• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole thing is very weird. Why is this guy at Capcom the one dropping hints? I feel like Capcom of Japan put a lockdown on their employees teasing future updates. Ono was tweeting cryptic messages and posting super zoomed in screenshots all last year and this year the biggest reveal he's made is that there's "one or two surprises" they might announce around Evo.

My guess is left behind guy didn't get the memo because they forgot what floor he worked on or something.

I think it's more likely that Capcom doesn't really give a fuck. Like, in the sense that he can hint stuff or whatever, but the information was gonna drop today (hopefully) regardless. Him hinting is just some side shit they don't mind because less than a thousand people follow him or even care what he says.

So EventHubs (yeah, I know, but still) are speculating that the new balance patch might modify the risk/reward aspect of certain special moves in the game to bring the game to a less random/YOLO style of play. They're basing this on the fact that Kolin's special moves and even her V-Trigger seem fairly unsafe to use compared to other characters.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...te-kolins-gameplay-footage-leads-us-think-so/

I don't know how compelling the argument and evidence are (Cammy, for example, also has stupidly unsafe special moves, and she is one of the most accessible and viable characters in the game) but still, something to think about.

I don't mind if they tone down some of the YOLO shit for Urien and whatever, but at some point you gotta let that shit rock. Making things more punishable but keeping in some of the YOLO play would be fine, or hell, just up defense.

But then again Eventhubs is the same place that posted an image for 4chan made years as recent news so lol

Here's how ace responded on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFigh...dy_to_be_disappointed_or_left_behind/de47wk4/

This dude knows what's up..... :/

"Not everyone is gonna be happy"

So it's a balance patch lol

Aww it's an eSports thing probably. Not really relevant to most of us, but getting more mainstream appeal ain't so bad.

See you on Monday for that CPT stuff fam.

Edit: Okay okay, thinking about it, that's actually super cool. Fighting games being on TBS is a huge step towards legitimizing the genre, and hopefully lead other fighting games into the spotlight as well. That's a huge amount of money, and TBS taking a chance on that viewership is crazy. So it's really not nothing I guess and is more of a long-term sorta thing.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I'm always happy about a good stream, but between CPT, Topanga, ESL, Red Bull Kumite (and probably more I'm forgetting right now) more high level tournaments is pretty far down the list on the things I want from the game.

On the flipside, this gets that outta the way so we can focus on the next shit without having them hype it up on their main channels.

CPT on monday
Kolin on tuesday
Patch information next week possibly? Or sometime early March while having it drop sometime that month
Updated netcode coming in spring (though I'm more inclined to believe the netcode itself is being worked on right now and CFN stuff will get revamped early spring)
A big announcement during EVO

My biggest issue is just landing the exact dates on this stuff, the characters, and the missing content. Doesn't really matter for things like the EVO announcement, but outlining the character releases and upcoming content would be great.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, how about that. Seems like a lot of money too.

Pretty soon there isn't gonna be enough room in the calendar for all these tournaments, heh.
@TheHadou already said on Twitter:
"ELeague finals, Combo Breaker, & Red Bull Kumite are all the same weekend."

Dahbomb

Guess it's big news for SFV, but it's pretty much nothing for 99% of players.
If you are a top player who loves SFV then SFV is great. Lots of competition, big money being thrown in etc.

Everyone not in that upper echelon (or with the same opinion) is just struggling to care.

Normally I would say that having more money into FGs is a good thing but this is just stepping on scheduling of past events. It's quite frankly just intrusive at this point.

Pompadour

If you are a top player who loves SFV then SFV is great. Lots of competition, big money being thrown in etc.

Everyone not in that upper echelon (or with the same opinion) is just struggling to care.

Normally I would say that having more money into FGs is a good thing but this is just stepping on scheduling of past events. It's quite frankly just intrusive at this point.

Having more money in SFV could be a good thing if there's any evidence it's going towards development of the game.

Sayad

@TheHadou already said on Twitter:
"ELeague finals, Combo Breaker, & Red Bull Kumite are all the same weekend."
This is just stupid, and there's already conflict between Red Bull Kumite and ELeague in term of advertised players(Mister Crimson and Xiaohai invited to both)! This would make Combo Breaker the most desirable premier event for second tier top players though, lol.

Having more money in SFV could be a good thing if there's any evidence it's going towards development of the game.
There already is though, and even more money will continue to bring more costumes for the ladies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually surprised by how badly this news is being received by the community.

It's one year later and player 2 can't go to character select.
So, I certainly hope it's true, but man, that's not how it looks.

Moaradin

This is actually pretty awesome news but of course people expect the world when someone has been hyping it up for months. Though it was pretty obvious in hindsight that it wouldn't be game content related.

I'm actually surprised by how badly this news is being received by the community.

Red Bull Kumite has been amazing the last two years. Combo Breaker is largely seen as a top 3 fgc event this year. The former has amazing production. The latter will have points up for grabs, a bigger prize pool than RBK, and is also seen as one of the funnest events of the year.

The fact that all 3 events will trample on each other kind of gives a sour taste. Maybe the finals are pre-recorded. Who knows. It will suck if the finalists can't make it to Red Bull Kumite or something. It takes hype away from each of those events.

MrCarter

Why did it have to be on the same weekend....

Yeah I'm hoping they will work things out. I can't believe it's come to a point where events are now fighting over each other to host SFV lol.

This is actually pretty awesome news but of course people expect the world when someone has been hyping it up for months. Though it was pretty obvious in hindsight that it wouldn't be game content related.

I'm never trusting a word John D says about SFV. Unless it's about the e-sports scene of course. I do agree though, people got thier expectations up from a vague tweet and now they are "left behind".

Edzi

I'm not surprised. Shitty Capcom guy got people's hopes up for actual game related news, and they clearly didn't put much thought into the scheduling since that weekend is now triple booked. Honestly, it feels like Capcom is either ignoring or oblivious to the community and the game's issues.

Red Bull Kumite has been amazing the last two years. Combo Breaker is largely seen as a top 3 fgc event this year. The former has amazing production. The latter will have points up for grabs, a bigger prize pool than RBK, and is also seen as one of the funnest events of the year.

The fact that all 3 events will trample on each other kind of gives a sour taste. Maybe the finals are pre-recorded. Who knows. It will suck if the finalists can't make it to Red Bull Kumite or something. It takes hype away from each of those events.

I love RBK's presentation and the whole key ceremony and everything.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is it true that Combo Breaker is a premier event? That would be pretty stupid.

Also, I think invitationals are a great bonus, but the best FGC events will always be open tournaments.

I'm not surprised. Shitty Capcom guy got people's hopes up for actual game related news, and they clearly didn't put much thought into the scheduling since that weekend is now triple booked. Honestly, it feels like Capcom is either ignoring or oblivious to the community and the game's issues.

I doubt this is all Capcom's choice in terms of scheduling. While it certainly could have been selected better, since TBS is planning on hosting it, I'm assuming they are at least partially held to the whims of the network.

According to Rick, top talent doesn't always show up at CB anyway, but it still stings to have three events on one weekend.

Wont be a problem for streams if you have 16 hours to spare, RB Kmuite EU event > Combo breaker running on time or not having SFV as the closing game > ELeague event starting at 10pm.

Look at the players invited. A player might (depends if they make top 4) have to choose between one or the other, which just takes away some of the hype. I was already disappointed Red Bull Kumite was on the same weekend as Combo Breaker because it had a great chance of entering that CEO tier of SF majors. I mean it's already a great event, but I'm talking about viewers.

Guess it's big news for SFV, but it's pretty much nothing for 99% of players.

We already have 4 more characters coming, one of which is coming in a few days.

Balance patch confirmed.

CFN improvements confirmed for spring

30th anniversary plans confirmed, news at E3.

Additional modes/content hinted at by Haunts.

We already have a lot of big news confirmed for SF5 'non-pros'.

This Eleague announcement is huge, though.

Dahbomb

A lot of that stuff is announcement of announcements aka I will believe it when I see it.

Balance patch doesn't mean improvement either, S2 is enough evidence of that already.

FluxWaveZ

Balance patch confirmed.

A whole lot of nebulousness and vague information, with no hard dates or information.

I care about playing the game, less about watching it. It's been in a pitiful state for a long while, only with the promise that it'll get better sometime in the future. Kolin releasing on the 28th won't fix the large number of issues the game still has.

Edzi

Balance patch confirmed.

Capcom salary must be pretty good.

My point is that the type of stuff people want to hear like "new characters!", "balance patch!", "server improvements!"...

...those things have already been announced. We're already getting them.

Skilletor

Balance patch confirmed.

Putting in more PR work than anybody getting paid for PR at capcom.

We don't know shit about any of the things you've listed. No balance patch is confirmed. They haven't said there's one definitely coming, only that they're looking. We don't know shit about CFN improvements, or what that even means, or when it's coming.

They've been hinting at additional shit since the game launched and the only thing we got was a story mode. Still don't have extra battle and that was announced before the game launched.

Sayad

Look at the players invited. A player might (depends if they make top 4) have to choose between one or the other, which just takes away some of the hype. I was already disappointed Red Bull Kumite was on the same weekend as Combo Breaker because it had a great chance of entering that CEO tier of SF majors. I mean it's already a great event, but I'm talking about viewers.
Oh I know:
This is just stupid, and there's already conflict between Red Bull Kumite and ELeague in term of advertised players(Mister Crimson and Xiaohai invited to both)! This would make Combo Breaker the most desirable premier event for second tier top players though, lol.

Was just speaking about viewing conflict in the post you quoted.

Dahbomb

We don't have any dates or concrete information about any of those.

Like yeah Capcom has hinted at a balance patch but we don't know when it's coming or how comprehensive it is. Maybe it comes out next week and all they do is slightly tweaks to a few characters. That's not going to solve the problems.

The other stuff is even more vague. New content and modes could just be Arcade mode.... wow so new and exciting...

And we will see those network fixes when they actually come. Better to not get hyped over something like that when they couldn't fix those issues in a year.

Getting them on which days? What do they consist of?

What are the new KOF DLC characters?

What day do they come out? How much will they cost?

Who are the characters included in the Tekken 7 season pass?

What day will we know exactly? What modes will be in the game exactly?

Welcome to video games. Companies don't provide details until the content is almost done (because if things change, people get angry. See: Ibuki)
And, yet, if they just say nothing until then, people would get mad at that too.

Sayad

We don't know shit about any of the things you've listed. No balance patch is confirmed. They haven't said there's one definitely coming, only that they're looking. We don't know shit about CFN improvements, or what that even means, or when it's coming.
Don't know about the other stuff, but I think the balance patch is pretty much confirmed:
As previously mentioned, we have been analyzing player performance since the Season 2 balance changes. At this time, we can confirm additional changes are in the works to bring characters in-line with how we envision them to perform. We can’t share all of the details quite yet, but we are anticipating an announcement early March.

Edzi

What about us indifferents?

Also left behind. Everyone will be left behind.

Welcome to video games. Companies don't provide details until the content is almost done.
And, yet, if they just say nothing until then, people would get mad at that too.

I can't decide if you're actually a paid Capcom shill or if you're genuinely too dense to see why people are upset with this game.

FluxWaveZ

Welcome to video games.

Does KoF have significant network problems and other notable issues? Has Tekken 7 been released yet?

You're comparing the desired fixes of an already released game with broken elements that have been present for a very long time, to additional features to a game that is supposedly running fine, and gets stuff people wouldn't have even expected like a graphics update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom