• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooncakes

Is anyone in the same situation as me? I only login to this game once a week to get some free Fight Money and thats it.

The only time I play this game now is at my university weekly gathering but I cant play it no more for more than an hour or so. I only play this game because of my friends.

MrCarter

Wow I just saw the eLeague stuff. That guy on twitter wasnt kidding when he said we will get left behind. Its invite only.

Why cant they spend this 250k to hire two more Server engineers , god fking dammit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's Capcom who fund the prize pool for these side tourneys. At least not the majority.

Is anyone in the same situation as me? I only login to this game once a week to get some free Fight Money and thats it.

The only time I play this game now is at my university weekly gathering but I cant play it no more for more than an hour or so. I only play this game because of my friends.

I just log in for the weekly FM unlocks too but right now I'm 2 cheevos away from 100% so I'm gonna play ranked until I unlock them.

Shadoken

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's Capcom who fund the prize pool for these side tourneys. At least not the majority.

Am assuming they are spending something. From a marketing perspective , considering its on TV . I think SFV benefits a lot more than eLeague.

Zackat

I'm curious, do you think Capcom has done anything wrong with this game?

wonder why he didn't answer this

Kappa.png

edit: So we got left behind with more e-sports (cool stuff, all-in-all) but the base product still needs so much work. I will watch that shit on TBS tho.

ElFly

Wow I just saw the eLeague stuff. That guy on twitter wasnt kidding when he said we will get left behind. Its invite only.

Why cant they spend this 250k to hire two more Server engineers , god fking dammit.

they outsourced the online infrastructure to some mobile company

Skab

For the sake of clarity, its 16 of the top competitors from last years CPT, and 16 direct invitees, of which we know 3 so far. (Marn, LI Joe, and Gllty.) No one else has said anything yet, as far as I have seen.)

Edit: Jwong just confirmed his invite.

ElFly

I remembered this. Looked it up and came upon an r/SF thread from last year. Some reddit dudes figured that the Korean company only provided a network and server solution. In an older November 2015 article Destructoid writes that SFV's netcode is proprietary and goes by the name 'Kagemusha'.

there are two different issues here that we should not conflate

the online infrastructure are the servers for matchmaking and stats. they are kind of slow and stats are regularly lost -even more now! a year after launch!-. maybe the matchmaking can be made faster if the artificial delays in the UI are removed, but there's no guarantee the servers can withstand the load in that case. they were outsourced, as mnz says, to a korean mobile company called nettention

the other issue is the netcode. that's the part that goes directly between players letting them actually fight each other, making it p2p, except in some instances where the connection is routed through servers -this is unplayable-. that's probably propietary and probably called kagemusha

Shadoken

For the sake of clarity, its 16 of the top competitors from last years CPT, and 16 direct invitees, of which we know 3 so far. (Marn, LI Joe, and Gllty.) No one else has said anything yet, as far as I have seen.)

Edit: Jwong just confirmed his invite.

I want Bonchan to get invited , I hope he doesn't get left behind.

Shadoken

Hes going to be at Red Bull Kumite that weekend. (RBK, ELeague, and Combo Breaker are all the same weekend, unfortunately.)

WOW... WTF is that planning? I understand that they are all not CPT. But its not like Capcom doesn't have any say in the matter. Its as if they just signed this deal yesterday or something.

Blueblur1

So DreamHack Austin 2017 is a premiere event and at the end of August. That means we'll have a premiere a little over a month after EVO in 2017 as opposed to two months later like in 2016 (Japan Cup). It may be presumptuous but maybe it bodes well for the spacing of Premiere tournaments in 2017?

Ignore this. I screwed up and either found something with outdated info or misread the dates.

DHA runs April 28-30. Two weeks after NCR which makes zero sense to me.

Just hit 6000 fighters points. Getting close to that Ultra gold. Honestly it feels like I'm just hoeing that fight money so I don't have to pay for Ibuki.

If I get a season pass, do I get all the fight money back that I spent on characters?

MetalGearSilly

Neo Member
I responded to your reddit thread, but to repeat mysef. I think its less why he can do that and more why can't you do that too

Probably to retain "character variety." I mean fine, keep the crushes but at least force the player to use meter/v-trigger if they want a true conversion after it. It's free damage and undeserved wins/losses all-round in its current state.

Though there is a point to be made regarding how dumb some of the CC fishing can be in this game.

Glad you could see past the snow of salt (that was so evident in my video) and make a fair remark.

And, to add, it goes beyond that. It's not just fishing for dmg, but a corner carry that will most likely get you the win due to the lack of wake-up options in this game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I just had one of these Urien rounds. Full hp, he gets CC st.hp, does a corner carry combo. He does the overhead kick into a combo into a reset and the round was over. That's pretty insane.

edit: That charged overhead is +2 on block lmao

MetalGearSilly

Neo Member
I just had one of these Urien rounds. Full hp, he gets CC st.hp, does a corner carry combo. He does the overhead kick into a combo into a reset and the round was over. That's pretty insane.

Yeah and without using any meter. He needs that for the second round to finish you off with super.

@TheHadou @JWonggg @CurlingW @Tasty_Steve we will make 100% sure that the eLeague contestants can make it to CB. We will also promote it.

https://twitter.com/diamonon/status/834904700155658241

I know John can be full of it but I doubt he'd say something like this without being able to back it up. If that's the case, Capcom helping players get to CB and continuing to promote the event is a pretty decent thing of them to do.

Edit: One of the big issues around the end of CPT was Capcom not taking care of the players. Hope this is a sign of them caring more.

Pompadour

Remove crush counter properties from normals, leave them for DPs (and maybe specials?).

I think CCs need an adjustment but this feels like removing the entire point of CCs. Maybe they should make all CC normals punishable on block. Priority normals already solve the SF4 jab issue anyway.

I have an honest question for you all.

When you lose, is your first reaction to blame yourself and your decisions or the character or the game?

For me, my first emotion sometimes is to let the salt take over and call bullshit. Mostly because of ego. I haven't really assessed what happened and why I am losing/or lost.

When I really sit back and analyze, alot of the time I am making bad decisions.

I know the limitations of my tools. Yet sometimes I am making decisions based on what they used to do, or what I feel or think they should do, not what they do. Not adapting.

Aot of times I am not putting in the work to learn the properties of other peoples tools and how mine interact with them.

I am not making data driven decisions. I look at my replays and go why the fuck I did do this or that.

I just bring this up, I see alot around the internet/boards/chats Tiers this, character X wins so and so that.

I get a feeling alot of people don't really know why they are losing. Everything is not their fault. No lab time put in. They are not getting outplayed, they are getting gimmicked or just losing because of tiers. Nobody can take or admit an honest L.

I am not innocent of this. I have spent many a night cursing Chun or Urien and being like this fucker wouldn't win without those more powerful tools, lol.

But maybe flip side. Maybe this guys would not be winning without these characters. To me, with the better characters, you have more wiggle room to make mistakes and take chances. You are taking lower risk for higher reward. Alot of your bad decisions will be covered for, You are allowed more of them.

idk, just thinking out loud, haha.

Man, it happens and it's always gonna happen. Just gotta teach yourself to think more analytically and overwrite that salty knee jerk reaction. Easier said than done though, if I play online long enough it really starts to get to me.

Pompadour

Yeah, as the game goes on I am really starting to feel how the V-System and Crush Counters don't really add any interesting element to the game.

I love the system but I'm not a fan of the execution. My dream Street Fighter was for the extreme character uniqueness of ASW games but not with God awful BlazBlue designs or a million different meters.

My main issue is V-Skills are afterthoughts for a lot of characters like they're supposed to be 3S style taunt buffs. The CC system feels like an overcorrection to SF4's lights dominant gameplay.

Shadoken

Yeah, as the game goes on I am really starting to feel how the V-System and Crush Counters don't really add any interesting element to the game.

Calling it a V-"System" is giving it too much credit. For many characters V skill is just another special move and V trigger is an Ultra install.

Some V skills are good enough that they are able to interact with other special moves or movement and affect how the character plays. Some V skills like Cammy,Karin are literally just fking move swaps.

My main issue is V-Skills are afterthoughts for a lot of characters like they're supposed to be 3S style taunt buffs. The CC system feels like an overcorrection to SF4's lights dominant gameplay.

This. Shit like Alex and Mika are pretty much just 3S taunts.

Edzi

When you lose, is your first reaction to blame yourself and your decisions or the character or the game?

For me, my first emotion sometimes is to let the salt take over and call bullshit. Mostly because of ego. I haven't really assessed what happened and why I am losing/or lost.

When I really sit back and analyze, alot of the time I am making bad decisions.

I know the limitations of my tools. Yet sometimes I am making decisions based on what they used to do, or what I feel or think they should do, not what they do. Not adapting.

Aot of times I am not putting in the work to learn the properties of other peoples tools and how mine interact with them.

I am not making data driven decisions. I look at my replays and go why the fuck I did do this or that.

I just bring this up, I see alot around the internet/boards/chats Tiers this, character X wins so and so that.

I get a feeling alot of people don't really know why they are losing. Everything is not their fault. No lab time put in. They are not getting outplayed, they are getting gimmicked or just losing because of tiers. Nobody can take or admit an honest L.

I am not innocent of this. I have spent many a night cursing Chun or Urien and being like this fucker wouldn't win without those more powerful tools, lol.

But maybe flip side. Maybe this guys would not be winning without these characters. To me, with the better characters, you have more wiggle room to make mistakes and take chances. You are taking lower risk for higher reward. Alot of your bad decisions will be covered for, You are allowed more of them.

idk, just thinking out loud, haha.

It depends on how I lose and how I'm feeling that night. If I get beat by a YOLO Urien who's throwing out random EX tackles, you bet your ass I'm gonna be salty. Being Alex further compounds the salt.

But usually I can recognize when I got outplayed, and while I might still be annoyed I'll try to at least think back to what I could have done better.

I usually blame myself. I'm just not hard on myself when I do that because nothing in life is worth that self critical mindset on a serious level. It's a game at the end of the day though. I can take a bunch of losses if I don't care about winning. Playing games with fun combat systems is always my main motivation for playing shit like SF anyway.

Bigg_Oggy

My salt stems from my own mistakes. Fudging inputs, dropping combos, not adapting to the opponent's playstyle...

I can only get pissed at Urien's ex tackle so much before I really think about the situation. 'I saw it coming. Why didn't I jump/block/v-reversal the first hit?'

It looks random in the moment, but thinking back they telegraphed when it was going to come out (v-trigger cancel, certain spacing, etc).

Maybe pro players blame other factors (not including themselves) because their is more on the line in a tournament.

I'm like "huh...ok", while I quickly analyse what happened in that round; don't really get salty/upset, even if it's some yolo ass scrub srk masher.

FluxWaveZ

Any loss is my own fault. It's only natural: I lost. A result of bad decisions, lack of knowledge, lack of experience, etc. Obviously, there can be some external factors such as distractions, lag, etc. But focusing on those enters the realm of excuses, so I always think back to the bad decisions I made.

Actually, at our weekly this week, there was a loss that I'd purely contribute because of the monitor lag. I felt shitty saying that after I lost the set 0 - 2, because I know how it sounded, but there at least were other people saying they felt it. The monitor was replaced, I didn't feel the lag anymore, I met the same opponent in losers finals, and I won 3 - 0.

I can only get pissed at Urien's ex tackle so much before I really think about the situation. 'I saw it coming. Why didn't I jump/block/v-reversal the first hit?'

It looks random in the moment, but thinking back they telegraphed when it was going to come out (v-trigger cancel, certain spacing, etc).

Maybe pro players blame other factors (not including themselves) because their is more on the line in a tournament.

However, even though a loss is always one's own fault, that doesn't mean there aren't characters who have stupidly good tools that they shouldn't. The challenge comes from finding ways around them, and if you get hit by it, it's still your fault. But that doesn't mean you should simply excuse its existence. Urien's EX Tackle is actually too good. Its properties are too good. No move that comes out that fast, goes at that range, does that much damage and can also cancel into a game winning V-Trigger should be 0 on block.

It's obviously my fault when I lose, and getting mad about the way the game is is a way of reminding myself how the game is played (risk/reward).

I'll be winning, then try and play footsies against people and lose. So I'll go "this game has no sodding footsies". Or I'll get someone in the corner and they get out for free - "oh yeah, blocking sucks so it's usually better to take risks to get out."

I mean, this is literally a game where you get punished for blocking, so it's silly to play the game the way you'd normally play a SF game.

As a Birdie main the way I usually lose is due to the opponent winning the risk/reward game - my neutral game is solid enough that the opponent must take risks to win. So I eat pure SFV bullshit more often than, say, a Chun player has to eat it.

Skab

Punk got an invite. Also

@TheHadou

CB will have screens available for watching both the E League Finals and all of Red Bull Kumite over the weekend. No worries on that front.

Combo Breaker continues to be the best tourney for players.

Fake Edit: Gootecks and Valle got invites!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom