• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the harm in taking a "wait and see approach" with Capcom. It's not like people are dismissing that stuff, they just want more info.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is the S2 patch. To me, it only needs to fix a few select things to make the most amount of people happy, but getting feedback on what needs to be fixed is so murky and mixed that I'm afraid they are gonna fuck it up to appease one or two groups. Like, it's nice that they are trying to fix stuff and response to the community, but unless it's to take that feedback to make a better game instead of changing it on a kneejerk reaction, it means little. Basically, I want them to adhere to that slide (while applying nerfs to the top tiers because Rog's damage is crazy).

Bear brings up a good point. Over saturation is going to make events run into each other. TBS, ESPN, and the game companies need to start collaborating so that this doesn't happen again. If people get vocal (while not getting too crazy on the complaints, which haven't been so bad on Twitter so far), it could lead to some much better collabs in the future. It's a great stepping stone, and growing pains happen, so it's important to iron that shit out now.

Does KoF have significant network problems and other notable issues? Has Tekken 7 been released yet?

You're comparing the desired fixes of an already released game with broken elements that have been present for a very long time, to additional features to a game that is supposedly running fine, and gets stuff people wouldn't have even expected like a graphics update.

What are the new KOF DLC characters?

What day do they come out? How much will they cost?

Who are the characters included in the Tekken 7 season pass?

What day will we know exactly? What modes will be in the game exactly?

Welcome to video games. Companies don't provide details until the content is almost done (because if things change, people get angry. See: Ibuki)
And, yet, if they just say nothing until then, people would get mad at that too.

KOF's netcode is still booty IIRC. Or at least it was a month ago. And Tekken 7 being in arcades was bullshit. But neither of those games pulled what SFV pulled. SFV gets rightful heat because it needs to prove to its community. KOF and Tekken already got heat for their shit, but fuck if they didn't launch like SFV did.

My point is that the type of stuff people want to hear like "new characters!", "balance patch!", "server improvements!"...

...those things have already been announced. We're already getting them.

I think the problem is people getting impatient because the game is not "fixed." (I put fixed in quotations as people's definition of fixed varies)

Theres still a lot of gameplay/technical problems people want fixed first and foremost so when these other things come up its simply not what people want even if its a pretty good thing for the community. Eleague is pretty good deal, and has done really well for the CSGO community so it could be a big plus for SFV.

So I think people simply feel Capcom is all talk and no walk which in several situations they are right. Announcements are great even if they are announcements of announcements cause at least its something, its some kind of communication, but too much talk and not enough action can bite you.

MrCarter

The only things we know right now, going by thier blog, is a possible balance update in a March and CFN improvements in Spring time. Then we will get character and content information every other month.

mbpm1

make it more like sf2

everyone get's rog damage

everyone gets rog damage on anti-airs

stun bars no longer mean anything bc stun will be random

I never played sf2

Sayad

Does KoF have significant network problems and other notable issues?
KoF and GGXrd both have worse netcode and ranked match making problems than SFV, but you barely hear it due to the userbase size. Everyone playing Xrd pretty much accepted lobbies as the only method for online play(and those work much better than SFV).

Though the thing SFV should be striving for is MKX and KI.

I can't decide if you're actually a paid Capcom shill or if you're genuinely too dense to see why people are upset with this game.

I honestly don't care whether people are upset or not. Doesn't change the fact that: companies don't announce specific details about stuff that's not ready to be announced.
Especially when it comes to exact dates. Welcome to video games.

I just gave you several examples of vague announcements from other companies, and you just blew on by them to attack me, because you're mad at SF5.

It's not a Capcom thing. All companies do this.

Skilletor

Who are the characters included in the Tekken 7 season pass?

What day will we know exactly? What modes will be in the game exactly?

Welcome to video games. Companies don't provide details until the content is almost done (because if things change, people get angry. See: Ibuki)
And, yet, if they just say nothing until then, people would get mad at that too.

KoF hasn't charged me for characters yet.
Tekken isn't out.

Try again.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think vagueness would be a problem if people had confidence in Capcom.

The only things we know right now, going by thier blog, is a possible balance update in a March and CFN improvements in Spring time. Then we will get character and content information every other month.
They only announced the announcement when it comes to the balance patch:
We can't share all of the details quite yet, but we are anticipating an announcement early March

edit:
They totally announced a roadmap at some point, didn't they?

If Capcom put out a roadmap in the next week or so people would be much happier.

So what I'm saying is

knife-and-fork-710x453.gif

I summon you, whoever works at Capcom now, to revitalize the deal you failed upon weeks ago. Deliver us a roadmap, so that we may know what is coming and when. And make the balance patch less about kneejerk reactions and giving us more defense in general.

And I shall eat.

Skilletor

If Capcom put out a roadmap in the next week or so people would be much happier.

Yup.

We had a roadmap before SF5 came out. I don't necessarily care what characters are coming, but I do care about WHEN we're going to get them. Don't charge people for a season pass when we don't know the content or when we're going to get it.

KoF hasn't charged me for characters yet.
Tekken isn't out.

Try again.

What?

How is any of this relevant to the fact that "companies never release exact dates until the content is ready"?

Again, being mad doesn't change the fact that "companies never release exact dates until the content is ready".

You remember what happened the last time they put out a roadmap, right?

It's precisely the reason why "companies never release exact dates until the content is ready".

Edzi

Yup.

We had a roadmap before SF5 came out. I don't necessarily care what characters are coming, but I do care about WHEN we're going to get them. Don't charge people for a season pass when we don't know the content or when we're going to get it.

I don't think they want to do that again because they're not confident in their ability to deliver.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that season 1 DLC roadmap was the source of a dispute between Capcom USA and Capcom Japan apparently.

MrCarter

I don't think they want to do that again because they're not confident in their ability to deliver.

That's not entirely true. Last year they met the roadmap apart from Ibuki. TheSpoiler is right, if they release a road map before CPT officially starts it will appease a lot of people.

Skilletor

What?

How is any of this relevant to the fact that "companies never release exact dates until the content is ready"?

Again, being mad doesn't change the fact that "companies never release exact dates until the content is ready".

It's precisely the reason why "companies never release exact dates until the content is ready".

People got mad because one character was late. For the most part it was on time?

So because they missed one date by a month, they shouldn't give consumers a single clue about the shit we've bought?

Skab

Is it true that Combo Breaker is a premier event? That would be pretty stupid.

Also, I think invitationals are a great bonus, but the best FGC events will always be open tournaments.

Wait what? Why would it be stupid? Combo Breaker is one of, if not the best majors out there right no and absolutely deserves to be. Would be stupid for it not to be.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wait what? Why would it be stupid? Combo Breaker is one of, if not the best majors out there right no and absolutely deserves to be. Would be stupid for it not to be.
I'm saying it's extra stupid to have these other two big events on the same weekend. Taking away the spotlight Combo Breaker deserves.

Lulubop

People got mad because one character was late. For the most part it was on time?

So because they missed one date by a month, they shouldn't give consumers a single clue about the shit we've bought?

This dude is a fucking joke. He gotta be some paid shill or astroturfer. Are you the left behind guy, Lone Dragon?

MrCarter

I'm saying it's extra stupid to have these other two big events on the same weekend. Taking away the spotlight Combo Breaker deserves.

Think that's more on the TO's and sponsors though so I'm hoping they manage to negotiate and sort it out.

What?

Listen my dude. I love SFV. I love SF. I love Capcom. I'm a huge stan for them. I've dumped in hours into SFV and will keep doing so barring some dumb decisions like removing half the cast from the game and replacing them with pictures of Marm's face. Obviously I'm invested, and so are thousands of people going by streams of ESL, NLBC, and even this forum at some random points. Despite the problems, it's a great game, and Capcom has done a bunch of things right.

But at the same time, they've done a bunch of things wrong. And to keep people happy, you need to detail those fixes. Doesn't mean you need to tell them when, but that they are coming. It's a step towards fixing those issues. A simple roadmap telling people what's coming would be awesome. Doesn't have to relay dates or whatever, just, hey, we have an arcade mode on the way.

Capcom needs to do this versus other companies because they've earned their ire and scorn. Other companies don't do this shit because they don't piss off their consumers as much. FFXV just told us of their general road map after "fucking up" (although that game did more good than the internet would leave you to believe). You can't expect people to blindly trust a company until they produce results. That's unreasonable, and this is coming from someone who thinks SFV gets shit on way too much.

The EL thing is amazing. Shows Capcom wants to support their game, and that networks are looking at the genre as a source of money. It's a huge step and can lead to some great long term things, but you can't begrudge people for not caring if they want less errors and not having their points taken away at random.

What I'm saying is you can be critical of the company and the game and still love it.

ElFly

prrog and some other asshole arguing on twitter that command grabs should be 6f

fuck off assholes! if you are getting command grabbed, just press up. unless you are in recovery, it is a perfect command grab defense

Dahbomb

Typical Lone Dragon response.

Can't think of a way to defend SFV anymore then relegates to crapping on other games.

Tekken 7 isn't even god damn out yet...

The issue of the roadmap was the lack of communication between USA and Japan Capcom divisions. So far we have not seen anything to suggest that the miscommunications are fixed between them.

And we are not talking about exact dates on content that is coming out half a year from now but stuff that was A) supposed to be in the game to begin with B) content that is supposedly coming within a month or C) fixes to current problems. An ETA is fine too... just none of this "new stuff coming soon guys!" Just makes your fanbase angrier.

kirblar

fuck off assholes! if you are getting command grabbed, just press up. unless you are in recovery, it is an perfect command grab defense
Command grabs were 2F in SF4. I don't understand the complaint.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

fuck off assholes! if you are getting command grabbed, just press up. unless you are in recovery, it is an perfect command grab defense
I get that one. It's a pretty different RPS to have command grabs beat block and attacks. Usually not how it works. Tick command grab is amazing in this game.

Edzi

fuck off assholes! if you are getting command grabbed, just press up. unless you are in recovery, it is a perfect command grab defense

I mean, it all ties back to there being no defensive options in this game. I don't think it's an issue with command grabs specifically.

Plus, Alex's command grab does no damage and has almost no range. If you're gonna nerf that, you better give him some serious buffs first.

FluxWaveZ

I think it's because of the 6.5f lag. People don't like how the delay means that oftentimes you'll feel like you pressed up, but you get grabbed anyways.

CurlyW

Already a top SFV player has asked for Saturday pools at Combo Breaker so they can compete in E League finals on Friday.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
human reaction times are waaay bigger than that even for young people
But that gets added on top of your reaction time. You could probably feel it if you could compare a 2 frame and a 6.5 frame input lag version of a game. Top players certainly can. And it's obvious when you compare whiff punishing in this game to others.

FluxWaveZ

human reaction times are waaay bigger than that even for young people

It's not that simple: it's not about straight up reaction to a move, but how it affects even pre-emptive reactions in this game. I've heard top players say that even the 8f to 6.5f change improved how they could react to certain moves like Ken's V-Skill cancels. That kind of stuff is the reason people are so vocal about it.

BadWolf

Really? If this is what you have to use to defend SFV/Capcom then lol.

They announced the new content just this weekend at a tournament and the trailer clearly states that more info is coming in March.

SNK doesn't fuck around when it says something these days, when they say it they really mean it. They have left Capcom and many other companies in the dust when it comes to proper communication (which is still shocking to me considering how horrible and near non-existent SNK's fan communication was before the 'revival').

Vice

What?

That isn't necessarily true. Looking at Mafia 3 its roadmap has been out for quite sometime and the DLC was being worked on until recently IIRC. Battlefield and CoD release their content plans with a rough schedule before launch. Zelda BotW had a launch date set before the game was done. Same for many games.
Film companies announce their lineup and release dates before filming and editing are done or even have started. Book and music publishers do the same.

kobu

Really? If this is what you have to use to defend SFV/Capcom then lol.

They announced the new content just this weekend at a tournament and the trailer clearly states that more info is coming in March.

SNK doesn't fuck around when it says something these days, when they say something they really mean it. They have left Capcom and many other companies in the dust when it comes to proper communication.

missed opportunity for a haters left behind joke

I've been playing way more xiv thanks to season 2 being hot garbage.

ElFly

But that gets added on top of your reaction time. You could probably feel it if you could compare a 2 frame and a 6.5 frame input lag version of a game. Top players certainly can. And it's obvious when you compare whiff punishing in this game to others.

well but then command grabs are intentionally designed so they are 1f slower than jabs -sometimes even 2f-

you rarely can whif punish a jab even with less input lag, dunno why you should be able to stuff a command grab that's only 1f slower on reaction; if the input lag is lowered, command grabs should be faster too, even if it means jabs no longer hit them

if we can go back to SF4 style where the input lag is lower but command grabs are 2f or something, that's not that bad

I get that one. It's a pretty different RPS to have command grabs beat block and attacks. Usually not how it works. Tick command grab is amazing in this game.

I am not that sure a command grab is supposed to be a RPS with attacks and blocks; they have insane recovery in ways that most other special moves short of shoryuken don't. a _regular_ grab is in RPS with attacks and blocks. everyone has one, they have short ranges -so they can be prevented with attacks- and they recover fast. command grabs are supposed to beat attacks. in SFV they actually nerfed them by making them slower than a jab but normally the range will make up for it

tick grab has always been good, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. that's the whole point. well dunno if they were in 3S but I played Alex who was v bad. maybe with Hugo they worked

Vice

The gap between V and Ultra on PS4 or Xbox is about 1.5 or less frames of input lag. About the same amount as the PS3 versions of 4. It feels a bit overblown at this point especially with slower command grabs.

Shadoken

It probably helps that they're basically rallied around one huge game, with token support for their legacy library.

I get the impression that SFV is an underfunded skeleton crew. Which is pretty fucked up to do with an IP like this. The game's getting on TV, improving on twitch, is straight up mainstream in terms of SF2's cultural impact...

Capcom should've treated SF like an investment instead of figuring out how to quickly make money off a smaller project by cutting exclusive deals and releasing long before it was ready.

Acting like this is a game as a service project on top of that, with absurd MMO level downtime to go with it, is the icing on the cake.

I don't blame anybody working on this project now. it has all the signs of people trying to do a lot with few resources.

Honestly working in an underfunded environment like that is just depressing. You usually have to work more hours to make up for stuff. Then all you get is negative criticism from the fanbase as well. That just really demotivates anyone working on the game.

Really shameful of Capcom to have treated the Franchise,Dev team and fanbase this way. Just to make a quick buck.

MrCarter

Honestly working in an underfunded environment like that is just depressing. You usually have to work more hours to make up for stuff. Then all you get is negative criticism from the fanbase as well. That just really demotivates anyone working on the game.

Really shameful of Capcom to have treated the Franchise,Dev team and fanbase this way. Just to make a quick buck.

This. It's absolutely disgusting the way Capcom have treated the developers and artists surrounding this game because they deserve so much better. Without them creating this battle system, with some of the best visuals around in a FG, they would have been in even more trouble than they already are with thier consumers.

Shadoken

Wow I just saw the eLeague stuff. That guy on twitter wasnt kidding when he said we will get left behind. Its invite only.

Why cant they spend this 250k to hire two more Server engineers , god fking dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom