• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Lol, seriously. People just want the characters they like to have everything without really thinking.

Besides, Ed's v-skill is already kind of like a grab.
Is it that telekinetic grab? That thing is amazing and probably even more useful than his fireball. Without it he'd be Alex tier for sure. Even a single great midrange option makes all the difference in the world for a potentially shitty character. I didn't even touch Ed. I only played the beta like 2-3 times.

Lol, seriously. People just want the characters they like to have everything without really thinking.

Besides, Ed's v-skill is already kind of like a grab.
Until they have everything and everyone bitches about that character being OP. So having a low tier character means you get to use that OS forever...

Is it that telekinetic grab? That thing is amazing and probably even more useful than his fireball. Without it he'd be Alex tier for sure. Even a single great midrange option makes all the difference in the world for a potentially shitty character. I didn't even touch Ed. I only played the beta like 2-3 times.

I think it's plus on block but it doesn't mean you get a free throw from it. It also has 1,000,000,000 recovery on whiff.

Was Birdie much better in the beta?

I know people talk about other characters feeling complete and robust in terms of additional moves and such, but his changes make me feel like he's "finished"

Returning his cr mp back to a better state makes it a quicker AA so he can get the more nimble people off his shit without having to rely on bull horn. The cr mk getting a frame faster lets me poke people and keep them in the right ranges easier. EX bull head getting knocked down to -5F is fine - I'd rather just combo into that instead of yoloing all day anyway. And getting armor earlier on ex bull horn makes it kind of a reversal (but not really since you can still be grabbed)

any hidden chun buffs in the beta?

A few Alex players think that st lp and cr mp got buffed, so maybe something happened to Chun and we didn't see it? You never know with Capcpom

kirblar

I liked the beta, but it seems to be out of stock on Amazon. Is there a new physical version incoming?
It's felt that way, yeah, though nothing's been announced. I don't think Best Buy's stocking Vanilla SFV for a while either.

Base+S1+S2 digital has gone on sale a few times for $50.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Ed doesn't need any more tools, but he sure as shit needs his combos to be more consistent.

also, ironically for a character designs to have an easy movelist, his flicker is really hard to get out without accidentally getting psycho upper.

Ed doesn't need any more tools, but he sure as shit needs his combos to be more consistent.

also, ironically for a character designs to have an easy movelist, his flicker is really hard to get out without accidentally getting psycho upper.
Makes character with claim that his moveset is easy, then gives him a mash input move.

Well, they tried.

Beginners love mash input moves though.

They're just hard if you want to use them in combos (which is an advanced thing.)
Been playin' these games for 20 years and I still can't piano those.
uIZxiK0.png

If ever there was an arbitrary method of inputting a special move, it's mashing buttons to do a move. Always hated it.

If there's one good thing about E.Honda making it into SFV, it'll be that his hands will probably be qcf motion.

Man I haven't played since December but I just tried the beta and I think I love Ed

Fuck maybe I should start playing again

Is the online scene desolate these days? Can a shitty Silver player like me still get matches or is it just Golds and Plats? The thing I hate about fighters is that the communities always dry up after a year so the less experienced players usually just give up

I am silver and just play casual match and find plenty of matches. Its easy to find matches at any rank. Infact its prob harder the higher you go because less people are in your skill range. For example there like 300-400k people in you range as a bronze (no idea how many of those are active but still). As a silver there is maybe 100k-200k. As a master there is like 3k lol.

But i do know there are still a lot of people playing casual and ranked in the lower ranks and its not hard to find matches at all.

There are even bronzes in battle lounges.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I am silver and just play casual match and find plenty of matches. Its easy to find matches at any rank. Infact its prob harder the higher you go because less people are in your skill range. For example there like 300-400k people in you range as a bronze (no idea how many of those are active but still). As a silver there is maybe 100k-200k. As a master there is like 3k lol.

But i do know there are still a lot of people playing casual and ranked in the lower ranks and its not hard to find matches at all.

There are even bronzes in battle lounges.

I'm still rookie ranked on my ps4 account, because I only really play offline. Which has given the shits to a looot of Gold+ players in battle lounges when I do bother.

Nope. It's separate.

I jumped into ranked (which I rarely do) for the beta just to see where I level out among the masses. I gained 500lp fairly comfortably, leveled up Birdie a good bit and unlocked a couple titles. I knew it wouldn't carry over but it's given me a reason to persist with ranked.

I played with Ed a bit this weekend, not too much cause of Injustice 2. Maybe roughly 30 matches with him.

He seems like a well thought out idea but just poorly executed. His specials not connecting from max distance is really bad imo, since at that range he won't really be a threat. Having a button mash special with the chances of getting another special out for pressing 2 buttons is really poorly designed.

2 Button AA DP is really good though. The okay-ish damage he gets off of max distance CC st.HK is how I think most characters should be instead of getting a full combo.

I feel like he could've easily been a hybrid character with some mash attacks and some motion attacks. Flicker could've been mash with Psycho upper (2 button thingy) being a QCF.

While he V-Trigger can be scary, having no overhead makes defending it a bit less stressful.

I hate mash moves. Been playing FGs a long time. Still can't do them when I want, haha. QCF motions are actually more casual and low execution to me.

myco666

I know people talk about other characters feeling complete and robust in terms of additional moves and such, but his changes make me feel like he's "finished"

Returning his cr mp back to a better state makes it a quicker AA so he can get the more nimble people off his shit without having to rely on bull horn. The cr mk getting a frame faster lets me poke people and keep them in the right ranges easier. EX bull head getting knocked down to -5F is fine - I'd rather just combo into that instead of yoloing all day anyway. And getting armor earlier on ex bull horn makes it kind of a reversal (but not really since you can still be grabbed)

I think the EX Bullhead -5 oB nerf isn't that big of a deal. Most of the time you push the opponent far enough that they can't punish it. Also you should never rely on bullhorn as a AA unless you are playing against Akuma or are in v-trigger.

I think the EX Bullhead -5 oB nerf isn't that big of a deal. Most of the time you push the opponent far enough that they can't punish it. Also you should never rely on bullhorn as a AA unless you are playing against Akuma or are in v-trigger.

Exactly. Changing the armour from frame-1 to frame-3 would have been a much more effective (and still fair) nerf.

If Capcom is smart they'll wait until after EVO. The time for the update has long since passed. Ain't nobody serious about winning EVO is waiting desperately to take main Ed either at this point. May as well release it afterwards
with no extra balance changes that are sorely needed

dawgparty

Anybody have tips for Laura? Especially vs. Cammy? I've just started playing her and have a really hard time with Cammy's rushdown(seems like every character does).

Also is there a list of upcoming buffs?

We'll probably get a blog post concluding this beta test, like we did last time.
However, the last time that post was made 2 weeks after the beta ended, so I wouldn't be expecting anything soon.

If Capcom is smart they'll wait until after EVO. The time for the update has long since passed. Ain't nobody serious about winning EVO is waiting desperately to take main Ed either at this point. May as well release it afterwards
with no extra balance changes that are sorely needed

I hope they won't do that.
Regardless of Ed, the quality of life changes are sorely needed.

Also is there a list of upcoming buffs?

Laura's getting nerfed, a little bit:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2017/03/15/street-fighter-v-season-2-balance-update

Masamuna

For flicker I've had success pianoing LP~FP. If I try any other pattern I risk getting PP out.

Slight charge FP feels pretty nice after pushing yourself with a blockstrong. Mixing it up with regular FP and max charge FP to keep them guessing in what to fish with and either force jump or block to allow you to get in again.

If I'm at tip range and hit with c.mk I usually go for flicker. It's still not constant however can still hit. I guess f.mp could also serve the same function.

Is he at disadvantage off of regular vskill on block?

Why is Ken's feint so slow? On wakeup I have all sorts of tricks in my head for a high low game but I just get jabbed out of it all the time. Come on Cap, makes these moves good!!! Lol

Kinda hoping the AA jab buff isn't true. We can definitely solve most issues characters are having without resorting to super low damage deterrents that don't really do anything to discourage reckless jump ins.
I really hope that secret Alex buff is true.
The biggest secret buff he needs besides frame one EX slash elbow armor is an old property of his st.HP in 3S. Back then it caused hard knockdown on airborne opponents like Urien's st.HP in SFV iirc. Bring that back and let him get oki off it and it kills two birds with one stone (he is a grappler with barely any oki and he, like most reversal-less characters is super lacking in the AA department). Crouching heavy punch AA leads to EX air knee strikes (or regular ones if the spacing is perfect) and st.HP against shallow jump ins shuts down the constant random jumps. Gives him some variety. I mean, it's either that, AA jab, a cr.HP/f.HP hitbox buff or re-purposing f.MP as a fast command normal with a large ROM+Hitbox like it was in 3S.

The beta was a mess of people using shallow jump ins all day since crouching heavy punch barely works against those.

LakeEarth

I've already come to terms with the fact that Alex will be the Deejay of SF5. Starts off low to mid-tier, but with some tools that make him scary. Nerf those scary tools in the first patch, and give him grossly insufficient "buffs" to compensate. Buff him little by little upon future patches, but other character's buffs outshine his, so the end result is still a net negative. Never return him to his former self.

Top Bottom