and Gouken, but I sure as fuck don't miss Hakan, El, fucking Rufus, and Oni.

MCD250

I never played Street Fighter IV. I was away from videogames at the time it came out and it never entered my radar after I came back. I bought it a few months ago, after V started giving me the Street Fighter bug. I boot it up from time to time, just to mess around. It took like 90 seconds of trying out El Fuerte in training mode to realize why it must have been such a pain in the ass to fight him and why people compared S1 Mika to him.

Beyond that, the main takeaway for me was that I don't think I like SFIV very much.

Edzi

The server update was mentioned too, although the CFN part in general wasn't as far as I know.

On that note, I haven't had any errors today ten matches in. Crossing those fingers, but I'd like to assume Capcom is making changes in the background and will spring up a "LOL BIG SERVER UPDATE COMING IN PATCH" when most of the work has been getting done for months. Just need to smooth out this CFN shit and keep the errors on the low. And jesus christ cut down the loading times.

I miss Abel, Seth, and Gouken, but I sure as fuck don't miss Hakan, El, fucking Rufus, and Oni.

Oni was cool, and we pretty much have him in the form of SFV's Akuma.

FluxWaveZ

It's kind of crazy that it's February 2017 and I'm still running into Ossiel123088. I would so love it if this person's Fight Money was revoked completely.

Mizerman

Always felt off to me.

SF5 immediately felt closer to the SF I'm used to than SF4 did after years of playing.

SF4 is one of the few mainline SF games that I got bored with in just a short time. Hell, I would rather watch people play the game than actually playing the game myself. Even then...

It's so ugly too.

I were Capcom I probably would have gone with hand-drawn sprites instead.

To me, it was just that the game felt off in some way to me. I gave it a chance for a couple years, then I dropped it around the time Arcade Edition came out. I found myself playing SFxT more than I did for SF4.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The 3D ultras were actually a thing that drew people to the game. Definitely the right decision. And Capcom didn't really have the 2D manpower anymore either.

Ultras were great...until you had to view them over and over again. Then everyone got tired of that shit. CAs might be cut down and less flashy but they are less intrusive overall.

Oni was cool, and we pretty much have him in the form of SFV's Akuma.

SFV Akuma is like if Oni was fun.

MCD250

If they couldn't do sprites for SFIV, then they should have gone with a style, or taken some cues from other 3D fighters or something. Soul Calibur II, which came out like six years before SFIV on less powerful consoles, had a better art direction and aesthetic than SFIV.

Skab

Honestly, the only character in for that I didn't like or wouldn't want back in 5 is Rufus.

But really, give me Makoto already.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying out these Bison blockstrings and I just really have to block it all. That's kind of a shit design.

WQy8ucK.png

zAAb8Ue.png
Neat

I just wish it were happening because of a few 3S and Alpha S2 characters instead of 5 brand new ones. They went overboard on that part for S2.

MCD250

I for sure thought S2 was gonna be maybe a couple of noobs from SFIV and a bunch of guys from SFIII, to further bridge the gap between that game and V. Then Capcom pulled that fast one on us.

Maybe next year it'll be a III/other games-themed season. They gotta put in Sagat at some point, right?

Mizerman

I for sure thought S2 was gonna be maybe a couple of noobs from SFIV and a bunch of guys from SFIII, to further bridge the gap between that game and V. Then Capcom pulled that fast one on us.

Maybe next year it'll be a III/other games-themed season. They gotta put in Sagat at some point, right?

He'll probably headline S3 just like Akuma did for S2.

Pompadour

I always thought S2 was going to be a bunch of obvious inclusions that I would be fine with because eventually they'll have to do the characters I want. Now I guess S3 will be that, hopefully.

Neoxon

To add to Ryce's point, 14 (15 counting Kolin) of the 19 veterans (20 counting Kolin) in SFV got somewhat significant design changes. The likes of Cammy & M. Bison (Dictator) also got design changes, but they were more subtle changes.
  1. Ken
  2. Vega (Claw)
  3. Dhalsim
  4. Guile
  5. Ibuki
  6. Balrog (Boxer)
  7. Juri
  8. Akuma
  9. Charlie Nash
  10. Birdie
  11. Karin Kanzuki
  12. Rainbow Mika
  13. Alex
  14. Urien
  15. Kolin*
* = Kolin's technically a newcomer by virtue of SFV being her first playable appearance, but she was first introduced in the Street Fighter III games.

Haters-Left-Behind guy told acekingoffsuit to not spoil "it", and the last thing that dude was referring to was the site problems possibly being related to an update.

This dude is playing with fire.

I'm trying out these Bison blockstrings and I just really have to block it all. That's kind of a shit design.

Once you know all his shit he has to work ten times harder to do anything to you.

WQy8ucK.png

zAAb8Ue.png

Capcom is also doing a great job at keeping redundant characters (in looks and fighting style/move set) the lowest it's probably ever been for the series.

Yo that Akuma parry was on Reddit. Dude said he noticed the Mika call and that if she has two arms up in the air it's a later drop, and if it's just one it comes out instantly or something. I forgot, but well done on him to notice and react.

We're 2 months into 2017 can we please stop downplaying bison?

I'm not. Most Bison's get away with shit because they can bully people that don't understand his gameplan. Having a flaw doesn't mean the character is garbage. You can bully Urien with characters like Cammy, Bison, or Balrog who can get their shit started earlier. Doesn't make Urien any less of a Top Five/Three character despite his mediocre defense.

Please don't nerf him Capcom he deserves this please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom