• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCarter

https://twitter.com/diamonon/status/834904700155658241

I know John can be full of it but I doubt he'd say something like this without being able to back it up. If that's the case, Capcom helping players get to CB and continuing to promote the event is a pretty decent thing of them to do.

Ah that's nice of them. I'm pretty certain things will work out and even if it doesn't, it means we get another huge event that pushes the FGC and SFV into the limelight.

SFV has three top tier events now with pots of:

E-League - $250K
EVO - Likely over $100K
CPT Finals - Likely over $230K depending on DLC

That's a LOT of cash.

I blame myself when it comes to losses. Games will always have bullshit and shit you gotta get around. Gotta just suck it up and win like Du says.

Probably going back to Balrog for a while until the patch hits. He's cheap as fuck in some areas, but I recently found out how to play in a more entertaining way (at least, for me) by being more movement based. I wanna dance, fam.

Might go back to Akuma here and there, and Bison as well. Urien will probably get some work, but I think I've solidified my mains for now. I want to see what the patch brings before investing in these characters that take longer for me to work with. Balrog just fits, sadly, and that was before the update broke his ass open.

Ah that's nice of them. I'm pretty certain things will work out and even if it doesn't, it means we get another huge event that pushes the FGC and SFV into the limelight.

E-League - $250K
EVO - Likely over $100K

That's a LOT of cash.

Yeah, John seems to be heading this stuff and trying to make more eSports stuff so he's on it. Props to him and Capcom for doing that.

Lol Valle already considering dropping Ryu if the patch doesn't fix him. Don't blame him. Some characters take too much work to win with. Get that Rashid, boy.

MrCarter

T1_SFV_press_release.jpg

E-League SFV trailer:

https://youtu.be/dulRNTz4SCg

E-LEAGUE to Feature Street Fighter® V Invitational Beginning March 27:

Turner and IMG’s ELEAGUE will further expand its esports portfolio by staging its first-ever ELEAGUE Street Fighter® V Invitational. The inaugural event will feature 32 of the world’s best Street Fighter® players competing live from G Fuel ELEAGUE Arena in Atlanta beginning Monday, March 27. Capcom’s Street Fighter V is a wildly popular video game featuring stunning visuals that depict the next generation of World Warriors in unprecedented detail. The game’s exciting and accessible battle mechanics deliver endless fighting fun that both beginners and veterans can enjoy.

Statement from Craig Barry, VP of Turner Sports:

"Street Fighter has a rich history and an extremely deep and passionate fan base and we’re thrilled to further diversify our ELEAGUE portfolio with this exciting esports title,” said Craig Barry, Executive Vice President & Chief Content Officer, Turner Sports. “We look forward to bringing a new experience to ELEAGUE and collaborating with Capcom to capture the authenticity of the live event competition while telling a rich narrative surrounding the game, its characters and the players.”

Statement from Kiichiro Urata, CEO at Capcom USA:

"Our fighting games and esports initiatives are extremely important sectors of our business and partnering with ELEAGUE provides us with an excellent opportunity to deliver the excitement of live Street Fighter V competition to a wider audience,” said Kiichiro Urata, Chief Executive Officer at Capcom U.S.A., Inc. “Teaming up with one of the leaders of live event experiences is another step forward for the Street Fighter brand, and we can’t wait for newcomers and long-time fans to see our beloved franchise presented in a new and unique way.”

http://www.eleague.com/street-fighter-v/news/press-release#YIpmcJPvY5qO

I'd love to see Mena RD there. (He also seems like a great R/Kappa choice if his S2 Birdie is as good as his S1 was.)

Can't believe Gilty was invited. She's a good player, but come on. Clearly there are better players who would make the competition more interesting.

edit: Even Gootecks was invited. lmao

I just wanna say that trailer is as TBS as you can get. Three characters, random clips of characters fighting it out in story mode or against the CPU, and cheesy narration.

It's horrible, but kinda cool to see fighting games get normalized like that lol

MCD250

I think CCs need an adjustment but this feels like removing the entire point of CCs. Maybe they should make all CC normals punishable on block. Priority normals already solve the SF4 jab issue anyway.
That's not a bad idea either. I'm all for anything that keeps crush counters from neutering the neutral game to the extent that they are now.

I have an honest question for you all.

When you lose, is your first reaction to blame yourself and your decisions or the character or the game?
There is nothing to be gained from not blaming your losses on yourself tbh. If I get angry when I lose, it's almost always at myself, because I know for a fact that those matches would have been winnable if I'd just been better. And so there is a drive to become better.

Skab

Can't believe Gilty was invited. She's a good player, but come on. Clearly there are better players who would make the competition more interesting.

There are plenty of already really good players coming from the CPT last year, and it's nice to have more regional representation in the US instead of it just being cali/ny players. (Gllty is from St Louis.)

Edit: for the record, these are the confirmed players from CPT

Liquid|NuckleDu
EG|Ricki Ortiz
GGP|Kazunoko
MJS|Haitani
RZR|Fuudo
GRPT|MOV
YouDeal|Yukadon
HM|Go1
RB|Luffy
RZR|Xian
BX3|Phenom
BST|Daigo
MD|Mister Crimson
GW|Eita
PG|Filipino Champ

vulva

interesting list so far of those invites. li joe, punk, wolfkrone, marn, gootecks, gllty, justin wong, pr rog, valle, lpn and some others I'm sure I missed

I asked him on stream and he said he wasn't going. Sad. Wanna see that Wolf runback. Could see Rog or Wong taking it, but S2 is already fucking crazy so who knows.

half these players are boring to watch

Punk is fun to watch. If LI Joe puts in more work with his Urien he could be fun. Marm is a dick and doesn't think so he'd be great. Valle is fairly fun to watch most of the time. I'd rather watch Smug than Rog tbh, Smug's control is insane. Wong and LPN are good but vanilla af and Wolf does whatever he wants. Glity isn't bad but Arts setups just look more fun.

Shadoken

E-League - $250K
EVO - Likely over $100K

That's a LOT of cash.

Wasn't ESL 75K last year? Possible chance of that repeating.

Man I wish all this money was put in during the SF4 era , when the SF brand had soo much positive word of mouth. Right now we have all the marketing and money but the game is just underwhelming.

LMAO @ Gootecks invited.

Isnt Valle even worse , I recall gootecks doing well early on in SFV. But I have actually never seen Valle play at all.

Blueblur1

Seeing that Gootecks and Valle were invited it's clear to me that Capcom is picking these folks for ELeague and purposely hooking up long time, well known American players.

There are plenty of already really good players coming from the CPT last year, and it's nice to have more regional representation in the US instead of it just being cali/ny players. (Gllty is from St Louis.)

Edit: for the record, these are the confirmed players from CPT

Liquid|NuckleDu
EG|Ricki Ortiz
GGP|Kazunoko
MJS|Haitani
RZR|Fuudo
GRPT|MOV
YouDeal|Yukadon
HM|Go1
RB|Luffy
RZR|Xian
BX3|Phenom
BST|Daigo
MD|Mister Crimson
GW|Eita
PG|Filipino Champ

There are, but still. I love that Punk and Krone are going, but Gootecks and Gilty? This is a competition. You could point to their personality, but TBS is only showing a recap of the first round which would eliminate 8 players. I would have invited Idom and Smug as well.

MrCarter

Wasn't ESL 75K last year? Possible chance of that repeating.

Man I wish all this money was put in during the SF4 era , when the SF brand had soo much positive word of mouth. Right now we have all the marketing and money but the game is just underwhelming.

I think so, ESL are doing these King Of The Hill weeklies too. As for SFIV, I'm not too sure about it having a huge positive word of mouth, especially in its early years. It's just now, due to social media, everything and everyone is far more vocal and hyperbolic, so it seems like SFV gets more hate. Personally, SFV is a good game and the gameplay and presentation is top notch but as a package it leaves a lot to be desired.

kirblar

Seeing that Gootecks and Valle were invited it's clear to me that Capcom is picking these folks for ELeague and purposely hooking up long time, well known American players.
They're there because they're a) high profile and b) jobbers. (relatively speaking, neither is a bad player, but putting up some "easy cuts" makes sense.

Dahbomb

They should honestly send an invite to Mike Ross too.

I am actually being serious. If they are going for personalities/high profile/jobbers then Mike Ross is the perfect candidate.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I have an honest question for you all.

When you lose, is your first reaction to blame yourself and your decisions or the character or the game?

When I lose a lag-free match to someone who seems more skilled, I think to myself "they deserved that win." When I lose to someone who keeps catching me with the same shit over and over, I get mad but only at myself.

Then sometimes, like tonight, I lose to two turtling Guiles in a row and I get mad as fuck. I want to blame their boring, shitty style, but I know that's the salt talking. Guile just isn't a good matchup for me without any warm up. And I can tell that I'm not in a good mood for SF tonight.

Mr. X

I already hate E-Lesgue not having an open bracket. These are some n-tier SFV players. Add a few csgo players with a passing interest in SFV while you're at it.

Sayad

You need jobbers to hype the other players, ELeague knows what's up. I'm expecting JWong's long assumed dead brother to make a comeback at this event, disconnect Wong's stick causing him to lose and setting up an EVO MM between the two.

Blueblur1

They're there because they're a) high profile and b) jobbers. (relatively speaking, neither is a bad player, but putting up some "easy cuts" makes sense.

I didn't think about it that way. Hmm.

You need jobbers to hype the other players, ELeague knows what's up. I'm expecting JWong's long assumed dead brother to make a comeback at this event, disconnect Wong's stick causing him to lose and setting up an EVO MM between the two.

I literally laughed out loud when I read your post.

MCD250

Man, this post really sneaks up on you.

Dahbomb

Justin Wong's evil twin brother Jackie Wong about to awaken from his slumber and light up the FGC.

Forgotten just like F.A.N.G.

Edit:

Street Fighter V won fighting GOTY at the Dice Awards tonight.

KOF XIV was robbed.

Again.

I thought SFV won the salt award. Everything about this game makes people salty. Bullshit Urien, Crush Counter Blazblue bullshit without the complexity of Blazblue, Defensive play being destroyed, Shoryukens losing to meaties, Command Throws not being what they used to, Rainbow Mika getting her ass nerfed and that plump lucious ass bullshit being added onto Laura making her ass J-Lo Booty Evolved levels of stupid. Everything about this game triggers people. If I was in control, I would make this game 3-4 frames instead of 10 frames. Then I would make another grappler character that actually combos into her grabs more like a KOF character like Clark Steel or Shermie. Then I would make Rainbow Mika's ass bigger and give her a second super where she does the SUPREME PEACH where she smothers the tv and just feels so good.

Mizerman

Lulz.

ElFly

I think CCs need an adjustment but this feels like removing the entire point of CCs. Maybe they should make all CC normals punishable on block. Priority normals already solve the SF4 jab issue anyway.

yeah I am starting to think that one of the two systems should go; either we get CC normals but for the non-CC normals attacks trade regardless of strength, or you don't have CC normals and have the priority

I'd rather cut down on CC normals that aren't charged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom